• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Stalling is balling!" - A gen V team

ss118

Smash Master
Hello! I'm here to just say that stall is not dead, and I'm here to prove it with this RMT. Remember you see the opposing player's team before picking pokemon, so who I start with is based on what I see on my opponent's side.

Blissey @ Shed Shell
Natural Cure: Bold
152 HP, 252 Defense, 104 Sp. Defense
Seismic Toss
Wish
Protect
Toxic
Still the premiere special wall. Seismic Toss for solid damage at all times, Wish+Protect is better than ever now that I pass 300+ HP wishes, and with the free turns I get with this I can easily wall things + pass toxic around. Shed Shell so I don't instantly lose to a ghost-candle that shows up.

Nattorei @ Shed Shell
Sticky Barbs: Sassy
252 HP, 52 Defense, 204 Sp. Defense
0 Speed IV
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Spikes
Leech Seed
Steel/ Grass type is my favorite pokemon this generation, and will probably be seen on most(if not all) of my teams. Spikes + Leech Seed cover for residual damage + lack of leftovers, which is for Magnezone and the ghost+fire type. Has dual STAB, which is so much better on this that forretress.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate: Impish
252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 Sp. Defense
Waterfall
Rest
Sleep Talk
Dragon Tail
Now that we have our residual damage, here is phazer #1 to throw everything out of proportion. Dragon Tail > Roar to help with taunt users and to abuse the higher attack stat than on my other phazer.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Damp: Relaxed
252 HP, 216 Defense, 40 Sp. Defense
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Roar
Phazer #2. Also checks the majority of my dragons, and is no longer explosion bait because of damp. So now I don't feel bad dropping Protect for Stealth Rock..

Starmie @ Light Clay
Natural Cure: Bold
252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense
Boiling Water
Reflect
Recover
Rapid Spin
Rapid Spinner: I can see the new water/ ghost type coming infinitely into me, but really can't get past Blissey, who gets easy Wishes + Toxics off of it. It also gets worn down by residual damage, unlike my spin blocker. Reflect on this just works amazingly with Blissey, as well as Nattorei.

Misdreavus @ Pre-evolution Stone
Levitate: Bold
252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense
Shadow Ball
Rest
Sleep Talk
Will-o-Wisp
With the new item, this guy goes up from have a terrible 240 Defense to 360: quite a huge jump. The reason I use this is because I don't want my spin-blocker to get worn down by residual damage, and this is much bulkier than Rotom.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Gyro Ball seems like a really bad move overall. I'd suggest making it Payback instead.

One thing I don't see you having considered is weather control, which, though overhyped, is probably going to be a big deal for a little whit in this metagame. For this reason, I would reccommend replacing Swampert with either SpD TTar or SpD Hippowdon, the latter probably being better. Don't worry about Explosion bait, if you predict correctly it shouldn't be a problem.

As for Misdreavus (savage tech btw), I'm going to take a page from Kevin Garrett Stall and say to just run TBolt (or another attacking move) instead of WoW. It'll probably prove better in the long run.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Misdreavus is completely inferior to Dusclops.

What do you do against Espeon? Suppose something like:

Espeon @ Life Orb
Modest / Magic Mirror
Psychic / Psycho Shock / Signal Beam or Shadow Ball / filler

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, technically Misdreavus is faster than Dusclops, but for the purposes of stall I'd agree that Dusclops would be better.

Can't Nattorei wall Espeon? It resists everything except for a non-STAB'd Signal Beam, and can probably hit back pretty hard with Gyro Ball/Payback.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I hear HP Fire is pretty common on Espeon.

What's funny about this team is that it...gets completely ***** by a RMT that I'm about to post...I'll give this a rate later. lawl.

ss118

Smash Master
I want to keep WoW on my ghost because I really hate the pursuit weakness, and it covers it to a degree.

I use Misdreavus over Dusclops for Levitate. Depending on Duskull's defenses I may use that! I'll take a look and get back to ya'll.

Payback over Gyro Ball seems fine, but I'm curious what you hit besides Espeon harder.

