• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stall Team help!

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
First off, that Exclamation Point "!" in the title was totally unintentional.

Second, I'm sorry for any typos, grammer errors, or run-on's that I haven't fixed.

----

Moving on...

So, I decided to try and build a stall team. I figured since all stall teams win by inflicting residual damage, and since the majority of top players use either rain or sand:

That I might as well try to build a Sandstorm Stall.

Basically I did what I always do. I tried to think up some sort of purpose to the team, then picked a group of pokemon that worked well together to fullfill that purpose. (In this case staying alive for as long as possible, and being annoying as H***)

I went on the Pokemon Marriland team building site, and made sure that the team didn't have any glaring weaknesses,and it didn't. In the end, I wound up with this group of Poke's

Edit: I decided to test out a lot of the changes you guys were proposing on Pokemon Showdown for a few hours and see how they worked out.

90% of them were beneficial, but I ended up having to make some other modifications to deal with certain other problems. The changes are listed below.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Added For Reasons listed by Ice Arrow

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 76 Spd / 252 HP / 180 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

Added For Reasons listed by Ice Arrow

My original plan with gliscor was to go with the typical set of Taunt, Substitute, Protect, and Earthquake to maximize stalling potential. But then I ran into an odd problem. I was getting wrecked by Garchomp and other Gliscor's carrying this set. As a solution, I changed his set to the swords dance variant so that Gliscor can act as a check to these two.
Also, 8 EV's were taken out of Def and added into Speed in order to allow me to reliably outspeed those other Gliscor.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 44 SDef / 220 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Torment
- Substitute
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Aside from being one of my favorite stall options, I chose Tormentran because he's just so good at stalling for time. With Toxic Spikes out, he can be a pretty potent threat to a team that isn't equipped to handle him.

As an added bonus, he has Flash Fire which helps cover the Fire weaknesses in both Skarmory and Jirachi.

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam

While not really a Sand Poke, Tentacruel does a good job of both laying and getting Rid of Toxic Spikes. Another benifit to having him (that I didn't find out until later) is that he maxes a surprisingly good Anti-rain poke. With Rain Dish, and a much helpful Water-Type resistance, he really comes in handy when dealing with the likes of Jelicent, Vaporeon, and Politoed.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Sp.D / 4 HP
Hardy Nature
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Also not exactly a sand pokemon. But my team was in need of a nice sturdy Special Wall, and I could think of nobody better for the job than Blissey. Her main purpose is to act as a special check while keeping the team healthy, and spreading around Toxic to levitators and flyers like Zapdos and Latios.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp.D
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Protect
-Gyro Ball

It was my original plan to run Garchomp in this slot since my team needed a good revenge killer. But, after a bit of testing, I found out that Garchomp wasn't a very good fit. The problem with him was that having him on my team left me badly exposed to the likes of Mamoswine and Cloyster. Mamoswine was problematic due to it carrying Focus Sash and Ice Shard, and Cloyster was a problem because Garchomp wasn't able to reliably check the variants running Shell Smash. (At this point Cloyster would then proceed to sweep my entire team).

As a result, I decided to run Ferrothorn since he helps me deal with both mamoswine and Cloyster. On top of that, he's also good for countering certain rain pokes that otherwise might give me trouble.

Thanks a lot everyone for your inputs so far.

After running this team for a while, I haven't encountered any major problems. Mamoswine is still a bit of an issue due to Super Power, but thankfully I have Tentacrel and Gliscor as good switch in's to it on predict. It's a little tricky since they both have to worry about Ice Shard and EarthQuake respectively, but it's much better than before.

Also, I haven't actually fought any Keldeo's yet, but I'd imagine he still might be a bit of an issue for this team. I'm considering exchanging Ferrothorn for Celebi to fix this, but then I run into the problem of 3 of my pokemon getting hurt by Sandstorm, which is pretty nasty.

I'm sure there are other problems this team might have (e.g. Ferrothorn not fitting his role as well as some other pokemon might), but I can't think of any at the moment.

Again, thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

Okay wierd... apparently the site is glitching, because I checked beneath Skarmory's image and theres no seperate Collapse tag listed...
[COLLAPSE="Replaced Pokemon"]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Body Slam (Considering replacing with Thunder Wave)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 6 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
[/COLLAPSE]

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
No spin blocker.

