• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting a Ganon

Zumma

Smash Cadet
Hi, i'm new here.

Anyways, i'm starting to learn Ganon now, and i was hoping you guys could tell me what i should concentrate on learning first.

Any important things that a Ganon user needs to know?

:034:

Smash Hero
Have you read the guides and stickied threads? If no, go do it.

If yes, concentrate first on playing defensive. Get rid of your sidestep and rolling habits if you have 'em. Learn to do the thunderstorm consistently, with full DI. In fact, learn how to DI if you haven't yet. Learn to abuse your high-range moves like dtilt and reverse uair.

And above all, DON'T PANIC!

Zumma

Smash Cadet
I read the guide sometime ago. 'twas nice and informative (of course).

Why no rolling or spotdodging?

And wut's reverse Uair?

Smash Hero
Ganondorf has 'okay' rolls and spotdodge, but more importantly, he has no very quick option that covers all sides after it. Rolling is okay, but most new players abuse it, which is something you shouldn't do.

Reverse uair is exactly what it says on the tin - an uair, but with your back facing the opponent. The most useful time for this is when your opponent is recovering: hitting them with a reverse uair will put them in a spot that is hard to recover from (and for some characters, impossible).

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganondorf has 'okay' rolls and spotdodge, but more importantly, he has no very quick option that covers all sides after it. Rolling is okay, but most new players abuse it, which is something you shouldn't do.
Something to clarify, Ganon rolls and spot-dodges VERY fast, at the start. The only things that make them bad are, well of course, the lag and the options he has out of them.

Zumma

Smash Cadet
OK, reverse Uair is VERY handy indeed :D

And i learned to do thunderstorming, somewhat..

Do you all have tap jump on or off?

Smash Hero
I personally have tap jump off to make uair a little handier... But it's just about what you personally prefer really.

B!squick

Smash Master
I first learned it with tap jump. Once I figured out the proper timing from that I was able to learn roll my thumb from the X button to the A button. I find it's easier with tap jump though.

weinner

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the Ganondorf boards Zumma. Here you will find a helpful community of Ganon mains who are on for a very large amount of their lives whom of which are filled with vast knowledge and information to help you achieve success at playing as the Lord of all Evil as well as giving him the respect he deserves. ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!

Now then, just follow the guide, Dutchman's advice as well as the advice of other Ganondorf mains. Excluding me, as I am still learning to **** properly with Ganondorf.

So, have fun kicking the opposition straight to the depths of the bottom blast zone! <3

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I first learned it with tap jump. Once I figured out the proper timing from that I was able to learn roll my thumb from the X button to the A button. I find it's easier with tap jump though.
What timing? You buffer it. The input is jump -> buffered dair. That is, jump ->_(ASAP) dair.

As for Zumma: Make sure to use hyperstation's Mythbustaz thread in addition to the stickies. Also, be sure to familiarize yourself with Why Ganondorf doesn't have his sword: trufacts version. Important ****.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I'd say focus on learning lagless d-airs, u-airs and b-airs first and foremost; they're very important.

Then learn everything you can about choking. Learn it's follow-ups on chars (don't try to memorize the charts we have posted about the forums just yet, just know that jabs work on many large or heavy chars, f-tilt works on some and d-tilt works on quite a few). Learn not to choke or down-b from far away unless it's a guaranteed hit, which is rare.

While you're working on spacing those, learn to space with d-tilt and u-air. Study the lag of your moves, and know that u-smash can immediately lead into almost anything.

And a jillion other things but you'll probably figure those out on your own during battles, like when to use and not use <insert move here>.

Also learn how to recover properly. I can picture half of the people playing this game and not being able to recover due to gimping and edgehogging and just giving up on Ganon. Don't let this happen to you.

Zumma

Smash Cadet
I can do thunderstorming/lagless Dairs pretty well now. I get them a good 40% right off the bat.

Using the Gerudo is still a bit hard, they always avoid it by jumping or something.

