• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB LAN tournament? (UK)

KONSPIRACY

Smash Rookie
This is my first post on here, so first of all...hello everyone! :)

I'd like to see how many of you would be interested in an SSBB LAN tournament in the UK? If you could leave your thoughts, feedback and suggestions in this thread it would be highly appreciated.

MatchBox360 XL Summer 2008 will take place on 25-27th July at Cranmore Park (Birmingham, UK). Having sold out our first 4 events and with over 450 Xbox 360 gamers having attended in March, we have now moved to a larger venue and I'm pleased to confirm that for the first time we will be featuring the Wii with Super Smash Bros Brawl.

SSBB will be featured as freeplay and depending on demand at the event, we may do some tournaments and consider adding SSBB to the official XL lineup at future events (next one is currently being scheduled for November).

More information on the event in July can be found on our website and forums:

http://www.matchbox360.co.uk/
http://community.matchbox360.co.uk/

If you would like to contact me direct, please feel free to do so:

enquiries@matchbox360.co.uk

Please leave your feedback and hope to see you online or at XL soon! ;)

Adihash

Smash Rookie
I take it XLeague will be invloved in the filming and coverage of this SSBB tournament, along with the 360 tournaments, Kon?

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
I won't be coming to this but definatley would of if there was a tournament (with sensible rules) involved.

Me and my friend have been looking for ages for a Brawl tournament located somewhere within the Midlands. :3

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
I think he just means offline. 8 player ffa's in brawl would be chaos x_x

Do we need to buy an admission ticket to play brawl, even though there won't actually be a Tournament for it? I was thinking of going just to promote brawl and have a bit of fun.

Edit: Might actually enter the CoD ffa.... Hm >_>

KONSPIRACY

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still in recovery but I can confirm that over gamers attended the event last weekend, and SSBB on freeplay seemed to be very popular. Most players seemed to want to play 2v2 though which came as a surprise tbh.

If we were to add SSBB to the tournament line-up, it would be with competitive rules something along the lines of this: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=158001

We are always open to suggestions from the community so would be happy to consider any feedback from you guys. We would also need staff who would be interested in helping to manage/referee the tournament. Please email me direct if you're interested: konspiracy@matchbox360.co.uk

For those of you interested, heres a promo video from our event in March: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0MAooSoxOJ0&feature=related

Anyone attending our last event would have seen the amazing new venue we have in Birmingham, and a full programme will be televised on XLEAGUE in a few weeks (Mike, Tommy and Steve attended to record footage from the event).

Basically we have the potential to create the largest SSBB offline tournaments in the UK with at least 64 players, so please keep this thread bumped so we can determine interest and I'll be popping back to answer any questions.

ps this isnt a pipe dream...it will become reality if the SSBB community support it!!!

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Im already in some xleague brawl tourney, dosen't seem to be going amazingly well because majority of the people aren't even turning up for matches. The problem is they seem A HELL LOT more interested in xbox shooters and football games so i doubt smash is in their interest. They even took away the studio finals and the whole thing is online now

COEY

Smash Lord
I agree the ruleset isn't correct but the interest in making brawl work at future events is still a good idea. I mean as it is some of the players that came to TKI are now also practicing melee just because of fun they've had and what current melee players have had to say on the subject. Interest for the community can only be a good thing imo.

I know you only said that the rules are wrong Euan and you might even agree with most of what i have just said.

Hao

Smash Journeyman
Although I hate Brawl infinitely but at least get "proper" tournament rules. 1v1, 4 stock, time limit 8:00min with certain stages banned.

I assume there is ZERO chance of Melee?

COEY

Smash Lord
Yea that's why i made sure :)

And Brawl is usually 3 stock anyway isn't it? It was at TKI.

KONSPIRACY

Smash Rookie
The rules I linked were obviously only a suggestion. I wont pretend to know SSBB at all competitively hence why I made a request for staff as well, so if they are not suitable then we'd be happy to take onboard your feedback and create the most suitable rules from the community feedback.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
This is my first post on here, so first of all...hello everyone! :)

I'd like to see how many of you would be interested in an SSBB LAN tournament in the UK? If you could leave your thoughts, feedback and suggestions in this thread it would be highly appreciated.

MatchBox360 XL Summer 2008 will take place on 25-27th July at Cranmore Park (Birmingham, UK). Having sold out our first 4 events and with over 450 Xbox 360 gamers having attended in March, we have now moved to a larger venue and I'm pleased to confirm that for the first time we will be featuring the Wii with Super Smash Bros Brawl.

SSBB will be featured as freeplay and depending on demand at the event, we may do some tournaments and consider adding SSBB to the official XL lineup at future events (next one is currently being scheduled for November).

More information on the event in July can be found on our website and forums:

http://www.matchbox360.co.uk/
http://community.matchbox360.co.uk/

If you would like to contact me direct, please feel free to do so:

enquiries@matchbox360.co.uk

Please leave your feedback and hope to see you online or at XL soon! ;)

argh more travelling , :urg:

COEY

Smash Lord
Kon did you get my email? And it's good that you came here to get advice on rulesets, etc... Will make sure the playing field is even for all entrants.

And Edwin you've already got enough **** in London :p Nothing wrong with a nice coach ride :)

Btw i think rules at TKI were 3 stock, 6 min limit (which came under a little dispute possbly should be 7...), no items. FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshis, PS1 on random for first game. With some other stages on counter pick list. Double elim bracket with advanced slob picks with best of 3 sets until winners, losers and 1st set of grand final. If there needs a 2nd set of grand final best of 7. No bans on characters or anything like that, and if a player thinks his opponent has counter picked in the first match of the set he can force a double blind pick with help of a neutral party.

That's all i can think of now of top of my head hope it helps :)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Loads of people banned it though.

Just saw this now.

Looks quite interesting actually, I'm considering to go.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Yeah i was one of those people, i don't agree with PS1 or Lylat cruse on random, for various reasons>_>

COEY

Smash Lord
Yea forgot Lylat was off top of my head, although i don't agree lylat is a good stage reminds me alot of melee battlefield. PS1 maybe is neutral but seeing as how Kone ran the tourney and just happens to love PS from melee it was on at TKI. PS1 is definitely a counter stage though.

Edwin glad you could see my point of view.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
lol, anything to get to the 2000 mark right? 1 more to go:p

KONSPIRACY

Smash Rookie
argh more travelling , :urg:
We have players travelling from across Europe to come to XL...so a little trip up the motorway is no excuse really tbh! :laugh:

Got your email Coey and will reply soon.

For those of you wondering what this XL business is all about, heres a link to promo video (filmed in March) and photo gallery from the event last weekend:

Promo video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0MAooSoxOJ0

Galleries: http://picasaweb.google.com/www.XLGaming.co.uk

Keep the feedback coming folks! :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
its mostly for xbox gamers :( .

so the turn out for brawl wont be much
Why are you being a prick, just come with us it will be fun. And then people will finally see that I am better then you because all of these noobs think that you are the best at brawl when I destroy you all the time and you know I am better then you loool. I want my title back.

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
So is there actually going to be a Brawl tournament in Birmingham now?

I know a few great Brawlers in the Midlands area who would be completely psyched to go. Is there going to be a pot?

I go to university in Leeds in a months time, so hopefully this will be before then. Screw missing freshers for a Smash tourney. Haha.

Top Bottom