• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 Match Videos

DevMBC

Smash Ace
Originally posted by bdlink
that guy you were playing against looked like he had never seen you play with link before. He had some skills but it seemed he really had no stratagy. There really is no excuse to look that bad being picachu when you are playing against link, especially on the kirby level. Plus, where are the weapons and level variation. How do you not get bored playing the same stage w/ no weapons. If picachu gets link off the edge, link should die if picachu has any kind of skills. But not bad, if your ever in alabama or atlanta let me know, id be interested in playing you.
O_____o;

moogle

Smash Ace
Take Isai's melee skills and double or triple them, so Ken or Azen couldn't beat him. That's the way he is in ssb64. Out of anyone in the US, only his friends in San Jose can beat him with any sort of consistency (maybe 10-15% of the time). My winning percentage against Isai is more like 3%. But hey, that's better than most people.

Another thing... ssb64's tiers are much tighter than melee's, i.e. the difference between Pikachu and Link in 64 is much less than the difference between Sheik and Pichu in melee.

Ok, I'm done defending myself :D

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Originally posted by moogle

Another thing... ssb64's tiers are much tighter than melee's, i.e. the difference between Pikachu and Link in 64 is much less than the difference between Sheik and Pichu in melee.

O____o;

um The tiers in ssb64 are much more spread out and more prominent. Isai is just that good. :p

SLaKKiCHu

Mercury, Solace
BRoomer
WTF was that? Wrong about what? About you being good?

How about you spend a little time next time to decide to post here and explain what the **** you mean when you make a statement?

malva00

Smash Master
Originally posted by SLaKKiCHu
WTF was that? Wrong about what? About you being good?

How about you spend a little time next time to decide to post here and explain what the **** you mean when you make a statement?
Learn how to read lol j/k >.> I'll learn how to post messages one day XD. He didn't say I was good. He said "Isai is just that good" that doesn't mean I'm just "good" it means I'm good so I make it seem like the tiers aren't so spread out. So if you said "About you being just that good?" that would be more accurate >____________>

So I said he is wrong. Which he is.. because the tiers are not much more spread out in ssb64. You can find out once you really know how to play the game. Everything he mentions in his post is incorrect(it wasn't many sentences) except maybe the faces.. I'm sure he really felt that way or else he wouldn't have put them there.

smashfighter

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by moogle
Take Isai's melee skills and double or triple them, so Ken or Azen couldn't beat him. That's the way he is in ssb64. Out of anyone in the US, only his friends in San Jose can beat him with any sort of consistency (maybe 10-15% of the time). My winning percentage against Isai is more like 3%. But hey, that's better than most people.
****, isai is a beast, i wanna play against him, and get owned :(

malva00

Smash Master
Originally posted by bdlink
his videos are sped up too....
how fast do you go through controllers?
I've been using the same controller for about 2 years, and it is still pretty good.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
:( I feel stupid :cry: But yes I really did feel that way. Most people I've talked to agree with me that the tiers are more noticable in the first one, but I guess you know best.:D

bdlink

Smash Rookie
Since ive played the 64 version about a thousand time more then the gamecube one my opinion may be biased. But in the 64 version, there are certain charectors that match up better against other charectors. For example, donky kong is very good to use against link because he has a very quick grab, and his moves are some of the only that outweigh links. But if you were to switch to captain falcon and fight donky kong, falcon is faster and his combos can make a big donky kong look very foolish.

hopkins56

Smash Rookie
alittle challenge

I am an excellent super smash brothers player. But I can still not beat with any constitiency this character that we refer to as "the One" here in Maryland. It sucks that you live in california, but could u send me some recent videos of you playing so that I can see how you compare to "The One" who also plays pikachu, thanks.

malva00

Smash Master
Hopkins I'll be in Virginia for a big melee tournament January 29-30 maybe we could play there? It's the first MLG tournament of the season(ssbm not ssb64). Check the tournament room in the MLG DC topic for info or check www.mlgpro.com.

And I made a good amount of combo videos you can aim me at malva00 for them.

Kami

Smash Cadet
Well, this is my first post on this board, but I've been reading for a while. I got SSB64 when it came out in Japan (I was living there) and played religiously basically for the whole time it's been out (when melee came out we switched to it, but we all got bored because we felt that 64 was tighter in control and balance between characters and switched back. Also, we didn't know about wavedashing or anything, having played the 64 version for like 4 years or something, and were too set on rolling. That's changed, but we still play the 64 version now and then.) I can play well.

There are a few things to note. The tiers ARE tighter. Rolling is INVALUABLE. Sex kick isn't quite as good for most characters, because this game isn't as much about small hits as it is about combos. For instance, with Ness, dair and uair are his air moves, because they come out fast (ness was nerfed by increasing the delay time on his air attacks), have good priority, and can be comboed HARD. Dair smashes them to the ground from the air, dair again to knock them up from recoil, and most of the time you'll be able to uair to kill them or dair to get them into the percent range you need them in. Also, Dair is a very good spike. (Side note: Ness' main strategy is dair juggling and winning roll wars with his insanely fast and powerful throw, which can be comboed easily into a spike by edges at the lower percentages.)

Because there is no air or ground dodge, if you can dominate in the air, you win 90% of matches. Jigglypuff's main strategy in the 64 version is Dair, utilt, usmash/down b, (depending on what percentage) - this requires you to be able to keep your opponent under you at most times. Because all they can do to avoid it is roll or attack you from below, they won't be able to combo you well, and their only chance is to hit you with a high priority move that hits upward - which are mostly easily dodged by a simple jump. Also, if you hit them too high with your utilt, uair has the power of a smash attack for Jigglypuff. A KEY THING TO NOTE: JIGGLYPUFF CAN KILL MOST CHARACTERS WITH USMASH, UAIR, AND DOWN B AT ABOVE 100%. THE COMBO DOES ROUGHLY 40% SO THIS IS NOT HARD TO ACHIEVE.

(This is turning into a guide kinda. I'm gonna do one for the characters I know well enough, which is basically everyone but Mario, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, and to some extent, Kirby - I just never learned his nuances, he's one of the best characters in the game but I never liked his style of play. I'll still try to give some advice. I did teach my friend, even though I couldn't play him well.)

Link's strategy is all about his boomerang and his fair/bair. Sex kick is decent, but only if you have no time for the uber high priority/knockback fair. The great thing about both of these attacks is that they hit twice. If you practice with Link for a while, you will become used to hitting with the second strike right before you land, making your recovery time extremely small. Also, your boomerang skills should improve greatly with practice. Learn how to control the speed and trajectory of his boomerang, and also begin to combo it with his bomb, throws, and smashes. Forwardb, downb, throw at the right time, and you can get your bomb to explode directly over any spot you want it to. This is useful for edge guarding and attacking someone who likes to crouch near ledges. Forwardb, grab is very useful, as the boomerang knocks them up far enough so they can't counter and have to do a fall recovery, but low enough so that you can easily grab them. Also, utilt can be used to juggle someone until they get knocked too high due to percentage, then double jump into a dair directly on them (you should jump twice so that you just touch your opponent and pull out the sword in the middle of them).

I'll finish this up later. Until then, any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Kami

