• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop with the Quotas.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I feel like Smash is becoming Soviet Russia. "Comrade! Have you met your quota this time?" Except the quota isn't steel and potatoes, it's Super Mario and Pokemon. With almost every game treating those two as if there absolutely has to be some sort of priority over other newcomers, even if they'er not as popular.

This quota has finally drained the Super Mario series of characters, clearly we've hit the bottom of the barrel. If they wanted to have characters for echo purposes, they would have done Young Link or Pichu as echoes. But it had to be a Mario character, and it feels like we're done. There really are no other reasonable character picks that I can imagine with such a tight roster.

Pokemon has also had some kind of quota. I like the idea of having a constantly rotating Pokemon roster to represent some of the most popular Pokemon from the latest gen, but at the same time they're proliferating the roster size. If it's not obvious enough, Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are only back because of "Everyone is Here." That makes nine Pokemon now. And now we see the result of so much Pokemon. There simply isn't enough room for a tenth one (let alone Nintendo would never prioritize a series over Mario).

I feel like Brawl's roster was the best one because it ignored these quotas. Instead of adding a Mario character they removed one. Pokemon got trimmed to four slots but we still had the Pokemon trainer. Zelda rotated Young Link for Toon Link to represent more games. No series was lacking behind in characters, and we even got some third party representation.

I just wish Sakurai would realize that yes, there are popular choices for both Mario and Pokemon, but you don't have to proliferate their number of reps just because they sell well.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Except his entire philosophy has always been no cuts if it can be helped-- which makes infinitely more sense than rotating out characters because of the vocal minority.

Oddball

Smash Lord
This quota has finally drained the Super Mario series of characters, clearly we've hit the bottom of the barrel.
Nah. There's still a handful of big names left, Paper Mario, Pauline, and Toad for example. They could probabaly also include Wart and maybe even Tatanga without people thinking they were really reaching.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Wart and Tatanga? To me that's reaching. Hell even Pauline is reaching IMO (though I wouldn't mind if she was added just so I could get an amiibo of her). Paper Mario and Captain Toad would be the only two Mario characters truly worth adding to Smash. Sorry Geno fans, while I wouldn't mind Geno he seems like the perfect "assist trophy" character to me.

As for Pokemon well I'm not a huge Pokemon fan but I'd gladly take another Pokemon to the roster than yet another lame 3rd party character being added. I mean what other 3rd party characters/franchises with a strong relation to Nintendo are left to add? We have Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Bomberman, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter already represented. You don't get any bigger than those when it comes to Nintendo platforms. Not to mention Metal Gear and Bayonetta (which is more kinda 1st/2nd party now). The only other 3 I can possibly think of are Doom, Tetris, and Resident Evil and I doubt we see any of those in Smash anytime soon. Maybe a Tetris stage or something I could see happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom