• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stealing Wifi, Illegal???

CapnKorin

Smash Rookie
I'm not exactly... Er... INTENTIONALLY using WiFi from my neighbor, but I was wondering if it were illegal that I am doing so?

I'd very much like to NOT go to prison for using someone's wireless for my Wii's pleasure.

It's not like I have access to their computer or whatnot.

Thoughts, comments?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Get your own connection :mad:

....Though a part of me feels if they are too stupid to set up security they deserve to be leached lol

To answer your question, a brief google pulled up that it is illegal in California. I don't know about other states.

ththxtreme2

Smash Rookie
its easy to prove..you were able to connect to it. When setting up a wireless router it first asks you to make up a password for the router(since for most it is admin) and then after you set that up you have to make a password depending on the type of wireless security you want to use i.e. WEP WPA WPA 2. So in reality it is their own fault they haven't set it up the security and you might not be the only one stealing from their internet.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
its easy to prove..you were able to connect to it. When setting up a wireless router it first asks you to make up a password for the router(since for most it is admin) and then after you set that up you have to make a password depending on the type of wireless security you want to use i.e. WEP WPA WPA 2. So in reality it is their own fault they haven't set it up the security and you might not be the only one stealing from their internet.
Congratulations, that might be the worst argument I've ever heard.

You should really read this link.

It is most definitely illegal in the UK and in Canada, and multiple states have made it illegal or are in the process of doing so.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2005-07-07-wifitheft_x.htm?csp=34

CapnKorin

Smash Rookie
From that article, it seems as though if I'm using someone's Wi-Fi for illegal activities, I'm susceptible to prosecution.

Playing Brawl is not illegal, so in theory I'm a happy little internet borrower. :D

ththxtreme2

Smash Rookie
Doesn't the iphone and ipod touch steal wifi from any network it can. I don't get why they would then make it illegal in some states.

CapnKorin

Smash Rookie
Doesn't the iphone and ipod touch steal wifi from any network it can. I don't get why they would then make it illegal in some states.

The articles specifically target computer users, I.E. laptops, PCs, etc.

I honestly don't believe stuff like Wiis, Ipods, or things that have little to no effect on wireless networks, aside from borrowing a bit of bandwidth, and their users are eligible for prosecution.

My Wii can't do anything but surf the net, play games on, or make Miis.

Where's the harm in that?

bennyboytx

Smash Rookie
What i believe is networks are running through the air like crazy and picking up each other and whatever else decides to connect to it. The act of not "securing" a router's network leaves an open connection for any device that can pick up a signal to connect to. So technically i think if you don't put some sort of security on your connection your basically open to the public, and if that's illegal i think it should be up to the owner of the network to decide if he wants to press charges. I do the same but live in the country with dumb 40 year old rich people lol that don't know what there doing when it comes to computers, and i check periodically who's connected to my DHCP table. Now if you go abouts hacking into a WEP connection or any other encryption then that's where i start to consider it a invasion of privacy and theft via computer. Although anyone who knew how to do it could with most households there should be some sort of detection these days to stop these hackers. And no matter whether its a itouch or laptop that all are connect the same way and should be treated and dealt with equally.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have no idea about my router's security settings and I can't find it anywhere on my computer so I just say to hell with it. I'd be pretty pissed if someone leeched off of me but it's not like I'm doing anything to stop them. Besides, most people here are too poor to even afford a laptop and pay bills at the same time.

smashblu

Smash Cadet
Well is it illegal to plug your TV and appliances into your neighbor's outlets or hose down your driveway with their hose? I think it probably is and using their bandwidth is the same thing.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Is it illegal? Laws vary depending where you live. When you start using somebody's WAP to access their computers, you're heading into illegal territory. Yes, if you don't cover your tracks they can just go and look at their logs and connected computers in their router settings and see an unidentified computer accessing their network.

This guy doesn't take any ****: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

syndicate

Smash Apprentice
I can answer this easily for you, HELL you answered it in your thread name.

Stealing Wifi Illegal?

Stealing = Illegal

Therefore, stealing being taking something that doesn't belong to you without the owner's permission thus making whatever you steal, Illegal.

Does anyone get what I'm saying lol.