Smash Cadet
Yoshi is my favorite character to play in the 64 version. There is so much you can do with Yoshi. Yoshi is god with his tilts and aerials. Sex kick is... well, sex kick. Not a move I use a lot, but it is good if you need to keep them away from you and don't want to use fair. Utilt is used as a launcher or a chain to most of his combos (for example, come in with dair or fair, utilt, fair to chain into another dair to utilt or simply bair) because it's fast, hits a wide range, launches them perfectly, and cancels basically any attack that's not a Donkey punch or Falcon punch (although I have seen it happen). Ftilt is used to set up spikes. This move, at anywhere from 30-70ish percent on most characters, will launch them right into the sweet spot for fair - if you do this by an edge, it's game over. If not, you smash them into the ground and follow up with either a dair to utilt combo starter or a dtilt to running tackle, which normally sends them flying across the screen. Dtilt - I originally found out how powerful this was from messing around with Yoshi on Hyrule. At 0%, it can knock them 3/4 the way across the main platform, and it does 10%. It's amazingly fast, and Yoshi looks funny as **** when he does it (hold down. tap a. laugh.) As if enough hasn't been said about the fair already, it's one of Yoshi's best moves. Spike, part of most of his combos, fast recovery if you time it right, there's not much bad about this move except the fact that you can miss if you don't practice. Which you all do. Uair - it's not quite as good as Fox's uair because it stops you from moving upwards, making it extremely hard to hit someone with it if they try to jump away from it, but it is useful once in a while - nobody expects it, so you can get some kills once in a while off of the fall from a utilt. Bair is a finisher and an all around power move. Utilt to bair is will send them flying at anywhere above 30%, and this is also a good move to advance with (turn your back, jump back, bair, repeat). Good to edge guard with, but don't get too cocky - you'll die easily. Dair is a good move, but remember not to overuse it. The best part about this move is that it can deal about 40 damage on its own if you hit with every part of it. So if you can get your opponent under a platform and utilt, they will fall right into the range of your dair - quick 50+ damage. Also useful to put in after a launcher move (ftilt or utilt). Never use off the edge. In fact, the only move you should use off the edge ever is your fair or bair. Sometimes it's good to egg spam off the edges (hang on a cliff, tap down, jump until you're above the edge, egg, grab edge, repeat), but it's not nearly as useful in this game as it is in ssbm. Yoshi's b moves: Down b is useful after the ftilt, fair chain, as it sometimes hits them and normally has less recovery than your opponent (or about the same). Also useful for catching ledges. Up b is killer. If you learn how to aim this, it becomes your primary follow up to hitting someone off the edge and long range game. Neutral B is practically useless, except as a surprise attack. If you do manage to catch them with it, immediately jump above the egg and do your down b. It should catch them as they struggle out of the egg. Do not throw with Yoshi. Period. As for smash attacks... Usmash is your best smash. Long range, huge damage, high knockback, speed... it's an all around killer. A particluar favorite combo of mine at the beginning of the game is dair, utilt, usmash. Dsmash is not as good as dtilt, but it serves its purposes. Particularly useful when in a roll war, but if you can aim a dtilt correctly, that's still better. Fsmash and bsmash are nowhere near as good as Usmash, but they do have high priority and send your opponent far - it's just that they're so easily avoided and can be countered rather easily. Stick with bair and usmash for fiishers. Running tackle is Yoshi's ace in many situations. There is almost nothing bad about the move, except for the fact that it can only be used to end a combo, not start one or chain one.

And I think that's about it. I'll update later.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Good post. But for the love of gawd use paragraohs MAAAANNNN!!!:mad: :p

Anyways more stuff to add:

-Link's sex kick is a good filler move in combos because of it's limit knockback and decent stun. It also acts as a good "Get Off Me" move when being juggled or when you're about to be aerial attacked.

-Yoshi's Egg move can create impressive inescapable combos if used correctly, just takes a bit of predicting.

-Yoshi is one of the few characters in SSB64 who can genuinely short hop by double jumping and Z-Cancelling REAALLLY fast. Mastering this can lead to some cool combos and pressuring techniques.

GGPO

malva00

Smash Master
Re: alittle challenge

Originally posted by hopkins56
I am an excellent super smash brothers player. But I can still not beat with any constitiency this character that we refer to as "the One" here in Maryland. It sucks that you live in california, but could u send me some recent videos of you playing so that I can see how you compare to "The One" who also plays pikachu, thanks.
I just came back from Maryland. I was able to play Hopkins and two of his friends. It was really fun thanks for coming to play with me. I hope you learned some things even though we couldn't play for too long. =D

Marthby87

Smash Journeyman
Isai, Im MB_Prime/Echoes/Falco. Do you play ssb64 online? Cuz I never did get to vs you in that game. Whats your AIM so we can fight? Warning: I have 56gay. >_>

WANG Style

Smash Rookie
Isai

isai~

i have just heard about you recently, probably due to the fact that i didnt really pay attention to this online smash gaming community. however, i was wondering when you would be coming to the east coast near new jersey for any n64 tournaments. my personal belief is that you are quite good at pikachu and fox, but the reason i am not impressed is because of the lack of skills in your opponents. maybe one day we could play in private or such. a couple of my friends and i play smash at similar levels. in fact some of the combos that you do seem to be typically the same as the ones we use, even thoguh we dont study smash or even play more than just for fun. even if you're not willing, maybe you could show me some more videos of you playing in games that you considered close.

wang

valoem

Smash Journeyman
isai please if u have time, the next time u come down to the east coast for a tournement or anything please IM me about it because we (me WANG STYLE, and 5 others) would like to challege u to an old school SSB64 tournement.

Please IM on my sn Krrzazn (for AIM) if u can or want do it

thx

malva00

Smash Master
Re: Isai

Originally posted by WANG Style
isai~

i have just heard about you recently, probably due to the fact that i didnt really pay attention to this online smash gaming community. however, i was wondering when you would be coming to the east coast near new jersey for any n64 tournaments. my personal belief is that you are quite good at pikachu and fox, but the reason i am not impressed is because of the lack of skills in your opponents. maybe one day we could play in private or such. a couple of my friends and i play smash at similar levels. in fact some of the combos that you do seem to be typically the same as the ones we use, even thoguh we dont study smash or even play more than just for fun. even if you're not willing, maybe you could show me some more videos of you playing in games that you considered close.

wang
All those people you've seen me play live across the country from me lol. I play with my friends and they can beat me but I'm the best in the group. I should be in NYC later this year for MLG Finals so maybe we could play then.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Want those videos!

Hey. I noticed that the link to your videos of Smash *** kicking (first post in the thread) is long broken, and I'd really like to see them. Do you think that you could re-post them somewhere so that I can view your prowess as well? Perhaps even make some more current ones? Can't wait to see how much more I have to learn.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
i definitely want to check those old match vids out again, i remember when they were up on smashpros but they arent anymore, and the link on page one doesnt work anymore, so definitly get those up again

also, for the people who say they have seen better smash64, you haven't, malva is just one of those godly people, ive played kids who have done great against me and been RUINED by him. all i know is he has serious skill and strategy, and mind games that are completely relentless.

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
oh hey moog, i remember you from smashpros (i was pkthunder, witht he line of cocaine for the avatar)

anyway i bet youve gotten really good at melee over all this time with ur ssb head group who are you using

also, i cant watch the video theres some error reading it, do i need some kind of download to view it?

P.S.

where can i find some decent link video, ive been trying to get into him lately since some kids from the wrestling team have ssb64 tourneys going on, its just no fun using ness because i murder them, and id like to see soem pros using link so i can work on my combos ect...

(i remember there was this japanese site someone sent me at one time with so much video and writing about every character and it had 0-death combos vs. EVERY CHARACTER for link, where can i get that stuff!?

thanks allot

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
those are fun, but i cant see the last one

also, does anyone have some decent like video? I'm getting pretty nice with him but i want to learn from a real link player

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
hey ive been hearing allot about "DC++" and that you can DL any smash video you want off it. does this DC++ really have a hub with allot of SSB/SSBM stuff on it still? if so id love to DL it.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
u should check out
Smash World Forums > Super Smash Bros. Melee > Melee Discussion > SSBM DC++ Hub, The perfect resource for all your smash needs!(Match Videos, etc.)
Yes DC++ is direct connect. Its the C++ version and is much better than regular dc.
You can download it at http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
Then go to favorite hubs > New add this ip:

198.53.116.53:23

then connect and u can download all the smash vids u want. There are a lot!

DanFaggella

Smash Cadet
im not that smart with computers but ill try, maybe ill ask when i get a problem, thanks allot though

Top Bottom