• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages and Pika-YOU!: In-depth stage analysis by ESAM

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Hey everybody! With my recent resurgence on the Pikachu boards I figured that I would create a thread about the different stages and how Pikachu is amazing on pretty much all of them. I will cover all of the tournament legal stages as well as describe differences between some Omegas that I prefer.

Let's start with the typical 3 neutrals

Battlefield:

Possibly Pikachu's best stage, definitely my overall favorite of the common legal ones. The ability to go anywhere on the stage with QA and be safe is absolutely ridiculous. You can cover so much ground and be really unpredictable with QAs and actually camp really really well. I typically don't camp because I'm a very very aggressive player, but in clutch moments I can definitely see myself running away for like a minute on the platforms. You can juggle your opponents on the platform really well and extend a lot of combos due to the ability to land with fairs that you ordinarily couldn't.

The only problem I have with this stage is that the side platforms interfere with thunder combo escapes. You can typically avoid the top platform messing with your uthrow thunders if you just DJ thunder since you will get high enough that your opponent cannot tech.

Matchups to avoid: I actually do NOT like fighting Mario here. I really enjoy the capability of the thunder interrupt out of u-tilts, or at least having it as a mindgame so that they might potentially stop their combo early. Sheik CAN be iffy due to the ability for her to U-smash your landings on platforms, but you shouldn never really be getting caught like that because you can QA anywhere you want on this stage. Yoshi can be annoying as well due to the difficult time pikachu has on the ground against him and the platforms can kinda stuff your air approaches a little bit . Not really BAN worthy vs any of those characters, but i would say this stage definitely doesn't benefit pikachu the same way vs them as it does against the rest of the cast.

Final Destination:

Also really really good for Pikachu. Pikachu is a master at punishing landings (Especially with customs on) while being able to escape a lot of situations with QA. It is inherently harder to punish Pikachu off of a ledge because QA opens up way more options than other characters have. WIth no escapes pikachu can really combo people and punish people for attempting to do ANYTHING. He can be punished as well, but again, they have to read something like 5 options instead of like...2. Very very good for Pikachu.

Matchups to avoid: Uh....???? I don't really dislike this stage vs any character. Pikachu can combo across the stage about as well as any other character, he can kill vertically, and...yeah it's just good. Really good. I like it less than BF but that's because I like QA too much LOL

Smashville:

This might be Pika's worst neutral, but that doesn't mean it is anything worse than an 8/10 for him. You can QAC on the platform which allows for a lot of cool tricks. It is similar to FD in the fact that you can punish a lot of landings, but the platform kinda ruins a lot of them. It CAN lead to silly fair strings off the side (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6uhuDjcDwA#t=4m2s)

Matchups to avoid: ROSALUMA is really good on this stage because the platform can save Luma. I hate that. Characters that you can really abuse their recovery like little mac/the marios/pretty much everyone lolol. I don't like Smashville that much, probably won't CP it very much.

And now for non neutrals

Lylat: Honestly this might be Pikachu's best stage. You can constantly QA on the slanted stage, you can get a lot of pressure on the platforms with uairs, you can QA away to platforms, and pikachu can stage spike people under the stage really easily with fair and bair. There are really no problems with this stage now that they fixed the stupid stage tilting random ledge thing, which is good. This stage messes up a lot of characters but it really doesn't affect pikachu out of...thunder jolt spacing? Hell, i actually like how you can wrap your jolts around platforms, it covers a lot of space.

Who not to play on this stage: Not sure who benefits from this stage more than Pikachu. Pikachu gains so much and I'm pretty sure it is at least neutral in whatever MU, or better for us.

Town and City: Pretty mediocre compared to a bunch of the other stages Pikachu has, but it isn't bad. A lot of the platforms you can QAC off but it kinda messes with pika's spacing and he can't really abuse them that well. IT messes up his combos generally but there is a chance it can extend your combos sometimes. I typically ban this stage as it just doesn't give pikachu what he wants and it only maybe gives you a 10% kill boost, which is negligible

Matchups to avoid: Anyone that relies on vertical killing, such as Rosaluma, megaman, ROB, Luigi

Castle Siege:

Honestly i LOVE THIS STAGE for Pikachu. The first transformation allows PIkachu to be really aggressive due to the lack of space, the second transformation you can literally run away forever on the top or threaten b-throw cheese kills, and then the 3rd transformation is FD which I already explained. Also, the walls on the first transformation allow you to go even more ham and do silly wall jump b-reverse thunders (Will make a silly video about these when I get back to Florida). Pikachu can also carry characters off the edge in the 2nd transformation so this is really beneficial for him. If you are every scared you just don't approach. SO so good

Matchups to avoid: I don't think there are really any bad MUs for Pikachu here. Sheik with customs can be irritating on the 2nd transformation, but that's not really a problem considering you essentially gain the same things she does throughout the stage.

Duck Hunt:

I personally don't like this stage due to the campier nature of plastyles on this stage, but it isn't bad for Pikachu at all. Most of the stage is FD like, and i already described that. THe walls allow you to get a lot of off-stage shenanigans. The tree on the right can allow you to get off the ledge a little easier, which is nice. Pikachu can typically control the pace well enough to not have to worry about the dog messing you up, so that should be fine. The ducks can actually extend thunder hitboxes which can hit air dodges way easier (Which i've done, ****'s godlike). The short sides can help you with fair strings and like U-throw thunder stuff, as well as F-smashes near the ledge. Pretty good overall, but I wouldn't CP it.

Matchups to avoid: I don't really know of any

Halberd:

Omg I love this stage, but it is probably one of Pikachu's worse Sharking is amazing as PIkachu cuz QA is dumb, the small slants can help you QAC, and on the non-sharking transformation T-jolts run up the walls which really helps you relieve pressure. However, pikachu doesn't really get a lot off of the platform and he doesn't rely enough on vertical kills to really gain a lot off of the ceiling. There are MANY characters better on this stage than him so i instaban it a lot. I would also never really CP here because pikachu has many stronger options IMO.

SO APPARENTLY ON THE MAIN PLATFORM (part with the hazards) PIKACHU CAN QAC ON THE FLOOR IF YOU ARE MOVING TO THE RIGHT.

Matchups to avoid this stage: ROB, Diddy, Anyone that kills reliably off the top.

Delfino:

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Sharking, platform manipulation, walkoffs, slants, everything I love in a stage! Pikachu can run around everywhere and also drag people off stage and camp and QA ****in EVERYTHING. Hell yeah. You can avoid pretty much any bad circumstance because of QA and pretty much play only when you want to.

Matchups to avoid: Anyone that can abuse water really really well that you can't run away from. IDK who that would be lolol. Maybe Rosaluma cuz of the ceiling changes.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
rofl so essentially:
"bad stages are "bad" because we cannot abuse them as much. **** those stages." -Esam

I envy your confidence in your relationship with QA canceling and platforms.
Other than just practice more, do you have any trick (mechanically or thought process) on getting better at QA platforming so consistently? Could you share about the moment backkk in the days when you had normal human reflexes but then suddenly this QA canceling "clicked"?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Uh....it kinda always clicked for me in this game so IDK @_@ The momentum you carry is pretty generous. IDK i just know my distance of QA and can visualize it really really well. Sorry I can't be more helpful ;-;

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Nah. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Just got to practice and know/visualize my distances with QA a lot better. Thanks!

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
For Delfino, I'd realistically recommend avoiding the stage almost entirely against characters with strong meteor smashes. DK, Falcon, Ganondorf, and more can ALL meteor smash Pikachu in the water repeatedly to KO Pikachu at very low percents or at least rack damage to [also the only real risk to sharking, although it's usually laughably easy to avoid and punish this]. Jigglypuff also instantly removes endlag and goes into water float from landing in the water if she rests or somehow gets gutsy and tries to do some sort of sing shenanigan.

Sure, Pikachu gets some advantages [sharking, bthrow KOs, etc.] but the blastzone changes and water risk early KOs on Pikachu that may only be reciprocated with bthrow kills that either rely on blatantly obvious baiting, just bad positioning from a string (improbable) or reads + pivot grabs [which are totally doable but not something to rely on since they're still somewhat telegraphed].

It's certainly not something worth banning if you like the stage, but I'd say it's maybe barely among Pikachu's top 5 stages [which is what really matters, due to DSR and stage striking being the relevant parts]. I'd say from your descriptions that BF, FD, Castle Siege, and Lylat are the obvious top 4 stages (not listed here in any order), and then we have to determine based on the MU if Smashville or Delfino (or maybe Halberd) is best for whatever MU one thinks they'll face. It would seem Duck Hunt and Town and City are the bans.

ESAM, could you perhaps be bothered to do a writeup on Kongo Jungle 64? It's local in my local area because... reasons... [I've suggested it be banned for circle camping reasons but that hasn't changed much since no one does it, except I do it somewhat sometimes] and it'd be appreciated. I personally like the stage [and think the high blastzones favor Pikachu since I feel more likely to get uthrow thunder, fsmash, and HSB KOs], but I don't know if it's bad for whatever reasons, and I'm curious if you'd choose it over any of BF, FD, Castle Siege, or Lylat.

If you can't, no worries, but at least thanks for reading this then!

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
On the ship part of Halberd, you can QAC off of the ground if you QA down-right. QAing straight down or down-left doesn't work for some reason.