SageMiomo

Smash Rookie
Errr NO. They have the choice of making it WEP Encrypted, if it isnt then they literly made it a "Public Hot Spot". Not Illegal if you are using it, However, if it is WEP encrypted, and you somhow found out the code you COULD be doing somthing wrong.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Stupid. Of course its not illegal.

They can choose to set a password for their connection but they didn't because they want to SHARE.

Sharing is NOT illegal now is it?

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I am a criminal, I used to walk around with my DS and look for connections everywhere and i played on every afternoon on a building's Gym using someone else's connection.

LOL. Now seriously, its not illegal to borrow some connection.
If a state has laws against it, it is only illegal if you get caught and the person who catches you gives a crap about it.
Face it, there are many stupid laws that get broken every day, especially those that are overwritten by other laws, like the one about privacy for example, if you borrow your neighbor's connection they can't sneak into your house to check if its you so they can't do crap about it.

Edit- Now i just remembered, once when i was playing in the gym at mid-night a cop came to speak with me and said:
"Excuse me, can you please get out? I have to close the gym, its late."

:laugh: I wasn't un-nerved the least bit i knew he was going to say something like that...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
you guys are absolutely childish.

"its only illegal if you get caught." then its illegal, dumb ****.

and yes, it is illegal to "share." its against a lot of ISP's ToS agreements.

Just because you want it to be legal doesn't mean its legal.

CapnKorin

Smash Rookie
you guys are absolutely childish.

and yes, it is illegal to "share." its against a lot of ISP's ToS agreements.

Just because you want it to be legal doesn't mean its legal.
Lawl I found out that if he/she tries to press charges they will also be arrested for "negligent usage".

paderdash

Smash Rookie
its really down to if you get caught which there is very little chances of happinging....in the first place your neighbor has to realize that someone else is using his/her connection then they have to call policia and its just more of a hassle than its worth...if they really do care then they'll just set a password if not then they wont...but with your own connection you'll get better connection speed/quality rather than someone whose router is a bit away from your wii :)

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Its called joking. Not every state or country has laws against it, here there aren't any for that specifically, there might be some other law against it but nobody is going to bother to press charges unless they have no life.

lolz i agree with the post below and above mine.:chuckle:

sagemoon

Smash Lord
It is most definately NOT illegal. By not securing their network, they broadcast their internet to the public. Much like starbucks or something so you are just as innocent as using starbucks' internet. But still.. bottom line is that if they are dumb enough to not have their internet protected, then they arent smart enough to find out who's using it, if they even know that someone is

Nymphetamine

Smash Apprentice
i have 2 computers in my room, my tower with comcast cable, and my laptop with wirless from the ppl next door, lawl well they dont have a password so yea

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Ya..that is not illegal. It's not "right" but, their fault for actually allowing you to haha. Good stuff

LORDDJINNX

Smash Rookie
It may differ from state to state, and I am no expert in all state laws, but open WiFi is NOT illegal to connect to.

I am a computer repair technician and Programmer and I own my own business. At least here in WA, if a home-owner or anyone has an unsecured network, it is completely legal to connect and use the airwaves.

It is the responsibility of the owner to secure their network. As mentioned above, there are instructions on how to do so and the disclaimer state that the router manufacture is not responsible for securing the wireless.

Whatnow88

Smash Rookie
Central California BFC 0516-6973-7296 Up for anyth
It's their fault if they don't block access.
They actuality did a special about this on the local news here in California and apparently no it's not illegal. It is the responsibility of the owner of the connection to secure it (make a password to use the connection.) No laws are in place to stop it and most coffee shops, bookstores, and gamestops advertise that they are wifi spots.

Dial-Up

Smash Journeyman
If they aren't smart enough to put a password, then they aren't smart enough to realize you're using their bandwidth, and they DEFINITELY aren't smart enough to know you're the one using it. Lol.

It is most definately NOT illegal. By not securing their network, they broadcast their internet to the public. Much like starbucks or something so you are just as innocent as using starbucks' internet. But still.. bottom line is that if they are dumb enough to not have their internet protected, then they arent smart enough to find out who's using it, if they even know that someone is
Haha. I didn't notice you said the same exact thing as me. =P. We're both, completely, 100% right.

Top Bottom