• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Legality Speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

ikr

Yes and no. Whichever one is more legal tournament-wise.
and
Yes.

:)
Stadium 1 is more universally legal in Brawl, but is extremely hotly debated in P:M. I think Stadium 2 should be legal though; it is the stage home to this:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Just wanted to throw out there that Tortimer Island is not a walkoff and there are no swimming mechanics, you fall through the water if you get knocked in.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
It seems like Tortimer Island is like The Great Bay in Melee where you will fall if you hit the water.

I know it might be still banned with the "Every time you play this stage, the layout will change" comment. But at least it isn't a walk-off.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hey everyone, I come with an updated version of something I mentioned a LONG time ago here on the 3DS boards with my full thoughts on the 18 stages we know of thus far.

Inspired a bit by this, I have sat down to split all of the stages we have seen thus far into six categories based on their likelihood for being able to foster competition. Category 1 being the most likely with Category 6 being the least likely. Note that I am NOT suggesting certain stages be starter or counterpick with this, that system is flawed at the core and should be abandoned for Smash 4. If you'd like an explanation on that, feel free to ask.

Along with this criteria however, I have also placed stages so that testing may be done with them to hopefully give us the best stages for competition. I will explain my testing process after my thoughts on each stage. (Quick note though, categories 3 and 4 will get testing first). HUGE NOTE: WITH MORE INFORMATION ANY OF THIS CAN CHANGE. On top of that remember that even stages all the way on the bottom could surprise us with proper testing. I have also listed these from the ones I think have the most potential to the least. With all that being said, let me get to it!

Category 1:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Unless something HUGE has changed with these two stages I cannot see them being banned under any circumstances. They will still be tested just in case, but they should be VERY safe bets for legality.

Category 2:

Prism Tower

Our new version of Delfino Plaza with a tiny mix of Halberd. It starts as a walkoff (so did Halberd, no issues there) and slowly flies around going to various parts of the tower (like Delfino). None of the landing spots really look problematic. This still is probably a very safe bet for legality but still should see testing, a good fit for category 2.

Arena Ferox

This stage is highly reminiscent of the Pokemon Stadium stages which have been legal in the past. Some of the transformations look like they could be camped, but that's no different then the Stadium Stages. This is probably a safe bet to have on stagelists for early on, but should still receive testing just to be safe.

Category: 3

Jungle Japes

This stage saw legality at one point in Brawl, and was banned by people for varying reasons, many of them unfounded or proven to not be a real problem. There is a lot to think about with this stage. Swimming might not return, what would that mean for the water? Originally the water sliding players from one side of the screen to another was an incredibly risky movement option, will it be that way now? The klap trap wasn't actually an instant kill hazard, it could be DI'd out of, but DI seems to be different in the demo. This one definitely has potential to swing either way, and is a great stage to get early testing.

Rainbow Road

A tough one here, it looks similar to Port Town Aero Dive. The stage had some moments of legality in both Melee AND Brawl being banned at events for varying reasons. The cars are slow and definitely don't pack a huge punch and seem very easy to shield and avoid. Plus the ledges on the moving section can be grabbed! Definitely a candidate for early testing.

Category: 4

Spirit Tracks

This one has some oddities, but definitely shouldn't be cut out. The coaches it caries look like they may have small issues, but nothing that bad. The main issue is how much the stage draws back when it goes through its transformations leaving very little space to work with. There is a very fair warning before it happens, but it might lead to some bad situations.

This one has some things the community has been iffy on in the past but may very well be a perfectly good stage. It's worth having caution, but seriously testing is definitely worth it.

Reset Bomb Forest

This first transformation really brings you back to Smash 64 with some traits taken from Hyrule Castle and Saffron City. The platforms going up in a column could have a tiny bit of camping, but usually being up so high isn't a safe place to be anyways, so more then likely this would just lead to some serious combos. The space in the center (our Saffron City) could hurt the recovery of certain characters (primarily Ness) while making things interesting fro wall jumpers. Normally gaps in a stage cause problems for approach, but the platform above it might help.

The real problem is the second transformation. The layout is definitely freaky though that is not a real reason for banning a stage. The issues here look to be a possible circle (circle camping is a definite ban), a wall (could have cave of life issues), and possibly a large powerful hazard. We also don't know how long this transformation lasts either, if it's problematic but only lasts a short time it may be workable. This one definitely needs some serious testing to see if it will work, and is a good candidate for early testing.

