• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
L E G A L I Z E P O K E F L O A T S

Personally, I still want Phendrana Drifts. It's one of my favorite ares in gaming and it would be nice to see. Shame it won't happen from a lack of relevancy.

I'd like a few other "never gonna happen" stages like Traverse Town, Balamb Garden, the Reset Bomb Depot, and Skytown. Just a little less.

Also to answer my own questions, the more legal stages the better. They are pretty much the only ones I play other than Skyloft every once and a while.
:061:
Phendrana Drifts gets my vote all the time. But seeing as how there is very little on the Metroid front, not sure what they will use. MP3 got shafted previously so. Phaze might be an interesting addition.

I've been looking at the Switch games that are available and while anything Switch-related in Smash is still vague at best, I think it's safe to say we will obviously be getting a BotW stage.

As for what remains to be seen but I think the Great Plateau would make for a great stage. Especially as a touring stage. The Temple of Time, Shrine of Resurrection, River of Ghosts, stationary Guardian, woodcutters hut, and the Shiekah Tower all being possible locations.

As for post-SSB4 Wii U content, Star Fox Zero will obviously be getting a stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sun and Moon stage as well. The Aethet Corporation might make as a fun stage. Though that may be pushed out for the next generation of Pokémon games if they come out before a Smash Switch.

Xenobladr Chronicles X certainly deserves some love but it may be pushed out for the next game which will be out on th Switch.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Since Miiverse isn't a thing on the switch anymore, take that layout or a similar basic layout and replace the background with video of the goofy people from 1,2, Switch.

Alternately, you could have the fighters on top of the two Wizard beams and the stage could push them along as the beams go back and forth.

Also, could a stage based on Nintendo's new mobile games be a possibility? Pokemon Go was more than a game last year. It was a global phenomenon!

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Since Miiverse isn't a thing on the switch anymore, take that layout or a similar basic layout and replace the background with video of the goofy people from 1,2, Switch.

Alternately, you could have the fighters on top of the two Wizard beams and the stage could push them along as the beams go back and forth.
Oooh a new Pictochat-like stage with with a Battlefield layout and 1 2 Switch gimmicks sounds like good fun.

I think it's also time for an Airship stage too if Rainbow Cruise doesn't come back. Having it scrolling across multiple airships just like in the main Mario games with cannons and Bullet Bills as hazards.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i want korok forest from breath of the wild it looks so awesome

ill comeback with more ideas

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of more classic stages in the next installment - a batch of places from Nintendo's early Gamecube/Melee era, where the stages were mostly simple, iconic places but also incredibly efficient. Poké Floats was very innovative in its own merit as well (for a stage that's made from the ground-up).

Speaking of Pokémon stages, which places from Sun/Moon would you like to see represented or do you think would be most fit for a classy Smash stage?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Speaking of Pokémon stages, which places from Sun/Moon would you like to see represented or do you think would be most fit for a classy Smash stage?
A Pokemon Stadium X would be nice that combines both 1 and 2. From Sun/Moon either an Altar of the Sunne/Moone with heavy Spear Pillar vibes or Aether Paradise with Ultra Beast hazards.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
L E G A L I Z E P O K E F L O A T S

I'd like a few other "never gonna happen" stages like Traverse Town, Balamb Garden, the Reset Bomb Depot, and Skytown. Just a little less.
Another FF8 fan?! This can't beeeeee.....................!

The top of Mt. Lanakila where you battle Kukui. The highest peak in the Alola region overlooking the islands just seems too good a spot to pass up. It'd also make for a good legal Pokemon stage. Just throw in a few platforms so as not to leave it as an FD clone.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As the Wandering Hero supporter, I want a new stage called Find Mii II. I think this stage could be based on the other levels instead of the final level. Maybe the stage could have new hazards like brightening (white light) or darkening (pitch black) the stage so players cannot see for a few seconds... and poison gas covering the stage... and fire burning the stage... and ice covering the stage.

I really like Find Mii stage in SSB4 3DS. That's why I want a new stage from that game series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think streetpass garden and streetpass mansion would make some nice stages

garden could have plants randomly growing to make more platforms and streetpass mansion in a similar way to tortimer's island could have a new layout each time

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I would like to see Aether Paradise from Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon as a stage.

Plains of Hoshido as well so Corrin has a home stage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No one mentioned New Pork City returning?

