• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBMB-Slash February 10th and 11th 2007 Rochester,NY

super_nintendo

Smash Journeyman
And so, we decided to bring you another festive event............

SSBMB-Slash

Brought to you by: SNES and Shoklan
The final chapter in the SSBMB (Super Smash Bros. Melee Bash) Gamecube tournaments.

Slash's events consist of:

Slash: Singles Tourney, Doubles Tourney, Crew Tourney

When-February 10th-11th, 2007
11:00 AM-5:00 PM (Both Days)

Cost-$15 singles, $10 each doubles, $4 Crews

Where-Greece Public Library, Greece, NY (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...+Boulevard&city=Greece&state=Ny&zipcode=14612)

Why-We need winter Smash!

Information-

Hotels-Please Mapquest Motel 6, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, and the Marriot in Greece,NY for local, cheap hotels.

Food-Pizza and Soda will be served on both of the tournament days.

Prizes-Will be a broken pot into prizes of
1st:-60%
2nd-30%
3rd-10%

Rules-

Singles- Under Review
Doubles- See singles (aka Under Review)
Crews- Under Review

Schedule-

February 10th
9:00-11:00 Set up/free play
11:00 1:30 Singles Tournament
1:30-2:15 Lunch and free play
2:15-3:30 Singles Tournament continued
3:30-4:00 Pot breaking and prize presentation
4:00-5:00 Free play

February 11th
9:00-10:00 Set up/ free play
10:00-12:30 Doubles Tournament
12:30-1:30 Lunch/free play
1:30-2:30 Doubles Tournament continuued (If needed, if not, free play and Doubles prize presentation)
2:30-4:30 Crew Tournament
4:30-5:00 Pot breaking and prize presentation

Extra Information-

-We need as much Gamecubes, TVS, game discs, and mem. cards as possible! ! (If you can bring any of these items, you need to be the location by 9:00 to set up!)

-No modded controllers! You know the rules!

-I will be creating a new forum for SSBMB-Slash, so check back soon for updates.

-Please contact me or Shoklan if you have any questions or concerns-
AIM: green hobo28 (SNES) Darkchild9891666 (Shoklan)
E-Mail: contact_ssbmb@yahoo.com
Or you can PM me or Shoklan.

I can't wait to se you all there!

shoklan

Smash Journeyman
Sweetness. So it's finally up.

I hope everybody comes ready to play their hardest. I'll be helping run this baby, which means no playing for me (except maybe a couple friendlies...)

If you guys want a signature for this, then I'll be happy to make one since I'm absolutely bored right now. Oh, and I might get another of my friends making them as well. Hurray for PikaAc3!

Snes, you can use geek week if you want to. www.geekweek.tk

shoklan

Smash Journeyman
Apparently I'm an idiot. It needs to be the 10th and 11th. The 12th is a Monday. My calandar lied to me >.<

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Shame on you for misleading us, Shoklan. Shame, shame.

While I'm here, can someone PM me what all happened to the last tournament? I'd just like a figure of about how many people went and whatnot. Thanks.

shoklan

Smash Journeyman
Shiri, all information regarding the previous tournament is outside of my scope of knowledge due to a condition known as an "Absence of Presence," which from this point I will be reducing to "AoP."

N64

Smash Champion
Neat! this one better happen : ).
We'll try to be there. How big is each crew going to be allowed to be? Any decision on this yet?

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I think everything could be squeezed into one day, Saturday, since I expect about 25-30 people max to show up and the venue size infers that participation amount. I wont be able to join since I have bday parties and whatnot this weekend; however, most people I've talked to preferred having it all in one day because of bad weather, gas prices and PikaPika!

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
And back to this actually being Case (because this library doesn't like you to, you know, log out of smashboards so someone else can log in)

Hopefully peeps are bringing TVs and cubes. Cause we have none at the moment. I forgot mine, and collin's GCN is absolutely toasted.

It's really quiet... and boring. And there's lots and lots of old people. :]

DarkKnight2324

Smash Apprentice
So basically, you guys may want to work on your tournament hosting skills as consoles and t.v.'s are required, while old people are not XD

Did anyone show up at all?
Is anyone going tomorrow for doubles?
Should I bother coming out?

DarkKnight2324

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, well I suppose it's not too much of a shame that I'm being forced to visit my sister's new house tomorrow. Guess I won't be missing much.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Did anything happen today? Someone needs to step their game the **** up and let us know.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Yeah.
This was highly disappointing... very much so.
I guess I got some good naps on the day the first day was supposed to happen though.
We ended up being the ONLY people there, just us four... stuck there half the day.
We waited for N64 and the others to show, so that way they could at least follow us home and not make their entire trip a waste.
But after deciding they definitely didn't seem to be showing, we finally went home.

SNES, no offense man, but definitely needed more promotion and planning dude. As much as Shoklan was the co-host, you should still show up man.

I really wanted to see this happen too. But ah well... did anything happen today?
I'm presuming not.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'll say this much, but this is coming from someone who didn't go, so take it for what it's worth.

Kubuu, Kelvin, and I have worked hard to get the Smash scene in WNY up to what it is. If anybody is going to run tournaments, that's fine. As a matter of fact, that's exceptional! But please be responsible about it. The terrible thing about our region is that everyone is so far away from each other--if you're going to convince people to spend time, energy, and money to visit your events, make sure that you deliver according the hype you put forth.

I'm not the judge, jury, and executioner for tourneys in this area and I don't expect to be. But as a fellow organizer (and someone who would have convinced four of my friends to spend time and money traveling to this), I think something needs to be said. We let the last one slide. But this can't keep happening. Not only does this immediately discredit organizers in our region, it hurts the credibility of future events.

I hope I'm not coming off as a total @$$. I really do appreciate the effort that seems to have been put into this. I also don't mean to make this sound like a flubbed tournament will ruin WNY Smash forever and ever. I just want to stress the fact that running events properly in our area is important for morale, having something to look forward to, and also for gas money/food money/practice time spent (for those of you seeking tangible components of my argument).

Remember, communication is key. If your events aren't going to happen, let us know. More importantly, if anybody wants to run a tournament and needs help...PLEASE ASK FOR HELP. This much is true; you can never have too much help. Anyway, I don't mean for this to be a lecture on how to run events. I just wanted to put out what was on my mind. I'm not expecting anyone to respond to this and I don't want SNES and Shoklan to think I'm calling them out or that I expect them to "answer" for what happened this weekend. This is strictly what I've had on my mind since the last SSBMB event was canceled (both events being ones I had made plans to go to).

That's it for me. If you guys run an event in the future, I hope it goes well. If I have assurance that it will actually happen, I'll try to bring as many people as I can.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
100% in agreement Yannick.
Like I said in my previous post, I really wanted to see this happen.
I'll say it outright, give it another shot by all means. But make sure you promote and work extremely hard on it. Simply posting a thread and mentioning to a couple people doesn't guarantee anyone showing up. I was really surprised to see that N.OW was the only person other than our little four-man ragtag group to show. But I guess we can all learn from mistakes. I already called off one of my tournaments I planned to have due to funding. But that's besides the point.

Obviously, it's just a matter of getting the word out there and being a bit more responsible, man. It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to put a listing in the thread of people who would show up with a TV, GCN, or both guaranteed. Just look at what was done wrong this time around, and fix those problems next time. Sure, it was real disappointing seeing this, for a lack of better words, flop. But I'm sure you could organize a good event to make up for this.

I really don't have much to add, since Yannick covered way more than I could. But it's just my two cents into this.

Top Bottom