• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter or not? Discuss.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think so, too. It's just a gut feeling; I don't really have any theories or whatever to back up my opinion.

Haha, just imagine him and Snake fighting together. :p

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
i thought all the revealed guys were starters (not 3rd party), but the dedede, kirby AND metaknight always bugged me.
if it wasn't for dedede i would have thought he was starter, but now i'm thinking he's unlockable, as would metaknight be.

(dedede is in the 1st event, and kirby in 1st SSE)

still not really sure, sakuri might just feel like kirby deserves 3 starters.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Im going to say no, he will most definatly not be a starter. In I'll even say that you probably can't unlock him till later on. Like say... after Sonic and Snake. I also don't have any solid evidence, It's simply a prediction.

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
of course he's a starter, Sakurai has said in the past that he's only releasing starters, just because characters aren't openers in SE doesn't mean they aren't starters in multiplayer.

remember, SE follows a storyline, it'd just be inconvenient to say that all the starters are immediately selectable.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I would say he's not a starter if it wasn't for Dedede, who does seem to be one judging by his early apperance in an Event...

Though I suppose any characters revealed at this point might be secret. It would make sense if SOMETHING separated them from the ones we got before this long draught.

burrito

Smash Lord
First, of all, I think all characters so far are starters. Captain Olimar definitely deserves to be a starter, anyway. He represents a major franchise.

Fawriel

Smash Master
So did Marth. =P
I don't think there's anything like "deserving" to be a starter... there's a certain dignity in requiring effort to be made playable, don't you think?

Urser

Smash Apprentice
Ofcourse he's a starter. Sakurai isn't revealing hidden characters. That's why there hasn't been any Luigi/Captain Falcon update.

burrito

Smash Lord
Marth's franchise wasn't really major at the time. It was a Japanese only franchise at the time. So, it was made hidden.

I mean, they should try to represent as many major series as they can in the starter characters. Hidden characters have always been more secondary franchise characters or new franchises that aren't as popular.

So, yeah, I do think there are some characters that are deserving to be a starter. I'm not saying that hidden characters aren't as good as starter characters or anything. There are some characters that deserve to be hidden, as well. Basically, the starter screen is going to be the first thing that one sees when they start the game, and for newbs, it might possibly be the only thing they see. So, starter characters always stand out more, while hidden characters have more of a secretive quality.

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure he's a starter with the exception of 3rd party of course since they were revealed for publicity reasons. If he wasn't he wouldn't be much of secret now would he ;)

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Every character confirmed before olimer is a starter. Olimer i'd like to be a starter but because of the long draught i really think he's secret.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Since you say I can say no to if I am starting,
He will likly be one of the characters, when I begin to expand my character range (I.e figured out my mains and gotten to know them well, then I go to alternates)

Panduh

Smash Journeyman
Um, I hope he's a starter - not that it matters, but I don't want to know any of the secret characters ( though Sonic and Snake...)

TheKruskinator

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I think he'll be a starter character - He just seems to complex and complicated for a starter. Starter Characters are going to be the first thing a new player sees when they pick up Brawl. Picking a character like Olimar could turn you away from the game easily, giving the impression that the game is too complicated for you.

That's just me though.

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I think he'll be a starter character - He just seems to complex and complicated for a starter. Starter Characters are going to be the first thing a new player sees when they pick up Brawl. Picking a character like Olimar could turn you away from the game easily, giving the impression that the game is too complicated for you.

That's just me though.
In Melee, Zelda and Ice climbers were in the same position, yet they were starters.

I think that all the revealed characters are starters (With the exception of maybe 3rd partys) Since characters such as Luigi, Jiggly and Cap. Falcon are not confirmed yet.

Edit: Also, PT is a starter, which may also be "Complicated".

Zek

Smash Ace
Guys, stop just regurgitating the "no unlockables" stuff like it's fact. That's been almost certainly false from the beginning with Snake, and Sonic. Yeah they're third party, but don't just assume you know what Sakurai is doing.

I'm guessing he's unlockable. If he was a starter then why wasn't he announced during the 2 and a half month character drought? My guess is that P&O is a sign that Sakurai decided to announce a couple unlockables as release approaches to build some hype again.

Rampe

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling that Olimar wont be Starter character...
It seems to be very good character cause Pikmins die quickly and he need them to use attacks. Cause he`s hard to use, he have to be good =P

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I'm guessing everyone reveal after the new year (drought) to be an unlockable. Even snake and sonic is starting.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I have a feeling that Olimar wont be Starter character...
It seems to be very good character cause Pikmins die quickly and he need them to use attacks. Cause he`s hard to use, he have to be good =P
Somewhere, in some fictional universe, Ness just burst out in tears.

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure anyone announced is a starter with a possible exception of Sonic and Snake. My reasoning being because any character who was unlockable in either of the previous two games haven't been announced yet, thus giving the impression none have been announced other than the 3rd party treats we got (one to show that they are considering 3rd parties and the second to make up for the delay). So that being said, yes, I do believe Olimar to be a standard character (I was about to say lockable, which would be the opposite of unlockable, but doesn't quite fit).

Rosadiddly

Smash Cadet
i actually think he'll be unlockable... 'cause I've got a feeling that he'll play a later role in the SSE, and Sakurai did say that most characters will be unlockable in that fashion

burrito

Smash Lord
Guys, stop just regurgitating the "no unlockables" stuff like it's fact. That's been almost certainly false from the beginning with Snake, and Sonic. Yeah they're third party, but don't just assume you know what Sakurai is doing.
I have plenty of good reason to believe that all the characters so far are starters.

Panduh

Smash Journeyman
I have plenty of good reason to believe that all the characters so far are starters.
But in like, a trillion articles on the forum and internet, Sakurai said
he was gunna have 3rd party characters secret.

Sorry, normally I'd give a source, but our internet is uber slow cuz I got out of a power outage:dizzy:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would say he's going to be an unlockable i think were're only going to have a few new comers that will be open we know pit and diddy are some of them i would think olimar will comp into it if the subspace emessary ends up going into space.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hes most likely a starter. The only ones who arent are Snake and Sonic, and that seems logical if you think about it.

Gary

Smash Apprentice
I think he'll be a starter because he was revealed. Before Melee came out, the only characters revealed were starters, right? I don't see why this would be different.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I don't think Olimar will be a starter. Reason being is that he seems to be somewhat complex. It'd make sense for new players to learn to play the game before being introduced to him.

burrito

Smash Lord
But in like, a trillion articles on the forum and internet, Sakurai said
he was gunna have 3rd party characters secret.

Sorry, normally I'd give a source, but our internet is uber slow cuz I got out of a power outage:dizzy:
He hasn't said anything like that in a trillion of articles. This common belief comes from one thing he said on the Japanese Brawl website that was around before the dojo. I've read it before, here: (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642&highlight=samurai+panda) , also look at the more accurate translation, not the short misleading one.

According to the thread, "Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character". Saying it is "more fitting is far from a confirmation. Sakurai didn't seem very sure of himself at the time, but it is my belief that he decided to make 3rd party character starters. Other things that Sakurai said later help to re-affirm this, but I don't feel like citing those at the moment.

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
OMG, i have a news flash update, straight from Nintendo headquarters, 'Sakurai is not a robot!'

yes, it's true, he's totally human, and as such, he is able to make mistakes, think about it, may he have, perhaps, been overcome in an interview with people throwing rumors at him left right and centre and made a mistake *GASP* or even worse, fudged the truth to solve an argument or a suspicion (shut up the crowd)

so now, let's all just stop throwing around the 'sakurai said' concept and let him be, you guys are worse than the paparrazzi (i wonder if Sakurai has problems with stalkers, on that note...)

also note that the format of the SSB franchise is such that anything could happen, awkward characters can be starters, items or levels can make no sense, things seemingly irrelevant can get thrown in for the fun of it. lets just say, as a point of solving the argument, that poor Olimar is a character, he is a character that uses five pikmin and he's a character who many are eager to see. (there is no indication that he'd be an awkward character, think link's bombs and peach's turnips) what else do we have, really?

IllidR

Smash Champion
I really don't know if Olimar is going to be a starter or not. He was always, in my mind at least, a very likely candidate for an unlockable character because he would be a new series represented within Smashbros. But with his revealing before the game came out I'm stuck at crossroads...

I guess I'll have to say he will be unlockable and stick with my first assumptions.

Top Bottom