• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategy against cowards

Unexplanetory

Smash Cadet
when i read the first post i realized a great a strategy.
stop using ike. he's bad.
Ike isn't bad :/

Your playing a camper in the same room as you, and your finding it challenging? All you have to do is camp right with him, then play mind games and annoy him. Say things like "Oh wow this is a lot of fun, we should camp more often lawl" Use lawl as it is ridiculously irritating. Just keep trash talking him until finally he comes at you, worse comes to worse you play a 1 hour game and all your friends get pissed at the camper.

Now if your playing Online, refer back to post 3.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
Ike isn't bad :/

Your playing a camper in the same room as you, and your finding it challenging? All you have to do is camp right with him, then play mind games and annoy him. Say things like "Oh wow this is a lot of fun, we should camp more often lawl" Use lawl as it is ridiculously irritating. Just keep trash talking him until finally he comes at you, worse comes to worse you play a 1 hour game and all your friends get pissed at the camper.

Now if your playing Online, refer back to post 3.
but ike IS bad.

slow laggy moves, EXTREMELY limited recovery, pretty bad grabs, his range is taken away by the fact that his moves are so slow, and his aerials have way too much lag, let alone startup lag.

Rangles

Smash Rookie
Might not work on bacon spamming g&w but my heated battles with my friends wolf on final destination are the absolute worst, being that I play Ike also.

Best bet is midair SIDE B, shield grab or as someone said before the super armor frames from eruption.

It's annoying as hell but it's not cowardly, him fighting you close range the whole time would be absolute suicide. It's the best strategy he's got.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Ike isn't bad, he's easily one of the best characters in the game when played correctly.
any way as for the thread creator.
I guess he knows that I am going to charge at him one way or another, front, back, over, and starts spamming before I move.
. I need to work on edge-guarding (Ike is my main now).

You've answered your own question.
stop being predictable. If your opponent "knows" what you're going to do, you're not playing the game right.
as for ike, he's easy to counter attack if you don't play him right. Use his jab combo, its quick and powerful. use back-air its and powerful.

you must space well with Ike. Keep your opponent at the tip of your sword. short hop backwards with a neutral aerial or forward aerial.

USE IKE FORWARD B against turtles, and release it at different times so as to be less predictable.

i wouldn't say he's a coward, i would say he's playing smart, and you are not. Don't just (as you put it) "charge" in with blind attacks hoping they connect. i'm not saying its impossible to play aggressively, but you'll have to learn your characters moves and your opponents moves and tendencies, you have tom ake your opponent mess up and then learn the best way to counter it
as mentioned before, running up to an opponent and shielding often works. then you can shield grab, or do aether out of shield.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Super Campy players are the easiest to beat because they have such a predictable playstyle. Don't get frustrated, just WATCH exactly what he does, recognize his patterns and punish him so hard he'll never want to camp again

RYAN_K

Smash Rookie
Campy players are annoying, just don't play against your friend until he stops playing like a boss on an old megaman game.

marth rocks

Smash Rookie
edgeguarding w/ ike hmm-use the b move-i use marth so i just lunge out in2 the edge and slash em

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
a strategy for your problem is to, number 1, if you still plan on maining ike, try attacking with his fair if you are forced to charge.

and for your edgeguarding dilemma, try edgehogging into a bair, you drop quickly-double jump, then bair him as he tries to get to the edge. you then have to upB to get back on the stage.

ike isnt a very good character for edgeguarding, but if you want to main him, that strategy tends to work.

Madcowdesease

Smash Cadet
if your not good against that kind of char just use zamus always Zamus is the best Cheep Player Killer cause she moves fast, has basically the longest range melee attacks, and half her attacks paralyzes the enemy so don't have to worry about it
of couarse if you don't want to change chars when going againsts him, then either practice to actually be good at the game so you can get better
or get a new main char that is better rounded to your tastes.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Fake it up. Camp when he camps, annoy him until he charges at you.

but really, don't be a scrub, you're playing against a turtler playstyle, it's not something "cheap" at all, merely a way to win the game.

mattc1231

Smash Apprentice
Fake it up. Camp when he camps, annoy him until he charges at you.

