• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter or Unlockable?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Lucario was an unlockable in brawl so it would be common sense that he would be that again but since brawl Lucario has become a secondary mascot for the series being featured in tons of merchandise and having a big role in X and Y so that could change, What do you think?

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
My guess is that he'll be unlockable. But then again, with his importance in X and Y, it could change. He basically became the face of the newer generations of Pokemon.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
It could be 50/50% that he could end up as a starter (he is the 2nd mascot more or less now), or unlockable (this assuming Pokémon ends up with the same exact reps from Brawl).

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Eh, it really depends on whether or not Mewtwo comes back. I think if both are in the game, Mewtwo would be the one you'd have to unlock.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Eh, it really depends on whether or not Mewtwo comes back. I think if both are in the game, Mewtwo would be the one you'd have to unlock.
I agree 100%, although Lucario could end up being the 1st character to be unlocked, like Jigglypuff was in the 1st 2 Smash games.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
It makes sense for marth to be a starter, but for Lucario? If Mewtwo returns/have a new unlockable poke rep, then yeah Lucario would be a starter

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Who else would they make a starter? She was confirmed closer to the announcement in the halfway mark between that and release date.
I don't think only Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac will be starters.
The other characters they announce before release

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Her being unlockable in Mario does not automatically mean she will be here, otherwise by that kind of argument Luigi would have been a starter character in the previous Smash games.
Think about it though. Mario Kart 8 revealed the Koopalings, and I highly doubt that they'll be available right off the bat. This could apply to Smash Bros. as well.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
We know that unlockable characters can become starter characters (C. Falcon, Ness, and apparently Luigi), so I don't think it would be that far fetched to say that Lucario is a starter. He still could be unlockable, though, given that Snake and Sonic were officially revealed before the release date and were still unlockable.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think since PT is at this point pretty much deconfirmed Lucario can definitely be a starter.
Although they could just do pikachu and charizard and even greninja if they wanted to, I mean he's a starter in his own games

Thor

Smash Champion
I foresee two/three Pokémon reps being starters: Pikachu, Charizard, and ______, which is either Greninja or Lucario.

Lucario could get a promotion, but given that Pikachu and Charizard are historically starters, both in Smash and in their respective games, it makes no sense to make either unlockable. I can see Lucario being a starter or not, for me it's a coin-flip. Heads, he's unlockable, tails, he's a starter (because tails never fails).

I'm flipping the coin now:

*flips*

My nickel came up tails. So Lucario will be a starter, unless you think I had to flip a quarter (usually the flipping coin of choice), at which point the flip is invalid. I'm too lazy to go find a quarter.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming lucario and greninja being unlockable

Last edited:

DM1

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai said the only reason Luigi was announced was because Year of Luigi, so a lot of people assume he generally isn't revealing any characters that are unlockable. That being said though, I think it might be a little bizarre to have 4 Mario reps, 4 Zelda reps, and 5 pokemon reps right off the bat. And, excluding Luigi (and Megaman and Sonic who are probably going to be unlockable), we're already up to a starting roster of 26 whilst brawl only had 20 (24 including alt/transformation characters). I'm starting to question whether some characters will be unlockable.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
A part of me wants to think everyone confirmed so far barring 3rd parties are starters.

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
A part of me wants to think everyone confirmed so far barring 3rd parties are starters.
I'm going with this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai not reveal any locked characters for Brawl until after it's release, because he considered them "spoilers"? This excludes Sonic and Snake obviously, as they had to be revealed beforehand for hype and all that jazz, with third-party characters being a big deal then.

With that in mind, I'd assume that every character we've seen so far (aside from Sonic and Megaman) will be starters. The only perplexing thing about this though, is that it would make Luigi a starter, despite him having been locked in every previous game.

But, if this speculation is true, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja will all be the Pokemon starters, with Jigglypuff and any others that may be joining (or re-joining, in Mewtwo's case) being locked.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm going with this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai not reveal any locked characters for Brawl until after it's release, because he considered them "spoilers"? This excludes Sonic and Snake obviously, as they had to be revealed beforehand for hype and all that jazz, with third-party characters being a big deal then.

With that in mind, I'd assume that every character we've seen so far (aside from Sonic and Megaman) will be starters. The only perplexing thing about this though, is that it would make Luigi a starter, despite him having been locked in every previous game.

But, if this speculation is true, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja will all be the Pokemon starters, with Jigglypuff and any others that may be joining (or re-joining, in Mewtwo's case) being locked.
It might be different for Luigi as everyone knows he'd never get cut so he just got confirmed.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I don't think he's revealing starters only just characters that coincide with game releases

Gune

Smash Lord
betting money on starter, second pokemon revealed still the same move set wouldn't be surprising to see him as a starter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom