• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox 64 voice actors

D

Deleted member

The Star Fox 64 voice actor wasn't bad, but my favorite is by far his Melee voice. Something about it makes him sound....German? I don't know why, but I love it!

"Mission...Complete!"

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
Oh dear god, he sounds awful. It's like he gets kicked in the nards just before every fight. I'm having a real hard time believing that's the same dude who voiced him in SF64.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Lol he sounds pretty nasally when he says "Fire!"

I am 99% sure that is not Mike West. Like at times the voice sounds similar-ish..., but at other times entirely different. I would be extremely surprised if it actually were Mr West; and pretty disappointed. :/

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is this real? Brawl's Fox sounded like Assault's or Adventure's Fox. This one doesn't even sound like 64's Fox who does not sound annoying as hell.

Gatlin

I can't get over how terribly awful his voice is, lol. Someone must seriously hate Fox to have given him that.

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what people were expecting. Mike West only did Fox once and has gotten older since Starfox 64; he should barely remember how to do that same performance. Don't forget the scratchy vocal tracks keeping you from hearing his voice go bad.

Honestly, the performance I hear from Fox in this game seems on par with his performance in the 3DS remake.

Last edited:

Gatlin

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Mike West only did Fox once and has gotten older since Starfox 64; he should barely remember how to do that same performance. Don't forget the scratchy vocal tracks keeping you from hearing his voice go bad.

Honestly, the performance I hear from Fox in this game seems on par with his performance in the 3DS remake.
Do you have a source stating that it is actually him? Out of curiosity.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

It just doesn't sound like West; he doesn't have that high of a pitched voice. It's probably because 64 and the remake used mic-filter so it sounds different than a natural sound.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Do you have a source stating that it is actually him? Out of curiosity.
All pulled out of my bum good sir. I haven't reached the English credits yet. It just reminds me of his voice when he screams.

It has that high pitch I heard in Star Fox 3D as if he is attempting to sound like a 20 year old.

Edit: apparently the IMDB page says it's him, but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I don't like how fox sounds in this game especially after hearing him say landmaster, that got to be the worst line I ever heard him say in this game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I believe it was Sakurai's mission to give Fox the most awful voice ever to keep the competitive players from doing ''Fox Only".

:troll:

vinerd

Smash Cadet
Yeah Fox's voice is bad, but I think Falco's is even worse! He has one of those voices that literally ANYONE can do, and they didn't even give him his Brooklyn accent!

Also, when you use Fire Bird in battle, it sounds like he's saying "BUTTER!" to me. No joke check it out.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Even with Paula Deen callout for a move and everyman voice. Falco's voice at least makes him sound like a man.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
If Smash 4 continues the Brawl trend then they will use whatever actor was in the most recent game from the series. Or at least that was the trend I noticed. Fox's voice in Brawl I believe was the Assault voice actor, though it hardly sounded like him. So I'm hoping Mike West will be used in Smash 4. Falco? I'm not so sure his Star Fox 64 voice would work. At least not the one from the 3DS remake. We'll see what they do.
You were right. Though, I wish they stuck with Jim Walker. I loved Assault/Brawl Fox.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I agree. I really disliked him in Assault but the tone he used in Brawl really fit.
Better performance I guess. I only disliked the weird voice filtering they used at parts like the briefings in Assault.
I also really liked Slippy's VA for Assault/Brawl. It was perfect imo.

Edit: Strange how the japanese voice for Fox broke the trend in this smash

Last edited:

A_Y

Smash Rookie
NNID
ant-3d
3DS FC
0963-2027-2441
Cant let you do star f-wolf!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'll be honest. Kind of hope somehow we get sound options in an update that allow for the Brawl voices. The actors are already credited for being in Lylat's smash taunt cameo and they should have all those old sound files from Brawl. Heck I know if someone modded the Wii U they could toss in the brstm files from Brawl into Smash 4. It wasn't that hard moving brstm's around in Brawl at least. There's way harder things to do. Point is, if some random dude can change these files in Brawl then the dev team in charge of Smash 4 can toss in an option to toggle some voice options on and off. It's not like there's no precedent for it either. Think Melee was the one with language options. Probably too much to ask and never gonna happen though. It pretty much only concerns Star Fox for me anyways... although I hear people complain about Kirby's changed voice and Mario's some I guess... but I don't really notice a difference except for the "hiiiii" taunt.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Mario is different in Japanese?

I honestly don't see the issue with Fox. The only issue is him saying FIRE is too loud. If it was just a bit quieter it'd be perfect. Though I still don't see why Mike West didn't just speak like he does in Star Fox 64 3D. He sounded great in that. I'm guessing a sound director or someone asked him to sound different? And Falco not having an accent is a weird choice but it's not a deal breaker. Though again strange since he at least had a hint of an accent in SF643D.

Better performance I guess. I only disliked the weird voice filtering they used at parts like the briefings in Assault.
I also really liked Slippy's VA for Assault/Brawl. It was perfect imo.

Edit: Strange how the japanese voice for Fox broke the trend in this smash
It's not so much his performance, though that is GREATLY improved. He was a robot in Assault. It's more that he pitched his voice up a bit. Was probably done to fit the more cartoony design but that voice would have worked better even with the creepy Assault design imo.
I agree. Assault Slippy is probably the best, though nostalgia dictates that 64's voice actor is ACTUALLY the best.

VERY strange! Looks like Falco also had a different actor than the most recent game.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I think the reason Mike West sounds bad in this game but good in 64 and why Jim Walker sounded bad in Assault but good in Brawl are the same... the Smash team had them raise pitch and emotiveness so that the character sounded like they were making battle cries and not just talking. For Mike, he already has a high pitch and plenty of emotiveness in his portrayal of Fox, so increasing that effect in his voice acting just over did it. Jim on the other hand sounded great since his default sound was so flat already that the increase in emotiveness and pitch made his Fox sound more interesting but still "normal" and not too squeaky/silly.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'll be honest. Kind of hope somehow we get sound options in an update that allow for the Brawl voices. The actors are already credited for being in Lylat's smash taunt cameo and they should have all those old sound files from Brawl. Heck I know if someone modded the Wii U they could toss in the brstm files from Brawl into Smash 4. It wasn't that hard moving brstm's around in Brawl at least. There's way harder things to do. Point is, if some random dude can change these files in Brawl then the dev team in charge of Smash 4 can toss in an option to toggle some voice options on and off. It's not like there's no precedent for it either. Think Melee was the one with language options. Probably too much to ask and never gonna happen though. It pretty much only concerns Star Fox for me anyways... although I hear people complain about Kirby's changed voice and Mario's some I guess... but I don't really notice a difference except for the "hiiiii" taunt.
The character sounds were sawnd files not brstm, but I see what you mean and I agree.
I do love Mike West's performance when Fox gets Star KOed.
I think the reason Mike West sounds bad in this game but good in 64 and why Jim Walker sounded bad in Assault but good in Brawl are the same... the Smash team had them raise pitch and emotiveness so that the character sounded like they were making battle cries and not just talking. For Mike, he already has a high pitch and plenty of emotiveness in his portrayal of Fox, so increasing that effect in his voice acting just over did it. Jim on the other hand sounded great since his default sound was so flat already that the increase in emotiveness and pitch made his Fox sound more interesting but still "normal" and not too squeaky/silly.
That's a pretty good theory.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
A mod. I have no attachment to Mike West, but man I love his screams for Fox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom