• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Selection Discussion

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Stage Selection

A big part of competitive play in Super Smash Bros. is selecting a stage to play on, as certain stages can offer certain advantages or disadvantages to certain characters. Samus is no exception so which stage is best for her? Where should we fight certain characters? Well that's why this thread is here. Below will be descriptions of stages as well as our advantages and disadvantages on them as well. Stages will be color coded as such:

Red: Very disadvantageous and should be avoided at all costs
Orange: Offers a number of disadvantages and should generally be avoided
Yellow: Neutral. No glaring advantages or disadvantages
Green: Offers some advantages but may not always be a good choice
Blue: A stage that works well in our favor and should always be considered or chosen if available

Below the list of stages and their descriptions will be a list of optimal stage choices for every character as well as stages that should be avoided. Discussion is welcome as what is posted here is my opinion. The thread will update as the community gives their input or as the game updates.

Overview

To determine which stages are best for Samus we need to know her kill options and weight. These two characteristics determine which blast zones are best and worse for us. Things can become a little tricky here as most of the time this can be a matter of preference. For example, some may argue that Halberd is a good stage for Samus as she can kill of the top with U-Air, U-Smash, Up-B or any other upward launching attack. On the flip side, one could argue that it is a bad stage for Samus as her floatiness makes it easier for her to be killed off the top of stage as opposed to the side where she can last longer. Again situations like that come down to preference so keep that little disclaimer in mind. Samus also has a difficult time landing so that's another point to keep in mind. Below is a list of Samus' kill options and survivability.

Kill Options:

U-Tilt - Upward spike, diagonal knock back if the opponent is in the air. Kills earlier if opponent is on a platform.
U-Smash - Great upward knock back, does not connect with opponents above you on platforms.
F-Smash - Good horizontal knock back if sweet spotted, pathetic horizontal knock if sour spotted.
U-Air - Upward knock back and can kill at earlier percents if platforms are involved. Will more then likely be staled from comboing so take this one with a grain of salt.
N-Air - Decent horizontal knock back, better used for gimping.
F-Air - Decent horizontal knock back, better used for gimping.
D-Air - Sweet spot is a spike, best used for gimping off stage or with Bomb disrespect. Sour spot has good horizontal knock back and again is better used for gimping.
B-Air - One of our strongest kill moves. Good horizontal knock back, unlike her other aerials, this one doesn't have to gimp the opponent to kill.
Charge Shot - Do I even need to say anything? Kills early, and could kill from practically anywhere on the stage. Great horizontal knock back.

Screw Attack - Upward knock back. Kills earlier with platforms involved.

Survivability:

Upward blast zone - Easiest blast zone for Samus to lose a stock given her floatiness.
Side blast zones - Given Samus' weight and amazing recovery, killing Samus off the side can be a difficult feat.
Lower blast zone - The only time you should die from here is if you get spiked or just messed up your recovery. Samus has good recovery options so this blast zone should never be a problem.

I focus more on knock back in this analysis as kill percentages is meaningless from a general standpoint. In picking the most optimal stage, knock back is what matters not kill percent. From the above data; we can conclude that Samus kills off the side blast zones easier and has tools to gimp if we do not secure the kill. This being said, in a general sense, stages that have close blast zones on the side would be optimal, and that stages with low ceilings, should generally be avoided.

Stages:

Battlefield:

Battlefield is a rather difficult stage to analyze. The biggest thing to note here are the platforms. On one hand, they make chaining U-Air's together much easier and could even lead to a 0 to death and make our upward kill moves kill earlier. On the other hand, the platforms cripple our zoning game. Whether or not the platforms serve as an advantage is all a matter of preference. As far as blast zones go, this stage has somewhat of a low ceiling and side blast zones that are quite a distance from the stage. The general opinion is that this is a good stage for Samus as the platforms here help her more then they harm her.

Advantages:
  1. We can kill early of the top, especially when using the platforms
  2. Combo game with U-Air is greatly increased thanks to platforms
  3. Sharking
  4. Can recover from farther out then most on the side given our good recovery
  5. 0 to death opportunities
  6. Smaller stage makes it easier to escape to the ledge
  7. Platforms allow for landing mix ups and a safe place to charge up Charge Shot
  8. Somewhat low ceiling
(Points 5 and 6 credit -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_- ; Point 7 credit DanishButrCookies DanishButrCookies )

Disadvantages:

1. Zoning game is crippled
  2. We are killed easier off the top, especially when the opponent uses platforms effectively
  3. Platforms cancel Z-Air
(Point 3 credit zblaqk zblaqk (How did I forget about that? XD)

Final Destination:

Just a flat surface. FD is typically a good choice for zoning characters and this is especially so for Samus. The upward blast zone is somewhat high, though not the highest in the game, it's higher then normally. This is good for Samus as it prevents us from losing a stock off the top as easily but it's still low enough to be able to net a kill with U-Air -> U-Air -> Screw Attack combos and with U-Smash. There's nothing too special about the blast zones on the side. They're not too far out but not too close either so you may still have to gimp opponents with better recoveries. My favorite thing about this stage is its size. A flat surface means that your opponent will be forced to approach through a barrage of Missiles and Z-Airs and on top of that Charge Shots and Super Missiles will cover the entire span of the stage where as regular missiles travel a little over half of the stage before blowing up. However, the lack of platforms highlights Samus' in-ability to land safely and of course all of the movement options, mixups, and sharking abilities are also gone since there are no platforms.

Advantages:

1. Somewhat high ceiling to keep us from dying off the top while still low enough for us to net kills with U-Air combos and U-Smash
  2. Incredible zoning potential
  3. Workable side blast zones

Disadvantages:
  1. Will be more advantageous to other zoners then it will be to us
  2. Difficult to land on stage
  3. Larger stage makes escaping to the ledge difficult
(Point 2 credit -_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_- )

Smashville:

This is what I consider a skill stage. A stage where no character has any real advantage, it's just a matter of who can out skill who. Samus does have some advantages here but they are minor and other characters can have the same advantages. All of the blast zones here are pretty normal, not too close but not too far; this applies to the top and the sides so there is no obvious advantage in that department. You can shark under the platform with U-Tilt and U-Air like on Battlefield but with the lack of a second, higher platform, you won't killing off the top as early as you would in Battlefield. Sharking with U-Smash is a little more useful since the platform moves, it'll move your opponent right into other blast. Will your opponent get knocked into the final blast that deals the knock back? Nope.

Advantages:
  1. Minimal sharking capabilities under platform
  2. Small stage allows easy escape to the ledge
  3. Platform can be used to stall and charge the Charge Shot
Disadvantages:
There are no glaring disadvantages here but no super amazing advantages either.

Delfino Plaza:

Platforms, low ceiling, varying terrain, walk offs, clean ocean water to dunk your friends, and a stage that you can go through, this stage has it all. I also hear this is a wonderful vacation spot. On a serious note, this stage is awesome. The ceiling in this stage is one of the lowest in the game and becomes even lower during a stage transition, pair that with platforms and you have yourself more then several 0 to death situations and touch of death combos. Just be careful, as your opponent will be able to use these to their advantage as well. As for the blast zones on the side, well that depends on which section of the stage you're on. If there are walk-offs then the side blast zone is pretty close. If there aren't any walk-offs then the blast zones are a little farther out, similar to Final Destination. If your opponent is swimming in the water, they become very easy to dunk with D-Air; just keep in mind that you are easy to dunk while swimming as well. You can approach from under the stage which can lead into some nice U-Air chains and last but not least, the stage platform is quite large to allow for heavy projectile game. A lot of what can be utilized by us here can also be utilized by our opponent but I feel it better helps us then most other characters.

Advantages:

1. Low ceiling
  2. Close blast zones at certain points in the stage
  3. Easy spiking with D-Air
  4. Incredibly low ceilings during stage transitions can lead to ridiculous early kills
  5. Under stage approach
Disadvantages:

1. Low ceiling (die off the top easier)
  2. Can be spiked easily in the water
  3. Some terrain does not complement a projectile game. (i.e. small islands)

Halberd

Halberd is like Smashville and Battlefield combined. For one, Halberd has a low ceiling meaning that kills off the top are easy to secure for us as well as our opponent. The single platform on this stage offers us a the same advantages and disadvantages as on Battlefield. For example, U-Air 0 to death chains can still be performed on this stage while the platform also cancels Z-Air. The blast zones on the side aren't too bad, about the same as Final Destination so horizontal killing is still a good option though not the one to focus on on this stage. The stage itself has two slants, one on each end of the stage makes most attacks awkward to connect. Grab especially suffers from this, use caution. Once the stage lands on the deck of the Halberd the awkward slants go away in place of 3 easily avoidable stage hazards that you and your opponent can throw each other into, it's a pretty fun way to net a kill. The deck of the ship also makes it easier to zone should you feel the need to do so.

Advantages:
  1. 0 to death opportunities
  2. Under stage approach
  3. Platform Sharking
  4. Low ceiling
  5. Stage hazards to throw your opponent into
  6. Upward attacks kill earlier on the platform
  7. Zoning potential on ship deck
  8. Can wall jump off the side of the ship deck
Disadvantages:
  1. Slants make some attacks awkward to connect
  2. Low ceiling
  3. Stage hazards
  4. Platform cancels Z-Air
  5. Grabs are especially risky
  6. Difficult to zone due to slants and a small stage.
LYLAT CRUISE IS NEXT

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
To be completely honest, I find the most success with Samus on Town and City. This is due to the amalgamation of the high platforms with our high initial jump, the excellent platform game with sharking, bomb sliding and movement, low ceilings for dangerous Touch of Death combos, and the fact that the platforms actually leave allowing Samus to switch to a move zoning heavy game to (more or less) get safe damage on the opponent before the platforms come back into play.

Last edited:

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
To be completely honest, I find the most success with Samus on Town and City. This is due to the amalgamation of the high platforms with our high initial jump, the excellent platform game with sharking, bomb sliding and movement, low ceilings for dangerous Touch of Death combos, and the fact that the platforms actually leave allowing Samus to switch to a move zoning heavy game to (more or less) get safe damage on the opponent before the platforms come back into play.
I share the same opinion for the most part. Honestly low ceilings scare me a bit so I tend to avoid stages that have 'em. In my personal opinion, I find Duck Hunt to be the best stage over all for Samus. It has a high ceiling so I don't have to worry about getting juggled to death, small blast zones on the side for easy B-Air or CS kills and it's got a lot of length to boot so my opponent has to get through my wall of projectiles before they can do anything. Perhaps it's just because I focus on more defensive/zoning playstyle that I think that though. Regardless, I'll be sure to mention all of what you said about T&C as those are some very good strategies for us to use :)

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
The pressure that Samus can give with platforms is stupid. At first glance it may appear that platforms give opponents a means of escape from pressure, but it's really the opposite. I want my opponent on that platform more than anything. I think zoning potential is greater in BF than FD. if I see you landing on a ledge, I can SH and place a bomb while you shield it. Big shield damage there.

We can 0-death on BF in not just one but a few ways. We can't 0-death on FD.

The smaller stage makes it easier to escape to the ledge in a disadvantaged stage. FD does a good job at showing that Samus has trouble landing.

I think the side blast zone would be the biggest pro for FD. CS killing earlier is always a bonus. But I'm not too bothered by it.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
The pressure that Samus can give with platforms is stupid. At first glance it may appear that platforms give opponents a means of escape from pressure, but it's really the opposite. I want my opponent on that platform more than anything. I think zoning potential is greater in BF than FD. if I see you landing on a ledge, I can SH and place a bomb while you shield it. Big shield damage there.

