• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies for Free for All

Lorcl678

Smash Apprentice
I joined a little game club after school and they happened to have Smash. I joined in Free for All and even though I was the only one doing the advanced techs, I was the one getting pulverized (like dying first). I know FFA doesn't really determine your skill but it would be convenient to win. Any good strategies for FFA?

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
or you can be like my friend who plays CF and randomly jump in with backwards falcon punches and say 'FALCON ****ED!'

HolyChef

Smash Ace
i feel ur pain. i hate playin free for all but its the only way to play around here in college and the dorms. only play 1vs1 with one person and once in a blue moon before a tourney with others in the dorm to get ready for it. but yeah free for all gets gay here in my dorm when theres an obvious double team going on against me and others when its 3 people left. really pisses me off when noone lets me edgeguard and do other thigns as well.
as for being successful. just camp in a corner or pick on a weaker opponent. i see it happen all the time and people who do it are cheap and gay but successful. also what the others said is true, u gotta steal kills. looks so good at the end showing you kills off and also it evens up or gives u the advantage with stock. if possible dont be in the middle of the stage. bring the fight as far as u can form the other 2 so u dont get mixed u pin their fight or get hit with something big out of nowhere.

Anemone

Smash Rookie
Much like 1v1 the most important part of FFA is your placement. Personally I always try to keep myself to the outside position of the fight. The person who is stuck between two other players must defend against two threats and can only hope to attack one player. The outside players have the ability to attack two people while only having to defend against one. Another strategy is to let the other people fight. If you don't feel that your character is well suited to breaking up a fight and knocking both people off the side then feel free to stand at the middle until they come to you. Oh and another important part of FFA is to forget any manners that you may have. Feel free to make your friend pay for edge guarding the other guy, attack someone while they are in a delay from attacking someone else, etc. Always attempt to reduce the number of players as quick as possible as well. If you're the most skilled person there you will benefit most from a less chaotic environment.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Play as Fox or Falco and spam SHL is what I do. If one of them get's fed up and attacks you, **** him. If two of them do, retreating SHL is your friend, lol. I word of caution though, if you do this with Falco, you'll get attacked fairly quickly because his gun is more noticeable (the stun. Duh, lol)

Also, if you're Fox, use the shine to steal kills. For example, if someone knocks someone off, and they obviously can't recover, just wait for their upB, then jump off and shine them so that you're awarded the kill. You can get an easy 1-3 extra kills a game doing this if you watch for it, sometimes more (my record is 5)

By the way, if your spacing is good, Marth does very well in FFA. Spaced fairs/dfairs, bairs, ftilts and fsmashes are hard to get through in 1v1, let alone FFA. If you do that properly, not many people will be hitting you. +bonus points if you can fair away projectiles. People will get angry at you, lol.

EDIT: I'd also like to stress what Anemone said about not getting stuck in the middle. Try to keep to the outside of fights as not to get surrounded. There's nothing worse then that in FFA.

Top Bottom