• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategy for approaching(offensive)

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I'm a reletively new Fox player, and i can't seem to find a good way to really approach people. Any advice? I'd especially like to hear how to approach, other Fox, Peach, Falco, and Marth players, and when to drill shine them, and what should i use when i WD out of a shine?. Oh and any advice on getting around Zeldas foot would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
Well somting thats pretty easy is to run at someone, crouch and shine. Do this a few times and they'll begin to shield. That's when you start grabbing instead of shining. My Fox isn't really great or horrible though, so I'm not sure how much my advice means.

Aiko

Smash Champion
I have several approaches.

My bog standard approach would be a running shffl'd nair. Obviously its good to throw some tricks in there like wavedashing, dash dancing, short hop waveland etc to keep things varied.
My next approach would be a running JC'd grab which often leads into up throw to uair, or down throw to up smash or tech chase.

I then have some lesser used approaches like shffl'd bair or dair. I use bair sometimes because it still has high priority but i generally use it when my opponent is running in the opposite direction so i hit them when their shffl misses me. dair is usually into a shine for combos or if i want to kill, then into upsmash.

One that i use quite often is my basic approach into a grab. So I can run to shffl'd nair into grab. At low percentages you get a grab provided your first hit connects. If they shield then the grab is quite quick to nab them out of their shield. If I notice they shield grab well then I use shffl'd nair into shine into JC'd grab. The beauty about this is that they get shined if they try to shield grab and you grab out of your shine for a very quick attack leaving very little options for your opponent.

A good idea is to watch a lot of different fox vids to find approaches and try to copy them. This will give you a good basic understanding of what you can do against people and then you should try to incorporate your own style into it.

Here is what I would do for the certain characters you mentioned:

Fox: I would grab more often than usual because you can chain throw fox with fox's up throw. Up throw to upsmash/uair is great too.

Peach: I would try to approach as little as possible because peach is very dangerous to fox. I would use alot of lasers, play a controlling game. When I get an opportunity to attack, I would shffl'd dair to waveshine, to upsmash. Peach has high traction so your waveshine should leave you right next to her, perfect for upsmash. If you're really good you can tack on an uair after the upsmash too.

Falco: Falco has a huge advantage here with his lasers, so I would go as offensive as possible. stay as close as possible so he doesn't have room for lasers. As with fox, lots of chain throws and up smashes. uair isn't quite as effective in general as falco's dair has huge priority. only use uair if you definitely know its going to hit e.g after a high % upthrow.

Marth: For marth you must play control aggro. That is when you're far from marth, use as many lasers as possible since marth has no long range attacks. As soon as his within range for his sword, either get away asap or go very offensive. You dont want to be tippered. Beware of going offensive though as marth can chain throw fox very well (provided the player is decent)

For your last questions: generally you should wavedash out of your shine (waveshine) everytime unless you want to do something special like grabbing out of it or upsmashing out of it. This is usually when someone shields your shine. Drillshining should be used when you want to start up a combo, but dont rely on the drill as it has medium-low priority. Nair is better at lower % and Dair at mid %, obviously at high % you want to kill so dair to upsmash or dair waveshine (drill waveshine) to upsmash is quite good.

hope it helps :)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
There are sometimes different approaches that vary depending on which character you're playing. For example, the most often used appraoch when a Fox is playing a Falco is to full-jump nair.

In my case, I like to mix up my approach to prevent from becoming predictable. This is where platforms play an important roll in how I get my hits. Usually, if I'm playing on Dreamland or Pokemon (stages with platforms in general), I like to run up, jump on top of the platform, then wavedash off the edge with an aerial. The aerial can be pretty much anything. A bair to shine, a nair, even a drillshine -> grab/u-smash. This is my most general platform approach. As far as ground approaches go on stages such as FD, I like to incorporate some tricksies into them. I'll sometimes run up, then the second I reach them dash backwards and reverse SHL. This usually gets the opponent to either try and grab you, or they'll short-hop something, leaving themselves open.

Honestly, I've developed my approaches over time. I can only say that the same will go for you.

Just remember that you don't always want to approach. Like in the Peach vs Fox match up, dash dancing until you see an opportunity is the way to go, along with other "gay" camping methods. =P
I won't get into that though, I figure that you know not to always approach and you were just looking for approaches? Or were you?

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Yeah, Fox has pretty good control of the matches, since his lasers are better than most projectiles, so you can make them come to you. Full hop triple is my favorite, since I can DI and not be as predictable. When they start charging at you(and gets pretty close), run toward them with a SH nair. it's pretty unexpected.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Camping = Fox auto-win.

I don't know how many times I've avoided a cheap tournament Fox ditto where the whole match is u-throw -> u-smash by just waiting by the edge, up throwing and then shine spiking.

Fox wins.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I love to camp my friend, the most fun ever, when we do money matches I just do whatever to win, wether it is 6 shines across the stage to a shinespike....

Anyways, a really good approaching thing to remember,,,, Know when to approach, and when to camp! if you are winning and 60 bucks is on the line with 20 seconds left, across PS, with a wobbling IC waiting in his shield.... you should know what to do!

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Reading these boards even when I have no answers is so great. When people ask questions, n00bs like me can learn something. :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I loooveee camping and SHDLing non-stop lol. Ask anyone thats played me :).

Top Bottom