• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Control with Wolf

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Stage control is an important aspect of Wolf's zoning. In most matchups, Wolf tends to like controlling the middle of the stage. Successfully doing so accomplishes two things:
  1. Prevents him from getting easily knocked off the stage and gimped. You want to compensate for Wolf's crappy recovery and poor planking game.
  2. Gives him room to retreat and space. Wolf tends to like staying just outside his opponent's favorable melee range. When the opponent moves forward, Wolf can retreat and maintain that favorable range, perhaps baiting and punishing a whiff as well.
Thankfully, Wolf is extremely good at staying in this center area, largely in part due to his air speed. He has options many other characters lack, allowing him to safely dictate where he wants to fight.

To further clarify, with stage control zoning, the goal is to put yourself in a favorable position to attack rather than just attacking outright. I consider relying on successfully landing a move (such as Dthrow) as an attack. Whereas you can connect with attacks even in bad positions (almost anything on hit has enough knockback to help you regain control), you carry a far higher risk if you read your opponent incorrectly. The ideal then is to use stage control moves that are not dependent on a successful hit.

Bair:
A staple move, Bair has a relatively large amount of knockback when hitting a shield. Simply spacing Bairs that aren't too staled (stale Bairs have less shield knockback) can give you breathing room. Note that this includes all variations of rising and falling Bairs.​

FH Bair crossover FF AD:
One of the options of the Wolf Wall. The rising Bair pressures the opponent and the AD avoids attacks. As a bonus, you can attempt a jab/grab/dsmash/blaster afterwards.​

FH Shine to Flash Cancel/Double Jump crossover:
Invincibility on jump with relatively low lag afterwards. Use it when you're pressured, such as when you're too close to the edge for comfort or OoS when you feel like you're holding shield out for too long. On stages like Battlefield, you can Flash onto the top platform as well. If you opt for the double jump route and they give chase, you can space a Bair or just change directions in midair. Note that by using diagonals, you can move during FH Shine instead of going straight up.​

FH crossover:
Avoid an attack with vertical distance and land behind them. Usually done facing the opponent. If they stay in shield instead, you can space a Bair or turnaround Grab/Jab/Dsmash. If they give chase, you can change directions in midair and/or DJ away.​

SH footstool crossover:
This relies on the opponent being defense when expecting a SH FF Bair. As such, it's preferable if you are facing away as if you're about to Bair. You can then footstool jump crossover. It works better on taller opponents and can possibly avoid low attacks. If they give chase, you can space a Bair or DJ away, possibly changing directions in midair.​

SH Fair crossover:
Do not actually hit a shield with the Fair. This relies on the opponent shielding when they see the Fair and not reacting in time when it doesn't hit their shield. If the Fair actually interrupts an attack, the crossover puts you in a good position to chase them down.​

SH crossover:
Used against low attacks or shielding opponents. Usually done facing the opponent and followed up by a Bair or FF turnaround Jab/Grab/Dsmash.​

SHAD crossover:
Used to avoid slow attacks or projectiles. It's like a slower roll with more invincibility frames and less lag at the end.​

Roll behind:
A universal option. Wolf's roll is pretty average, but it's a great tool if not abused. If you successfully avoid an attack, punish them.​

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Speaking of wanting to be in the center of the stage, I was watching this recently. I've never fully understood why Omniswell likes Brinstar so much, but his wolf does a great job at controlling the stage there because of how small it is.

Wolf's planking game isn't bad... blaster planking is gay as **** lol

What about SH rising bair to double jump reflector? And I'm going to add this into the general sticky tomorrow, good thread as usual SP.

:059:

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Blaster planking uses your double jump. Get hit out of it and it's a stock. Wolf doesn't have multiple jumps to abuse projectile planking like Pit.

From what I understand, the purpose of Blaster planking is to force the opponent to get close enough to Wolf so that he can get back on the stage with moves that don't use his DJ (scar and jump). That way, if you guess wrong and they hit him out of those, he can still recover. The ledge is generally not a good position for Wolf to be in though.

SH Bair to DJ Shine doesn't give you a crossover, so it doesn't help your stage control. It does help if your rising Bair connects on a shield, which I already mentioned.

EDIT: Technically, running, DACUS, Fsmash, Scarring, and grounded Flash/Flash cancels can all crossover, but I didn't add them as they typically aren't used in a stage control fashion. I'm open to adding them if someone disputes this.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
my favorite stage control method is triple bair in two jumps.two bairs in one short hop and one in the second jump.u can trade the bair in the second jump for a fair,uair,or nair if u want to.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dthrow, especially at higher % is an amazing tool to control the stage.

:059:

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
With stage control zoning, the goal is to put yourself in a favorable position to attack rather than just attacking outright. I consider relying on successfully landing a move (such as Dthrow) as an attack. Whereas you can connect with attacks even in bad positions (almost anything on hit has enough knockback to help you regain control), you carry a far higher risk if you read your opponent incorrectly. The ideal then is to use stage control moves that are not dependent on a successful hit.

I'll edit the OP with this clarification later.

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
I personally love to use Wolf's side-b attack in the middle of Final Destination. They least suspect that you will edge guard them from such a distance.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Necro update to OP. I've been working on crossovers lately after getting destroyed trying to reach center stage against turtle.

I've been using the first 6 options a little more now, which can all be done from Wolf's optimal zone. Empty SH, SHAD, and rolls tend to be punished too easily.

I do want to bring special attention to SH footstool crossover, which I feel Wolf players should really use more often (especially against shield happy D3s who know how to zone jumpshines well). Note that a footstool does not use your second jump!

tekkie

Smash Master
my favorite stage control method is triple bair in two jumps.two bairs in one short hop and one in the second jump.u can trade the bair in the second jump for a fair,uair,or nair if u want to.
you dork its not two bairs in a shorthop its a SHbair to doublejump/bair at the same time to bair one more time.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
you dork its not two bairs in a shorthop its a SHbair to doublejump/bair at the same time to bair one more time.
I was actually going to say that, but you beat me to it. For a minute, I had thought, "Uh...I didn't know you could do two bairs in one SH. o.o"

Another nice guide, SP. Maybe more Wolves will adapt to the correct Wolf formula and play...safer. There will be less gimps in the future...save against me. I will gimped every match, and likely SD two times.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
It's more an update to an older guide. Before, the FH and SH crossovers was a single section. I expanded it to 5 sections in the update. Furthermore, I added the "change directions in midair" to several of the options as a method to deal with opponents who chase you after the crossover.

Also, SH footstool crossover needs to be tried out more. I don't see onstage footstools in videos.

As for safety, regardless of whether or not your style is aggressive or defensive, I think that characters with poor recoveries tend to like controlling the middle. Wolf is no exception to this.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Realistically most game options can be used to get back to center stage, but which ones will work depends absolutely on the situation. You gonna go ahead and list all the situations in which each option will work?

Top Bottom