• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion Thread #4[Lylat Cruise]

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Lylat Cruise​

Summary
A short summary about how G&W performs on the stage and any particularly useful techniques/tactics on the stage. Also highlight a general strategy for this stage.
Rating
1-10
Character
List any characters that does really well or really bad on this stage, to alert you of which stages to ban or counterpick. An explanation would also be nice.

GoGoGo!

Mr.Jake and Skate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mrjakeandskate
I don't play this stage much but when i do its usually play a MK, Snake, Diddy and ICs.

Against Mk it isn't that bad as as long as he stays above stage.

Snake it is good against to take advantage when he is coming back down and landing on the platforms.

Diddy's nanners **** on this stage but as long as you take them away from him and shield him it should be good.

IC's CG gets messed up a bit on this stage and all you need to do it not Dair so much Bair and Dtilt a bunch though.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Uuh~ I don't mind this stage. I guess... I don't purposely go here, but if I go here it's not that big of a problem. Big characters here are pretty good to take here. And yeah, I can sort of see Snake here. Only issues would be where he sets his things, and that he can just utilt you while on the platform. But on the platform he could get hit by dtilt, dsmash, and dair like most big characters.

I like fighting Icies on here, too. It also messes up their side b recovery.

I mainly hate me dying from this stage. Lol. Upb and you miss the ledge because of the slants. But you just have to practice and know when you should.
You can nair juggle pretty well here thanks to all of the platforms.

I think this stage is fairly good. Maybe around 7-8. Just be careful with characters that have insane hitboxes on the top. But other than that. Easy to get around, easy to juggle, easier to land kills, easier for others to mess up, etc. Just take advantage of what characters can't adapt well here and it should go well.
You can also nair underneath the stage, too if they try and approach you while you're on the ledge.
I know Pits like this stage. I don't know if it's their favorite stage next to FD or not. It's also a good Olimar stage. I'd take people here as Olimar. So watch out for these two characters. I'll add more when I can think of it!

Like other have said, it seems like a nice stage to take snake on. He definitely has more trouble recovering high due to the three platforms. The tilting and ledges also make it hard to come back from below. I think the three platforms also make it harder for snake to play more nade games with G&W. I find myself dying a bit earlier from his utilt on this stage so :(

I suggest learning the timing for those upb stage spikes. As dumb as it sounds the situation does arise every once in a while and the ledge on lylat make it a plausible tactic.

It seems like a good choice against falco and ICs. I've had falcos mess up their side b recovery just as the stage begins to tilt. G&W's dtilt is too good during those tilts. As people said before, ICs have to change their timing a bit to successfully chain grab you. The ledges are a big problem for up B recoveries from them since nana tends to get stuck under the "fin" when they need those quick emergency up Bs to save her.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Snake Dash attack can start up some **** here, though.

I don't think I'd cp it against Snake.

I do like the stage for Gdubs. We're not too bothered by tilting... and it might surprise people what happens to our hitbubbles.

This stage ***** Zelda, although she likes her Nair to platforms about as much as GaW does.

How do you like this stage for Wolf or Wario?

Snake Dash attack can start up some **** here, though.

I don't think I'd cp it against Snake.

I do like the stage for Gdubs. We're not too bothered by tilting... and it might surprise people what happens to our hitbubbles.

This stage ***** Zelda, although she likes her Nair to platforms about as much as GaW does.

How do you like this stage for Wolf or Wario?
You shouldn't be losing to zelda ever. You can SDI just about all her moves and get out of them except for those one hit moves (of course). I do think this stage does favor G&W when it comes to playing against wario. His UpB recovery doesn't sweetspot so you can just dtilt him on those terrible tilted ledges. I don't have enough wolf match-up experience to comment on it

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
You shouldn't be losing to zelda ever. You can SDI just about all her moves and get out of them except for those one hit moves (of course). I do think this stage does favor G&W when it comes to playing against wario. His UpB recovery doesn't sweetspot so you can just dtilt him on those terrible tilted ledges. I don't have enough wolf match-up experience to comment on it
I secondary Zelda... so...

Yeah, only USmash and Fsmash are SDId, and in theory. In practice, not everyone SDIs Fsmash perfectly, and there are still times when Usmash won't be escaped. Also, you assume Zelda would be landing the attacks from their first impact frame, whereas often they catch a char out of something else.

I wasn't thinking about my competition though; I'm the only resident Zelda. Most Zelda users are jokes, you're right. But I'm sure they'd appreciate the challenge of taking them to Lylat if you encounter any.

Good thing to keep in mind about Wario. After edgeguarding a bit, I just wait for him to resort to Up-B, huh? Sadly, he eventually gets bike back if I can't make it decisive.

I can't believe I didn't mention. Black Game & Watch should be banned on Lylat, it's so good. Can't see jack.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Lol. That makes me wonder if it's legal to change colors for certain stages after choosing a neutral. I noticed some Smashers do that, but GnW is one color.

Also, I wouldn't fight Wario in Lylat. Anything with platforms like that scares me vs. Wario. I also play Wario. Lol. So I don't mind fighting on Lylat with him, either. Haha. I'd go GnW or Wario on Lylat.
GnW and Wario's stage likings compliment each other. They like a lot of the same stages. RC, Brinstar, Battlefield, Norfair, etc. I like to keep it simple to be honest. Smashville maybe Halberd. But that's a whole new topic.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
This is the stage you should be striving to get during stage striking vs most characters (not olimar or marth though [marth is debatable though]). Plenty of shield pressure is able to be applied, and when your opponent is in the air, they can't escape to a high platform like they can on BF. This is a terribad stage for falco, at least from my own experience (I co-main falco), and I can't see this being a great stage for snake, DDD, IC's or diddy. Lots of our harder m/u's get nulled, so this could be considered a CP for us. Unfortunately for the stage, there are just a lot of better stages to choose from, so unless you are in a really conservative region, you probably won't be going here for a counter-pick unless you have a ton of experience here.

Over all the stage is pretty good for us, I'd rate it anywhere from a 5-7.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
For me the lip is a blessing and a curse. You can screw up a sweet spot because it tilts but its not that hard to stage spike your opponent with in when you Up-B. Snake goes crazy from my experience, but MK is bearable. Turtle is also good at stage spiking. Stage isn't that big so I don't have much trouble KO-ing.

I don't think this stage is that great for breaking camps, I prefer Pokemon Stadium - big with platforms. Toon Link just ***** hard on this stage. ><

6/10

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
ive had better experiences on other stages, but this is a good one. its slightly tilted, so stage spikes are made easier. if your facing one of his bad MUs, this is a great counter-pick. it helps to make foes such as falco or marth slower, while g&w isnt affected all that much. the small size of the stage gives foes (and you!) little places to retreat, and while falco may be trying to shdl you for a good approach, you can bucket his projectiles for ammo and a decent ko move.

final ratings:
5/10 regular play
8/10 counter-picking

Splice

Smash Hero
I think this stage is one of GaWs best against MK because the platforms really help his air game and allow him to spend less time on ground, because GaWs ground game is a lot worse than MKs, whereas his Air mobility and strategys can keep up with MK. Also that Dash Attack spike is awesome, I was so amazed the first time I found it out against a friend xD

In general I find this good against MK but MK can do some cool lag cancels because of the platforms but It shouldn't win the match lol.

Against Diddy I think this stage is the ****. I just find it so much easier to play on this stage against Diddy if I'm in a campy mood lol. Also GaW has a lot of control if he planks a little bit on this stage, He can hit enemies from quite far with Nair and has a lot of space under the stage.

The platforms are really just the right spacing too for GaW, the viability of his Nair increases tremendously on this stage. I also think Dair is a more confusing move the more platforms you have to land on, and they are all low so, situationally, I believe this betters Dair. And because you can stand on the platforms, this makes it easier to space with Bair/set up a nice Bair against IC's and Diddy and characters like that. Platforms have always helped GaW, there's only a few situations when they get in the way, but this stage has almost all the benefits of platforms and they are hardly ever a 'bad' issue for GaW.

I also really think it's worth noting how good I BELIEVE this stage can be against MK. The platforms make it harder for him to do that floaty-Dair thing and you don't have to face him on the ground. The platforms make it easier to bait a 'messy' MKs UpBs and Tornados and I do think it limits MK the tiniest amount, whilst not limiting GaW at all, so win-win. The Dash attack spike is also awesome.

Rating: 8

Characters:

Because of the platforms that help GaW immensely, the moving edges which makes some other characters have a little more trouble recovering (not GaW), the size of the stage (medium sized but close to small, medium roof i think, and smaller side boundaries), I believe this stage helps GaW against MK, Snake, IC's, Diddy? Wario (personally), D3, Space Animals, Pit... Kirby?... quite a lot of chars i guess, but also not for some, personally I hate the ZSS match up on this stage :( Don't really have an explanation. Also I am still unsure whether this stage is really good against Marth or really bad. It's definitely not in the middle lol.

Those are my opinions, I play on this stage a lot. This stage is a starter in Australia, is it the same for you guys?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think this is G&W's best stage.

One thing you guys might not know. You know how you can cancel onto the platforms by pressing down at the right time?

Well if you press down and shield at the correct time. You'll Jump and the instantly fall through the platform.(You won't even see your self land on it)

So when someone's is on the platform jump, cancel through and instantly N-air

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah this stage is actually really good, probably my most often used coz of it's consistency against many chars, the fact not many people ban it against me, and also it's a neutral <3

Probably not GaWs best, but it does come in handy a lot :)

Also that is a good tactic with the cancel through platform, although the problem is when you are against Marth or MK... and they know how to use it too... Much better for them than for us :(

Top Bottom