Recovering is not a problem for me, i never get gimped. And if i've got like 150% and the enemy has 20%, and i'm coming back to the stage, i always aim for a Ganoncide. Makes me happy inside.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
I use lagless dairs and uairs the same way, i push y or x, then c-stick up or down and i can move around while doing it w/the control stick and be care full using ganoncide when recovering, one of my friends, when i tried ganonciding him he countered it w/side b (kirby) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szgI-UnG5vQ&feature=channel_page it happens at 1:12 also a couple times ppl have edge guarded my side b, although i may just have bad timeing

my bad, i mean i use lagless dair w/ control stick up+ c-stick down

Zumma

Smash Cadet
I use lagless dairs and uairs the same way, i push y or x, then c-stick up or down and i can move around while doing it w/the control stick and be care full using ganoncide when recovering, one of my friends, when i tried ganonciding him he countered it w/side b (kirby) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szgI-UnG5vQ&feature=channel_page it happens at 1:12 also a couple times ppl have edge guarded my side b, although i may just have bad timeing

my bad, i mean i use lagless dair w/ control stick up+ c-stick down
Ooh, that's a good Kirby.

I do Thunderstorming with cstick and control stick too.

Lets me move where i want while doing Dair, not accidentally doing Fair.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
i know, although i dont know how good he is now he hasnt been on for a couple of months, i know about the fair thing when i tried moving w/ crouch+y or x +a, I kept using a bair or fair and ppl could attack me.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
As it was mentioned before, learn everything you can about Gerudo. Both grounded and aerial. Aerial is a fantastic surprise move reversed, and is the best evar for Norfair/Brinstar's lava.

Learn edge stuff. Go into training and just screw around with what Ganon can and can't do, and the true reach of Dark Dive. It took me a bit to realize how far up you actually go with it. Uair goes through a lot of ledges, and Dark Dive says "GTFO" at the very end of it if they're ledgehogging or just standing on the edge.

Also learn the Flight of Ganon(1:40) for the lulz.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
You need a great timing when you are using him. Try to use 2 Side-B to rack up an initial damage, some grabs and start to use the powerful Ganons smash and you need to learn a D-air with no Lag.
Another Tip for you, Practice the Meteor Smash, is a good and simple way to kill the opponent.

Ganondorf isn't easy to be PRO with.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
one of the most crucial aspects of learning any new character, not just ganon, is identifying the capabilities of all aspects of their recovery, because honestly, what are you gonna do if every time you're knocked of stage you never make it back on.

one way to help is go to training and stand in random spots on FD and spawn bombombs. then throw one down to propel you off the stage, making sure that you vary your recoveries from each one.

alternatively, you could just play a lot of matches -.-

Twilight_Warrior

Smash Cadet
I am also new here, but rather than starting my own thread, I'd figure I'd use this one so conveniently here.
I'm trying to get thunderstorming down, but everytime i try, he lags at the end because I Dair'd too late...
What I'm doing is tapping X as fast as I can, then c-stick down because everytime I use down A, it always does his Fair instead of his Dair because my fingers just aren't fast enough. Any advice?

Also, yes Flight of Ganon is lulz. I got my bro with it and he's like "WTF JUST HAPPENED?"

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Don't try moving forward or backwards yet when you're first learning the lagless stomp.
If you hold "down" then roll your finger from "x/y" to "a", there should be no way to do a f-air.
Practice doing this in one spot until you can pull it off 90% of the time at least.
Then you can focus on going mobile with it.
Going mobile just requires you to recognize when the stomp has activated then moving your control stick from "down" to "left/right".

It took me a long time (maybe almost a week of casual playing) to get this down, so just keep at it. The timing will eventually click.

Twilight_Warrior

Smash Cadet
OOOOOHHHHhhh...so you stomp and THEN move left/right in the middle of the stomp? OK, I was trying move left/right then stomp. k, I'll try it.

Top Bottom