Luminario

Smash Lord
No one mentioned New Pork City returning?
New Pork was just... all over the place. I feel it tried to emulate Temple's gimmick of being huge but the specific fighting area like the cave of death at the bottom of the stage wasn't done very well so you spent most of your time chasing someone you hit away. Having the chimera on the stage was fun though.
I think we can all agree that Temple needs to return in every single smash game though right?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
New Pork was just... all over the place. I feel it tried to emulate Temple's gimmick of being huge but the specific fighting area like the cave of death at the bottom of the stage wasn't done very well so you spent most of your time chasing someone you hit away. Having the chimera on the stage was fun though.
I think we can all agree that Temple needs to return in every single smash game though right?
I figure it might play better in 8 player mode. Especially if they can get the Chimera to work at the same time.

D

Deleted member

I figure it might play better in 8 player mode. Especially if they can get the Chimera to work at the same time.
Not to mention they can still fix what did not work well like they did with 75m in Smash Wii U.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Speaking of which: no hazard nerf in 75m if it comes back in smash 4 Switch, no buy. Those things were horribly overpowered for no reason - kind of like the karts from the Mario Circuit (Brawl) stage.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
so if bridge of eldin returns anyone for a botw variant
I'd rather they make an entirely new stage. I'm thinking of either a rising Sheikah tower, one of the shrines or the Great Plateau itself.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
In terms of a port, I can see them adding a Splatoon stage, maybe something for BotW, but that's about it.

Stages for the next proper installment are harder to gauge since we don't know what new games will be released or be in the works during development of Smash Bros.

I'd still bet on a Splatoon stage, perhaps even two.
A BotW stage.
A Mario Odyssey stage.
A Xenoblade 2 stage, (and maybe an X stage if we're lucky.)
A Gen 8 Pokemon stage assuming that's the generation we're by then.
A stage for the new FE, if not the one after if we get two on the Switch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd rather they make an entirely new stage. I'm thinking of either a rising Sheikah tower, one of the shrines or the Great Plateau itself.
doesnt mean we cant have both, personally i think great plateau is a little dull for a stage choice

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
My wishes
  • Bowsers Castle
  • Underworld bc we need to represent the 3 main divine pillars of Kid Icarus
  • BotW stage
  • A new one based on MM because I think there should be a stage for every 3D Zelda game...
  • A Minish Cap stage bc why not?
  • Hyrule Warriors battle stage. Cia's castle preferably.
  • XCX Primordia or something
  • XC2 stage
  • Splatoon stage
  • A cute but epic and flashy 16 bit stage. I don't even mind what series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
doesnt mean we cant have both, personally i think great plateau is a little dull for a stage choice
Oooh... how about a stage called Divine Beast? It's a stage based on Divine Beasts but it's not based on a specific Divine Beast so it could have hazards based on all four Divine Beasts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oooh... how about a stage called Divine Beast? It's a stage based on Divine Beasts but it's not based on a specific Divine Beast so it could have hazards based on all four Divine Beasts.
rotating platforms, tilting platforms jets of water would be pretty fun

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I hope there'll be plenty of interesting stage-material arenas in ARMS...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think we ever had a desert themed stage... unless you count Mushroomy Kingdom, I guess.

Either way, how about another desert themed stage? I would like to see Sand Ocean from F-Zero series as a stage. Maybe it could be like Big Blue in Melee.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
G I V E
U S
P U M P K I N
H I L L

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Stage Ideas:
- An Arms Stage
- An Ever Oasis Stage
- A Snipperclips Stage
- A Splatoon Stage from Splatoon 2
- An Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Stage
- 1-2-Switch (1-2-Switch)
- Bowser's Castle (Super Mario Bros.)
- Clu Clu Land (Clu Clu Land)
- Hyrule Castle (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
- New Donk City (Super Mario Odysee)
- Rock Star (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)
- Stupiopolis (Sonic Mania)

_Sheik

Smash Lord
New Donk City would be a really cool addition for sure, but I am convinced that all the other worlds showcased in the trailer are just as awesome; plus, if not handled well, New Donk City could turn out to be Fourside 2.0 and rather redundant (what with the skyscrapers being a recurring trope thanks to Fourside and Saffron City)

I feel Delfino Plaza and the Galaxy stage didn't do their home games justice :/ Hopefully Smash Switch fixes it up with a fantastic Odyssey stage.

It's also kinda odd to see that everybody purposely forgets about MP Federation Force's existence when speculating about stages =P

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's also kinda odd to see that everybody purposely forgets about MP Federation Force's existence when speculating about stages =P
Some games should not be memorialized in Smash. :cool:

UGXwolf

Smash Rookie
Could you imagine a stage based on the Factory levels in the DKC series? Perhaps the musical factory from DKCR? I also feel Bowser's Castle (any iteration) is long overdue for an iteration. In fact, villain rep is as lacking in stages as it is on the CSS! Seems villains only get proper rep in music and trophies.

