• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still having trouble waveshining

kevlar

Smash Cadet
Yes, I read the stickies as suggested, but I can't go far enough to reach my opponent so I can shine again. Any tips would be appreciated.

Turazrok

Smash Master
practice WD while running and DDing and striaght out of SHFFL aerials. I did it, so can you.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
What actually helped me was streetfighter lol....when u shine rotate the stick sorta like a hadoken and wavedash at the end of the motion

kevlar

Smash Cadet
But, if Im not going far enough, should i run up to them to make up the rest of the space, or am i just using the wrong angle? Should I have to do this for link?(that is who i am practicing on.)

just practice waveshining farther, you shouldnt have to do anything but waveshine to combo link. tilt the control stick a more lateral angle for a longer wavedash. on characters like samus youll probably have to walk a bit after each waveshine to catch up to her, not run though, you cant shine out of your initial dash so you wouldnt be able to shine in time.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Dash before the initial shine to build momentum, even if it doesn't carry over. Also, just practice traditional wavedashing. If you're doing a perfect wavedash, you should be able to go from one end of a platform to another. Roughly.

If all else fails, practice waveshining with Falco. I've found that due to the fact that you have to input everything with Falco slightly slower, he's good for building Fox techskill.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
This is one of the hardest things for new Fox players to get down. Someone should make a tutorial video covering waveshining in its entirety and sticky it for use till the end of time. I might do it myself actually baha

There are only two things you can do if you're having trouble reaching your opponent to shine again:

1. Get out of your shine faster. Jump out sooner and start the WDing process earlier in general.

2. Make SURE you're control stick is as close to being horizontal as possible, without it being completely horizontal. You still need to angle the stick slightly, but the more horizontal it is the longer the WD.

nikkroy

Smash Rookie
I recently started playing Fox too... I pretty much have everything down expect for waveshining. My problem is that I can't actually wavedash out of the shine. I can wavedash easily, but for some reason, I just jump out of the shine every time I try to waveshine. I've watched a ton of videos and read all the stickies/threads, but I can't seem to get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I recently started playing Fox too... I pretty much have everything down expect for waveshining. My problem is that I can't actually wavedash out of the shine. I can wavedash easily, but for some reason, I just jump out of the shine every time I try to waveshine. I've watched a ton of videos and read all the stickies/threads, but I can't seem to get it. Any help would be appreciated.
I had this same problem too. I would shine, cancel shine, wavedash, and shine again, but that was as close as I could get.

Practice, practice, practice is really all I can say. I just sort of got it one day. Practice doing it with Falco, or just slow it down to individual steps. Don't look at it as "Shine, Wavedash" look at it as "Shine, Jump, Air Dodge."

Don't kill yourself trying to get crazy distance on it either when you're still working on just getting the basics. A waveshine straight down is still a waveshine.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Also, something I found out was that Fox can WD by pressing a jump button and L/R simultaneously. Yes, I know I'm slow in learning this. >_> I figured it out by myself when I was trying to get perfect WDs down. I guess I never made the effort before. P:

Anyways, if you're doing WDs in that manner, you shouldn't for waveshines. Waveshines require jump and then the dodge, if you catch my drift.

This is just advice in case you're falling to that trap.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
fox cannot wd by pressing jump simultaneously with L/R. maybe the way you do it is press jump and start pressing L/R, but the dodge has to be input I think it's 4 frames after the jump. if you input them together, Fox will just jump.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
It's for regular WDs. It pretty much works. 1/15th of a second isn't too much so it kinda feels like "simultaneous." Sorry for the confusion.

nikkroy

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone, I'm actually getting it a lot more often. Once I thought about it more as "Shine, Jump, Air Dodge," it got a lot easier. The practice helped too. I'm still working on getting the distance right every time, but I got the general idea. Thanks again for the help.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
The thing that helped me string waveshines together into other waveshines was practicing doing it in place. That way, you can constantly hold the analog stick straight down and only have to worry about the other button presses. Once I got the hang of that, I got into full waveshining pretty quickly.

kevlar

Smash Cadet
LOL. I just realized the problem. I was using a turbo controller. the angles were were weird, and it made it made it hard to do a perfect WD. I think I'll be fine now. thanks,I tried these and they helped a lot.

Zodiac

Smash Master
when Im having trouble with waveshining I use wak's method demonstrated in the ahtp videos to practice my wavedash, that usually clears things up for me.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I think the hardest thing for me is getting perfect waveshines, or somewhere near perfect. And doing it fast enough. I always seem to fall short of the distance, and/or get shielded.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
The thing that helped me string waveshines together into other waveshines was practicing doing it in place. That way, you can constantly hold the analog stick straight down and only have to worry about the other button presses. Once I got the hang of that, I got into full waveshining pretty quickly.
Every time I try waveshining in place I swear I get slower :(

MDU

Smash Cadet
Btw, can anybody help me learn how to waveshine on the keyboard? I've lent my melee to my friend and I'm letting him keep it as I've pretty much learned how to play on the computer. I can do most technical things including SHFFL, wavedash and SHDL on the keyboard but i am finding the most trouble with waveshine.

I can do it easily with falco but fox is harder. I can do it maybe once every 5 attempts but never when the shine actually connects or when the computer is pressuring me with attacks. I think the difficult is arising from having to move my middle finger from the down arrow key to the up arrow arrow key then sliding it back down again whilst at the same time pressing left/right with my index finger and then timing the airdodge right. Its becoming frustrating.

My control scheme is the arrow keys for moving as well as up for jump and i have the shift button on the left for the shield/wavedash button. Thanks for the help.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Didn't even know that you can play Melee on an emulator. D: Sorry, can't help.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I think the best thing to do is just get an adapter and hook your controller up to your PC P:

MDU

Smash Cadet
Yeah, melée can be played on emu but it's kinda bad. My comp can only play dreamland at a decent framerate which is another bad thing. I got the cd version bak from my friend and I've found that falco, jiggs and marth are way easier on controller. And fox and sheik are easier on keyboard. Obviously I've only played with the controller for one day - I'm sure it is universally better. But for now, shdl on keyboard is really easy and all of sheiks needle stuff and techchase is easy with the keyboard.

I played controller melée for the first time in a few years and I have already learned shfl, random chaingrabs, jc grabs, shine combos. Having trouble with wavedash as the timing on the controller is different. Also trouble with fox.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Imo, all the techskill stuff that's actually used a lot in a match is really easy except you just need to practice occasionally to make sure you can still do it. You'll get it down in no time. Also, the timing for wavedashing should be the same. >_> Find out how many frames it takes to jump, though. If it's like Fox, then you can almost input the jump and dodge actions simultaneously. Except you kinda do it not-simultaneously and jump goes first. lol

MDU

Smash Cadet
Well, it feels different mainly because of lag on emu and the control scheme. On emu, as soon as I jump, I try to wavedash immediatly and it works thanks to the time taken to slide my fingers down. On controller, because of the speed possible, I find I am air dodging too quickly and my shield goes up before the jump has started.

ccrackpot

Smash Rookie
Do u guys use the claw? Im thinkin about practising with it.. when I see on vids, how someone does like 3 shines in 3 sec to shield pressure, thats only possible using the claw isnt it?

SRGE

Smash Rookie
You can multishine just as easy with standard grip imo, if not easier. You gotta practice sliding from y to b like you would for shdl.

Top Bottom