• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

strategies with the doc

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
i just started to really get into ssmb and im trying to get really good especially with dr. mario. what are the best strategies to use when using him?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
read the guides... they are here for a reason.

welcome to the forums. Meet your new best friend: the search button. A lonely, under appreciated person, he hides in plain sight at the top of the page. He knows EVERYTHING thats been posted on this site, and will gladly give up his secrets FOR FREE. All you need to do is click on him, and press advanced options if you are feeling up to such a challenging task.

martyrofevil

Smash Cadet
reflect projectiles with his cape and his cape can be used for recovery (->B)
his jumping ->A is such a powerful attack (you can kill most enemies at 80% damage with it)
if you are playing against more than one player, standing back and shooting pills is a good way to take of damage and your opponents probably won't notice if their busy attacking another enemy. Do NOT attempt to spike an enemy, the Doc is the only character without one.
and Doc is the only character whose leg drop (jump A) does more damage the longer it is out.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Doc has easily one of the best projectiles in the game, so use it a lot. He can chaingrab a lot of people with his dthrow, and fast fallers like fox, falco and falcon he can chaingrab with his uthrow at lower percents, then his dthrow at higher percents. As for his moves, here's how it breaks down.

SMASHES

U-smash: IMO his worst smash. Don't get me wrong, it's still good, but his fsmash and dsmash are better. In a lot of situations his utilt would be better
F-Smash: Great damage/knockback but poor range. Use it if you know you're going to get a hit and punish your opponents lag with it.
D-Smash: Good range, great knockback. IMO his best smash. Great after some shffl'd uairs

TILTS

U-tilt: IMO his best tilt. If done while close enough to your enemy or directly under your enemy, it will put them directly above you where you can proceed to uair shffl the hell out of them
F-tilt: Doc's farthest reaching move (correct me if I'm wrong), and quite quick
D-tilt: His worst tilt. It's a fact. I can't give you much info about it since I never use it.

AIRS

U-air: All of your combos will most likely involve some shffl'd uairs here or there. It's my favorite juggling move in the game as you can move across the stage very fast while shffling it. Also, you don't need to L-cancel it if you do it right after you jump (so really, it should just be shff'd uair but people still say shffl'd :p)
F-air: One of doc's best killing blow moves. Uthrow or Dthrow your opponent (depending on how heavy they are/how fast they fall) and finish with a fair for the kill. Punish your opponents mistakes with a shffl'd fair.
D-air: I probably don't use this skill as much as I should, but it is his worst air. Again like the usmash, don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but it's just the worst out of the five
B-air: Arguably doc's best aerial. Amazing edge guarding move and great if you waveland it (Called a SHBAWD)
N-air: This is a good sex kick that does exactly the opposite of other sex kicks, and that is, it gets stronger the longer it's out. Put a few of these in your approach.

B MOVES

Neuteral B: As I said, one of the best projectiles in the game. Spam it but don't let it's lag get you killed
Over B: The cape. Quite a versatile move, yes, a versatile move indeed. You can use it to reflect projectiles back at your enemy at double damage, it will help you recover, it turns people around (good for edgeguarding people like ganon or falcon), and you can easily turn yourself around in the air and grab the ledge (hard to explain... watch SmashMac's video).
Down B: The tornado really should never be used in combat. If you've mastered the PTP (meaning you can go as high as possible with this move) use it in your recovery before your doublejump.
Up B: Aside from being a recovery move, this moves only other usage would be the Up B cancel, which is very hard to do, but can be effective.

I hope this helped you. Go watch SmashMac's video and you can learn how to utilize these moves properly.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
"D-air: I probably don't use this skill as much as I should, but it is his worst air. Again like the usmash, don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but it's just the worst out of the five"

I don't know if it's the same for Doctor Mario, but for Mario, d-air has the most priority out of all the aerial :o I like to use this followed by an u-air or u-tilt and combo from there.

Top Bottom