• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So yeah, there's no Stage Discussion thread in here, and I wanna know some Do's and Don'ts for Ness stages.

So lets talk.

Overall, what are good stages for ness?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Anything with platforms tends to be Ness-pwnable. As they say, the one place you don't want to be is above a Ness. Plus his double jump is really good for ducking below platforms and popping back up with an uair really quickly. Battlefield is one of my personal favorites.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I would like to know for my Samus Stage selection(check sig) what stages are good and bad against samus???
Like out of Fd, FoD, Bf, DL64, PK, Ys, and KJ64 which ones does Ness do well against Samus???
Thanks!

Redragon

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I would like to know for my Samus Stage selection(check sig) what stages are good and bad against samus???
Like out of Fd, FoD, Bf, DL64, PK, Ys, and KJ64 which ones does Ness do well against Samus???
Thanks!

Redragon
As rude as this sounds, i'd almost bet you're better off pming Sinma. D:

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Thanks!

Redragon
I personally think that Ness does pretty well against samus on FoD. Both characters have nasty platform tricks, but the smaller boundaries really help in taking out Samus pretty fast.

Dogy: Over all good stages for ness imo would be Rainbow Cruise, FoD, and Corneria.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I personally think that Ness does pretty well gainst samus on FoD. Both characters have nasty platform tricks, but the smaller boundaries really help in taking out Samus pretty fast.
That's cause your Ness cheats.

I saw you wreck a grapple with PK thunder that was the funniest thing i've seen in a LONG time. D:

And rainbow cruise? You really think so?

I always thought ness would be TERRIBLE at moving stages. But then again, that's what happens when I think sometimes.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Ness vs. Samus is pretty **** even when it comes to stage selection. I'd say Ness has a SLIGHT advantage on Corneria and Samus has a SLIGHT advantage on Dreamland and BOTH of those stages can easily end in a TIME UP for Ness vs. Samus.

I ban DL vs. Samus myself because I am at a loss trying to think of any better stage to ban. Samus' I've fought have banned mostly FD vs. me, but pay for that when taken to corneria(which is normally a strong stage for Samus, but Ness' game there edges out samus' by a small but noticeable margin.)

tehSANDMAN

Smash Apprentice
I've been using Kongo Jungle as a counter for a lot of people. You can keep under the opponent pretty well plus versus samus that stage should be badass. No room to spam missles and platform cancelling won't exactly prove useful for her. So far it's been a pretty good ness stage for me. Plus the floor helps with recov a lil and opens a tiny bit of other ledge options (getting up).

tehSANDMAN

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... dogy, is it just banned at most of the tourneys you know? Its not at FC and thank god that's the one im gettin ready for :p. Doesn't seem like it would give any huge advantages.

PwNess

Smash Rookie
back to the actual thread topic...

i would love to see a stage made for Poo (if he is in the game)... just like an oriental temple in the background... then you could have aliens descend and wreak havoc in the background while you fight.

noww.. back to the actual thread topic.. stadium is one of my faves as ness. i usually just run around the stage and hit and run until it transforms into the water stage then go on the offensive. not sure why, but i've done some serious poonings with that windmill.

poo for brawl!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The windmill's often slanted-Ness is useful for DjC'ing especially fast. It gives you more platforms, which Ness loves.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I personally hate platforms, but i'm weird. They always mess up my combos. Corneria, Poke Floats, Fd, and Ps r my favorites.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Poke Floats is fun because nobody expects you to pick that place. They don't know how to play on Poke Floats.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Platforms are good for Ness. Why? Because anyone with a Ness under them is usually dead. Ness's DjC works with that because you can be on a platform, and still technically be under someone who's directly in front of you, on the same platform. (drop down, DjC, uair)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Platforms are good for Ness. Why? Because anyone with a Ness under them is usually dead. Ness's DjC works with that because you can be on a platform, and still technically be under someone who's directly in front of you, on the same platform. (drop down, DjC, uair)
I wish that worked for me.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Would DK64 be a good stage for Ness? I mean it has good edgeguarding, it's easier to recover, and it has platforms and a high ceiling.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I was playin KJ64 in a few friendlies at LTEC yesterday, and everytime I played it i was like "**** this stage rocks for ness".

Here are some points of interest.

1) The Floor.

- The floor is a gift and a curse for ness, imo. I say it helps his recovery because, if you need it, you can shoot past the edge and just land on the stage. If you're going to get hit anyways, atleast you'll make your opponent work a little more for the KO. You can airdodge through it, if needbe and cut out the terrible landing lag from PKT2.

- The REAL pro about the floor, IMO, is the option of PKTT (PKThunder Trixies). Since PKT goes through the floor, and the ledge is difficult for some characters to sweetspot, some characters are open for PKT2 all day long.

2) The Barrel.

- The barrel is a nice tool for ness. It's not ALWAYS an option, because you cant always chase it down, but since Ness has a monster double jump, it's easier for him to maneuver to the barrel and away from the edge guard. If the barrel decides to punk out and leave, well then PKT2 through the stage. D:

- It's also easier for ness to guard the barrel because of PKT. The only thing you have to do is know if somebody is going for the barrel. This gets extremely difficult when the high platform is also an option for your opponent, but atleast ness can protect the barrel.

