• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Start a match as ZSS - the same as starting as Overall Wario?

Ireo

Smash Rookie
After todays update about Overall Wario, I realised that this could be the way to choose to begin a match as ZSS.

I think it could be a possibility.

Thoughts?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zero Suit Samus is a different character entirely though, not a mere change of costume.

One can count on a way to start a match as ZSS. As for how, that's all up to speculation. She could have her own spot on the character select next to Samus, the "Hold A" trick might be used (preferable, since it gives much more freedom of choice in 1-player games), or maybe the OP's idea.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'm thinking "hold A". This logically can lead to different intros depending on who you are entering the battle as Zelda/Samus or Sheik/ZSS (assuming Sheik is still in Zelda's moveset).

iron blade

Smash Ace
No. Not like Wario at all. ZSS isn't an alt, she's a completely different character while being part of Samus at the same time. I'm betting on the 'hold A' thing as well.

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
Im betting my coins on the ol' HOLD A method as it seems more preferable.

:034:

Smash Hero
I'm thinking she'll be a seperate character on the select screen... I don't have much hope for the Hold A function, but sure.

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
So another Shiek character? I think it's rather sensible for Z-Suit Samus to be after the FS. Samus's Z-Suit is her Last Resort. She uses it after her main suit fails/breaks or just shuts down. To have Z-Suit Samus has the after effect of the FS as well as to have her on the character screen is kinda unorderly. Samus's FS effect is to use Z-Suit Samus. It's part of Samus's FS Achievement. It Also makes you want to use the FS more.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
i think that zamaus can only be played only if you get the smash ball and with reason introductions plus it would be illogical for samaus to shed her suit right away seriously if you had a power suit would you take it off right away?

True Fool

Smash Ace
i think that zamaus can only be played only if you get the smash ball and with reason introductions plus it would be illogical for samaus to shed her suit right away seriously if you had a power suit would you take it off right away?
Yes, because Smash Bros. is obviously the most logic-heavy game of 2008.

Cocoashadow

Smash Apprentice
That would be neat to have a press A function, but I'll probably end up just playing as power suit Samus.

Jumble

Smash Apprentice
That would be neat to have a press A function, but I'll probably end up just playing as power suit Samus.

That could work
Just like turning into Shiek before the match starts in melee
Also maybe you'll have to be Samus for a battle,
and then the first match that you transform, after the match is done
there is a character box for Zamus in the character selection screen
so you can just click on Samus or Zamus
whoever you want to start with

Dargum

Smash Rookie
i think you should start of as samus, then crouch rapidly a couple of times (in game), after a couple of crouches a chime or something will happen to the suit signalling that if u do the same crouching set again her suit automatically falls of. instead of relying on a smash ball this ingame move will trigger the suit to deactivate. same wit zzs her bodysuit will magnetize and parts of her suit from where ever will magnetize on her boddy becoming samus agen.

thats the only thing i can think that they should do, not nessecarily croughing or w/e but an ingame speacial movement that would trigger the change. keep her down b bomb obviously

KF11

Smash Apprentice
is would not be a good things since i sence ZZS will be the new sheik if its like that, everybody will just select her and never play as samus like everyone did with zelda in brawl

like its implemented is good because now you need to learn how to play with both for not just as one

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
With the possibility that competitive matches won't feature Smash Balls (possibility! Don't leap on me for this!) it'd be great if there were means to play as ZSS via button pressing, however I'd heard from a poster here that they'd attempted to do the "hold A" trick at E4All, yet nothing happened. It's possible that they hadn't implemented the trick in the demo, or it was a different button, but if there's no trick then I suppose tourney players might be out of luck depending on the Smash Ball decision. =/ Though you have a point KF11, we don't want Samus becoming the new Zelda, so this way of obtaining ZSS is fine in my book, since I'll have Smash Balls on anyway. :)

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I agree Zero suit samus is a whole new character but still being the same person. I doubt you can start a match with her but it would be really cool if you could

KF11

Smash Apprentice
I agree Zero suit samus is a whole new character but still being the same person. I doubt you can start a match with her but it would be really cool if you could
see even if we disagree about stephanie being in brawl we can agree about this:):):)

Sputnikk8156

Smash Journeyman
heres the other thing....

since the smash ball is considered an "item"

that would make it illegal for tournament play...etc.

so that would make ZSS illegal as well then?

since you can only access her from samus's final smash...from what we know so far.

so i'm leaning towards the character select screen, or the hold A trick.

iMichael

Smash Lord
ZSS is a seperate character....

Samus's FS is Zero Laser and the penalty is turning into ZSS. In videos and update pictures they show ZSS like shes a seperate character...which I believe this is true. People who play as ZSS have the "option" to turn back into Samus using her FS. See there....that's the "option", people who want to play as the other character must use the FS. This is why I believe she is a seperate character....I think what Sakurai is doing is giving players the "option" to start out as what character they want and then giving them another "option" to switch using their FS. Depending on how good you are with Samus...you can become a deadly person like HugS for example: He can start out as ZSS and slaughter his opponent then during the match get a Smash Ball and turn into Samus...becoming even more of a threat. What I'm saying is quite simple, yet it is hard to say over the net, but if you understand me you'll most likely agree.

KF11

Smash Apprentice
ZSS is a seperate character....

Samus's FS is Zero Laser and the penalty is turning into ZSS. In videos and update pictures they show ZSS like shes a seperate character...which I believe this is true. People who play as ZSS have the "option" to turn back into Samus using her FS. See there....that's the "option", people who want to play as the other character must use the FS. This is why I believe she is a seperate character....I think what Sakurai is doing is giving players the "option" to start out as what character they want and then giving them another "option" to switch using their FS. Depending on how good you are with Samus...you can become a deadly person like HugS for example: He can start out as ZSS and slaughter his opponent then during the match get a Smash Ball and turn into Samus...becoming even more of a threat. What I'm saying is quite simple, yet it is hard to say over the net, but if you understand me you'll most likely agree.
no cuz i think sakurai is trying to avoid the "sheik/zelda" thing from melee look at the facts:

pokemon trainer --------> cant stay only as one pokemon because of the stamina system thing

SAmus/ZZS -------------> need to use the FS to transform so you could just use one form if you only want to play with samus but if you wanna play as ZZS you need to at least be good with samus to to get the SB

iMichael

Smash Lord
no cuz i think sakurai is trying to avoid the "sheik/zelda" thing from melee look at the facts:

pokemon trainer --------> cant stay only as one pokemon because of the stamina system thing

You can stay as one poke'mon....he just says it wont be good for them.

"They all share the same damage meter, so they don’t recover from damage during Pokémon Change. But they also have another stat, which you might call stamina.

If you keep fighting with the same Pokémon, or if you change them out too often, it’s not so good for the Pokémon" - Masahiro Sakurai

SAmus/ZZS -------------> need to use the FS to transform so you could just use one form if you only want to play with samus but if you wanna play as ZZS you need to at least be good with samus to to get the SB
So your saying this is a fact? I wouldn't be trying to state facts if you haven't played the final version. Right now...these are only our thoughts on ZSS and her being a seperate character.

KF11

Smash Apprentice
So your saying this is a fact? I wouldn't be trying to state facts if you haven't played the final version. Right now...these are only our thoughts on ZSS and her being a seperate character.
im just saying thats seem like thats what sakurai is trying to do

gamer8

Smash Lord
One of these 3 need to happen:

1. She's a completely different character from Samus.
2. She's playable the same way as overall Wario.
3. You could play as her by holding down the A button like Zelda to Shiek.

She just better be separate someway, I don't want to have to use Samus' final smash every single time to use one of my mains.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I would imagine you'll be able to decide who you want to start as, ZSS or Samus, simply because ZSS's final smash reverts you back into samus, which is basically like giving her extra fire power (sort of) so you could assume thats about as good as the samus - Zss transition from Samus' FS.

So yes, I see being able to pick who you start as to be perfectly logical.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
At first i thought the holding down A trick like sheik/zelda would work but now im leaning towards Zamus being a separate character on the select screen for a few reasons:

1. the whole idea of zelda/sheik is that you can change at any time during the match. If you mean to play sheik and forget to hold down A, you can always press down B at any time. It would be really annoying if in tournaments someone meant to start as Zamus and forgets to hold down A so they have to restart.

2. If the holding down A trick (or any button combination) worked, im sure gimpy or hugs or one of the ppl who tested brawl would have found it.

3. I remember reading somewhere (but this was a while ago so dont quote me) that only 1 Final Smash appears per round, with the exception of the pity final smash, so if you could ONLY pick samus to start, and only 1 FS appears, Zamus wouldnt even get to use her FS ever....and that doesnt make sense.

So i really think having Zamus as a separate character is the most likely option. you probably have to unlock her by beating the adventure mode with regular samus or something...

Kips

Smash Ace
Those are some good theories. They make sense and are very insightful. I would also like to add that it would make very little sense to have Zamus, a popular character by far, be incredibly hard to obtain for just thirty seconds. Perhaps the delay is to make her separate?

courte

Smash Lord
...should have charge bomb[multiples] and super bomb glitches

SamDvds

Smash Ace
lol the sig above reminds me...i hope they come up with better crowd cheering than corny slogans like 'roy's our boy' or 'zelda zelda HUH'

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
If the "hold-A" function is in Brawl for Zelda/Sheik, I would imagine it will be for Samus/Zamus also.

However, giving Zamus her own spot on the roster is, frankly, a bad idea.
Its redundant, its sloppy, it makes no sense whatsoever. If anything, they should have the "hold-A" function just change the picture to Sheik/Zamus.

I can understand the logic behind why people would say "Zamus is supposed to be Samus's final resort so it should be kept to her FS and thats it," but think of it this way, also--
If you start off as Zamus, then your FS is the opposite of Samus's: a less threatening, (but still powerful) surge of energy, but your character is then permanently buffed up with a power suit until you get a smash ball again (whereas Samus has a very threatening FS but then she becomes permanently more vulnerable as Zamus). I hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

The real question is whether the "hold-A" function would trigger a new entrance for the Sheik/Zamus, or would the original character start off the match and immediately change to the "other" form?

Top Bottom