The smaller stage makes it easier to escape to the ledge in a disadvantaged stage. FD does a good job at showing that Samus has trouble landing.

I think the side blast zone would be the biggest pro for FD. CS killing earlier is always a bonus. But I'm not too bothered by it.
Only thing I wish was that the platforms didn't mess up out zair

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046

Those are all some very good points, I'll be sure to list those and bump Battlefield up a bit. Thank you! :D The way I play Samus is very projectile heavy and platforms just get in the way for me, so I just prefer the flat surface. (Though platforms getting in the could be a personal issue lol) I don't often have success on Battlefield but it seems I'm the minority.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Those are all some very good points, I'll be sure to list those and bump Battlefield up a bit. Thank you! :D The way I play Samus is very projectile heavy and platforms just get in the way for me, so I just prefer the flat surface. (Though platforms getting in the could be a personal issue lol) I don't often have success on Battlefield but it seems I'm the minority.
Samus' projectiles are garbage.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Samus' projectiles are garbage.
I make it work lol. Don't misunderstand, I'll still grab, combo, and fight without them if the situation calls for it but if I have the opportunity to wall my opponent by using Z-Air in conjunction with missiles and of course CS shenanigans, I will.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I make it work lol. Don't misunderstand, I'll still grab, combo, and fight without them if the situation calls for it but if I have the opportunity to wall my opponent by using Z-Air in conjunction with missiles and of course CS shenanigans, I will.
Gotcha

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I love Duck Hunt. The amount of times I've tech chased, framed trapped and caught people on the trees is just....I love it haha. Granted I've only been to 3 tournaments I am the ONLY one who chooses DH.

I love T&C too tho. First place I got my "Touch of Depth" kill and it was on stream.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
First thing I always ban is FD. Platforms just provide that slight advantage with tech chase situations, resets, pratfalls, bomb movement, and most ideally, charging the charge shot. More characters benefit on FD than Samus does. This is what I believe.

Personally I think Town & City is one of the best, if not the best stage to play on. The slightly low ceiling makes the up air strings to up-b a strong possibility. The platforms coming in and out are helpful for both recovery, charging, and for some nice bomb movement.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I'd argue that T&
First thing I always ban is FD. Platforms just provide that slight advantage with tech chase situations, resets, pratfalls, bomb movement, and most ideally, charging the charge shot. More characters benefit on FD than Samus does. This is what I believe.

Personally I think Town & City is one of the best, if not the best stage to play on. The slightly low ceiling makes the up air strings to up-b a strong possibility. The platforms coming in and out are helpful for both recovery, charging, and for some nice bomb movement.
I'm also in the camp that T&C is great for samus. I can understand how we can REALLY take advantage over mastering that stage and it's different phases. If you were able to be aware of where platforms would be at all times you could force tech chases in ways your opponent would have a hard time predicting. It's basically a super dynamic battlefield with lots of breathing room and none of the blast zone issues.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
I've edited the thread to match the communities opinion more. Thank you all for your input, gonna get to work on adding Delfino Plaza to thread here in just a bit. Gonna play a few matches and gather my notes.

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Halberd has been added to the thread! Feel free to give me your input on the stage :) Lylat is next! Oh boy! (He said sarcastically.)

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Lylat Cruise Pros:

- You can 0% to Death true combo on Lylat Cruise on the left, right and the middle of the stage with Dash Attack -> FJ U-Air into fast fall on a plattform than another FJ U-Air -> DJ U-Air -> Up B and similar variants.
- Platforms allow for landing mix ups
- Safe FJ U-Air's in the neutral on the whole stage thanks to the plattforms.

Cons:
- Auto-Canceled F-Air from the ledge is unreliable.
- Platforms cancel Z-Air
- Zoning Game is crippled
- Projectiles can fly past an opponent who is on the ground when the stage is inclined.
- no good walljump edge guard options.

A perfect example that the Stage is in Samus's favour: Video

Last edited:

Jman3

Smash Rookie
Id like to throw in Dreamland, I think this is hands down our best stage just from the platform height being perfect for Samus pressure from under and Up-B OOS is really safe and can kill early especially on that top platform. We can wall jump lower than some stages and the side blastzones are good for us to.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I'm not really sure where to take DK. Played a good DK recently and I really didn't want to take him to battlefield, lylat, halberd or dreamland. Those cargo throw up air chains off platforms are super scary. Ended up taking him to FD and got pounded anyway.

Where do you take DK, or really where do you take any character that has strong up air chains that can kill you off the top pretty early?

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Take DK to any Omega Stage or Duck Hunt Stage and abuse his horrible landing lag. Juggle him and you get free grabs on the ground on reaction as long as he doesn't escape to the ledge. If he escapes to the ledge, edgeguard him on reaction, his ledge options are super slow.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
It would probably be wise to mention the following about delfino:

A) there are several transformstions where we cannot use tether or zair

B) there are walkoffs which are incredibly bad for samus vs a bunch of chars

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I play absolutely terrible on Battlefield with Samus. She's a character that needs a bit of room. I lost to my friend's Kirby who I usually always beat when there's space provided.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I guess it really can depend on a person's play-style preference to choose our stages, but personally I find BF to be our best stage. Reason is because the platforms help so much for easy sharking, they extend our combos, and they even allow for good zair utilization. Lastly the blast-zones let us live for longer.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
I guess it really can depend on a person's play-style preference to choose our stages, but personally I find BF to be our best stage. Reason is because the platforms help so much for easy sharking, they extend our combos, and they even allow for good zair utilization. Lastly the blast-zones let us live for longer.
I think Dreamland is twice as good as Battlefield. You get all the advantages, plus a stage almost the length of FD. The platforms are also a little bit higher and a little bit smaller, so our threat range while under them is better.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
BF is a bit hit and miss for me. It's good for those reasons you mentioned but I also find the platforms jank my zair a lot. It doesn't seem to happen quite as often on Dreamland for some reason.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I think Dreamland is twice as good as Battlefield. You get all the advantages, plus a stage almost the length of FD. The platforms are also a little bit higher and a little bit smaller, so our threat range while under them is better.
BF is a bit hit and miss for me. It's good for those reasons you mentioned but I also find the platforms jank my zair a lot. It doesn't seem to happen quite as often on Dreamland for some reason.
Yes, I agree. DL64 is really great as well.
As for the Zair problems, you just have to use them slightly lower to the ground is all. I hate that too though. It really can screw us up at times if we're not careful.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Dreamland and bf are easily the best stages for samus players that really push the punish and combo game while preferencing an extremely offensive srategy, with bf being in favor of those who prefer stage drop tricks (specifically uairs or upb poking) while the stage curvature allows for techs almost no matter what while dreamland offers the ability to kill off the top extremely early and more reliably than bf (while both have 0-death combos on all of the non-roys from and part of the stage (di dependant) dreamland offers it on a much larger scale of both starter postions but also di.) On top of that, we are much less susceptible to being pineappled in comparison to the rest of the cast since out upb scales the entire bottom stage. Slight downside to the stage is if you tether at a very specific length & angld and don't reel in immediately, you will get pineappled on the swing in. Either way, I agree these two stages are samus' best stages.

Emerald Element

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
Wow, a lot of discussion has gone on since I've last been here, that's awesome! Sorry for the absence but my computer's processor recently fried. As such, I'm stuck on using mobile and won't be able to update this thread until I get a new computer. I appreciate all the discussion and the points that you all have brought up and I'll be sure to edit the thread with all of the tips that you all have mentioned. Thanks everyone! Happy hunting! (EDIT: whoops! Seems like I've longed into my previous account, how did that happen? Lol)

Last edited:

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
I agree. BF is sorta hit or miss for me because I prefer to zone and space more than I probably should. General consensus agrees that it's one of our best stages. In a personal sense though, for me, it's 50/50.

Top Bottom