• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stages you hate in Sm4sh

ViridianViridi

Smash Cadet
NNID
UseFieryDance
3DS FC
2277-6687-2973
Pac-Land, though the music makes up for how annoying it is. Somewhat.

I really, really, REALLY DESPISE Woolly World. Until I saw more footage, I was completely repelled from the game JUST because of that stage.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Flat Zone X because there are only 4 music tracks and 2 of them are just a bunch of beeping noises.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Palutena's Temple. The platform layout is erratic and badly spaced and there are walls everywhere, making it a pain to navigate with slower characters or characters with poor jump height.

Great Cave Offensive. The camera doesn't zoom out to show you when a mine cart is about to start moving on its own, so they can easily launch you into the Danger Zones and kill you. Also, exploding treasure chests.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am probably throwing in some returning stages here.

Skyworld: The bounciness of this stage and the odd ways to wind up dead are fun in moderation but online for fun really likes putting me here...

Wileys Castle/Pyrosphere/.Ghar Plain (2-4player version): Boss fights never felt right to me in smash... and this whole last hit gets a reward system is terrible. And again, online for fun puts me here to often.

Pac Land: It's a bit to hard to fight funly and run this screwed up obstacle course at the same time.

Garden of Nope: I'm not sure why I don't like this one...

Each of these levels has appeal... but being forced to play them just sucks. The online for fun level rotation is seeming sewed toward this ... ? During my classic runs I am looking for custom parts and again find these as the only options... If I only played these when friends and I chose to they would have appeal... but to often it is pushed on me when it isn't favorable and/or isn't the style of smash I am looking to play. So much could be fixed by A. Adding more chances for custom parts to classic B. Letting players/teams alternate who chooses level in online for fun mode.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Any stage with hazards/terrain that winds up screwing me over in All-Star or Crazy Orders.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Any stage with hazards/terrain that winds up screwing me over in All-Star or Crazy Orders.
Yes... All Star mode should give the player a choice of which opponent's home stage is fought on. I haven't played it much in 4, but I always hated in Brawl thinking the biggest determining factors of if I succeed are not are drawing Delphino/Mushroomy kingdom instead of Luigi's mansion, and Pokemon Stadium instead of Spear Piller.

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
Palutena's Temple. It feels like a custom Brawl stage.
Pac-Land is, sure, horrible because it's a scrolling stage, but good luck for even KO-ing someone in Palutena's Temple.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Yes... All Star mode should give the player a choice of which opponent's home stage is fought on. I haven't played it much in 4, but I always hated in Brawl thinking the biggest determining factors of if I succeed are not are drawing Delphino/Mushroomy kingdom instead of Luigi's mansion, and Pokemon Stadium instead of Spear Piller.
Honestly, I got to the point where I was more able to make the transition to Palkia's reflected/flipped screen than the transition back to normal. I'd adjust really, really easily when the interface screw happened, then take five seconds to get my bearings again when it went back to normal.

And Spear Pillar was the setting of one of the best replays I ever got in Brawl. I'm Captain Falcon, my friend is playing as Link. Dialga activates his time slow (the really intense one), and the Smash Ball appears. I fumble around and somehow manage to grab it. Then, I'm standing right in front of Link, just outside his Forward Smash range. He fires an uncharged arrow. I activate the Final Smash, and the arrow passes right through my foot as the Final Smash intangibility protects me. Then, Captain Falcon's Final Smash happens, the whole thing in super slow-motion with motion blur on everything. It's glorious. Especially the part where Link gets hit and goes spinning away into the air as the Blue Falcon slowly blurs past. And then Link slowly flies offscreen and, five seconds after he's entirely off-screen and should totally have hit the blast line by now, is KO'd with the blast effect playing out in slow motion.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
Probably Wily's Castle. It'd be fine, in fact, really fun with the moving platforms (both in the WiiU and 3DS). But the Yellow Devil is WAY more intrusive that the other bosses in the game. And even then, Ridley and Metal Face don't reappear so quickly.

villaqer

Smash Rookie
NNID
karkltty
3DS FC
2724-1496-3571
pyrosphere
wily castle
pac-land
great cave offensive
75m

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I got to the point where I was more able to make the transition to Palkia's reflected/flipped screen than the transition back to normal. I'd adjust really, really easily when the interface screw happened, then take five seconds to get my bearings again when it went back to normal.