Tortimer Island

This one really does depend a LOT on how open the community wants to be. While the stage is always randomized, none of the randomizations look to be particularly bad, plus it's not actually a walk off. The shark could be somewhat of an issue depending on how strong it is or how it works (it could even be on a timer for all we know) and the trees sprouting fruit, or possibly even coconuts could also cause problems. Distant Planet had many arguments for it's legality despite how it spawned items and these items look to be much more tame (Even more so then Green Greens which stayed legal for quite a while in Brawl). These one needs testing and would have hit category 3 if not for the possible negative community reaction.

PacMan Stage

This one is tough. We don't know if the ghosts are actual hazards and do damage orwhat the power pellet actually does. The real problem here is that the stages looks to already have a perfect circle to camp on. Since we still have some unknowns, and the circle may not be as big of a problem as it looks. Definitely a stage to be cautious about, but could use early testing.

Find Mii

That platform to the side creates a serious camping spot that could really ruin the stage. On top of this we have no idea what the Boss will be doing here and could be quite the hazard. This one needs early testing, but that platform leaves me feeling it wont last long through that testing.

Category: 5

Boxing Ring

There is a large hazard that could be abused, (and maybe even camped on for easy up throw kills) a possible strong camping position just outside the ring, and while it's not a reason for an instant ban, the walk offs don't help it either. This one is probably a safe bet to keep out of tournaments while testing.

Nintendogs

The stage is rather large, but one of the larger problems is the hazards and obstacles that fall from the sky causing quite a bit of damage and create possible camping situations. The walk offs, while again not an instant reason to ban the stage don't help it either. This is probably a safe bet to keep out of tournaments while testing.

3D Land

This one really has a lot going against it. Scrolling, large hazards, awkward to get through. This one is probably safe to keep back for testing.

Gerudo Valley

Boss characters with a possible powerful hazard doesn't help, but creating the huge gap in the middle by hitting the stage also has problems. Platforms and hazards in the pit could prove to have the same kind of camping issues we saw on Corneria but even worse, and trying to approach across the bride could cause issues similar to Bridge of Eldin. This one is probably a safe bet to keep out of tournaments for testing.

Category: 6

Golden Plains

Having it's unique mechanic with the coins, plus it scrolling it just wont be conducive to a competitive match. This is a pretty safe bet to keep out of competitive play.

Balloon Fight

The stage looks to have a strong hazard in the center, and the large amount of flippers doesn't help either, but the real issue is the new mechanic for walking off one side an appearing on the other. This could lead to some curious combo infinites, some camping issues, and probably wont see competition due to it having a strange unique mechanic.

Category ???:

Tomigachi Life

Since we know almost nothing about this stage I really can't classify it. I'll try to place this when we actually can.

So, take a close look at this. Just 4 stages that with any kind of positivity I can say will certainly be legal. Our stagelist need to have an odd number for logistical purposes as well, so this is an issue. Depending on what else is shown in terms of 3DS stages we as a community may need to be more open if we want more stage variety, or just close off most stages to have an incredibly limited list. Definitely worth discussing amongst ourselves as it will have a huge affect on our meta.

Now to explain testing. The main goal after testing would be to attempt to create a strong stagelist we could all agree on. Specifically, I would like to see everything in category 1-3 legal at all events minus any enormous discoveries made, and stages in category 4 available at TO's discretion. I would want to start with serious testing for categories 3 and 4 as these are the most important stages on the borderline to try and see if they need to move categories, followed by category 5 (as these do stand a VERY slight chance) followed by category 2 just to be safe, with category 6 then 1 tested respectively. Yes, even the stages that should be absolutely obvious will have thorough testing, it's only fair. I would probably try to recruit any players willing plus grab some of the veterans of stage discussion to help discuss this list and have something stable as quickly as possible.

WHEW! If you read this, serious thank you as it was a LOT of words (it feels more like it should be an OP). Let me know what you think about the possible stage categories, as well as how open we should be with stages.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
With all that being said, let me get to it!
WHEW! If you read this, serious thank you as it was a LOT of words (it feels more like it should be an OP). Let me know what you think about the possible stage categories, as well as how open we should be with stages.
Reset Bomb Forest is a stage I've seen on a recent 3Ds gameplay video. Unfortunately the second transformation last just as long as the first, about a minute. The second transformation has that cave that can be abused such as with a Pokemon Stadium transformation on Melee, but this one last a whole minute so I can't see this being viable for comp.

It's hard to be an Animal Crossing fan and not be biased in favor of Tortimer Island. The real issues are:
- The right side of the stage has no ledge you can grab.
- The shark could be insta-kill, but if you can't swim in the water, how will he work? Will simply being near him result in a KO?
- I'm sure the coconuts could be an issue as they provide projectiles to characters with no projectiles which could alter the outcome of the match if they use them well.