I actually thought about weather to where I can honestly say that a combination of Blissey+Nattorei handles rain teams, while sun teams are handled by Blissey+Gyarados. Hippowdon seems like an interesting tech with consistent recovery, so I'll try it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Payback does a good chunk to Shaderaa, too. And I guess that Water / Ghost, too.

ss118

Smash Master
The Water+Ghost is hit by power whip, and Shaderaa is the reason I use Shed Shell(Gyarados generally handles it, Swampert can as well, and finally we have starmie).

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If you're really that worried about Pursuit (and you have Resttalk on an extremely bulky pokemon so I don't know why you are) then run SubPain Misdreavus instead. Will-O-Wisp is kind of useless after you've landed it once, so having something super effective against the Pursuit user will be just as good. Shadow Ball/HP Fighting has superb coverage and hits every common Pursuit user except Scizor and Metagross for super-effective damage. BoltBall is good too but you get screwed over by the dark/ground alligator.

Levitate is actually a really big deal on stall teams since stall dittos are often decided by who can avoid the most entry hazards. At the same time though, this guy has Resttalk so unless the opponent has a Taunter it's not too much of a concern, but the immunity to Earthquake is always useful. The extra speed Misdreavus gets is also nice, base 85 isn't bad at all for a wall. Pressure is also useful in Stall battles though, so damage calcs will probably be the deciding factor in Misdreavus vs Dusclops. Keep in mind also that Duskull only gets a 30% boost to defenses (giving him stats of 40/169/169) while Misdreavus gets a 50% boost (giving her stats of 60/90/128).

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Burunkuru (water ghost) is a better choice than Misdreavus. Not only does he boast superior defenses, he also has access to recover. I am aware of the Pre-evolution stone, but the lack of leftovers really hurts your defense ability. He also has GREAT synergy with Nattorei and collectively they resist 15/17 types.

Also your team is horrendously weak to Breloom. He switches into Blissey / Swampert /Nattorei spores and sets up a sub (or if it's technician breloom he starts firing off those 56 BP Bullet seed). Gyarados is your only *check* but even he succumbs with Stone edge / Bullet seed and SR.

I hate to be prick but this isn't a good gen 5 stall team. You crumble to pretty much every high powered threat. Terakion 6-0's if he sets up an RP. Doryuuzu crushes this team etc.

ss118

Smash Master
The reason I don't use the water/ ghost is because of the lack of Levitate, which with the current metagame being so Spikes-infested is a HUGE deal.

Breloom is also a big problem to most stall teams unless you run Celebi or something, but whatever.

Terakion has to work past Swampert and Starmie while Misdreavus can WoW him if he trys to set up on that, Nattorei can Power Whip or Gyro Ball it, and Gyarados can potentiall Intimidate it.

The Doryuuzu weak is a problem, when I actually try this team I'll work on stuff.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
A team with multiple sleep talkers is inherently not weak to Breloom. Stone Edge is seen on >20% of all Breloom (even though it should be seen on 100% of all Breloom but whatever).

Burungel is a better pokemon defensively (and overall) than Misdreavus but if he added it in then half of his team would be weak to electric and he'd probably need to adjust some things.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
The reason I don't use the water/ ghost is because of the lack of Levitate, which with the current metagame being so Spikes-infested is a HUGE deal.
Does it really matter? Misdreavus is mediocre while Burunkuru is actually good. He can counter /check some of gen 5's biggest threat's (Blaziken, Doryuuzu etc) and isn't reliant on a crutch. (The stone)

If the lack of levitate bothers you so much add tertiary Levitate user.

Breloom is also a big problem to most stall teams unless you run Celebi or something, but whatever.
I will admit that Breloom is tricky to handle, but a sacking a pokemon for sleep and switching into the numerous defensive pokemon that can force him out (Zapdos, Celebi, Skarmory etc)
Try to fit them into your team.

Terakion has to work past Swampert and Starmie while Misdreavus can WoW him if he trys to set up on that, Nattorei can Power Whip or Gyro Ball it, and Gyarados can potentiall Intimidate it.
He sets up on Blissey and Nattorei (by switching into a move that doesn't utterly cripple him) and starts crushing your team. Swampert is your only defenses to it, but even then swampert is 2HKOed by LO Close Combat. You really think he needs to set up when any of his moves can kill your team?

The Doryuuzu weak is a problem, when I actually try this team I'll work on stuff.
Theorymoning before playing is a horrible idea. Don't make a RMT before actually playing it.

