• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage creator may not be returning

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Judging by his lack of a comment, and how the stage builder in Brawl was very limited, it's likely that they are either working on a much better stage builder, or still debating whether or not they should include it. I'm fine whether they remove it or improve it, but I don't want the crappy one from Brawl to be brought back. Either give us a better stage builder, or don't give us a builder at all.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Remember when Stage Creator was supposed to let us build the perfect tournament stages? HAHAHA!

BSP

Smash Legend
I wasn't really a huge fan of stage builder, so I don't mind if it gets removed.

Arteen

Smash Lord
It sounds like he has no comment.

He's not going to talk about anything he's not ready to talk about. Ask him if Luigi will return and you'll get the same answer.

Revven

FrankerZ
Didn't the last stage editor lead to a security hole... P:M, hackmii, ect.

Yes, it did. But that wouldn't be a reason to remove it because that was also partly the Wii's fault as well.

Anyway, I don't really care. Stage builder sucked and any potential for it was squandered. They're not going to give us franchise parts to make whatever stage we want. If you want to play on stages made by fans, it's best to stick to modding Brawl; or you know play Project M.

We have access to this stuff already. They likely know this and they can't match it with anything in-game.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
I doubt anyone remembers me (been five years since the last time I showed myself here), but this would be sad news.
Hope Sakurai expands on Brawl's Editor. Especially with tablet-like controls using the WiiU Pad, creating stages would be a breeze!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I always had a fetish for these costum thingies. So I would be displeased if it will be removed at all.
I prefer being optimist and think they are going to improve it so much they can't tell it.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
One of my favorite features in smash bros, although I mostly stuck to making battlefield like stages, which is what the stage builder was really designed for, simple competitive friendly stages. I say screw it make the stage builder go full ****** this time around, add upside down slopes that'll just get in the way! That way we can make roofs that get in the way but at least have a smooth slope!

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't really bother me if it was left out. I'd gladly trade it for a single extra character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't care if it's left out. It was good for some stupid novelty stages, but nothing more. If they need to drop it in order to beef up content in other areas, that's fine by me.

Arteen

Smash Lord
The Brawl stage creator was half-assed, blatantly so. I'd love to see a more complete mode in SSB4.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
People who think it was half assed only tried to make giant stages covered in mushrooms and springs. For creating Smashville or Battlefield like stages it was perfect. On that note I hope to see the next stage builder give us more freedom on setting the borders so we can widen or lower the KO boundaries. Wouldn't mind some vaguely nintendo inspired assets for the stage buiilder though.
Many people want to be able to create and share their content in smash bros and the wii u is perfect for this opportunity.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Improve or remove really. As long as the default stages aren't too full of gimmicks like Brawl's were we should be find. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss it though.

Nick Schovitz

Smash Cadet
I'd be very disappointed if they left it out. I was pissed when my lil brother dropped the wii causing it to erase all my data and it took me a while to build those stages. if it does come back they will most definitely improve it.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Yes, it did. But that wouldn't be a reason to remove it because that was also partly the Wii's fault as well.

Anyway, I don't really care. Stage builder sucked and any potential for it was squandered. They're not going to give us franchise parts to make whatever stage we want. If you want to play on stages made by fans, it's best to stick to modding Brawl; or you know play Project M.

We have access to this stuff already. They likely know this and they can't match it with anything in-game.
Yeah I agree, If its there it won't matter. Everything custom can be achieved by modding to a greater extent. I'd rather have them add some extra features and options to training mode, then a stage builder.

Revven

FrankerZ
People who think it was half ***** only tried to make giant stages covered in mushrooms and springs. For creating Smashville or Battlefield like stages it was perfect.

But said BF/FD-like stages you could make were bland and uninteresting. That's why it's half-assed, because they don't give you any franchise identity... the aesthetics is what makes a stage. And they're definitely not going to give us anything else other than more generic level themes... similar to Mountain, Metal, and Cave themes from Brawl.

If we could create our own stages with the franchise aesthetics (i.e being able to make a Mario themed level) then there would be zero point in playing the stages they give us. Sakurai wants us to play on the stages they make, otherwise, what's the point in them being there? Anything we make we'd have bias for because it'd cater to our likes (and our likes tend to gravitate towards stages with simple platform layouts).

So yes, the stage builder was half-assed because of the limited options you had with it and the lack of aesthetic choices. Nothing they do can top what we're capable of with Brawl modding, there's literally no point in them trying to expand upon on it and waste resources that could be put elsewhere (like a training mode with tons more options than we've ever gotten).

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
No stage builder they make could top the kickass stages that people will mod in, but the stage builder, along with photos, provides us with new dlc everyday in Brawl keeping the game fresh.
Imagine how the dlc could be expanded on the wii u!
Imagine being able to view and download popular stages, replays and photos, and upload your own for others to download!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NO stage maker, despite both systems supporting touch controls, seems like a HUGE missed opportunity IMO.

It was a very fun aspect in Brawl, I hope it returns, but you can add custom images as backgrounds. (Or at least let you choose more)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
NO stage maker, despite both systems supporting touch controls, seems like a HUGE missed opportunity IMO.
I agree. Nintendo is not so stupid to not see that. They know they have to make use of the new controls as much as possible and this would do the job.
Plus they know that making awesome stages and posting photos of them on the internet would increase the popularity of the game. I hope this would encourage them to give us more stuff to make the stages with. Despite the fun I had with the previous one I can't deny it was pretty limitative.
Thought, a lot of people had fun with it: http://supersmashbros.ign.com/stages/list/name/asc/alpha=S/p9/
Just think of what they could do with an editor more than twice larger :awesome:

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I hope stage builder returns so it is really easy to hack. If the game is decent there'll be no need for any major projects like PM, or PSAs either, but textures and stages will always be great even on already spectacular games.
Plus, the ability to use a pic as a background, have much smaller grids, and rotate objects fully would make it 10x better anyways.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The title of this thread smacks of sensationalism on a British Tabloid-esque level - because Sakurai doesn't make a comment on the question, that gets interpreted as "may not be returning"? Last time I checked, every single game developer in the world does this; they reveal information about the game they're working on at a pace that they (and the publishers) see fit. If you asked Sakurai if Yoshi is coming back, he'd probably have given the same stock response, even though the idea of Yoshi not returning is absolutely absurd. Heck, if you asked Sakurai if Classic Mode is coming back he'd probably still give the same response. I think it'd be interesting to discuss whether or not the Stage Builder should return and how, but this article literally does not affect the likelihood of it returning in either a positive or negative way; all it really tells us is that Sakurai isn't willing to discuss the games features/modes yet (and why should he?).

That being said, I think a decent Stage Builder is long overdue, especially given that we've now got a touch screen to make stages on, which would make the whole process infinitely more intuitive - provided they actually put the effort in to improve the Stage Builder significantly (it always seemed to me like the Brawl Stage Builder was just testing the waters more than anything).

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Stage Builder was so limited in Brawl that I felt it took some unnecessary space on the disc. Either revamp the whole thing completely or get rid of it and use the disc space for something else.

if it does comeback however, we need the option to play on custom stages with friends online.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Without the stage editor, I wouldn't have my texture hacks.
But I still hope it returns, and 3ds and Wii U will hopefully be able to transfer custom stages back and forth.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I say they remake all the N64 stages with beautiful current-gen graphicks and make the pieces in them available for use in stage builder.

Plason

Smash Rookie
should improve it... making it so you can sculpt stages and add props from different franchises... as well as make it more interactive...
After you can create the stages it would be nice to be able to share with some friends or look at voted-to-be-popular-player-made-stages

LinkFromAFuture

Smash Rookie
I hope they understand how much fun stage editor adds to the game for some people. Editors are one of the best things in games for me, sometimes I spend more time with editors than actually playing the game.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Either greatly improve it, so much that people mass download stages and they become almost as popular as Nintendo's stages thus making the game more dynamic, or just not include it at all.

Brawl's Stage Builder felt way too limiting, and it felt like all one could create is a simple Final Destination, Battlefield, or Smashville clone. Why even use it if the Nintendo stages already offer the same thing, but with much better aesthetics? Smash 4 could definitely use a well designed custom stage builder, but I would have a strong feeling it'd have to be solely on the Wii U in order to make anything really warranting its existence. I'm fine with Wii U players making stages for both consoles, if it means more quality as opposed to limitations of the 3DS.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I hope they understand how much fun stage editor adds to the game for some people. Editors are one of the best things in games for me, sometimes I spend more time with editors than actually playing the game.
I'm understanding you since 1984. A lot of Commodore 64 games had that feature, and it was already fun back then.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
There were surprisingly few matches played on Final Destination at EVO.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Unless they make an effort to really step up the quality of the stage builder, I'm not really looking forward to its inclusion. The stages you could build with it were both underwhelming by design, gimmicky, and aesthetically plain.

Top Bottom