but really, don't be a scrub, you're playing against a turtler playstyle, it's not something "cheap" at all, merely a way to win the game.
i dont even care if thats a playstyle, its annoying as hell. but ya so i dont think anyones even said ike's side b. it can be so good for mindgames since you can hold it forever. and then if you miss with it and are right in front of the person you can quickly do eruption and the lag time for it to hit reduces a little

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
when someone is a douche and just runs away i kill myself and let them win. if they don't want to fight me then i don't want to fight them. also, doing this makes them question me and i tell them i don't like chasing, i like fighting. making them look like an ***.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Campy players are usually pretty predictable... even without advance tricks you can usually dispurte their pattern somehow.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
Campers who know their high-priority moves can certainly be a tough match if you're a very aggressive player. I know in Melee, Turtle-Samus would rock my Marth until I learned to sit back and bide my time, try and force openings and juggle the **** out of her once I landed an attack.

The EASIEST way to beat a camper in Brawl would probably be to select Toon Link and spam bombs (thank god explosions work properly again!), arrows and boomerangs until they get tired of YOUR camping play ;)

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Sand person:

I completely know where you're coming from. We've got a similar situation with out group, theres 4 of us altogether and we always have good fights... But theres one of us who we call a 'vulture' because he normally runs away and spams Snake's grenades from afar - and then after WE'VE dealt the damage to each other an are like at 80% he comes in and kills us whilst we're fighting.

Then lets say if there are only two people left, me and him. He'll stay afar and spam grenades or whatever, and if I get close and attack, he'll shield grab. So you gotta do the same, take advantage of your characters special abilities.

So what I normally do is two things:

At the start of the match I CHARGE at him immediately, shield grab, Pit's arrows, Marth's tip, everything and anything until he's down two lifes. Then carry on fighting the others thus he'll have no chance of winning the match.

The second which I find more funnier, is I say to my friends 'Andrew's being a ***** and has two more lifes than us, lets take him out'

Both work really well, although you may want to try the latter rather than the former.

Reikan

Smash Rookie
Yeah, we have someone like that in our group (6). He'll try to stay out of the thick of things, and throw turnips in the process. Then he'll whoosh in and smash people AFTER they've already been damaged. He says he's "waiting for an opening", but I don't believe that, considering that he'll spam turnips for a minute at a time, and never taking openings. Lol.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
I fought against an extremely campy player just a few days ago and, the only advice I have is short hopping quick draws and, never lose your patience. Don't. Lose. Your patience. Trust me, I know its insanely difficult to keep your cool against a camping Pit, but impatience will be your downfall ultimately, not the opponent. Like others have said, campers are extremely obvious, remain calm and analyze them.

And as for the people saying not to use Ike, thats less helpful advice than "stop being a scrub", not everybody gets a kick out of using Marth and Wolf.

If you really get tired of fighting a projectile-happy camper, and truly tried to counter them for a while, then just pick Pit and hold his mirror out till they cut it out.

Zero000

Smash Rookie
Ike's Side B. seriously. its great, doesnt matter if you have to hit him or not, it just covers so much distance. just make sure you dont make any stupid moves when hes running away (IE Ike's recovery lag) cause he might just come back and punish you.

also Ike's Air side B does wonders. just get some height and start charging.

since i use snake alot, i just use a nikita and just mind games the rest. i might send the nikita up in the air, cancel it and then dash at the opponant making him forget the nikita is falling down towards him. espcially with Snake's mines and c4s, its really easy to set this up so the person cant run away

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Now this is the type of problem I'm having: Facing Cowards. Mostly it's just a cheap Fox who runs to the other side of the stage and shoots his stupid laser while my Poor Bowser cant do a thing about it. Same apply to facing a Samus that missile spams, with a charged shot afterwards. Sometimes a face an Arrow-Spammin' Link. Basically this tells you that I usually face cheap Projectile-usin' cowards.

Thankfully I have Pit and his Mirror shield to back me up.

