• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stratagies for Banana Placement when Oponent Respawns?

Nitrix

Smash Ace
On FD (or in general), do you have any specific ways that you place the bananas when your oponent is respawning? I like to release a banana near the edge of FD, and wait with a banana in hand. When they spawn, 80% of the time they go for the banana that I left on the ground. So I double jump over them while throwing the banana downward and they get hit by the thrown banana before they get to the one I left as bait, which usually gives me a free aerial.

I know it is fairly dependent on the stage, but for do you guys have any stratagies that you use when an oponent is respawning?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
similar to urs but for the first respawn i place banana on opposite side of a stage and keep my other banana and myself on the opposite side to test their mindset/mindgames. if they go for banana they fall for my trap and i approach if they go straight for me then i continue as normal. On second respawn depending on what they did the first i do the opposite to keep the mindgames in place and try juggling the bananas in the air while zcatching z dropping into z throwing upwards just to stall my mindgames lol. but i usually mix it up. i never keep a banana on the ground unless i know my opponent likes to spotdodge or roll dodge against certain moves then i throw/place them in the appropriate places. but be cautious cuase fast characters can just **** all the above up like mk argh >_<

Saltix

Smash Lord
I like the method DFear uses.
I usually just place take two out, and keep them juggled in the air until they come at me :p

Player-1

Smash Legend
I throw away all my bananas to get fresh one's then I pull 1 out and keep it in my hand and when my opponent approaches me with invin frames I full hop of the edge while pulling a second banana and then I midair jump up to the stage and throw my banana at my opponent to waste their invin frames and I usually hit them and get them into a mini banana combo or a banana lock

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
hmm interesting, I never really thought of throwing the bananas away as it just seems...well crazy, but it actually makes pretty good sense as you have the time and it you will get a nice fresh banana. I am going to start trying that/

Usually when my opponent respawns I will hold one and keep the other right next to me, when they come to grab it with there invincibility I upthrow the one in my hand and quickly grab the other one. Bananas in the air are harder to get and its a pretty safe way to make sure they don't get one. And even if they jump up to go get it they will be a sitting duck up there and you can up throw naner to uair or something or just hit them when they land. The timing is the crucial part you have to up throw the naner right as they go for it.

TreK

Is "that guy"
i'm going to steal that "^^
I usually throw one upward and keep one in my hand, but it gets predictable and the opponent can easily pick up my second banana...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I usually either get fresh ones or do fancy showing off tricks like dribbling and shiz. But the mindset idea someone said earlier looks pretty nice though. It can exploit what habits and how you can counter them.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
this is a very useful and pertinent thread. I am a diddy secondary, and this is important to me since i am not as comfortable with diddy yet as i am with Pit. Thanks Nitrix!

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
For me, it varies with the character I am fighting, as well as the stage. Usually, I will (try) to throw away all the old ones, and get a fresh one in my hand. Then, I jump off the stage, and at the peak of the jump (with back to center of stage) pull another banana out. This has the banana land close to the edge of stage. There are several advantages and disadvantages to this:

The good:

1) You will usually be safe from opponent hitting you, since your so far from them.
2) They pay attention to either the banana or you, but both can hurt them.
3) If they get rid of the 2nd banana, you still have the other to aid w/ recovery + have a banana out.
4) It stalls their invincibility time.
5) If they shield the 2nd banana it will bounce up, and by the time it falls they're invincibility should be gone. Not only is this a good time marker for you to get back and attack, but it also puts a banana right next to them.

The bad:
1) They can catch the banana and throw it off stage or at you. Not really bad, just makes you seem like you wasted your time making the banana.
2) They can keep the banana and actually use it. Generally its not too bad since you can throw the banana at them before you grab edge, and can usually get rid of it/get it back. Typically what I see is, they throw it down, up, or hang onto it. If they throw it up, it's an easy catch. Just make sure you've tossed yours already. If down, again just air dodge on it and quick throw. If they hang onto it, who knows. Usually I just Edge->Fastfall->Jump->Fair.
3) The opponent can disregard both, and just go for you. Typically at an angle that you can't throw a banana at them. What I do here is press z to drop banana, then b-air to try and hit opponent and catch banana. (Unless its a character with a fast/long rane aerial, then I dodge)

Top Bottom