• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Status of "official" textures

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think I've brought this up before but I had been looking to create a set of official textures we could use as part of Brawl+ perhaps or to have be tourney legal. I'm against people having tons of random textures and CSPs that dont match them in tourney, as half of the time you will end up having the normal color you prefer not be available, or not know who you are really selecting until the match starts. There is also the problem of proper team colors and the characters we split such as pokemon trainer, etc.

I've gathered a set of these official textures for now (might change in the future) which contain all the proper team color changes, and some other cool textures that everyone generally agrees with that will overwrite colors that aren't used in teams. textures like Mr. L would be classified under this. I also have some proper textures of characters with costumes they might have had in other games (especially on the Wii), which it only makes sense for them to have in Brawl, so I've added things like Galaxy Star Mario (the black and red costume from Mario Galaxy when you get the flying power), Darkspine Sonic (from Sonic and the Secret Rings), and more.

Additionally, so this is all done and implemented correctly, I'm working with other people on making nice CSPs for everything so the character select screen looks nice, and even going as far to making battle portraits (the icons near your stocks when battling), though these are only compatible with iso hacking iirc.

Currently I have all the textures, and I'm working on the CSPs today with someone else. There is a chance all of the CSPs could be done today, but there's a better chance of it being done by the end of the week instead. Battle portraits won't take much extra time.

shanus

Smash Hero
We made a semi-official pack which addresses team color issues for lucario, sonic, pokemon trainer, and a few more. Its pretty standard for everyone else. If we could get CSPs for it, thatd be awesome.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I say tough luck if your standard color is taken on someones Wii, unless it's a primary team color. Tell people it's fine to texture hack 'Pretty in Pink Falcon' to 'Captain Obama' but don't touch the blue, red, and green ones.

I don't think we have the right to tell people that these are the official texture hacks for certain characters, except in the cases of Sonic, Lucario, and PKMN Trainer and that is only because of team games. Texture hacking is just like music hacking, it's a form of self expression to customize the little parts of the game you want. If you're pissed because Old Manondorf is Madworld Ganon on my Wii then suck it up. Should have brought your own Wii and SD card then.

We should call it the 'Back Room Suggested Texture Pack'. I'd probably punch someone if they made a johns because their usual color is a texture hack.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yea we could say suggested, but I've found a lot of times that on a lot of people's wiis that even the team colors are being messed with. The team colors are the ones I got from Cape at BtL

Revven

FrankerZ
Or, you know, we could make a rule mandated where when Doubles starts to take your SD Cards out of your Wii if you have textures on the main three team colors.

I'm even surprised the SBR hasn't seen textures yet as an issue for teams.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Btw, why do you have DarkSpine Sonic? I know you like the texture and all, but it's nowhere NEAR agreed upon enough to be official. Especially since it's primary competition, Shadow, is much more popular.

The only Sonic textures I can see as being truely agreed upon are Red and Green Sonics (for teams), and Super Sonic as yellow. Black would either end up being Shadow or Darkspine Sonic sure, but I'm pretty sure Shadow would be the more logical choice for that anyway (not that I really like Shadow, I'm just pointing out the obvious).

Anyway, as much as I think textures should be left to the individual (with the exception of teams textures), you have to keep in mind that some textures can make the characters hard to see on different stages. I had this really awesome looking black Falcon...that made him impossible to see on Lylat Cruise :laugh: . I think that if a texture causes the players to have trouble seeing the character, then the texture should not be allowed. And of course if someone's colorblind and the texture causes issues, then the textures must be disabled (just as colorblind players can request that a certain team color not be played).

my 2 cents

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Or, you know, we could make a rule mandated where when Doubles starts to take your SD Cards out of your Wii if you have textures on the main three team colors.

I'm even surprised the SBR hasn't seen textures yet as an issue for teams.
But if the SD card is to be taken out then you can't use the team colors

and taking out the SD during gameplay won't disable the CSPs, so you can't tell for sure what colors you are selecting (you wouldn't think this is a problem, but it's happened to me multiple times, including in tourney)

The reasons why I chose Darkspine over Shadow was because
-Darkspine is a alternate form for Sonic, fitting as a costume. Shadow isn't actually Sonic (then again this sort of contradicts the whole Daisy/Roselina with Peach thing)
-Since Brawl is on the Wii I thought it would be neat to add Darkspine seeing as he played a part in Secret Rings, a Wii exclusive Sonic title

When I release my set I'm going to have two downloads, one with just team colors, and one with my few extras, like DarkSpine and Super Sonics, Roselina, NES ROB, Mr L

All of the CSPs and CBPs are done except for like 5 or so, so I'll probably have it done tonight.

Top Bottom