• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Stage Builder - Now better than ever!

Do you guys want to make this the official stage builder idea thread, or would you like a new thread to post our ideas? The latter sounds far more organized. It would be great to have a thread dedicated to just posting and discussing ideas.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Do you guys want to make this the official stage builder idea thread, or would you like a new thread to post our ideas? The latter sounds far more organized. It would be great to have a thread dedicated to just posting and discussing ideas.
Maye we should make a separate thread for ideas.
I'd like to re-post the two old ones I just did along with some new ones for people to see. And I'd like to see other people's ideas too.

Do whatever. I originally posted this just to praise how great it looks.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
In Brawl, you could play custom stages online with friends. Is that the same case here?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm so glad we can use the free-form drawing and things to make our own stages, as well as the new themes and textures! I think I might make some stages from other games that didn't make the cut. Here's my idea for Sky Sanctuary from Sonic & Knuckles (sprite credit goes to SkyLight and Spriters' Resource):

(I apologize for the big image.)
The textures aren't going to be identical, of course, and the side/upper blast lines will extend a bit past the image. The thin platforms are pass-through, and the gray arrows mean that platform moves up and down so that characters like Little Mac can get back up. The clouds will be platforms with springs inside, to recreate the gimmick in the original stage. You'll be able to walk through the little "tunnel" areas in the towers, as well. I aimed to recreate the feel of the original stage, that being this massive paradise floating above the clouds, with tons of different places to go and things to do.

(Inb4 the weight limit/stage size make this impossible. :()

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Tower of Mastery? Spear Pillar?
I like that idea a lot. Not sure how to make a stage layout that works with that theme, though, but I'll try to come up with something! Either that or I'll recreate Saffron City's layout and name it after a different Pokemon city. Lucario's wall clinging and vertical recovery can work wonders there

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Does anyone have any ideas for any video game themed levels
I'm so glad we can use the free-form drawing and things to make our own stages, as well as the new themes and textures! I think I might make some stages from other games that didn't make the cut. Here's my idea for Sky Sanctuary from Sonic & Knuckles (sprite credit goes to SkyLight and Spriters' Resource):

(I apologize for the big image.)
The textures aren't going to be identical, of course, and the side/upper blast lines will extend a bit past the image. The thin platforms are pass-through, and the gray arrows mean that platform moves up and down so that characters like Little Mac can get back up. The clouds will be platforms with springs inside, to recreate the gimmick in the original stage. You'll be able to walk through the little "tunnel" areas in the towers, as well. I aimed to recreate the feel of the original stage, that being this massive paradise floating above the clouds, with tons of different places to go and things to do.

(Inb4 the weight limit/stage size make this impossible. :()
:p

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
You can't play custom stages online in Brawl at all without cheats I thought?
Wow, I believe you're right! I could've sworn I was playing Majora's Mask and other stages I created with online friends. Did I just spend too much time solo and pretending?? :(

{edit} that actually doesn't give me hope for Smash Wii U, rendering actually playing on my stages as worthless :( Unless Nintendo implements a feature that lets your friends download your stages and as long as you both have the same stage that hasn't been edited that it's able to be played on.

Wishful thinking maybe :(

Last edited:

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
Looks like custom stages aren't spared of having ugly, though so far very rare, glitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF85meVLRFs&list=PL5qdfUfmvhzHtQwNFmjYikcSOTLPec-hX#t=24

At 0:18, Zelda plows right through the mountain, 3DS Corneria style. That was...awful to see.
That looks like a platform the she could just drop through though. A la platforms on battlefield. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

btw, that stage looks awesome. Even though there are less actual things to put on the stages, the fact that you can draw whatever the hell you want is so awesome.

Edit: Wait, nevermind. I saw it. Yup, that's a glitch. Thought you were talking about the platform at the top for some reason.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That looks like a platform the she could just drop through though. A la platforms on battlefield. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

btw, that stage looks awesome. Even though there are less actual things to put on the stages, the fact that you can draw whatever the hell you want is so awesome.
Watch when she lands on and phases through the mountain in the lower area. That seems more like Battlefield's main platform than the smaller ones :p

And yeah, I'm loving the drawing aspect of the new builder too. I probably wouldn't use the missing features for my personal stages anyway (except maybe a Mario 3(D World) tank-style level with the conveyor belts).

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068

Barrels obviously replace the cannons.

I'm also gonna recreate something from A Link to the Past.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
The thing that disappoints me the most about Stage Builder, which Gamexplain showed in recreations of past stages, is the inability to add background elements for aesthetic reasons. I'll use Temple as an example again to show what I mean.

Let's say I wanted to take the leftmost structure from this stage and make it is own separate stage. That's nice and all, but it'll look much less pleasing than it does here/ On the left corner you see a pass-through platform "connected" to the main stage with some pillars that don't have anything to do with gameplay. It looks nice, right? In stage builder it would just be a disconnected pass-through platform. The same goes too for the pass-through platform on the right side of that structure, and the actual temple behind it. If we could draw in background elements, the stage builder would have allowed us to make much more fleshed out, fuller stages with no impact on the actual gameplay. Instead, we can only make soulless, if functional, replicas of what we have envisioned.

Hell, my original stage idea involves lava that should go from slightly below the main platform all the way down to the blast zone. I fear I would only be able to do that in function by making a thin, solid platform from the left boundary to the right one and putting lava on top. It would have the same function, but it would look like **** compared to my initial idea. Whats your take on that and how would we overcome this limitation?

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
While I haven't saved a stage yet, I can confirm that while playing with friends (in a lobby right now) you can select the Custom Stages tab. Though I am not sure you can actually select a stage, I don't see why not as the tab is not only there, but selectable.

Can someone confirm? This would be great.

FellaMcFellerson

Smash Rookie
NNID
FellaMcFellerson
3DS FC
1332-8566-3095
While I haven't saved a stage yet, I can confirm that while playing with friends (in a lobby right now) you can select the Custom Stages tab. Though I am not sure you can actually select a stage, I don't see why not as the tab is not only there, but selectable.

Can someone confirm? This would be great.
I can confirm that if you have custom stages made, it is possible to use them when playing with friends. I did it with a friend about an hour ago on a Battlefield clone I made.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Yep, I can confirm it myself that stage builder levels are indeed playable online. Your online friends don't even need a copy of the stage, you can just select it on a whim and the game can play it!

With that said though, I'd still love to have a way to obtain custom levels other people has made. I know it'll be available via update but is it still possible to somehow exchange stages by uploading the custom stages files from SD cards from outside of the game?

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
You can't create ceilings because the game spawns you on top of them when you die.

Much sadness.

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
I cant be the only one who drew a **** on their wii u game pad for the first custom stage

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Trying to recreate City in the Sky entrance from Twilight Princess. The cannon sends you to your....demise. Work in Progress!

Last edited:

Alses

Smash Apprentice
Do items spawn on lava?
Don't think so no.. Only things like the smash ball that moves through everything. I've already made a few maps, including the classic box and put lava on top. So far there haven't been too many glitches except with CPUs.. They tend to find more glitches than I can recreate xD

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I wish there was some exploit to make platform tiles as background tiles. It would be so nice to be able to pretty up the stage a bit.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just created a topic specifically for showing off custom stages while leaving this one for general discussion of the mode, I hope I'm not in the wrong and that no one minds.

Top Bottom