• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

still confused about edgeteching

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i've been wondering how much it will affect my attempts to learn to edgetech if i don't hold L almost to the trigger before trying it.

I mean, how much time will be lost in the time the L trigger goes from totally unpressed to totally depressed..i'm wondering if i have to train myself to be partially holding down L during my recovery moves...because as i understand it to tech you need to press the button all the way in.

so anywyas, can i learn to edgetech without depressing in advance? or is it too much effort?

i'm still unsure as to whether edgeteching is based on reflexes.. (human reflexes are from like .15-.20 seconds if you're fast)...or if it's based on anticipating the hit mostly....if it's based on reflexes then you should probably depress..while if it's anticipation..it's mostly about learning the timing and it shouldn't matter

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
Which character do you play as? One of the space animals I'm guessing? Well, if so, you should have enough time to hold L; it's very predictable if a Peach or Marth are edgeguarding. For some, you also have to Smash DI towards the ledge (especially against Marth's tip). You should have enough time to react if you make it a habit to press L a little before you get hit. Good luck.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i play lots of char...but ya..I can hit L before getting hit? won't that mean i will airdodge and die?

i think you mean to hit L during the hit lag of the move..or maybe it's after the hit lag..i forget how it works exactly.

I think it's the ASDI that makes you move into the edge..so basically anytime in the hitlag and after the hitlag before you touch the stage should be fine i guess.

Unless of course the move has too many frames of hitlag..in which case you might have to hit L a little later in the hitlag...but i don't know if any move has that many frames of hitlag.

To tech you hit L 1-20 frames before touching the wall or floor? Somehow i don't think even samus's energy blast hits over a time of 1/3 of a sec..that seems high.

but anyways, basically you're saying i should try to get into the habit of depressing L while recovering...it feels really awkward..but i can start the habit if i have to..definitely would be nicer though if i had enough time to just slam it in when needed

Retroking2000

Smash Master
teching on the ledge is simple
the reason why smashers don't tech right is because they press L during the hit lag of the attack so Smash DI plays a dominant factor of ledge teching just press L during the hit lag frames and slam the stick
you should input like a smash so press L and slam the stick so the SDI makes you bounce to the frame of the Tech window

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
If you hit L/R at any time, and then are in a position to tech (i.e. you're tumbling and near a surface) any time during the next 1/3 second, you will tech. Therefore, pressing L/R during your recovery move when you know you're going to get hit by something will guarantee a ledgetech, assuming you don't hit it too early. Also, pressing it during the hitstun of the move will mean you won't be able to tech at all, so try not to do that.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
so , the ledgetech is not done in the hitstun time ?

the buttom comand is an "smash L" ?

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
You would not air dodge if you have begun your Up B recovery already.

Basically, the commands are:

1) Up+B
2) L (all the way, <20 frames before being hit
3) Smash DI towards the stage
4) From there, you can either jump during the tech and recovery (Falco/Fox, for example, can side B), or perform your Up+B move again.

Doval

Smash Lord
Depends. Moves that send you inwards already don't even require any DI'ing at all (Peach's Down Smash, for example.) For moves that send you straight down, auto DI is generally enough , while moves that send you cleanly outwards from the edge will require a Smash DI to bump you into the stage's wall (Marth's F-Smash.)

Starzonedge summed it up best in my opinion. You actually have a pretty wide margin for pressing L or R before the attack, so your main concern is doing the Smash DI on those annoying moves.

Banks

Smash Hero
just hit l or r a few seconds before getting hit, and keep it held down. u dont need to press it any earlier than necessary.

Doval

Smash Lord
You don't have to keep it held down at all. Simply making L or R click is enough. If you missed the time frame for pressing L or R, holding it down won't make a difference. Also, I got what you mean, but "a few seconds" is a bit misleading. You need to push L or R 1/3 of a second or less before you plan on hitting the surface.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I've edge-teched Marth's Smash on a number of occasions, and I've never used Smash DI. Then again I'm almost never successful. Are there certain %s that you can rely on ASDI, and certain %s that only SDI will work?

Doval

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that for Marth's F-Smash, ASDI alone is never enough. Can't think of any attacks that work with ASDI at some percentages but require Smash DI at higher percentages, either. As a rule of thumb, if it sends you straight out, you need to Smash DI it.

Top Bottom