What might make for a good Poke'mon stage from Sun and Moon? Perhaps a traveling stage like Wuhu Island, or one of the trial locations? I don't feel any particular location in the game felt focused or fleshed out enough to really warrant its own stage, so I figure any landmark could do.

New Donk City traveling stage or skyscraper for Smash 5? Moray Towers, Saltspray Rig, or one of the new stages from Splatoon 2? How about an Arms arena? Like the one with a false middle that eventually breaks away? What about a Kid Icarus Uprising stage. Kinda like the Halberd. Hades could be in the background! Or even be stage hazards! Palutena's Guidance could use a bit of the mad god.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Golden Plains - underground section (NSMB2)
Like Mushroomy Kingdom did in Brawl, hold L to get a different underground level here. It still has the same coin mechanic, but the layout is different.

Mario Odyssey
Well, we'll have to wait a while for this. But all I've got now is that the hat ship will be the main battleground and drop the fight off in any of the different worlds, and fight there for a while. It'll come back later to pick everyone up and take them to another world, and repeat.

3D World
A huge stage almost like New Pork City, but there are clear pipes all over to get around from one spot to another. Regular pipes, item blocks, and brick blocks too.

Gloomy Manor
Now based on LM2, it works mostly the same as the other LM stage. There are also a few ghosts that serve as enemies at times, ala Pyrosphere. (That makes me want more of this in other stages)

Jungle Hijinxs - snow version (DKC Tropical Freeze)

Hold L for this when you select this stage. The layout is the same, except it's all covered in snow and ice, with some terrain being slippery. Snowmad types will occasionally appear as enemies.

Stone Tower
From Majora's Mask (3D, to be precise). No fall-through platforms here because of how the red emblem in the center will occasionally turn the stage upside-down. Twinmold will also appear here at times and wreck everyone.

Hyrule & Lorule
Based on A Link Between Worlds. Straightforward terrain in Hyrule, but the stage will then later change to Lorule with a different and more dangerous layout. It will change back to Hyrule afterwards.

Great Plateau
As overused as the "Level 1" trope is in most stages, this is more of a "Breath of the Wild as a whole" stage. Every so often, Guardians will appear in the background and attack. Find a wall to hide behind or dodge their blasts if you can.

Tallon IV
From Metroid Prime 1. This is a gargantuan stage like the Great Cave Offensive. Every area of the planet is meshed together. There are danger zones everywhere, which are patches of Phazon. There are a few elevators in some parts of the stage.

Blast Ball
Just to be obnoxious, based on Federation Force, you're all in the middle of a Blast Ball stadium. The mechs are playing a round of Blast Ball in the background. And oftentimes, they and the ball will get onto the battleground itself. Some units will stand idle on the battleground and act as platforms for a while.

Lor Starcutter
(Why wasn't this in Smash Wii U again?) From Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Most of this fight is spent on the ship, but it will occasionally send a platform away with the fight to various areas of this game. After a while, you'll return to the ship and the fight continues on board and will move onto other areas, including Halcandra.

Dedede's Drum Dash
There are a few regular platforms all around (some of them are the ground from Kirby 3D Rumble, with trees), but on the bottom of the stage are drums that cause players to bounce high when landing on them. There are also a few other layouts in which the stage will occasionally change to: a tower of sorts with little platforming and different drum sets and a ferris wheel.

Checker Knights
Based on Kirby Air Ride, this stage works just like Mute City in Smash 3DS, taking place atop unmanned Air Ride machines as their race goes on.

Area 3
Based on Star Fox Zero, this stage first takes place atop a bunch of Arwings, working just like Orbital Gate Assault. After a while, they'll fly into the space colony and all transform into Walkers, and you're all fighting on them as they move on and shoot. Every so often, a Gyrowing can appear to fight on top of. The Gigarilla will also appear as a major hazard in this stage. Later on, the stage goes back to the beginning part in space.

Pokemon Stadium X
Like Flat Zone X in Smash Wii U, this is basically Brawl's Stadium 2, but with Melee's Stadium 1 forms added to it (and corresponding Pokemon added to those forms as well).

Labyrinth of Deceit
Chapter 5 of Kid Icarus Uprising. Aside from some regular terrain to fight on the ground, there's some on the ceiling where players will turn and stand upside-down on. Jump high enough to fall into the other section's gravity. Plus, this stage could mess players up in ways that no other stage could.

