• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Damage to Keep your hitbox out

rhoads

Smash Rookie
Hello All,

I normally don't post here but after searching/not finding anything, I felt that this topic was worthy of discussion.

I believe that it is common knowledge that certain attacks for certain characters stay alive longer (and by that I mean the hitbox stays out longer) if they come in contact with something that takes damage. This can be your teammate, opponent or specific parts of certain stages.

This is particularly useful when the opponent begins to master the timing of your attacks attacks and punish (side-b spam cough).

For example: if you are on luigi mansion and you side b the support beams your whip will stay out longer. Mind you, this is not necessarily a good thing, as anyone who has pulled an upsmash on the weird platform stuff on norfair will tell you. Your animation stays out longer, giving other players more time to punish you if you miss. However if the opponent (snake?) always recovers high and airdodges onto the platform, keeping your smash out a little longer will punish them for being predicable.

Again, I know this has been known since N64 (pikachu's fsmash) and is somewhat common knowledge, but I believe that keeping this in mind allows you to manipulate your attacks and give you a usable advantage on luigi mansion, castle seige, norfair, yoshi island or even (but not really) smashville. Obviously it comes into play with teams often as well. Any thoughts on this/ how it can be used to our advantage with the wonderful side-b?

I believe that using this against falco on seige is huge. Also it makes mansion an even better stage for us (if it isn't banned).

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Probably didn´t need a new thread to discuss but w-e

This is most useful on brinstar IMO, both the tendrils and the cells in the middle can be useful if used correctly, and dropping a suit piece on the cells is really nice as well. It gives us more options on an already really good stage for us.

I´m starting to think seige is a great stage against Falco personally. The slope on the 1st and 3rd parts are good, and the second part is crazy good for us by stopping lasers and having **** tons of plats to maneuver on.

However the third is a nice long stage that Falco can camp well on. The second has a walkoff, which could be used against us with his CGs, though we have more opportunity to use them with our CG spanning more distance and our dash locks.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I think you meant most useful on mansion, nef (if that god forsaken stage is actually legal near you), its also nice on brinstar and seige.

It also makes our n-air and f-smash much better.

But as a quick warning don't forget the moves can still only hit ONCE, so If they block as soon as it hits its ALOT easier for them to punish the attack.

Gea

Smash Master
Multihits seem to be the most useful against stage objects (like Lucas' dsmash) since it punishes even well timed spotdodges. Just sayin.

Top Bottom