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Delfino will always be one of pika's go to stages, so much QAC potential <3 hey esam i dont see alot of pika mains using QA enough, what is your opinion on that. i personally love the stage control it gives and i actually use it to travel cross stage more then anything else.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
QA is best non-custom move in the game by a significant margin lol

Prime do you mean just on the slants or like...on all of it?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
pika is going to turn in to the new s tier ;o too bad it takes a lot more skill to main him diddy lol

Thor

Smash Champion
QA is best non-custom move in the game by a significant margin lol

Prime do you mean just on the slants or like...on all of it?
Um... does this mean no Kongo Jungle write-up, or you just didn't read my full post [which would be understandable]?

Also, would you say next best non-custom is Diddy's Banana, Sheik's bouncing fish, or something else?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I"ve been busy today, i'll probably get to writing about Kongo within the next few days. Sorry ;-;

Uh 2nd best move might be ZSS down-b lol

Thor

Smash Champion
I"ve been busy today, i'll probably get to writing about Kongo within the next few days. Sorry ;-;

Uh 2nd best move might be ZSS down-b lol
LOL no worries, I thought you'd just ignored me, either from missing my post or somehow remembering me from awhile back and disliking me for n00biness or whatever.

Looking forward to the write-up on it, to see if my guess matches yours or if I'm way off-base.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
i just seen esams video link. that is now my favorite pika moment. lol poor wario oh and esam, why do you use x as special? just curious

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Great read and glad to have some insight on what stages are good for Pika. I always noticed he fairs well on Smashville, FD, Lylat, and Battlefield, and I also have a friend who mains Mario and he's a monster on Battlefield like I dunno he just has such good spacing and ability to take advantage on that stage. .-. Good to get some insight on the rest of the universally accepted stages. If Skyloft were to ever be legal (I feel it has a shot) how does Pika fair on that?

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
ESAM you're my hero thank you for this post :4pikachu:
I'm just getting into using Pikachu and this was really helpful !

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Kongo Jungle

Honestly this was my go-to Counterpick back when it was still legal in my region. From the ground you can QA to the top platforms and get a cancel (Remember, you can cancel on every slant). The downward slants on the ground really help you since Pikachu is already short and it makes Pikachu REALLY hard to hit for a lot of characters, especially if you are actually spacing with D-tilt or F_smash. Conversely, pikachu doesn't really care about getting down slants because T-jolt and also like FF landing fairs or bairs, Pikachu will slide down and make it hard to punish him. Pika gains an advantage of living for a long time but can still generally get kills fairly safely due to edgeguarding (Which he is the best at)

Pikachu can essentially just do anything he wants on this stage while other characters get messed up because of the platform height. Absolutely fantastic for Pikachu.

Thor

Smash Champion
Kongo Jungle

Honestly this was my go-to Counterpick back when it was still legal in my region. From the ground you can QA to the top platforms and get a cancel (Remember, you can cancel on every slant). The downward slants on the ground really help you since Pikachu is already short and it makes Pikachu REALLY hard to hit for a lot of characters, especially if you are actually spacing with D-tilt or F_smash. Conversely, pikachu doesn't really care about getting down slants because T-jolt and also like FF landing fairs or bairs, Pikachu will slide down and make it hard to punish him. Pika gains an advantage of living for a long time but can still generally get kills fairly safely due to edgeguarding (Which he is the best at)

Pikachu can essentially just do anything he wants on this stage while other characters get messed up because of the platform height. Absolutely fantastic for Pikachu.
This makes my counterpick of Pikachu on Kongo Jungle feel a lot less like "I'm trying to find something to do" and more like "I know what I'm doing, this is my best bet." Thanks ESAM!

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Nah. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Just got to practice and know/visualize my distances with QA a lot better. Thanks!
Practice on big battlefield

I kinda am like ESAM in that way, I just kinda know that certain angles will work in certain situations. It is hard to memorize every single part of the stage that you can ledge cancel from. As you get a feeling for the exact spacing of quick attack, you will just know that it will cancel. Even if you miss the perfect angle, you carry ground momentum when you hit a platform diagonally, that momentum causes you to slide and makes cancels easier (which is a more in depth version of what ESAM) said

But seriously though practice on big battlefield. Big battlefield as the exact same horizontal and vertical spacing between EVERY platform as normal battlefield does, so it will get you really comfortable with angles. and I know I said that I just kinda know that things will cancel, but I do still memorize all the easy platform cancel angles that I think will give me a good movement mixup

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
do opponents instantly ban battlefield against pikchu? what stage do opponents usually ban when they have to play pikachu?

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
do opponents instantly ban battlefield against pikchu? what stage do opponents usually ban when they have to play pikachu?
They insta-ban Lylat. Seriously Pika's best stage, because he can QAC off of every surface, it's NUTS.

Thor

Smash Champion
They insta-ban Lylat. Seriously Pika's best stage, because he can QAC off of every surface, it's NUTS.
This is almost true of Kongo Jungle as well... it's not EVERY surface on Kongo but it's most, and the high ceiling is fine since Pikachu gets most KOs off the sides [uthrow thunder, dsmash/fsmash, HSB ALL KO off the sides, gimping is basically off the sides with dair and bair as well...]. I think Kongo Jungle is actually better than Lylat against characters with strong vertical KO moves.

Also we can literally QA from under the stage on Kongo [like, ledge drop, double jump, QA up and then into one of the middle slopes to QAC]. Only downside is loss of stage-spiking/trapping on Kongo, but that's a small price to pay against most.

I mention this since Kongo is legal in my area, but it may very well be banned in others.

A smart person bans Lylat/Kongo/Castle Siege depending on how many bans they have and where they want to go [transformation 2 on castle siege = bthrow cheese time!, plus 1st transformation is good and third one is tilting FD = maybe some extra QAC].

I ban not-Kongo against Pikachus better than me at QAC to limit them more [I love Kongo enough to take basically anyone there.]

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
With how good Lylat is for Pikachu at the moment, I'm curious to see if the devs will patch out the slant QAC bug. I kinda hope they don't though!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
well Lylat is great because each side has that bump that can cause QAC as well as the slants that QACing gains pika momentum from

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah with the 1 ban ruleset of Evo, Pikachu has a guaranteed Lylat or Battlefield which is AMAZING for him. Also I think Duckhunt is amazing for PIkachu the more I play it.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Yeah with the 1 ban ruleset of Evo, Pikachu has a guaranteed Lylat or Battlefield which is AMAZING for him. Also I think Duckhunt is amazing for PIkachu the more I play it.
is it the awkward platforms that make it good for pikachu? btw can you QAC on them ? i dont play duck hunt much so i wouldn't know

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Notes i would add to this

the 3rd transformation of castle is actually a QACable (depending on the angle of the stages) FD which is really freaking dumb also there is a slight incline somewhere near the middle left part which is always QAC able its pretty much a way way more broken FD (yay) i honestly think castle is one of our best CPs in general against many chars meaning we have castle BF Lylat 3 way lameness for stage picks lol.

also i personally hate fighting sonic on lylat (gives him way to many landing options and his platform abuse game is nuts but im pretty awful at the MU ATM) same with duck hunt castle is a mixed bag we bop him on all the transformations minus the second i dont bother fighting on on the second one TBH i just camp him and duck hunt watch out for his throws (dont be dumb with the edges)

Thor

Smash Champion
Unless you changed your opinion of the stage, Pikachu has guaranteed 2 of 3 awesome stages at Evo - Lylat, Battlefield, and Castle Siege are ALL legal so in your best of 5s I'd think at worst you always get a really strong Pikachu stage games 2 and 4.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Hello! Just wondering if anyone has any experience on 3ds stages? Which would be good stages for Pika on there? I find Arena ferox to be really good for him

Thor

Smash Champion
Hello! Just wondering if anyone has any experience on 3ds stages? Which would be good stages for Pika on there? I find Arena ferox to be really good for him
Has QAC-able stuff, seems fine.

Prism Tower feels mostly like Delphino.

Battlefield and FD are the same.

I'm not sure but I don't think Yoshi's was all that good for Pikachu in Brawl, but now we can QAC on most of the stage so I think this stage is better for us now.

I don't have much experience but this is my best guess.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Has QAC-able stuff, seems fine.

Prism Tower feels mostly like Delphino.

Battlefield and FD are the same.

I'm not sure but I don't think Yoshi's was all that good for Pikachu in Brawl, but now we can QAC on most of the stage so I think this stage is better for us now.

I don't have much experience but this is my best guess.
Ah okay! Thank you alot c:

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Yoshis is our best 3ds stage easily battlefield being the close second i avoid prism though it doesn't work so well for us cause the blastzones are ratchet in that stage and we dont kill off the side as easily as the top and arena is great.

Soul.

3DS has quite the decent amount of stages to let us QAC whenever we want to. In Yoshi's Island (Brawl), the top platform lets us QAC when tilted. Battlefield is straightforward, and I'm not sure about Arena Ferox. Prism Tower is pretty much Delfino. FD and Omega stages have QALC.
Then again, almost everything here has to do with Wii U. Poor 3DS lol.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
3DS has quite the decent amount of stages to let us QAC whenever we want to. In Yoshi's Island (Brawl), the top platform lets us QAC when tilted. Battlefield is straightforward, and I'm not sure about Arena Ferox. Prism Tower is pretty much Delfino. FD and Omega stages have QALC.
Then again, almost everything here has to do with Wii U. Poor 3DS lol.
not to mention, Yoshi's also has some nice lines on the ground that make it really easy to know where to QA to the ledge from. I think pika can QAC on the slanted parts of the main stage as well, but I'm not sure

Top Bottom