• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting to get competitive

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
*spins around in chair* So I started playing Melee and Brawl to see how good I can get at competitive playing im Smash....honestly............I'm actually shocked about how good I am o.o been practicing with Marth on Brawl and I'm just gettin combos everywhere. But anyway the main reason for this was since Smash Bros. 3DS is gonna be here by next year and again JUST started playing competitively (still don't have a main) and just wanted since Smash Bros. 3DS is gonna be my first game that I actually gonna be pretty much competitive mostly just wanted to start practicing and also I wanted to ask 3 things. 1. Is there a age limit in order to enter Smash tourneys and stuff? (Btw I'm 13) 2. Anyone wanna give me a little bit of info for competitive playing (like youtube videos etc...) 3. Lemme guess someones gonna tell me I should've posted this on another part of Smashboards I never knew about.......-_-'? that's really all..... OH WAITHFFHNJGJ If you wanna test my skills or see how good am I in Brawl just message me your FC so we can duke out. Welp finally got this done v.v (typed ALL of this on my 3DSXL actually)

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Age limit...? Not that I know of. General info for practicing? Hm. Well practicing and watching/dissecting videos are good. But since Sm4sh hasn't been released yet we don't know what characters are good or how they play or anything like that. If you want to generally learn about Marth, Overswarm's Marth tutorial ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AexiFPr6x84 ) will help. It's intended for Melee Marth but since his moves are the same in all games some Melee Marth stuff will probably carry over to Sm4sh. If you wanna watch great Marth players play, look up PewPewU, Dr. Peepee, Mew2King, GIMR, and Ken, to name a few.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
This isn't really the place. But first of all, welcome. Secondly, not to give any discouragement, you're not good. You getting combos in brawl doesn't make you good, especially since you can't really combo in brawl with the mindset you're approaching it. My recommendation and what I used when I first got into smash bros is just watching high level players play. There are multiple avenues to do so, my suggestion being watching places like clashtournaments or videogamebootcamp on youtube since they feature the highest level of play in all the versions of smash.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw
http://www.youtube.com/user/CLASHTournaments

Watch some videos and see how the game is played at a high level, that's the quickest way to grasp how to get better competitively. Since we don't know the mechanics of smash 4 or how the metagame will shift, it's important to learn fundamentals like movement and spacing. If you don't have anyone to play with, try playing against some cpus and try to hit them without getting hit, it's a great exercise in spacing and controlling all your movement options. If you want to play brawl or melee at the next level, there are a ton of guides on their respective forums. Take a few minutes to read them, they're all at the top of the pages for the most part. Then once you find a character you like, check out their character specific board and learn what to do with them, what good players are doing. Then practice that and learn how to apply it to your own game. Since you're younger, try watching videos if your parents aren't okay with driving you places to play with other people like gaming or card shops, I know thats how I learned when I was younger.

1. There is no age limit, however I would personally recommend bringing a parent along since you're 13 and haven't experienced this before, better safe than sorry. You can find communities around you with the tournament forums or on facebook.
2. See above
3. Well introductions would have probably been a better place for this, try to avoid making posts like this in the future and take the innovative to doing your research before posting, there are tons of guides in their respective forums for getting more serious about the game.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
This isn't really the place. But first of all, welcome. First of all, not to give any discouragement, you're not good. You getting combos in brawl doesn't make you good, especially since you can't really combo in brawl with the mindset you're approaching it. My recommendation and what I used when I first got into smash bros is just watching high level players play. There are multiple avenues to do so, my suggestion being watching places like clashtournaments or videogamebootcamp on youtube since they feature the highest level of play in all the versions of smash.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw
http://www.youtube.com/user/CLASHTournaments

Watch some videos and see how the game is played at a high level, that's the quickest way to grasp how to get better competitively. Since we don't know the mechanics of smash 4 or how the metagame will shift, it's important to learn fundamentals like movement and spacing. If you don't have anyone to play with, try playing against some cpus and try to hit them without getting hit, it's a great exercise in spacing and controlling all your movement options. If you want to play brawl or melee at the next level, there are a ton of guides on their respective forums. Take a few minutes to read them, they're all at the top of the pages for the most part. Then once you find a character you like, check out their character specific board and learn what to do with them, what good players are doing. Then practice that and learn how to apply it to your own game. Since you're younger, try watching videos if your parents aren't okay with driving you places to play with other people like gaming or card shops, I know thats how I learned when I was younger.