In terms of fruit, they might heal so little that it's no real advantage so I couldn't care less. I also don't mind random layout changes, I think it keeps the stage from growing stale. Will Tortimer Island be a great stage? Oh yeah! Will it be banned by the majority? I'm afraid so.

Everything else, I agree with. Some stages will just need some testing, good read. :)

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Reset Bomb Forest is a stage I've seen on a recent 3Ds gameplay video. Unfortunately the second transformation last just as long as the first, about a minute. The second transformation has that cave that can be abused such as with a Pokemon Stadium transformation on Melee, but this one last a whole minute so I can't see this being viable for comp.

It's hard to be an Animal Crossing fan and not be biased in favor of Tortimer Island. The real issues are:
- The right side of the stage has no ledge you can grab.
- The shark could be insta-kill, but if you can't swim in the water, how will he work? Will simply being near him result in a KO?
- I'm sure the coconuts could be an issue as they provide projectiles to characters with no projectiles which could alter the outcome of the match if they use them well.

In terms of fruit, they might heal so little that it's no real advantage so I couldn't care less. I also don't mind random layout changes, I think it keeps the stage from growing stale. Will Tortimer Island be a great stage? Oh yeah! Will it be banned by the majority? I'm afraid so.

Everything else, I agree with. Some stages will just need some testing, good read. :)
I'm glad I wrote something good!

I wonder what happens after the second transformation, none of the videos I have go longer then that. If you've seen it definitely give me a link!

Reset Forest would be tough with it lasting a whole minute, but I mean technically that's close to two Pokemon Stadium transformations, so if it switched again during a match MAYBE we could let it work. We have so few viable stages I must keep hope and prepare for testing.

I'll say that the non grabable ledge reminds me of Frigate Orpheon, but with the stage being much larger it should be even less of a threat. The fruits truely aren't that big, and players could fight around the tree. It reminds me of Green Greens but possibly even more tame with the possibility due to layout of no items in the first place. It's an odd duck but definitely a possible candidate.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I wonder what happens after the second transformation, none of the videos I have go longer then that. If you've seen it definitely give me a link!
Sorry, I think I worded that wrong. But Reset Bomb Fortress has it's neutral stage, then it transforms into the wacky stage, then it returns to neutral.

I also have an update to Tortimer Island, the shark actually hits whoever is close to it (it doesn't eat them: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUsmYp0mC4#t=1m3s) sending them flying away from the stage, it also seems to be present quite frequently. The fruits heal 9%, 3 of them grow every minute.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Sorry, I think I worded that wrong. But Reset Bomb Fortress has it's neutral stage, then it transforms into the wacky stage, then it returns to neutral.

I also have an update to Tortimer Island, the shark actually hits whoever is close to it (it doesn't eat them: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUsmYp0mC4#t=1m3s) sending them flying away from the stage, it also seems to be present quite frequently. The fruits heal 9%, 3 of them grow every minute.
The dock even changed sides... The fact that it's always random really will be the true problem I'm feeling. Some of the transformations I saw were absolutely fine, while others are just a giant pain. Hrm...

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Neutral:
-Final Destination: Includes all variations of said stage. Obviously a neutral stage.
-Battlefield: The most neutral stage in Smash history.
-Prism Tower: This stage is mostly just a Final Destination layout, and when it isn't, it's Battlefield. I played the stage once, and let me tell you it is everything tournament players WISH Haleberd was.

Counter-pick:
-Rainbow Road: It might also be neutral. The cars do damage, sure, but they move about as slow as the karts in Mario Circuit in Brawl. The moving platform is basically Final Destination, but most of the time is at the "stops", and most of the "stops" are like Battlefield, only wider. This is going to be a doubles favorite stage. I played the stage twice so I got a pretty good feel for it.

-Tortimer Island: It could be doubles' neutral; if there's a stage hazard on/off switch then it's neutral IMO, and serves as a FD alternative. Seeing as how there's no edges (as far as I've seen; if there are, someone correct me!), and seeing as how there's no platforms, if you get knocked off the stage, you're dead, even without the stage hazards. BTW, we should name the boat "The S.S. Randall".

Banned/Counter-pick (note: most of these stages probably are and should be banned, especially in singles):
-Balloon Fight: If we have a hazard on/off switch for the flipper(s) and the fish, I think it could possibly be a Counter-pick stage, especially in teams. But there probably won't be, thus it should almost definitely be banned.

-Find Mii: It's got a stage boss, it's got 2 levels, and it's got a weird gap in the middle. It sort of reminds me of Green Greens. Maybe if you can turn the boss off it could be legal, but that middle gap and top right are hard to ignore.

-Pac-Maze: If there's no stage hazards or a stage hazard on/off switch then it could wind up being a doubles counter-pick. Regardless, there's too many levels and too much camping potential for it to be singles legal as well as possibly doubles legal.

Banned:
-Boxing Ring: It will never be legal and should never be legal.
-Golden Plains: Fun stage, but it's a walk off, and it's got too many levels to be legal. It's also got a gimmick dominating the level.
-3D Land: It moves, it's a walk off, it's large, and it has a ton of stage hazards.
-Jungle Japes: It's been banned twice already, and there's no reason to change that ruling.
-Gerudo Valley: It's like a less legal version of The Bridge of Eldin. So no, there's zero chance of it being legal.
-Spirit Train: If we legalized this for tournaments it would be like legalizing Big Blue in Melee and Brawl, lol.
-Arena Ferox: It's hugeeeeeeeeeee, even for teams. The transformations are also insanely stupid.
-Reset Bomb Forrest: Yeah, no. The transformations don't exactly fit a tournament setting, and they dominate too much of the match.
-Living Room: It's big, has an insane amount of camping issues, has tons of spots where you can just camp and hide, has tons of stalling issues.

Too soon to judge:
-Tomodachi Life stage: we've only seen one screen of this stage, which isn't enough to base any assumptions on it.

So far based on what we've seen, this stage list right now is similar to Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I got beef with a few of these. The first being how bad the starter/counterpick system is (which has been discussed a jillion times, it's crap and needs to be exchanged for list striking) but more importantly, a few things on stages:

Neutral:
-Final Destination: Includes all variations of said stage. Obviously a neutral stage.
-Battlefield: The most neutral stage in Smash history.
-Prism Tower: This stage is mostly just a Final Destination layout, and when it isn't, it's Battlefield. I played the stage once, and let me tell you it is everything tournament players WISH Haleberd was.
No complaints here, all of those look like nice legal stages.

Counter-pick:
-Rainbow Road: It might also be neutral. The cars do damage, sure, but they move about as slow as the karts in Mario Circuit in Brawl. The moving platform is basically Final Destination, but most of the time is at the "stops", and most of the "stops" are like Battlefield, only wider. This is going to be a doubles favorite stage. I played the stage twice so I got a pretty good feel for it.
I figure this one will be legal too, it's honestly has a nice feel and the stops are good with the hazards easily avoidable. The cars do not follow a set pattern like they did on PTAD, but I figure they have a HUGE warning and are easily avoided on all of the stops.

-Tortimer Island: It could be doubles' neutral; if there's a stage hazard on/off switch then it's neutral IMO, and serves as a FD alternative. Seeing as how there's no edges (as far as I've seen; if there are, someone correct me!), and seeing as how there's no platforms, if you get knocked off the stage, you're dead, even without the stage hazards. BTW, we should name the boat "The S.S. Randall".
Well Sakurai has already said he wont be having a hazards on/off switch so no go there. The side of the stage that has the dock is grabable (the dock itself has the ledge). The shark does't eat people, it just hits them up (a Randall that does damage?) I'm unsure if it's on a pattern or timer either but it's unlikely as some matches I never saw it at all.

The random layout the stage has each time as long as they aren't insane shouldn't raise an issue. The big thing is the possible fruits and coconuts that the stage can have. Green Greens was legal in both Melee and Brawl with things WAY worse then that though (I mean the apples could explode) so in all honesty players should be able to deal with these. The stage would show where they obviously would spawn and it would be a matter of stage control. They may even have a timer of some kind to follow but I don't know.

Banned/Counter-pick (note: most of these stages probably are and should be banned, especially in singles):
-Balloon Fight: If we have a hazard on/off switch for the flipper(s) and the fish, I think it could possibly be a Counter-pick stage, especially in teams. But there probably won't be, thus it should almost definitely be banned.

-Find Mii: It's got a stage boss, it's got 2 levels, and it's got a weird gap in the middle. It sort of reminds me of Green Greens. Maybe if you can turn the boss off it could be legal, but that middle gap and top right are hard to ignore.
I agree here but...

-Pac-Maze: If there's no stage hazards or a stage hazard on/off switch then it could wind up being a doubles counter-pick. Regardless, there's too many levels and too much camping potential for it to be singles legal as well as possibly doubles legal.
The ghosts don't look TOO bad. I think the bigger concern might be if circle camping is possible (it has the shape for it). If the platforms aren't solid it may stand a chance. Plus the ghosts might even help make circle camping difficult to do (similar to the hazards on Summit) so I figure this one has a better chance.