WarioWare, Inc. 2
Same base area, different microgames.

Kitchen Island
Like the Dream Land stage in Smash 3DS, this stage takes place in a Game Boy. It works just like that stage, the main difference being it takes place in Wario Land 1 instead, going through many levels of that game.

Pirates
From Game & Wario, this takes place aboard Captain Wario's ship. He'll call out to his ghost pirate minions to randomly fire at one of the fighters.

Twilight River
From Pikmin 3, but the water could make this a more suitable stage to work with. Some other creatures could appear here to attack.

Animal Crossing Puzzle League
I've got nothing else for an Animal Crossing stage. But just fight along the puzzle grid as it plays on its own?

Urchin Underpass
The standard battleground from Splatoon is here. (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had me convinced for this) When there's 30 seconds remaining (or one life in stock matches), the music changes to the "1 minute left" theme. Also, there could be stickers/posters and graffiti of the Smash symbol on the walls in the background.

ARMS Stadium (or whatever it is)
In light of Spring Man ideally being playable. We'll need to wait a bit for this, but what I have is that the other fighters from the game will appear to assist you if you can reach them, in the vain of Magicant and Midgar. (We could use more stages like this too)

Rhythm Heaven
Actually, I have no idea how this stage would work. I had many different ideas for it, but can't settle for one of them.

Pinball
Based on the NES title, this is a modernly redesigned stage where players can knock the ball around into various obstacles to get power-up boosts if successful. The paddle Mario also appears near the bottom of the stage.

AR Games
Takes place on a blank table of sorts (with a "?" AR card in the center), but the terrain will occasionally shift into the various forms based on Archery and AR Shot. One of the dragons will also appear at times as a pseudo-boss.

Nintendo Land
It starts off in the main lobby area with the Central Tower. And much like Mushroom Kingdom U, Monita will appear and change the stage layout to one of the various attractions of the game: Zelda Battle Quest, Metroid Blast, Mario Chase, and the others. (There's also Luigi's Ghost Mansion where the ghost can pop up and attack players, sending them flying with high knockback)

Something from Bomberman...?
In light of him also ideally being playable, what could we have here? A "Bomber Grid" or "Bomber Maze"? If they could make a Pac-Man stage work like that, how would this one go? Or even something from Super Bomberman R?

Also, is anyone else a fan of this "game/series as a whole" trend in stages that we've been getting more of in Smash 4? It works a lot better that way, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
A Dr. Mario stage where you fight in a giant bottle with pills falling down on you and viruses popping up.

A Re-creation of the stage from Urban Champion done like they did the Duck Hunt stage

An Original Bowser's Castle stage based on Super Mario Bros with lava pits, bridges you can chop down, and those long line of fireballs things that rotate around and around.

A Virtual Boy stage where the platforms and backgrounds are all done in red wireframe with a black background.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like to see :4duckhunt: get a new stage... this time, based on Game B from Hogan's Alley.

Instead of being a 8-bit sprite stage like the Duck Hunt stage was in SSB4, I would like it to be in 3D like the Wrecking Crew stage... but I guess I would be okay with it being 8-bit sprite stage but still in 3D like the 75m stage.

It could be a side scrolling stage like Mushroomy Kingdom but it doesn't scroll nonstop... it stops and moves every now and then.

And whenever the stage stops scrolling, cutouts appear in windows, doors, etc. and some of the cutouts (the enemy cutouts) shoot at fighters. Fighters can make cutouts spin when they Smash them.

So yeah... I want Hogan's Alley stage for Smash.

Edit:

Perhaps a traveling stage like Wuhu Island
It already is in Smash Wii U. And it is a traveling stage. :awesome:

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
He didn't forget that Wuhu Island was in the game. He used it as an example for what his Pokemon stage idea would be like.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
in terms of splatoon stages id like to see flounder heights as its my favourite stage, mahi mahi resort another favourite which could have a water changing mechanic which we haven't had yet or ancho-V games

whatever we get i hope it has a splatfest variant

probably have somemore ideas when we get splatoon 2

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
in terms of splatoon stages id like to see flounder heights as its my favourite stage, mahi mahi resort another favourite which could have a water changing mechanic which we haven't had yet or ancho-V games

whatever we get i hope it has a splatfest variant

probably have somemore ideas when we get splatoon 2
I think Smash 5 should have two Splatoon stages. One from Splatoon and the other from Splatoon 2. :awesome:

July 21, 2017 cannot come fast enough!

Top Bottom