Jirachi doesn't really fit your team very well, I'd replace it with like anything. Ditto to kill everything, Scarf Genesect because OP, Scizor for gay priority, Celebi/Rotom-W because rain teams, Gliscor because **** that guy, etc.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I would take out Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Jirachi. I would add Tyranitar, Gliscor, and Celebi. Gliscor is the best reason sandstall teams work. Celebi is great for covering water and fighting type attacks and has leech seed. Tyranitar is better in my opinion because if you are using Gliscor then you dont need another physical wall. Tyranitar is also a great special wall and can run Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Stone Edge, and Fire Blast.

:phone:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Jirachi's reliance on paralysis conflicts with Tentacruel's main goal of setting up Toxic Spikes. I'd cut him for Gliscor as Wave and IceArrow both suggested, but Latias or Rotom-W could work well too. Even Scarf Landorus-T might work since you desperately need a revenge killer. You should also use Protect over Softboiled on Blissey since it's so physically frail. You also haven't put an EV spread on it.

No spin blocker.
There are no good spinblockers in the format for stall teams. What is he going to use, Gengar?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Jellicent is, but it conflicts with Tentacruel :/

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I thought Jellicent was super terrible now that TTar and Thunder users are everywhere.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Thanks everyone for the input so far.

I ended up replacing Hippowdon and Skarmory with Tyranitar and Gliscor as Ultimario suggested.

How might Golurk work as a spinblocker?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I actually had Jellicent listed, but I edited it out because Tentacruel. You could fit it in, but you'd need to rework quite a bunch of stuff.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Yeah, I was thinking Jelicent as well, but then I'd miss out on Toxic Spikes support.

Edit: Reworked the team, and heres what I have so far:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 76 Spd / 252 HP / 180 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Protect
- Substitute

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 44 SDef / 220 Spd
Calm Nature
- Torment
- Substitute
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 6 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Ended up adding Tyranitar and Gliscor for reasons listed by Ultimario.
Also added in Garchomp because he works very well as a revenge killer.

(I also just now found out he was unbanned)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I thought only Rough Skin Garchomp was unbanned?

Also, put your changes in the OP.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Why'd you switch Tentacruel's ability to Clear Body? Keep using Rain Dish.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
spin blocking sucks this gen, there's literally only gengar and jellicent, neither of which are truly too good

genesect is good, until you meet up with volcarona (seriously, volc is one step below a surefire counter)

idk, i feel tormentran isn't good this gen, i tried using it and it just doesn't work as well as it did in 4th gen

get rid of toxic spikes on tentacruel, toxic or even sludge bomb/giga drain provide way more to the team than toxic spikes do, especially when you want to burn a few guys with heatran, toxic spikes are way too easy to play around and actually will hurt your team more often than not (especially with the lack of good spin blockers), give it rain dish as well, clear body is useless (as the only thing you'd have to worry about is intimidate, which is non-existent and doesn't affect tentacruel at all), liquid ooze is okay but rain dish makes him a monster against rain teams

give fire fang to garchomp, it's a good coverage move and actually deals more damage to both skarmory and bronzong than fire blast does (i saw the calcs on smogon somewhere and fire fang always outdamaged fire blast even when both guys were both max HP and max Def)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
ScarfChomp vs. 232 Def Skarm:
Fire Fang: 24.55 - 29.34%
Fire Blast: 51.49 - 61.07%

ScarfChomp vs. 232 SpDef Skarm:
Fire Fang: 32.33 - 38.32%
Fire Blast: 35.92 - 42.51%

ScarfChomp vs. max Def Bronzong:
Fire Fang: 27.21 - 32.54%
Fire Blast: 33.72 - 40.23%

ScarfChomp vs. max SpDef Bronzong:
Fire Fang: 37.27 - 44.37%
Fire Blast: 24.85 - 29.58%

ScarfChomp vs. 160 Def / 96 SpD +Def nature "Trick Room Support" Bronzong:
Fire Fang: 29.58 - 34.91%
Fire Blast: 30.76 - 36.68%

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Physically defensive variants are all Impish, specially defensive ones Careful.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No, I was talking about for Garchomp. Is it Jolly or Naive?

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Sorry if it looked like I had suddenly left.
I was testing some of the changes you guys were proposing.

Made a few changes to the OP :)

:006:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well I would assume that Naive would be to boost the power of Fire Blast...

The fact that it does that much more damage even with a -SpA nature pretty much seals its superiority though.

Oh, and use Dual Chop over Dragon Claw. Breaks subs.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
well...i was proven wrong, must've been the sword dance set with a +2 boost then, i stand corrected

Top Bottom