Still, they are annoying! I never liked those 3 Space animals and their cheap blasters. Again, I'm glad that Pit is on my side to help me counter those cheap Projectile-spamming Cowards.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Now this is the type of problem I'm having: Facing Cowards. Mostly it's just a cheap Fox who runs to the other side of the stage and shoots his stupid laser while my Poor Bowser cant do a thing about it. Same apply to facing a Samus that missile spams, with a charged shot afterwards. Sometimes a face an Arrow-Spammin' Link. Basically this tells you that I usually face cheap Projectile-usin' cowards.

Thankfully I have Pit and his Mirror shield to back me up.

Still, they are annoying! I never liked those 3 Space animals and their cheap blasters. Again, I'm glad that Pit is on my side to help me counter those cheap Projectile-spamming Cowards.
They're using a tactic. That's not "cheap". It's a part of the game.

also, if you're allowing Fox to get to the other side of the arena, plz lrn2play Bowser. D: You should always be on top of Fox/near him, on the offensive to stop him from Shining you and then spamming laser.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
lrn2play Bowser!? That is so insulting... seriously
And if that's not cheap, its a cheap tactic then.

Once again, I'm glad i main Pit so i can counter Projectile spammers. My Bowser could own an average Coward, but Pit fits well in countering this type of enemy more than Bowser can.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
Use ike's side b, also, you could try the trusty Small hop+fair, or the RAR+Bair as your approaches.

In general, against a coward, if you and your friends are brawling it out (i'd assume it's a 4 player FFA), have more than just you go up to attack the coward, draw him into the fight, and keep him in the fight.

On another point, in melee, I had a friend that was just insane at melee (well, compared to the rest of us), and on hyrule, he would just hide on the left side, and nobody would bother him, because if we did, we'd get punished badly. So yeah, he was just lazy, but if we all teamed up on him, then we could at least have a chance of winning in the end.

For edge guarding as ike, use Ike's Eruption. Works wonders for edge guarding. Also you could use dtilt, or just pursue him with a fair or a bair.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
lrn2play Bowser!? That is so insulting... seriously
And if that's not cheap, its a cheap tactic then.

Once again, I'm glad i main Pit so i can counter Projectile spammers. My Bowser could own an average Coward, but Pit fits well in countering this type of enemy more than Bowser can.
wait a second

Mostly it's just a cheap Fox who runs to the other side of the stage and shoots his stupid laser while my Poor Bowser cant do a thing about it.
My bull meter is rising.

But again, countering campers and ranged spammers is really only getting past their projectiles and knocking them up, Pit works well for this, and you can also use Dedede and just throw Waddle Dees and Doos constantly. Poking him with an ftilt is really, really good for messing ranged spammers up, and then you can move in with a chaingrab or something.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The part where you bolden some of my words... I could take out a Projectile-spamming Link (sometimes) but Fox's speed is a major problem in which my Bowser has. Then again, Fox was one that I always hated.

As for Dedede, I use Waddle dees for projectiles, but he tosses them somewhat slowly, allowing Fox's Rapid fire to knock out the waddle dees.

Zelda's Din's Fire i could use perhaps, but I dont think I'll be relying on her as much as I rely on Pit to get rid of Projectile Spammers. Zelda does have that Up+B that is useful, but she isnt as Fast as Pit and her Reflector only lasts less than 1 second per use, while Pit's mirror shield can be held for a much longer time.

The point im trying to get at is that Fox is the main trouble for my Bowser (not just Marth and Ike), since he gots projectiles, a reflector, and some speed that Bowser doesnt have. Other characters I face I usually get around them, depending on who i use. Maybe I shouldnt use Bowser against any Coward with projectiles. That's why I'm using Pit to fill in these weaknesses.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Random question. Why is Ike so violent? His attacks are just so angry lol
1)He saw his father kill his mother
2)He saw the Black Knight Kill his father (i think)
3) he has a Holy sword named Ragnell
4) he becomes ****ing buff in Fire Emblem Radiant dawn

Brawl/Path to Radiance Ike

to Radiant dawn ike

Zero000

Smash Rookie
ah, i forgot to mention it in my first post that you should know about Ike's side b. i bet alot of you guys already know it, but its good to mention. when ike is in the air and does Side b, he travels alot (duh). but when Ike is on a platform and does side b, it wont let him fall off. meaning like those dinky platforms are semi useless if you want some distance.

also learn Ike's side B range when in the air on a long piece of land

Top Bottom