• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting a stream and would like some help :)

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
-do you use an emulator or regular console?
-do you know about obs (open broadcast studio)?
-do you have plans to make your own overlay (helps set your stream apart from others and attract viewers)?
-using an alert system (can just be for followers but I don't know if you plan on including subs or donations) like stream pro?
-how often do you plan on streaming?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here or here to socialize and have fun.

Check out the new Smash Connect forums for user based services including artwork and customization services.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

CakeMcBeast

Smash Rookie
-do you use an emulator or regular console?
-do you know about obs (open broadcast studio)?
-do you have plans to make your own overlay (helps set your stream apart from others and attract viewers)?
-using an alert system (can just be for followers but I don't know if you plan on including subs or donations) like stream pro?
-how often do you plan on streaming?
- I am using an emulator
- Yes, I use OBS
- I do plan on having an overlay, but do not know how to set it up.
- An alert system is in my interest, yet again, dont know how to set it up, looking these things up though.
- I plan on streaming atleast every other day to start, starting tomorrow. July 22 :)
Thanks for the reply and help btw. Super appreciated

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
- I am using an emulator
- Yes, I use OBS
- I do plan on having an overlay, but do not know how to set it up.
- An alert system is in my interest, yet again, dont know how to set it up, looking these things up though.
- I plan on streaming atleast every other day to start, starting tomorrow. July 22 :)
Thanks for the reply and help btw. Super appreciated
I'm still only kind of new to streaming myself: I haven't been able to get back into it cause I've been busy trying to get a regular job, and then plan on fitting in a stream schedule into it. I've already worked on and made my own overlay. If you want some help with making a basic overlay, to get things started, just follow my homepage link on my profile to my youtube page (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxAodzb1cjaK-kqRLFQqVw?view_as=public)
and there should be my playlist of my most current smash streams. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm advertising. It's just the best way to give an example of how I have mine set-up. It is up to you, and I'm willing to try making another one(with alterations/recommendations if you want) for free of charge. Though I'll give a warning here and say I'm not a professional. Just someone who has some experience with an online image editor. If you want to ask me some questions about how I have it set up, please feel free. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you would like to set your overlay up

For the alert system, I just use StreamPro.com. There are different ones, but just for an example we can go with this. It will more than likely require your own time cause you sync it up to your twitch account and you make the additions. Though I have some steps that should help with setting it up on obs. I'll try to explain it the best I can

1. When you go into the editor, you are given a green screen. You can adjust the size on the green screen canvas. If you are just streaming at around 720p. 1200x720 is usually enough
2. At the top of the left side of the screen you can go to "widgets" to insert other on screen visuals with scrolling text, numbers, images, counts of followers and such. I leave most of the experimenting here for you if you decide to try it
3. When your done, there should be a field on the left side that gives a url of the green screen page. Save progress first. Copy this url in either the editor or ,if you activate the overlay as a separate window, then just copy the url on the top of the window. Head back to obs
4. Not sure if you know how to add sources in obs, but for these next few steps I'll assume you do. When clicking the add source button, use (browser source).
5. copy the url from the stream pro green screen page you were working on, and paste this into the url field you're given in obs. This should let you see the overlay right on the page. Don't worry, the green screen is automatically taken out for you. Depending on what screen size you have in obs, you might want to keep the editor up beside the obs page to make adjustments. You can make changes and see them apply to the obs side after you save changes on the editor. You shouldn't have to worry about keeping the editor/overlay page open on your internet browser when actively streaming. This might be different for you based on what computer/browser you use, but the overlay should work on obs without having to fiddle with the editor on the side.

It is possible that the browser source method might also work with other alert sites. If they also give you an url when editing the page. I've only tried StreamPro up till now, and so please don't quote me on this

not sure how much this will help, but hopefully things turn out okay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom