• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ssb64 & Ssbm

Thino

Smash Master
Its been almost a year since I have Melee , I enjoy both games even if I have a slight preferecence for SSB64 , mostly due to the lack of opponents in Melee I think. Since then I always tried to keepmy lvl up with both games, scared by the fact if I play one too much, I start sucking at the other.
This thread is for those who play both SSB64 & Melee competitively i mean with advanced techs .
what kind of problem or nuisances do you encounter :

1) when switching from SSB64 to Melee?
2) when switching from Melee to SSB64?

I start with listing mine :
when switching from SSB64 to Melee
  • Timing L-cancel, wallteching
  • Jigglypüff rest's hitbox
  • bad habit from SSB64 , where I ledgehop by pressing down instead away from the ledge , dont have any problem with it in SSB64 but in Melee I often end up having to use my UpB with fastfallers
  • ForwarB to death with Falco and Fox <_<
  • Grapple beam/hookshot instead of aerial (that goes with timing L-cancel I think)
  • When you quick attack Up with Pika, he faces right in SSB64 but he faces left in Melee <_<
when switching from Melee to SSB64
  • No , I never ever ever try to wavedash in SSB64, blasphem.
  • I try to airdodge with yoshi tho <_<
  • dashgrabbing doesnt work with falcon is the opponent is too close <_<
  • I Z-cancel better(???)
  • I always think about fastfalling thru the platform , then on the last moment i remember i must Z drop thru them , screwing up my next moves
also what character do you think as the most SSB64ish? my vote goes to Falco, his moves , his style is more SSB64 Fox than melee Fox. this is my longest post , its tiresome <_<

_kSo_

Smash Master
I had the same issue when i was going from ssb64 to melee. if no one remembers, while i was at school i had a few posts asking if there were any ssb64 players at my school. No luck finding anyone. So i proceeded to work on a little melee, kuz thats what they played over there. Eventually i started to play a lot with CunningKitsune (awesome how he goes to my school right?). So yea, I play falco kuz he's the most 64-character like. (fox). I like him kuz his laser stuns, and i think thats the only reason i prefer him over fox. In 64 I play my fox like i play my falco in melee and vice versa.

a few things i try to do (but doesnt work) when playing both games too much:
- SHFFL'ing in 64
-SHDL'ing in melee
-spot dodging in 64
-using fair as a drop down/jump up move off the ledge
-using drop down/ jump up double laser as a getup attack with fox in 64 (always goes over the person, but i suppose if you drop down a little further and time it correctly it would work similarly to SHDL)

thats all i can think of for now. good post thino. i enjoyed talking about melee in a not so positive way sometimes :)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Some think game and watch plays like ssb64. I dont but some ssb64 players use him. But more ssb64 players use falco. I do and alot of others do also. He's so old skoolish XD

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
SSB64 to Melee

Screw up doing so many u tilts-dair-utilt-dair, instead oif doing nair and backairs (Yoshi)
Try to spike oponents in the last frame... but in melee the fair has more lag (Yoshi)
Miss a LOT Z-cancel (Yoshi)
Uses a lot of throws (All)
Screws up with jigly hitbox when she rest to peace...

Melee to SSB64

Many movements i use in melee are screwed up...
Yoshi hasnt go airdodge :/
Try to make Jigly fly more than he can... suicidating >_>
Try to shoot Samus misiles.... but i cant
Try to use the C-stick... but i can't (LOL)
Cant do quickfall after a attack... screws me :/

_kSo_

Smash Master
Oh yea yoshi fan made me realize another reason i liked falco. basically it's fox with a spike (cant get any better than that; but it gets worse, kuz his recovery is pretty bad). not only is it a spike, but it comes out immediately rather than needing a charge up time for every all the other spikes. it is similar to ness's spike in ssb64

*edit* Hoo rah 400 posts!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I play both competitively. I don't have any problem switching between the two. Seems as though the feel of each controller triggers the correct muscle memory for each game.

I actually have far more trouble switching from SSB64 online to console SSB64 than I do from ssb64 to melee or vice versa.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Seems as though the feel of each controller triggers the correct muscle memory for each game. .

yea, thats the same with me, actually. I just do some of the things i meantioned above out of instinct. but I dont try to like wavedash or shfflc when i do aerials kuz theres like no c-stick there.

Top Bottom