1. There is no age limit, however I would personally recommend bringing a parent along since you're 13 and haven't experienced this before, better safe than sorry. You can find communities around you with the tournament forums or on facebook.
2. See above
3. Well introductions would have probably been a better place for this, try to avoid making posts like this in the future and take the innovative to doing your research before posting, there are tons of guides in their respective forums for getting more serious about the game.
for a second there I thought you were hurting my feelings. Ow harsh. Anyways I've seen CLASHTournaments, A few of their Melee Like M2K v.s. (I forgot I think it was Slayer) my goodness idk whats happening but my gosh there moving around like Sonic. But thx for the other stuff also about the tourneys and thing does it cost money? I forgot to say that one not that I mind but just saying so I know ahead of time (not like they hold tourneys around Manassas anyway :/) I'll watch videos with high leveled players (when I get some free time) but for now I'll be looking around for forums and thing also may take some notes while I'm at it. Btw I would try to do some practice on Melee but my Gamecubes memory card broke......so yea..................(took me forever to unlock most of those characters/stages =_=) But I'll see if I can get a new one anytime soon but for now. Adios~

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
for a second there I thought you were hurting my feelings. Ow harsh. Anyways I've seen CLASHTournaments, A few of their Melee Like M2K v.s. (I forgot I think it was Slayer) my goodness idk whats happening but my gosh there moving around like Sonic. But thx for the other stuff also about the tourneys and thing does it cost money? I forgot to say that one not that I mind but just saying so I know ahead of time (not like they hold tourneys around Manassas anyway :/) I'll watch videos with high leveled players (when I get some free time) but for now I'll be looking around for forums and thing also may take some notes while I'm at it. Btw I would try to do some practice on Melee but my Gamecubes memory card broke......so yea..................(took me forever to unlock most of those characters/stages =_=) But I'll see if I can get a new one anytime soon but for now. Adios~
Ignore those who attack you, we all started somewhere. Watching pros is the quickest way to get a feel on how to get better. Why try and re-invent the wheel when there are people who already know what they're doing. When you watch, ask questions to yourself. How do they move like that? Why did they do that? How did they do that? Once you're done, dive into the forums, find out how they do these things and think about why they are doing them.

Yes tournaments cost money, it varies. Locals will cost ~$5 depending on where you go, whereas nationals (which you should not aim for right now) have an entrance fee and a playing fee of ~$20. The important thing to know is you don't have to enter the tournaments to play. Ask people to play, people are friendly and they'll teach you if you're new. You don't have to spend money if you don't want to, the important thing is finding the community. There is a community everywhere, you just have to look.

You don't have to play melee, brawl is just as fun. People have their preferences, but you can play whatever is readily available. If you want to play melee but can't, I'd suggest project m, a mod for brawl that plays like melee with new characters. There is a forum dedicated to that. The important thing is having fun and getting better, Smash 4 won't be melee and won't be brawl, so the most important thing is to learn the fundamentals.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Ignore those who attack you, we all started somewhere. Watching pros is the quickest way to get a feel on how to get better. Why try and re-invent the wheel when there are people who already know what they're doing. When you watch, ask questions to yourself. How do they move like that? Why did they do that? How did they do that? Once you're done, dive into the forums, find out how they do these things and think about why they are doing them.

Yes tournaments cost money, it varies. Locals will cost ~$5 depending on where you go, whereas nationals (which you should not aim for right now) have an entrance fee and a playing fee of ~$20. The important thing to know is you don't have to enter the tournaments to play. Ask people to play, people are friendly and they'll teach you if you're new. You don't have to spend money if you don't want to, the important thing is finding the community. There is a community everywhere, you just have to look.

You don't have to play melee, brawl is just as fun. People have their preferences, but you can play whatever is readily available. If you want to play melee but can't, I'd suggest project m, a mod for brawl that plays like melee with new characters. There is a forum dedicated to that. The important thing is having fun and getting better, Smash 4 won't be melee and won't be brawl, so the most important thing is to learn the fundamentals.
Well I'll start watching some pros after school tomorrow and after I get my homework done. All I really need is some quiet while I'm at it (my brother is loud :|) I have learned a few things like approaching your opponent and just to make sure not to tend to approach him/her the same way or you'll just get punished for that. But I'll start tomorrow cause I really wanna get into that, If I have the time tonight or before I go to school I'll try a few characters and see who I'm just bad with and who I'm good with ( question myself like you said which I do sometimes) But yea when SSB4 is here I'll check out characters, see whats different with them. (especially the newcomers)

Dash000

Smash Rookie
Well I'll start watching some pros after school tomorrow and after I get my homework done. All I really need is some quiet while I'm at it (my brother is loud :|) I have learned a few things like approaching your opponent and just to make sure not to tend to approach him/her the same way or you'll just get punished for that. But I'll start tomorrow cause I really wanna get into that, If I have the time tonight or before I go to school I'll try a few characters and see who I'm just bad with and who I'm good with ( question myself like you said which I do sometimes) But yea when SSB4 is here I'll check out characters, see whats different with them. (especially the newcomers)

Im in a similair boat as you, when sm4sh comes out we should do some 1vs1 online to practice :p

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
*spins around in chair* So I started playing Melee and Brawl to see how good I can get at competitive playing im Smash....honestly............I'm actually shocked about how good I am o.o been practicing with Marth on Brawl and I'm just gettin combos everywhere. But anyway the main reason for this was since Smash Bros. 3DS is gonna be here by next year and again JUST started playing competitively (still don't have a main) and just wanted since Smash Bros. 3DS is gonna be my first game that I actually gonna be pretty much competitive mostly just wanted to start practicing and also I wanted to ask 3 things. 1. Is there a age limit in order to enter Smash tourneys and stuff? (Btw I'm 13) 2. Anyone wanna give me a little bit of info for competitive playing (like youtube videos etc...) 3. Lemme guess someones gonna tell me I should've posted this on another part of Smashboards I never knew about.......-_-'? that's really all..... OH WAITHFFHNJGJ If you wanna test my skills or see how good am I in Brawl just message me your FC so we can duke out. Welp finally got this done v.v (typed ALL of this on my 3DSXL actually)
I know u r good I bet u r beast. Don't listen to scuba. Im three years younger than u

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Just a general forum note, there should be an edit button somewhere on your post.
You should use it instead of posting 3 times.

Also, there is no age limit, and the best practice is against people better than you in person.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
What's wrong with girls?

Damn kids these days are sexist as balls. (the ones they suck, hehe)

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I wish I could lock threads 2, but i'm not a mod. they're 2 slow :sonic:

AND omg Shion is a troll, how am I the only one who sees this?

Anyway buddy, I'll be happy 2 train ya since I believe you added me. And yeah just get in your practice whenever you can, online/offline etc. Just keep at it and you'll do well, and yeah offline is way better, but since your 13 I believe online is the best way 2 go if your parents won't let ya go.

Oh and learn some melee, brawl is good and all but if you wanna be quicker learn some of that.

Hope this helped.

Morbi

Scavenger

Anyway buddy, I'll be happy 2 train with ya since I believe you added me. And yeah just get in your practice whenever you can, online/offline etc. Just keep at it and you'll do well, and yeah offline is way better, but since your 13 I believe online is the best way 2 go if your parents won't let ya go.

Oh and learn some melee, brawl is good and all but if you wanna be quicker learn some of that.

Hope this helped.
Shion is not a troll, he is a hero to all of humanity. In all seriousness, he is awesome.

I honestly don't play competetive Melee at all as it... isn't relevant. I know it is a horrible reason, I just have that Call of Duty mentality. It is my most played game, but I wasn't really good at fighting games prior to Brawl. No online either... so it is difficult to find people that are good to play with.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Shion is not a troll, he is a hero to all of humanity. In all seriousness, he is awesome.

I honestly don't play competitive Melee at all as it... isn't relevant. I know it is a horrible reason, I just have that Call of Duty mentality. It is my most played game, but I wasn't really good at fighting games prior to Brawl. No online either... so it is difficult to find people that are good to play with.
Why does it say "master troll" on the status then? But I know you like goofy people though, so I understand.

I play all smash's competitively, and let me say melee is still relevant, especially around my area. Just practice advanced techniques for now, there's plenty of helpful videos out there and stuff. It kinda sucks that you can't find anyone to play, for me its easier since well, i'm in a big city, but i'm sure there's some smash goin on if you look hard enough.

This is why I hope smash 4 has good online it'll solve alot of problems some people have, if it comes out and your still around i'd be happy to teach you as well.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei

Anyway buddy, I'll be happy 2 train ya since I believe you added me. And yeah just get in your practice whenever you can, online/offline etc. Just keep at it and you'll do well, and yeah offline is way better, but since your 13 I believe online is the best way 2 go if your parents won't let ya go.

Hope this helped.
Shion is God, is what Shion is, says I.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Lock the thread before it gets crazy in here! Come on mods I know you hate me, you lock all my threads xD

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Mart is a great main, believe me. He's strong and has great throws and combos. Also, if u like marth, try ike

Top Bottom