• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stealing

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I want to talk with you about STEALING.
@BiB3 2 Smartphones and 4-5 controllers got stolen.
And the biggest problem ist, I dont really know what to do as a host.
I could obviously call the police, and probably check all bags with them, but it sure would delay the tournament by A LOT, which isnt good... then it also is very big stress for me and the other hosts. AND it would probably cost us money too...
Another option would be to check all bags on our own, but that would probably delay the tournament even more + the stress...
Cameras would be an option if possible, but I dont think camera-control is easy to do, and would also cost quite a lot >,<"
So, do you have any ideas on what to do against Stealing?

Its a shame that we, as a community and especially we, the hosts, have to deal with such stuff.
I always thought we were a community with correct people, but after the last few tournaments I start to doubt that more and more, because of the stealing going on... (My MP3 Player got stolen @ BiN...)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
It's obviously one or two people doing the same kind of stuff over and over again.
Call the police, solve the problem there, or scare them enough to never come back.

Call the police.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
There's always been some stealing present at our nationals (in fact I just lost my controller at nst6 and other stuff like my brawl or my melee have been stolen in the past) but like 90% of the stuff reported missing is found earlier or after so you can't be sure it was stealing until the tourney's over. (and other times noone realizes their stuff is stolen until they are home or packing to leave when more than half the people has left.)

There was a time though where something more serious happened. Nemo's wallet disappeared and he had everything there (all his money and the plane ticket he needed to go back to his city included). Before going to the police we took everyone outside the venue and opened every bag in there. We didn't find anything but while Nemo and some smashers were driving to the police someone found the wallet in the street, without any money. We decided that all the bag check had already delayed the tourney enough and since we had the important stuff like the plane ticket all we did was a small collect were we payed Nemo all the cash he had in his wallet.

It really does suck that people get their stuff stolen so often. Very few people bring setups to the events and even if we try to compensate them with fees reduction they end up getting something stolen by someone who probably didn't even bother bringing anything. Cameras would be an option but as you said they are way to expensive. I myself try to tag every kind of material that people borrow to us with stickers. I say call the police if something other than a controller is stolen. Since even if 1 or 2 controllers are lost every tourney there are like 20 reports of lost controllers every damn time. People just let them anywhere -.-

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Best way to prevent is to always pay attention to your own controller/wii mote and don't put SD cards in your wii. Other then that really nothing else could be done, theres just too many people in a small venue

Luigi player

Smash Master
keep your (important) stuff with you at the time

I dont know why people just put their stuff anywhere...

Top Bottom