• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Step Dash

TriTails

Smash Lord
This guy did.
GOAT MOM IS HERE.

----

On actually on-topic note: Luigi apparently ties with MK in distance according to Larry's thread? Lmao wat.

This may open up opportunities to open up some neat tricks with Luigi such as sliding U-tilt to aerial or straight up sliding into people with U-smash, or even D-smash (I recall all of those carry along Luigi's momentum with them. U-smash and D-smash definitely slides. Not sure about F-smash but if you can slide with it... lol). This may also improve Luigi's mobility in similiar way as Melee's wavedash, or maybe not. My 3DS stick is already butchered up enough that I gave up trying to do PPs a long time ago.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Firstly, don't trust any tier list of Step Dash distances; one can conclude that the chart that was made by whomever made it is, to say the least, highly inaccurate since it clashes with the results that someone's gotten for me. Again, I advise everyone to test this on Omega Suzaku Castle to see just how far each character goes, just to get the most accurate distance. If Step Dashes are exactly the same distance every time you pull it off for a character, then it's confirmed. If not, it'll be corrected.

So yes, TriTails, Luigi (in my thread) does tie with Meta Knight for 6 planks on Omega Suzaku; you could try doing this yourself to see if it is correct data or incorrect data.

Kenturo

Smash Cadet
OK so after I tested it in this in the lab in pretty sure I have it all figured out.

Whenever you walk there is a certain couple of frame where a character begin to accelerate in speed. By canceling that frame with a crouch you can retain that momentum that you have sliding forward. One of the easiest ways to see this is with Roy. When you do a turn around walk with roy you see that in the middle of his walk begins to quickly accelerate then slows down to his normal walk speed. Now if you cancel those acceleration frames with a crouch you notice that he slides very far, probably the farthest slide in the game.

So here is where the step dash comes in. Once you crouch you can immediately begin walking again so you can basically go walk>crouch>walk>crouch and as long as you cancel the walk within those acceleration frames your character will continue to slide across the stage with no problem.

Every characters walk acceleration begins at different frames and i believe that every character has different slide lengths. Some characters like metaknight and bayonetta which as shown in the video has their acceleration frames very early in their walk which is why they are able to go a significant distance very quickly but in terms of slide length im not ready to say that they go the farthest just yet. The best way that I found of finding the slide distance is to walk then shield at different points during the walk animation. If you do it at the right time your character will slide as soon as u pull up shield.

So yeah those are my observations after about an hour of testing this morning.

GusTurbo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GusTurbo
So the first thing I thought of was trying to make this easier with Bidou, and so far this is looking pretty promising in the lab. With Bidou, you don't need to return the stick to neutral because C-stick up cancels the walk for 1 frame. Just be careful not to hold L-stick too far forward or else you'll dash.

Here's the input for crouching step dash:
Walk -> C-stick up (hold L-stick still) -> L-stick slightly down-forward -> L-stick down-forward

Here's the input for step dash grab:
Walk -> C-stick up (hold L-stick still) -> Grab

I've done this many times on 1/2 speed with MK so far, and a couple times on 1x speed. You still have to get the timing right, but not having to reset to neutral seems pretty useful. I also can't say for 100% sure whether this method lets you step dash the full length, but the step dash definitely does activate and is noticeable.

I'll keep labbing this. There may be funky things you can do with Bidou pivots or fastfalling with C-stick into landing which could work with step dash.
I use bidou and can confirm this is much easier with it. The fact that you don't have to allow the L stick to return to neutral is crucial. I wasn't super consistent with it, but I got it a number of times at full speed. With practice it will become easier. It will be interesting to see if it has any real uses.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I suggest you put in the time with Fox. It's pretty sick with him.
I've been practicing it. I can't get it consistently using the first method, but it's easier to do it consistently starting from shield, from another step-dash, or just doing the two walk inputs and throwing out an attack as shown at 1:08 in the video.

And you're right, Fox really benefits from this. U-smash and D-smash in particular to catch landings or any re-grabs from the ledge while safely spacing a recovery move with a hitbox.

Last edited:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Question: Is the length of your Step-Dash affected by how fast your character initially walks?

Shollyboster

Dead Memes and Broken Dreams
NNID
112345brian
I don't know how accurate this is, but someone posted this on the Corrin Discord:

Seems some top tiers and high tiers benefit from this the most, although I could see it being very useful for Yoshi and maybe Bowser Jr., and maybe Pit as well. Zelda and Roy having a "slightly larger slide" is interesting, will this help them rise to low-mid tier? Probably not, but it'll be interesting to see if more people will pick up Zelda and/or Roy.
Lucas can do it but not Ness? WHAT VARIABLE ALLOWS STEPDASHING THAT CLONES CAN'T EVEN DO IT

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Anyone have any advice on how to do this consistently? I haven't even been able to do it successfully once after such a long time of trying.

Bob

Banned via Warnings
This is going to be huge for Smash 4! I can't wait to see how this affects the metagame

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have any advice on how to do this consistently? I haven't even been able to do it successfully once after such a long time of trying.
same here didn t even see it once....
I've been practising with Metaknight and from what i can see, the slide length/quality is determined by
The completeness of the First step
And how quickly you cancel it with a second step and a crouch.

By this is mean, the first step needs to be a full step. A whole cycle through the metaknights stepping animation. Not a footnudge. Not a toe stretch. Not a one foot slide. A full step. Both feet cycle through one 'step animation'. Tricky to describe, but yeah.

Once you are familiar with the exact length of time needed to do one 'step', you need to be able to cancel it swiftly with another step. As in 1 step>neutral position>1 step.

If you can do that, Then just cancel the second step into the crouch motion like MSC described and you should slide. The second step where you cancel to slide, doesn't even need to be as strict as the first step. Just do 1 step> step crouch cancel.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Ahhh, so much useful info.

I can do step dash at 1/2 with bayo decently

With bidou sometimes it's easier and sometimes it's harder.

My fingers hurt. :(

Is there a bidou/movement tech megathread?

I kinda want to have something like Melee did where it lists all the techs in one post, and tips for doing them. :(

But yeah PP+CPP+SD is going to make bayo's movement so stupid.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
It seems as though there is a specific speed of at least one of the steps that must be met. May as well just play Melee if you want to play like this. Much easier.

Top Bottom