• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM Tutorials: How to Become GOOD at Super Smash Bros.

Photo by Rob Paul (@tempusrob)
One of, if the not the most the asked question in all of Smash Bros. is, "How do I become good at Smash Bros?" This week, SSBM Tutorials is here to answer that question. Watch as they uncover the key to success in Smash and nearly every game in the world -- it may come as a surprise to some.

Comments

A lot of people are going to think that this vid is just clickbait and that it's just some simple statement like "git gud" or something similar.

It's not. It actually is a video explaining how to get good at Smash. It's a video I really recommend you watch because it's actually a help as opposed to clickbait.

This video is seriously not even clickbait. What this explains is something I started teaching myself for about a year now and GOD the jump in my improvement was staggering. One of those things that you never really think about, but when you do, it changes how you play for the better. Period.

And FYI, this does not just apply to Melee, as they explain in the video.

Last edited:
This is a very cool video, it's not really about tech, but about mindset. I've been trying this out and it's helped me a bit,(but it will probably take a while to master) however I still catch myself auto-piloting when I'm getting wrecked. But it's got some good tips, adaptation is a tough concept, but hopefully everyone gets some use out of this.
Also Nice work on the vid, SSBM Tutorials.

Last edited:
I think this is very good advice. It can be pretty challenging to constantly adapt, though. That's what sets the best apart from the rest!

Yeah! Is not like adapting every now and then... Is more like adapting constantly. Now i understand more. :o

All of these headlines always relate to what I'm feeling Smash-wise, and I couldn't agree more on this one. You can master wavedashing and the technical aspects all you want, but you have to adapt to your opponent, and it all comes down to mind-games.

I used to think in order to be good you just have to play really fast and master all technical aspects of the game, but that's not really it at all.

Last edited:
I find this video problematic. There is nothing wrong with the basic message, in that you must adapt during a match to be good, the problem is how they sell it. They present 'hard reads' and talk about them in the same light as a soft read. They don't mention anything about risk/reward. But that isn't the biggest problem, they are positing (especially when they bring up Borp*) that adaptability is the one and only factor to your performance as a player.

I think most competitive players understand that they have to adapt, although they might not realize or be at a level in which they can, but A LOT more players don't realize the importance of execution and how it affects them. This is something which this video heavily discounts, almost to the level of saying it doesn't matter. People don't realize that adaptability can only happen when you have the proper tools (and can rely on them).

Want to know a way that will make you able to adapt better really fast? By simulating certain situations in training mode, learning your good options, and honing them. You will find that by doing this, it's much easier to make an actual decision regarding the strategy you use during a match than if you were simply just winging it. It also makes 'winging it' easier too, because if you put your time in, you will know what you can and can't get away with.

My point is execution is important and most players would get more out of solo training with 20XX than playing someone of roughly even skill level, assuming they know how to properly train tech. It should not be written off.

On Borp:
1: Borp's level of execution is high. His tech level isn't. By this I mean that while he is only doing basic things, he rarely flubs a tech. There is A LOT we can learn from this, in that your rate of execution of a particular action should be a part of your decision making.

2: Simple is sometimes better. I think people often forget about basic solutions to problems, and how they could be better than the standard in some situations. We should always evaluate the meta, and our options/decisions.

3: Borp would be better if he raised his technical skill:
There are so many things that Borp could do better if he put in the time. I think part of the reason he does so well is because it requires much more adaption on his opponent's part than for him to adapt to his opponent's. They simply aren't used to his efficient simplicity, and it's such a big difference between how he plays and other Sheik's. That only gets you so far, though, and you are in essence relying on the inability of your opponent rather than your own skill.

Last edited:
I want to become good at all of the Smash games. 64, Melee, Brawl, PM, Smash 4, you name it.
Unfortunatly, this is easier said than done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom