• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Start a match as ZSS - the same as starting as Overall Wario?

SamDvds

Smash Ace
the likelyhood of the same person (in your example a samus player) getting an already rare occuring item (FS) twice in one match (providing there is even more than 1 FS dropped in that match) is not very high. the point of sheik/zelda is that you can change back and forth through the whole match. also, zamus has her own character space in the dojo updates, and i think it would be an awesome idea if she was her own character. Think of her like Ivy from soul calibur..her combo potential could be great..(think paralyzer to up throw to up B to pull the opponent back down...maybe then a D-smash if they land at your feet)

gamer8

Smash Lord
If the "hold-A" function is in Brawl for Zelda/Sheik, I would imagine it will be for Samus/Zamus also.

However, giving Zamus her own spot on the roster is, frankly, a bad idea.
Its redundant, its sloppy, it makes no sense whatsoever. If anything, they should have the "hold-A" function just change the picture to Sheik/Zamus.

I can understand the logic behind why people would say "Zamus is supposed to be Samus's final resort so it should be kept to her FS and thats it," but think of it this way, also--
If you start off as Zamus, then your FS is the opposite of Samus's: a less threatening, (but still powerful) surge of energy, but your character is then permanently buffed up with a power suit until you get a smash ball again (whereas Samus has a very threatening FS but then she becomes permanently more vulnerable as Zamus). I hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

The real question is whether the "hold-A" function would trigger a new entrance for the Sheik/Zamus, or would the original character start off the match and immediately change to the "other" form?
YOU FAIL.

Zamus should be a separate char anyways, why do you people keep denying it?

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
YOU FAIL.

Zamus should be a separate char anyways, why do you people keep denying it?
Yes, she should be a different character. Getting a smash ball just to become her is a bit out of the way. if people are maining Zamus then they'll also have to main Samus. which is also a bit weird... but possible. I just dont want to wait for a smash ball to be Z-Suit Samus... thats just my input. :ohwell:

zagman505

Smash Cadet
well, shiek now has her own spot on the dojo, so saying that zamus should get a separate spot just because of that is kind of pointless. i think that if anything, the hold a sort of thing should be implemented, because having to depend on FS to use zamus just doesn't seem likely, but dedicating a whole character slot to zamus also seems to be a waste of space. maybe at most the character slot for samus will be split in two with half being samus and half being zamus?

Kips

Smash Ace
How is it pointless to give her a slot? She's a unique character and performs completely different from Samus, as well as having some weaker points and stronger points. And if you bring in the same person arguement, Link and Young Link? Hello? They didn't even have that much of a difference in movesets, only functionability.

Zamus deserves her own slot.

zagman505

Smash Cadet
well bringing young link into the discussion, i don't believe that young link should have been a character at all. and i meant they were the same character in that by using one you can have access to both, which was not true for young link and link. and saying that zamus should have her own character slot just because she's so different is pointless, you might as well say that shiek deserves her own spot, you can't get much more difference than shiek and zelda. the only real difference between zelda/shiek and samus/zamus is that it's easier to transform as zelda/shiek, which is why i don't think that zamus should get her own specific character slot. there are other possibilities for using zamus at the start of a match, i would prefer hold+a or something.

Kips

Smash Ace
Well lets assume ZSS was a separate unlockable character. She doesn't take anyone elses slot, she doesn't take anybodies chances for you Geno fanboys out there... Would you like her as a separate character?

gamer8

Smash Lord
lol yes y.link was a waste of character space as was pichu
Pichu was just a pathetic, rushed, weaker, copied version of Pikachu, Young link was also completely copied from Link, but actually Young Link was pretty good.

Well lets assume ZSS was a separate unlockable character. She doesn't take anyone elses slot, she doesn't take anybodies chances for you Geno fanboys out there... Would you like her as a separate character?
Yeah.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
i love pikachu. he can do everything pichu can but alottttt better. pichu can be annoying at best b/c he is such a short, small target.