Now, I agree with all the banned stages but the following:

-Jungle Japes: It's been banned twice already, and there's no reason to change that ruling.
That a dangerous way to consider anything. Even the worst looking stages should see testing. Nothing should be done just because its how we did it before. This stage could have a good shot again depending on a few factors. Most people see the "why it was banned in Brawl" on smash wiki and assume that it was the real reason. It only got banned in Brawl because a ton of players thought it was too good a stage for Falco (it wasn't) and people made up reasons later. The water as a "movement option" is very risky with the klap trap (which is on a "semi-timer" of sorts, not perfect but can be followed). PLUS the klap trap can actually be SDIed out of and survived by every character in Brawl.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure it'll be legal on the 3S, but let's see how it goes. The stage dimensions may have a slight change due to the size of the 3DS to help with those high ceilings, the water might not be swimable anymore (If tortimer's island is anything to judge on), and the klap trap could still be worked around. Not a perfect stage, but definately not worth tossing out for no reason.

-Spirit Train: If we legalized this for tournaments it would be like legalizing Big Blue in Melee and Brawl, lol.
I don't want this legal either, but I don't like your reasoning either. The stage has a TON of differences from Big Blue and would be banned for reasons much different then Big Blue. Big Blue had issues where you could circle camp, plus falling on the ground without perfect teching usually meant death. This stage has issues in how it transitions leaving very little space to be fought on. If you fall off the front of the train you don't actually die, you just get bounced around a bit and you can recover. Very different things. There's no need to hold bias a previous stage has to looking at new ones.

-Arena Ferox: It's hugeeeeeeeeeee, even for teams. The transformations are also insanely stupid.
I feel like you are in the minority here. I've seen no one before you say this stage should be banned. It honestly looks and feels like Pokemon Stadium in a lot of ways and unless something crazy broken is found there I see no reason to ban it. The transformations may not be conventional, but nothing there is broken by any means.

-Reset Bomb Forrest: Yeah, no. The transformations don't exactly fit a tournament setting, and they dominate too much of the match.
This one does have issues, mostly in that second transformation. Though some of the platforms in that transformations (the particularly bad ones) can actually be broken very easily. This one is probably on the fringe but I wouldn't dismiss it without testing to be sure how it works. It may even have more transitions for all we know, we only get to see 2 minutes of the stage as of now.

Last edited:

Soul.

Well, the 3DS competitive scene wants to be more liberal with stages. The best thing we can do is try them all and discuss after we trying them out, since it will probably have a "stage-striking system" because the starter/counterpick system has flaws. The neutral stages are fine, there's really no reason to try them out as they have no hazards or anything like that.
Rainbow Road could be a counterpick, but the screenshot below can result in a "problem" with the stage. I'm not saying it will be banned, but this screenshot could lead to easy side K.O's.

The platforms could be used to wait until the flat platform appears. It could be used to camp, too, but I'm not sure about that. I guess it won't be a big issue as those platforms are there for a few minutes.

Arena Ferox could be a "neutral" stage, it could be a "counterpick", or it could be banned. If we're banning it, I can see players debating its status as a neutral stage. Its layout looks like a neutral stage, or at least, usable for doubles.

Tortimer Island is alright. The stage hazard could be a problem, but aside from that and the random stage layout, it's fine. I'm pretty sure the player will be K.O'd before the hazard K.O's them.

All the other stages (Reset Bomb Forest, Boxing Ring, Pac-Maze, etc.) are probably going to be banned. Sure, players can try them out, but as of now, they will most likely be banned.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
My only issue with the DS version so far is that basically every stage is super gimmicky. And I also get extremely bored of FD and Battlefield for lacking flavor. So I'll probably mostly play on Ferox when playing serious games.

Of course, the first while of play will almost certainly be exploiting the content depth and playing random characters on random stages and just having fun. Tryharding can wait.

Last edited:

Soul.

My only issue with the DS version so far is that basically every stage is super gimmicky. And I also get extremely bored of FD and Battlefield for lacking flavor. So I'll probably mostly play on Ferox when playing serious games.

Of course, the first while of play will almost certainly be exploiting the content depth and playing random characters on random stages and just having fun. Tryharding can wait.
Every Smash game has had gimmicky stages. I'm sure most of them will be legal. We'll see about that.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'll make it easy for you guys. The TO approach I'm taking to this is likely banning stages with -Ridiculous- Hazards (Ala port town) or walkoffs...As much as I want to try walk offs as a CP, There are walkoff cgs in every smash game so far, and the walkoffs encourage players to camp near the blastzone and backthrow people into it. Last time I checked, backthrow is still a thing in smash 4. Other then that though, I'm going to make as many stages as possible legal at the start and narrow them down based on what happens in tourneys (i.e. Gamebreaking things found and abused on X stage). I know not all TOs are like me however, and some take an extremely minimalist approach and are ban happy. I lean towards only banning if absolutely necessary.

Oh and for those wondering about my TO credentials, I've run tourneys since 2008 and for every smash game sans 64.

Last edited:

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112

Living Room

Speculated Legality Status: Banned
Reasoning: Firstly, it's a walk off, and a rather simple one at that. Secondly, some of those blocks near the center look like they're gonna give campers too much of an edge, and potential wall infinites seem pretty easy to pull off here. Also note how much easier it is to land a vertical finisher here than a horizontal one. Definitely will be banned.
Not only this, but the layout you see here isn't actually permanent. I played this stage at Smash Fest, and all those blocks randomly drop down from the sky. If you are under them when they fall, they deal damage and knockback to you, which would disrupt competitive play. They go away after a while, but then new objects come along to replace them. I recall seeing a high heeled shoe as one of the possible objects.

Soul.

I'll make it easy for you guys. The TO approach I'm taking to this is likely banning stages with -Ridiculous- Hazards (Ala port town) or walkoffs...As much as I want to try walk offs as a CP, There are walkoff cgs in every smash game so far, and the walkoffs encourage players to camp near the blastzone and backthrow people into it. Last time I checked, backthrow is still a thing in smash 4. Other then that though, I'm going to make as many stages as possible legal at the start and narrow them down based on what happens in tourneys (i.e. Gamebreaking things found and abused on X stage). I know not all TOs are like me however, and some take an extremely minimalist approach and are ban happy. I lean towards only banning if absolutely necessary.

Oh and for those wondering about my TO credentials, I've run tourneys since 2008 and for every smash game sans 64.
So, you're gonna ban Rainbow Road, then? Its layout is like Port Town. Like you said, back throw K.O's are still a thing, and as seen in that screenshot of Rainbow Road, a character with a strong back throw/forward throw could easily K.O the other player.
By ridiculous hazards, that means stages like Living Room are going to be banned for sure. The stage itself provides a lot of camping, which gives characters with a projectile an advantage. The hazardous platforms are another problem. Of course, we're gonna have to see the rest of the stages so that we can see which ones are neutral, counterpick, and banned.
And since the 3DS competitive scene wants to be more liberal with stages, will there be a "stage-striking system"?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Every Smash game has had gimmicky stages. I'm sure most of them will be legal. We'll see about that.
I agree, and while I wouldn't mind seeing some gimmicks declared "legal", based on past games' "legal" stagelists (counterpick or no), what we've seen so far seems to indicate that anyone bad on FD is going to lack options.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Cool to see a long time TO posting here, thanks for taking the time man.

Now, I'll ask a good question, what is the issue with walk-off camping? I'm guessing it's because it's a very strong technique right? Now if chaingrabs don't exist this time and I could prove to you walk off camping is honestly not a strong technique, would you consider them a more viable possibility? I think I could present quite the argument that walk off camping isn't as strong as people think it is. If it's not a strong technique, people wouldn't use it right?

Besides the idea of them being counterpick material (besides not liking the system) would probably show people that it's not walk off camping that is the biggest issue. Many characters don't even need back throws to use them creatively. It tends to be moves or throws with close to set knock back that cause the issues there.

Raijinken

Smash Master

Now, I'll ask a good question, what is the issue with walk-off camping? I'm guessing it's because it's a very strong technique right? Now if chaingrabs don't exist this time and I could prove to you walk off camping is honestly not a strong technique, would you consider them a more viable possibility? I think I could present quite the argument that walk off camping isn't as strong as people think it is. If it's not a strong technique, people wouldn't use it right?

Besides the idea of them being counterpick material (besides not liking the system) would probably show people that it's not walk off camping that is the biggest issue. Many characters don't even need back throws to use them creatively. It tends to be moves or throws with close to set knock back that cause the issues there.
Walkoff camping seems more of an issue for certain character matchups than a rule. It carries a fair bit of risk for the camper, but that can often be reduced for certain characters who are hard to approach to begin with.