And Spear Pillar was the setting of one of the best replays I ever got in Brawl. I'm Captain Falcon, my friend is playing as Link. Dialga activates his time slow (the really intense one), and the Smash Ball appears. I fumble around and somehow manage to grab it. Then, I'm standing right in front of Link, just outside his Forward Smash range. He fires an uncharged arrow. I activate the Final Smash, and the arrow passes right through my foot as the Final Smash intangibility protects me. Then, Captain Falcon's Final Smash happens, the whole thing in super slow-motion with motion blur on everything. It's glorious. Especially the part where Link gets hit and goes spinning away into the air as the Blue Falcon slowly blurs past. And then Link slowly flies offscreen and, five seconds after he's entirely off-screen and should totally have hit the blast line by now, is KO'd with the blast effect playing out in slow motion.

There are quite a few good moments I have had on hazardous stages.

I often don't hate the stages themselves, just being forced to play them (All Star, Online) or given a worse choice (Classic: Play hazard filled stage or forfeit chance at custom move.)

If those stages were exclusively reserved for multiplayer chaos fun time then I'd love em.

Khao

Smash Lord
Also, I freaking hate Flatzone X because of the fact they made a compilation of both Flatzones but not one of the Pokémon Stadiums.

Like, why.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
If we're counting custom stages, the winner hands down goes to the "tim destroyer". A stage made by my friend for the sole purpose of destroying me and anyone who bears my name.
If not, then Palutena's Temple. Nuff said.
Honerable mentions goes to Skyworld and 75m. Luck is not by my side in those stages :(

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
I can't stand Flat Zone X because even though it has a different name from the previous Flat Zones, it's just Flat Zone and Flat Zone 2 combined. There should have been at least one new mini-game type area included.
Also, wish that Kalos Pokémon League wasn't just another transforming Pokémon stadium kind of stage. Pokémon has so many diverse and unique locations but it seems like there has to be a transforming Pokémon stage quota to meet every game. The stage itself looks great though.
And even though I only played the demo, the Paper Mario Stage on the 3DS looks like absolutely terrible if only for the Bowser's Castle segment.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Also, I freaking hate Flatzone X because of the fact they made a compilation of both Flatzones but not one of the Pokémon Stadiums.

Like, why.
We need a Pokémon Stadium with 18 forms. The default layout can be Normal, and then each of the other 17 types gets a form!

Flying, Ice, Ground, Electric, Rock, Fire, Grass, and Water are already taken care of. (That said, I'd change the Water form to include a deeper water basin on the far right side so that it's actually swimmable, and place a platform or several above it. Also, change the physics so that metal characters actually sink through water almost as if it's Melee water, but with a reduction in gravitational acceleration and max falling speed while underwater.) That leaves Bug, Fighting, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel, and Fairy. I don't think 9 more forms would be too difficult.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Duck Hunt.

I love it as a stage, but ye gods, I get bodied every time I go there.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
You know a stage is badly designed when you don't have fun on it when playing casuals and random.

Pac land is a good example.

I can't think of anything to redeem that stage.

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
I can't think of anything to redeem that stage.
You sure?

And not to mention the flock of Mute City ripoffs.
Mario Circuit
Skyloft
Delfino Island
Port Areo Town Thingyding
Wuhu Island

Good god.

Last edited:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
Pac-Land is by far the worst stage.

Wily's Castle would've been fine if Yellow Devil wasn't so frequent. If it dies once, it should be gone for good.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
My least favorite stage is Wily Castle, because it would probably be my favorite stage ever if it weren't for the Yellow Devil.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Surprised so many dislike Gamer. I find the Mother to not be too intrusive and actually an lot of fun to knock opponents into. Plus its got a weird ambience to it.

Don't like Garden of Hope, GCO, Palutenas, Flat Zone X, Spirit Train, golden plains

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Miiverse. It's another Battlefield, and a lot of people use it to hate on my mains. No, a "Dedede sucks!" Miiverse post isn't funny or witty, it just makes me feel bad when I'm just trying to enjoy the game.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
Pac-Land. Pac-Land is dumb. It has an ugly and dated artstyle, is a moving stage with small blastzones, AND has stupid Water hydrants that are barely noticeable due tot he awful artstyle. Worst stage of all time, would rather play 99 stocks on Rumble Falls than Pac Land

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
Palutena's goddamn Temple. Not only is its layout a nightmare, but it's also the only stage that any of my friends pick when we play 8-player.

Runner up goes to Flat Zone X for having the same FD as Flat Zone 2 on 3DS instead of a new FD based on Flat Zone 1.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Wily's Castle and Pyrosphere - great in Omega form, but in normal mode the bosses ruin everything.

Boss fights IMO were a major miss in smash...a nd an even bigger one in this game.

Pyrosphere would be fun with a Hazards off option...

I might eventurally try to replicate it in custom... but im terrible with that system and will probably give up in frustration.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I get that Great Cave Offensive is made for Eight Player Smash and all, but I've played with that many people and the place still just feels way too big. Garden of Hope is absolutely awful too, so many things in the way, intrusions from enemies in the background and it's just so badly designed overall.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Wily Castle is my least favorite stage of all time. I lose a year in my life every time it appears in All Star.

Some stages would be AMAZING if not for hazards (Pyrosphere, Magicant, and even Wily Castle).

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
3DS:
  • Balloon Fight: Balloon Fight is one of those stages. It's not bad, just confusing. The ability to walk across the edge of the stage is mindbending enough, but if someone were to just jab you at the screen edge, you're dead, my friend. It's really more annoying than it sounds. Whenever I pick up my 3DS, I make sure to turn this stage on Omega Mode.
  • Magicant: Some of the best visuals in the game. I love how the background looks, and the color of the platforms, and... Beautiful. The only issue is... that damn Flying Man. If you touch him, he joins your side and fights your enemy. This kills any competitive value and makes the battle a battle of luck as to who gets to him first, whether he spawns close to you or not. A brilliant idea, ruined by unbloackable gimmicks.

Wii U:
  • 75m: We all know why we hate this stage. Why couldn't we get Frigate Orpheon instead? Moving on.
  • Jungle Hijinxs: Constantly switching from background to foreground and back again isn't fun. It's more annoying, as most of the time, you'll be chasing the guy who did it in the first place. Again, it's okay, but just very tedious.
  • Pac-Land: Words canot describe this stage. The autoscrolling constantly creates this pressure that even a slight messup can end your run. And with the fire hydrants, tight jumps, and logs, this is not the best of moods. Pac-Maze was a million miles better than this death run, so why not bring it here like Wily Castly (I'll get to that later)?
  • Palutena's Temple: "Wanna play on a temple?" "Yeah! Wait, this isn't Temple..." This stage is too big for its own merit. While I like the general look with the bridge, traversing it is so time consuming and annoying, espescially with Ganondorf or other clunky characters. God help you if you're fighting a Sonic, you'll never win.
  • Pyrosphere: The issue isn't the idea of the stage, Ridley fighting is fine, as long as it is toggable. The issue is, for some reason, it's not. And when that's the case and you find it on Classic or God forbid, Smash Tour, you'll be praying to Sakurai that all your body parts will still be attached by the end of the fight.
  • The Great Cave Offensive: Jesus, what a bore. In an attempt to make more "8 player stages", the developers decided to put in The Great Cave Offensive. All of it. You go down through tunnels, can ride minecarts, jump across pits, avoid spikes, and more. The issue is... This stage, like Palutena's Temple, is WAY TOO BIG. Even with 8 players, it takes forever to actually get the fight going! I'm not even sure if 10 players would make a difference! I'd much rather have the Fountain of Dreams than this train wreck.
  • Wrecking Crew: Again, a case of "meh" than frustration. Here, you knock down a building in Smash Bros., wait, why is this bad? Because it's done in a slow and requires you to get out of your way. It's fine, but... It could have been better.
  • Wily Castle: Yet another victim of untoggable bosses. The Yellow Devil kills this stage for reasons everyone on this board all know. Not much else to say.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I hate onett.... I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I hated it in melee, I hated it in brawl and I hate it now that it has been brought back YET AGAIN for smash 4. Please somone explain to me the allure of this over crowded, walk off, close blast line having, pedestrian running over, mess of a stage. I don't even know where on this stage you can have a proper fight!

Gattsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
despiarinducing
Wii U:
The Great Cave Offensive
Pac-Land
Wrecking Crew
3ds:
3d land
Dream Land
Balloon Fight

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
3DS:
  • Balloon Fight: Balloon Fight is one of those stages. It's not bad, just confusing. The ability to walk across the edge of the stage is mindbending enough, but if someone were to just jab you at the screen edge, you're dead, my friend. It's really more annoying than it sounds. Whenever I pick up my 3DS, I make sure to turn this stage on Omega Mode.
  • Magicant: Some of the best visuals in the game. I love how the background looks, and the color of the platforms, and... Beautiful. The only issue is... that damn Flying Man. If you touch him, he joins your side and fights your enemy. This kills any competitive value and makes the battle a battle of luck as to who gets to him first, whether he spawns close to you or not. A brilliant idea, ruined by unbloackable gimmicks.

Wii U:
  • 75m: We all know why we hate this stage. Why couldn't we get Frigate Orpheon instead? Moving on.
  • Jungle Hijinxs: Constantly switching from background to foreground and back again isn't fun. It's more annoying, as most of the time, you'll be chasing the guy who did it in the first place. Again, it's okay, but just very tedious.
  • Pac-Land: Words canot describe this stage. The autoscrolling constantly creates this pressure that even a slight messup can end your run. And with the fire hydrants, tight jumps, and logs, this is not the best of moods. Pac-Maze was a million miles better than this death run, so why not bring it here like Wily Castly (I'll get to that later)?
  • Palutena's Temple: "Wanna play on a temple?" "Yeah! Wait, this isn't Temple..." This stage is too big for its own merit. While I like the general look with the bridge, traversing it is so time consuming and annoying, espescially with Ganondorf or other clunky characters. God help you if you're fighting a Sonic, you'll never win.
  • Pyrosphere: The issue isn't the idea of the stage, Ridley fighting is fine, as long as it is toggable. The issue is, for some reason, it's not. And when that's the case and you find it on Classic or God forbid, Smash Tour, you'll be praying to Sakurai that all your body parts will still be attached by the end of the fight.
  • The Great Cave Offensive: Jesus, what a bore. In an attempt to make more "8 player stages", the developers decided to put in The Great Cave Offensive. All of it. You go down through tunnels, can ride minecarts, jump across pits, avoid spikes, and more. The issue is... This stage, like Palutena's Temple, is WAY TOO BIG. Even with 8 players, it takes forever to actually get the fight going! I'm not even sure if 10 players would make a difference! I'd much rather have the Fountain of Dreams than this train wreck.
  • Wrecking Crew: Again, a case of "meh" than frustration. Here, you knock down a building in Smash Bros., wait, why is this bad? Because it's done in a slow and requires you to get out of your way. It's fine, but... It could have been better.
  • Wily Castle: Yet another victim of untoggable bosses. The Yellow Devil kills this stage for reasons everyone on this board all know. Not much else to say.
Balloon Fight: This stage actually is bad, and here's why: The layout is less like solid ground on the edges with water and platforms in the middle, and more like having a main platform with a blast line straight down the middle, along with water and platforms at the edges. The platforms are too small to really fight on and the pseudo-random placement certainly doesn't help that, so all the fighting takes place on the ground either side of the "central" blast line.

Magicant: Flying Man always spawns in the exact same location, so you know exactly where you have to play King of the Hill with. I certainly think Flying Man could use a nerf so that he can't easily kill your foe all by himself, though. With Flying Man nerfed (not nonexistent, just nerfed) I think it could be a viable competitive stage.

Jungle Hijinx: Really not designed for a 1v1 environment. What makes the stage even less fun though is the cannons frequently leaving just as you try to get in them, or the massive stone murals that show up out of nowhere just in time to block you when you use a cannon. If they gave more warning before appearing, they might be able to be incorporated into a coherent gameplan, but instead they just show up out of nowhere to block you.

Pyrosphere: Ridley's attacks are relatively easy to avoid if you're smart about it, at least until he turns into Meta Ridley. Plus, there's plenty of stage around him to fight on even as you avoid his attacks.

Wily Castle: Far worse than Pyrosphere, simply because the Yellow Devil takes up the entire freakin' stage, and you can't keep fighting your foe while fighting him.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
Hate might be a strong word. I dislike playing on Pac Land because it's a scrolling stage. Great Cave Offensive is also a bit too big for a normal Smash battle. Everything else is passable.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Great cave... what's the point of that? it's like smash run, but as a stage layout. The only time I like that stage is Omega.
Pac-land because it moves too fast and it's stress inducing.
Wily Castle because of the Yellow Devil.
Yellow devil is evil.

Last edited:
Top Bottom