3) the kill walls.

- Are far. I dunno if that's a real pro or con for ness, i would imagine this would come down to opinion. I personally like far kill walls because it means I live longer. Because of this, I have more time to get somebody off the stage and try to edgeguard them.

- For other Nessers, though, this would be a curse. For people who tend to control the match, it would suck because you'd have to work harder to get the KO, and you'd be more suceptable to gimp KOs. Ness IS pretty easy to gimp, and some people may jump out there to eat the PKT knowing that they may be saved by the barrel.

In the end, I think this stage would be a good option to take people with

1) Bad recoveries. - Normally, the high platform will not be an option, leaving you to only worry about the edge and the barrel.

2) Bad recovery LAG - unless they get the barrel everytime, or unless they sweetspot everytime (which can be hard) they HAVE to land on something, and when they lag, you get free hits.

3) upkill monsters. - since the ceiling is fairly high (not the highest, but very high), you could make good use of the stage to away the upkill option if you need to.

__

Some people you would NOT take to this stage are.

1) Peach.
- She loses absolutely NOTHING from going to this stage, and she cuts out your option of coming through the stage with her downsmash.

2) Projectile heavy players with fast(er) characters (Fox, Falco, Y.Link)
- I specifically say projectile heavy players because taking characters like Y.Link to this stage can be a good idea. However, if they are projectile heavy and look to spam and run, you will have all hell trying to keep up with them.

__

I'd have to do more playing on the stage to get more solid facts about it, but this is the opinion i came up with based on saturday.

I think it's an acceptable counterpick for Ness, but it's not a win-all stage by any means.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i like platform stages (battlefield)

simple juggle like this

DJC fair, dthrow, uair (repeat until necessary), tech chase up b

most likely the opponent will be on a platform so you can follow the tech with the PK thunder, i've hit it many times against many different people (which means it'll work pretty well)

DK64 is a good stage for ness, gimp KOs are harder thanks to the barrel

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
I wish that worked for me.
Same here.
I don't know why everyone keeps saying that "anyone under ness is dead."
In my own experience, i'm usually destroyed when i'm above my brother's falcon.
Most characters have pretty decent uairs that can't really be countered by an uair or bair of ness. Am I wrong??

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Same here.
I don't know why everyone keeps saying that "anyone under ness is dead."
In my own experience, i'm usually destroyed when i'm above my brother's falcon.
Most characters have pretty decent uairs that can't really be countered by an uair or bair of ness. Am I wrong??
They're saying "anyone with a Ness under them is dead" not anyone under Ness is dead. Those are two very different scenarios.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Master the layout on Rainbow Cruise. Ness has some nasty moments on that stage. Aside from a million places to recover to [but practically no ledges! x_X], you have a great deal of room to evade and play in, just fly everywhere, don't give the guy a chance to lock in on you [yeah man like it was a dog-fight or some shlt!] This is a great Sheik counterpick. It evens the match out considerably. A Sheik won't know what to do with all that space and all the places for you to hide from needles. Don't worry, this stage is hardly all defense and evasion. The great thing is that almost no one is realllllllllly familiar with the stage, they might have a solid idea, but they for sure couldn't list off every platform that is impossible to fall through [I actually only started using this stage in the last week so I'm not too familiar either, but the results have been pretty good so far]

tons of room for PKT games =D don't abuse them though! just...have fun haha

also! SHORT A$$ WALLS! great for f-throw at low damages/b-throw at higher damages [and not as high as you're used to needing ^_^]
N-air is great near the sides because it trades hits with a lot of things and has excellent knockback for the situation you're in

be careful with your PKT though because if you aren't: the stage may eat your thunder XD

I don't know, I'll mess around some more on this level and let you know if I have any revelations about it

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Rainbow Cruise sounds good. Not many people would expect to be counter picked there so you'll have the advantage if your familiar with the stage. This kind of stage plays havoc on people that regularly play ledge games.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I just don't like those stages, I always mess up somewhere stupid. I play an extremely risky Ness, and I kill myself regularly on FD, let alone a stage like Rainbow Cruise

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
used it in a tourney yesterday against a Marth...zomg was it sweeeeeeeeeeet
don't use it against Fox though :( and if you're going against Sheik, you better have a nasty defense/evasion game...wait for the level to get complicated and then you can mess with the c*nt...also, I like the part on the very top of the stage where it has a steep [albeit small] curved piece, she can't ghey you too much in that area, which is good if the Sheik is aggressive, but not so good if the ***** is campy :( I don't know, I'll have to get better at the level since I just started using it this week

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
People who counter corneria recovery (as in it's easy for them to destroy the guns).

Won't be able to stop them once they're there.
Sheik (d-smash)
Peach (d-smash)
Might be able to stop them.
Falcon and Ganon (d-smash)
Unknown
Yoshi's dair (it does tons of damage)

Top Bottom