Really, with my friends, we'll probably start with all stages and just remove things that seem more luck than skill based.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Walkoff camping seems more of an issue for certain character matchups than a rule. It carries a fair bit of risk for the camper, but that can often be reduced for certain characters who are hard to approach to begin with.
It really is true. It's not as strong as people say it is, but it can work as well. It's probably just SLIGHTLY better then camping near the ledge on a normal stage with those hard to approach characters.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It really is true. It's not as strong as people say it is, but it can work as well. It's probably just SLIGHTLY better then camping near the ledge on a normal stage with those hard to approach characters.
I can't deny that, per risk, the reward for walkoff-camping is significantly greater (since you get more or less an instant kill at any percent), but I don't see it as significantly different from a low-damage gimp. I guess the issue is that in some levels of play, it does encourage camping and stalling. Not a problem playing in my group of friends, fighting is more fun than winning.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I can't deny that, per risk, the reward for walkoff-camping is significantly greater (since you get more or less an instant kill at any percent), but I don't see it as significantly different from a low-damage gimp. I guess the issue is that in some levels of play, it does encourage camping and stalling. Not a problem playing in my group of friends, fighting is more fun than winning.
I could agree with this. I feel like if we had a stage with the right mechanics it could work. Onett came REALLY close with the cars, it really was just the rest of the stage that caused issues. I'll test every stage for sure (just to be safe) but I could see if it didn't have something special walkoffs getting the boot.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I could agree with this. I feel like if we had a stage with the right mechanics it could work. Onett came REALLY close with the cars, it really was just the rest of the stage that caused issues. I'll test every stage for sure (just to be safe) but I could see if it didn't have something special walkoffs getting the boot.
Eldin and Castle Siege Part 2 also struck me as pretty reasonable in Vbrawl, as Eldin's random hazard wasn't a serious threat, and Siege didn't have any randomness. Karts aside, Mario Circuit wasn't that bad either. It's a shame there's no gimmick toggle in Smashthrough, cuz I think Gerudo would be pretty easily a fair stage (under these walkoff-acceptable ideas) if the Twins didn't shoot fire and ice everywhere.

M@v

Subarashii!
So, you're gonna ban Rainbow Road, then? Its layout is like Port Town. Like you said, back throw K.O's are still a thing, and as seen in that screenshot of Rainbow Road, a character with a strong back throw/forward throw could easily K.O the other player.
By ridiculous hazards, that means stages like Living Room are going to be banned for sure. The stage itself provides a lot of camping, which gives characters with a projectile and advantage. The hazardous platforms are another problem. Of course, we're gonna have to see the rest of the stages so that we can see which ones are neutral, counterpick, and banned.
And since the 3DS competitive scene wants to be more liberal with stages, will there be a "stage-striking system"?
I watched this video of the stage so you know where I'm coming from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbFJzUgD6_Q

This looks like a much less intrusive version of Port Town, for 2 main reasons: 1. There are clear warnings that appear a few seconds before the karts arrive. 2. Most of the time the players are in the air on the transition stage. Also, I LOVE most of the landing spot configurations, sans the last one they show. They look very neutral-esque. As for the walk off, there is only one section that lasts a short time (its not a permanent walk-off where someone call stall a match by doing it), and the carts come on the their first visit, meaning any attempt at corner camping could be very dangerous. There's no guarantee they come every time, but those factors do enough to make the walk off a non-issue. The issue is on a stage like the wrestling ring, where there is no danger to the player in the corner, and if they get a lead, they can basically stay there forever. Anyway, back to Rainbow Road. Me personally? I would see this as a stage that is in that counterpick/banned zone. This is a stage more conservative TOs would definitely ban quickly because of the karts. Several TOs see hazards that can harm players and ban them right away. Me? Not so much because of the clear warnings, the fact there is not nearly as many to avoid as on either Mute City or Port Town, and their relatively slow speed compared to the F-Zero racers, especially on Port Town. I will likely run this stage as a CP when it first comes out, but don't be surprised if a lot of TOs ban it early.

As for the Stage Striking, I plan to try a Stage Striking method at my first 3DS tourney. I will likely pick 7 neutrals for the first one, do a 1-2-2-1 striking system, and go from there. If it needs reduced to 5 at future events, so be it.

I basically answered this for the most part in the first part of this post, but yeah, if it was proven not to be strong or effective I'd be more open to walk-offs. People likely wouldn't use it as much if it wasn't powerful. However, the thing you have to understand is even with no chainthrows, you can kill someone at 0% if you grab them near a walk-off blast zone and chuck them into it. That's just throwing mechanics in all smash games. Unless throws are absolute crap that send you nowhere in smash 4, camping a walkoff blast zone waiting to throw someone into it is going to be extremely powerful. What's the safest thing to do if someone is trying that stunt? Camp them until they come closer into the stage, and thats where the problem starts. Even if both of them are engaging near the walk off, it tends to cause the match to de-generate into a gimmicky crap shoot. Brawl matches on Castle Siege are good examples of this. Watch how much different the players play when they are on the 2nd phase of the map (the walk-off portion) when compared to stage one and three, and it will be easier to see what I mean.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
As for the Stage Striking, I plan to try a Stage Striking method at my first 3DS tourney. I will likely pick 7 neutrals for the first one, do a 1-2-2-1 striking system, and go from there. If it needs reduced to 5 at future events, so be it.
I'll assume he meant more along the lines of a List Striking System where such a thing as neutrals don't exist and stages are just legal or banned.