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
Would be interesting if, while holding A, the intro for zamus would be the suit crumbling off. just a thought.

Kips

Smash Ace
That would make an interesting entrance scene. Samus sort of just warps in and then her armor crumbles off, paralyzer whipped out and ready to go. Might also make it a bit of a mindgame in tournaments. Play Samus one round then wham, you play Zamus suddenly in the next round. Could make for some interesting play adjustments.

zagman505

Smash Cadet
still no. i just don't think that she needs a separate slot for herself when they could implement an easier way to be able to start the match as her.

and yeah i would like that intro. or maybe her intro would instead be her ship crashing into the battlefield and she emerges from the wreckage as ZSS

gamer8

Smash Lord
still no. i just don't think that she needs a separate slot for herself when they could implement an easier way to be able to start the match as her.
Why exactly not? She wouldn't take anybodies space up and it would mean more Metroid fans could use an extra character (seriously we need more metroid characters, ridley next please).

zagman505

Smash Cadet
because she's NOT an extra character, just an extension/transformation or whatever you want to call it of samus. if there was no link at all between samus and ZSS, if they were truly separate characters, then obviously she would deserve her own spot, but since you can transform between samus and ZSS during a match, it just doesn't make sense to me to make a completely separate spot just for ZSS.

the most i could see happening in terms of giving her a separate character slot is what i mentioned before, splitting samus' character slot in half along the diagonal, and having half being samus and half be ZSS. that would allow people to select her from the start but it would still keep them linked as opposed to appearing separate.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
if thats the case then young link/link should have been in the same char. space as well as pichu/pikachu. or even mario/doc mario. their move sets mirrored eachother with the exception of a pill/fireball and a friggin costume. zsuit and regular samus have COMPLETELY different movesets, making them play completely different styles.

zagman505

Smash Cadet
well, again i don't think that they should have been characters at all. same goes for dr. mario, falco, ganondorf (he should have had a different moveset) and roy/marth. but there's a difference between clone characters which, although they have basically the same moveset, are sadly separate characters, and samus/ZSS, who are still completely linked.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
agreed y.link and pichu are jokes...but if the game developers thought enough of them to make a separate slot then it is likely zsuit samus will get her own as well

zagman505

Smash Cadet
lol i guess that might be true. whatever. i still don't think that she should get her own completely separate slot, but i don't really feel like debating about it anymore. here's to hoping that we at least get some way to start off as ZSS, later all

Mounshadowz

Smash Rookie
Back on topic, if they, in tounrneys turned on smash ball just for samus to use the zero laser, then use it and miss, then start the match as normal ignoring the smash balls afterwards. That may be plausable.

QuickBlade

Smash Cadet
Hopefully she will b like sheik in melee were u can hold down a button to start the match as her, if not she will most likely not see play in tourneys.

Kips

Smash Ace
Obviously she will not see play in tourneys if there is no hold-button-receive-Zamus function. Why? Because items are turned off and just turning on smash balls will make good characters who have good FS's even better.

solrac_krad

Smash Apprentice
Since items can be turned off, ZSS will likely get a "hold-button" or a separate slot, or just some other option so you can start with her at the beggining of the match

rtmcs1017

Smash Cadet
I sure hope so..

I think its somewhat lame that Sakurai and his development team dangled Zero Suit Samus in front of our faces as a completely separate and selectable character AND hyped her up, but now seem to suggest that she is ONLY playable when a Final Smash is used. I was planning on using her as my main fighter simply because I like that she's a fast character and has a set of moves that seem like an odd mix of Sheik and Sonic almost. If I can't use Zero Suit Samus without the smash balls, that's seriously going to be a disappointment. If Sakurai or his development team happen to read this somehow, PLEASE implement a selection option for her! Having a character rendered completely useless for tournament play is a BAD IDEA.

Anyway, only time will tell. This game is going to be amazing regardless, but I sure hope they implement or have already implemented an option to allow Zero Suit Samus playable from the beginning of the match sans items.

Fingers crossed on this one! :ohwell:

S2

Smash Lord
I think its somewhat lame that Sakurai and his development team dangled Zero Suit Samus in front of our faces as a completely separate and selectable character AND hyped her up, but now seem to suggest that she is ONLY playable when a Final Smash is used. I was planning on using her as my main fighter simply because I like that she's a fast character and has a set of moves that seem like an odd mix of Sheik and Sonic almost. If I can't use Zero Suit Samus without the smash balls, that's seriously going to be a disappointment. If Sakurai or his development team happen to read this somehow, PLEASE implement a selection option for her! Having a character rendered completely useless for tournament play is a BAD IDEA.

Anyway, only time will tell. This game is going to be amazing regardless, but I sure hope they implement or have already implemented an option to allow Zero Suit Samus playable from the beginning of the match sans items.

Fingers crossed on this one! :ohwell:
Agreed. She needs to be seperate, even if its an unlockable. If you can't pick her from the start of a match, then she's really going to be a throw-away waste of space. Yeah, I considered maining her because she was my favorite of the newcommers... but if you can't select her then whats the point?

Here's to hoping you can select her the same way you can overall Wario.

Kips

Smash Ace
Agreed. She needs to be seperate, even if its an unlockable. If you can't pick her from the start of a match, then she's really going to be a throw-away waste of space. Yeah, I considered maining her because she was my favorite of the newcommers... but if you can't select her then whats the point?

Here's to hoping you can select her the same way you can overall Wario.
It seems like she's way too popular to NOT be a selectable character. The resulting backlash from her not being one would be a crippling blow to our trust in Sakurai.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
what they need to do is just have an update on the dojo confirming if she will be selectable or not. they dont have to say HOW...if she's unlockable then i can figure it out on my own but they do need to confirm it so the zss main hopefulls can pick another main if she's banned for tourneys.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
If you seen the way PT chooses his starting pokemon,
This could be a ay for ZSS to get her big break...

just choose samus, move your cursor on over to your profile area and click on samus' picture

And there ya go, Samus' picture turns into ZSS
ZSS without another Character Slot

Kips

Smash Ace
Well you see the problem with her isn't the slot itself, it's that people are worried that if she is selectable she will take some other characters slot. I feel this isn't true and that she could be in without removing someone elses chances.

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
Well you see the problem with her isn't the slot itself, it's that people are worried that if she is selectable she will take some other characters slot. I feel this isn't true and that she could be in without removing someone elses chances.
yep, PT doesn''t take three slots and you can choose between the three,
they'll prolly do the same with ZSS

but then again... who knows

gamer8

Smash Lord
How does that take someone elses chances? Jeez some people out there are idiots...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I read somewhere about this guy who was playing a demo, and he said that one of those worker people said that you can start out as ZSS if you press A in the beginning of the battle when it says 'ready set go'. or may be it was down B or down a or something.

Rakath

Smash Ace
It'd be easier if they just Wario/PT the change... I mean really...

Kips

Smash Ace
How does that take someone elses chances? Jeez some people out there are idiots...
Well see, some people are fixated on the fact that there might be 35 or 40 or so characters, meaning that if Zamus got her own slot... Wel it could knock one of the other characters out of contention for a precious Brawl slot. They feel that Zamus is not quite a whole character, thus meaning she could be reducing the quality of the game as a whole when she becomes a seperate slot.

tl;dr- Yes, people are idiots.

gamer8

Smash Lord
OMFG ZSS better be playable separately someway, F*ck you Sakurai, what the hell is the point of letting you choose between Sheik and Zelda but not ZSS? It's much harder to turn into ZSS all you freaking have to do is use transform to turn into freaking Sheik! My god, better be unlockable in the subspace emissary or something, I don't like it when this happens to my mains.

Top Bottom