A team with multiple sleep talkers is inherently not weak to Breloom. Stone Edge is seen on >20% of all Breloom (even though it should be seen on 100% of all Breloom but whatever).
Incorrect. There are several ways of checking Breloom and I have outlined them above.

Burungel is a better pokemon defensively (and overall) than Misdreavus but if he added it in then half of his team would be weak to electric and he'd probably need to adjust some things.
Misdreavus is a bad defensive pokemon. Your moveset isn't threatning ANYTHING. Your bait for Scarf ttar 99%, and your utterly walled by... pretty much anything because mono-ghost is horrible. Meanwhile, Burunku has FANTASTIC synergy with Nattorei, he can actually counter things, has access to boiling water and isn't setup fodder.

doesn't help his electric weakness. And I thought you used Blissey to deal with them? Doesn't matter either way because Nasty Plot Borutorusu can OHKO Blissey with hazards and will 6-0 your entire team.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Blarg I forget SR on Swampert is illegal with Damp. =/

Put SR on Blissey and "Boil Over" on swampert
Why are you ruining your Blissey for Damp? Explosion received a rather large Nerf is isn't seeing nearly as much use in gen 5. (it no longer halves defense) You can't remove ANY of those from Blissey, as it does it's job significantly worse without them. As for Boil Over... same deal. You need those moves to do your job well. Keep SR on Swampert and stick with Torrent.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Why are you ruining your Blissey for Damp? Explosion received a rather large Nerf is isn't seeing nearly as much use in gen 5. (it no longer halves defense) You can't remove ANY of those from Blissey, as it does it's job significantly worse without them. As for Boil Over... same deal. You need those moves to do your job well. Keep SR on Swampert and stick with Torrent.
I agree with this completely. Stealth Rock is one of the least useful things you could possibly have on Blissey. You could run Growl on Blissey and it would be more useful for stalling than Stealth Rock (no seriously, -1 CB Scizor will never OHKO Blissey with Superpower). I guess if Blissey isn't part of your stall core you could put Stealth Rock on it, but in your case you can't afford that luxury.

If the lack of levitate bothers you so much add tertiary Levitate user.
Poison Heal Sub Gliscor seems like it could be good for his team actually since it adds ground and electric immunity without Swampert's overall mediocrity.

I will admit that Breloom is tricky to handle, but a sacking a pokemon for sleep and switching into the numerous defensive pokemon that can force him out (Zapdos, Celebi, Skarmory etc)
Try to fit them into your team.
[...]
Incorrect. There are several ways of checking Breloom and I have outlined them above.
You may be right about Technician Breloom. I'm still in the Gen IV mindset of thinking of Breloom as a Toxic Orb Substitute abuser, so I don't know about Choice Technician Breloom. I assume they're broken as all hell though.

For the Classic Breloom, however, Resttalk Gyarados is a fantastic solution. Sleep Talk nets you either a phazing move or Waterfall, which will probably break a sub even after resistances (of course there's also a 1/3 chance of getting rest and being totally useless). -1 Breloom really can't do anything to Gyarados unless it has Stone Edge, and even that only does 40% damage at -1 (unless it crits of course).

Misdreavus is a bad defensive pokemon. Your moveset isn't threatning ANYTHING. Your bait for Scarf ttar 99%, and your utterly walled by... pretty much anything because mono-ghost is horrible. Meanwhile, Burunku has FANTASTIC synergy with Nattorei, he can actually counter things, has access to boiling water and isn't setup fodder.
Yeah, ultimately this is true.

when I actually try this team I'll work on stuff.
WAIT WHAT.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Poison Heal Sub Gliscor seems like it could be good for his team actually since it adds ground and electric immunity without Swampert's overall mediocrity.
Yeah, Poison Heal Gliscor sounds good on paper but not only does it lose it's Roost, it also loses the ability to H4x out it's foes with Sand Veil. I personally don't like it.

You may be right about Technician Breloom. I'm still in the Gen IV mindset of thinking of Breloom as a Toxic Orb Substitute abuser, so I don't know about Choice Technician Breloom. I assume they're broken as all hell though.
Dude... it's glorious. By far the best breloom set he could run. And Choice Technician Breloom is bad. (You basically are setup fodder for Shanderra) LO Technician is really good though.

Top Bottom