I basically answered this for the most part in the first part of this post, but yeah, if it was proven not to be strong or effective I'd be more open to walk-offs. People likely wouldn't use it as much if it wasn't powerful. However, the thing you have to understand is even with no chainthrows, you can kill someone at 0% if you grab them near a walk-off blast zone and chuck them into it. That's just throwing mechanics in all smash games. Unless throws are absolute crap that send you nowhere in smash 4, camping a walkoff blast zone waiting to throw someone into it is going to be extremely powerful. What's the safest thing to do if someone is trying that stunt? Camp them until they come closer into the stage, and thats where the problem starts. Even if both of them are engaging near the walk off, it tends to cause the match to de-generate into a gimmicky crap shoo. Brawl matched on Castle Siege are good examples of this. Watch how much different they players play when they are on the 2nd phase of the map (the walk-off portion) when compared to stage one and three, and it will be easier to see what I mean.
It's true that people could still throw at zero percent, but being able to land that throw isn't easy either. Most kinds of capming are stopped from the front much more often then the back anyways so the idea that a player can only pressure from one side shouldn't be an issue. It's honestly high risk high reward and many things in smash are that way. Though I could agree that such things could clog lower levels of player where people don't know how to counter it and it could be boring to watch. (I've seen many Castle Siege matches and know exactly what you mean).

Soul.

I watched this video of the stage so you know where I'm coming from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbFJzUgD6_Q

This looks like a much less intrusive version of Port Town, for 2 main reasons: 1. There are clear warnings that appear a few seconds before the karts arrive. 2. Most of the time the players are in the air on the transition stage. Also, I LOVE most of the landing spot configurations, sans the last one they show. They look very neutral-esque. As for the walk off, there is only one section that lasts a short time (its not a permanent walk-off where someone call stall a match by doing it), and the carts come on the their first visit, meaning any attempt at corner camping could be very dangerous. There's no guarantee they come every time, but those factors do enough to make the walk off a non-issue. The issue is on a stage like the wrestling ring, where there is no danger to the player in the corner, and if they get a lead, they can basically stay there forever. Anyway, back to Rainbow Road. Me personally? I would see this as a stage that is in that counterpick/banned zone. This is a stage more conservative TOs would definitely ban quickly because of the karts. Several TOs see hazards that can harm players and ban them right away. Me? Not so much because of the clear warnings, the fact there is not nearly as many to avoid as on either Mute City or Port Town, and their relatively slow speed compared to the F-Zero racers, especially on Port Town. I will likely run this stage as a CP when it first comes out, but don't be surprised if a lot of TOs ban it early.

Well, the warnings make it so it's obvious that the players need to go to the platforms so the karts don't hit them. I'm not sure if Port Town's flat platform let the characters grab the ledges. Rainbow Road seems to do that. The walk off lasts for a few seconds, yes, but there's still a chance the player will K.O the opponent before the flat platform appears. It's most likely that Rainbow Road's status could be a counterpick (that is, if the same stage system is on Smash 3DS). Boxing Ring is obviously banned. It's obvious. Walk-offs, hazardous platform at the top of the stage, the lighting dims out after it falls down. There's a lot of reasons why this stage could be banned.
You'll pick 7 neutrals? I suppose it will be on the With Friends mode of the online multiplayer.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
@ M@v M@v You're a TO? Just a quick question, how do you think a single stage tournament would go in the previous games? Something really neutral, like Smashville or something.

M@v

Subarashii!
It would work, but it would also be incredibly boring. Plus I'm pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't be too keen about playing on just one stage... It would have to be smashville in Brawl and BF in Melee.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It would work, but it would also be incredibly boring. Plus I'm pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't be too keen about playing on just one stage... It would have to be smashville in Brawl and BF in Melee.
Figured I'd ask since there's the FD only rules and all. Thanks for answering.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Sorry for the major bump, but I'm going to go ahead and request for the mods to lock this thread. Seeing as the Japanese 3DS release is this Friday, speculation will no longer be a thing. Next week, I'll open up a new thread for actual stage legality discussion for the 3DS stages.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Tomodachi Life is going to be a Luigi Mansion like stage, but without any hazards

That looks like a room. Tomodachi Life has this big hotel where everything is happening and that's probably the stage.

M@v

Subarashii!
Sorry for the major bump, but I'm going to go ahead and request for the mods to lock this thread. Seeing as the Japanese 3DS release is this Friday, speculation will no longer be a thing. Next week, I'll open up a new thread for actual stage legality discussion for the 3DS stages.
There was no need to bump a dead thread (its been 2 months) just to request it to be locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom