• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB4 3DS Character Unlock Guide

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll unlock the characters that require a specific character to be unlocked, then go for the ones that require beating Classic Mode a certain amount of times. Then I go for Wario.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Also does anyone know if you can unlock characters when playing wireless with a friend?

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Also does anyone know if you can unlock characters when playing wireless with a friend?
You can.

I'm going to just play 1 stock VS matches and run off the edge to get the entire roster quickly since I'll have a tournament the day after it's released.

Classic seems quick enough without being too tedious. If I find myself struggling with intensity 7.0 and I'm desperate, I might resort to 120 one-stock suicides. Thank goodness it isn't 1,000 :gawmelee:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
120 1 stock suicides. Then I'll play the game for real with all characters and random.

Also why isn't this is the 3ds forum. Don't see why you're asking about the 3ds in the Wii U forum.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
CPUs? Nah, 120 matches on launch night with my friends will be a piece of cake. Though we might do some distinct Classic requirements first just to see how it works if a player has characters the other doesn't.

Brunelleski

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brunelleski
3DS FC
5129-0622-1976
Double Posting Warning Received
Classic seems quick enough without being too tedious. If I find myself struggling with intensity 7.0 and I'm desperate, I might resort to 120 one-stock suicides. Thank goodness it isn't 1,000 :gawmelee:
I don't understand, people rather do 120 1-stock suicide matches rather than just play the game normally to unlock the characters? Haha like you seriously need all the characters that soon?

CPUs? Nah, 120 matches on launch night with my friends will be a piece of cake. Though we might do some distinct Classic requirements first just to see how it works if a player has characters the other doesn't.
Yeah! Haha good ol' matches with your friends. 120 matches shouldn't take too long. I guess I just don't understand why people would do the 1 stock suicide thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand, people rather do 120 1-stock suicide matches rather than just play the game normally to unlock the characters? Haha like you seriously need all the characters that soon?
The operative terms were "if" and "might resort" in my first post. Classic is how I'm going to do it and that's the only other normal way to do it since other modes apparently don't grant characters anymore.

As for how soon I want the characters, it's not my fault that the character I most want to play as is buried in the back of the unlock order (for the third time in a row!)

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I lucked out and my only planned main who isn't default is Ness, so I can afford to just dilly dally. I'll beat Classic with everyone eventually, but on launch night it will definitely mostly be playing with friends.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
i got ganondorf from beating classic with zelda.
Which difficulty?

I'd like to make this as easy as possible so it's not too hard, I hate unlocking characters and I have a very short fuse in which I can break out screaming at the game punching things with frustration really easily, and I'd like to get Ganondorf first, then se him to play 120 vs matches.

Could I do this on the easiest difficulty?

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Handicap, 1:00 time limit, max damage ratio, one stock, using the most powerful character in knockback against the lightest character at level one.
Over and over.

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I plan on unlocking Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. via Classic, don't really care for the rest. I'll just unlock 'em whenever, through whatever means.

Last edited:

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
The non-versus match route, but mostly due to me using my game for testing.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
not everyone enjoys unlocks, (like me) so just getting it out of the way fast is better for us

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Immediately doing classic with Marth to get Lucina, the rest can probably wait lol

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I'm just gonna play VS matches until I unlock everyone.

SoraYoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
xNinjaYoshix
3DS FC
0130-1855-1624
I'll try my best to find the best and fastest way to get through 120 matches on Oct. 3 and get every character and stage day one and play online and every other mode non-stop.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I'll try my best to find the best and fastest way to get through 120 matches on Oct. 3 and get every character and stage day one and play online and every other mode non-stop.
1 stock run off the stage! :D

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Classic! Why not try to get characters and trophies at the same time? :D

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll play 10 vs matches to get Ness, then unlock all the other characters via classic mode.

lunarum

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4055-3233-5833
I guess I'll do classic mode for specific characters I want to unlock, then just let the rest happen as I play with them.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Yo dude. I'll play some Smash.

I'll start it up.
Go to classic.
Choose Pacster or Palutena.
AND
JUST
PLAY.

That's how I've been doing it since 1999 that's how I'll do it right now.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, Classic mode is the fastest way to unlock all the characters in the game although I guess it wouldn't hurt to play a total of 120 matches to get them all. I'm anxious to do some battles on each of the new stages in the game.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
It seems like doing it through Classic mode would be significantly more fun than jumping off one stock 120 times.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
It seems like doing it through Classic mode would be significantly more fun than jumping off one stock 120 times.
Yeah, pretty much what I would say... I'm gonna feel a bit empty after just unlocking everyone that fast and that easily.

SonicMario

Smash Master
With how relatively easy it is to unlock them in Vs. Mode. I might just do 120 matches in one sitting. But not suiciding in order to do it. Playing actual matches. I want to unlock all the characters while also getting good at the game. xP

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'll be doing Classic Mode.
If it isn't character-specific, I'll always use my Mii Fighter.
If it is, I'll switch to that character.
(Oh, and there's only one person you can't unlock by Classic Mode. And that is Wario. Beat 100-Mii-Smash to get him. Take notes, @JabbatheHutt.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I plan to do vs. matches, because 120 isn't a lot, and I'd like to thoroughly play each character for like 3 or 4 matches to see how they've been changed. exceptions being Mario, Link, and Pikachu

eWaltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Waltz.exe
I'll just play Classic mode with different characters when I get time to play alone. It'll be easy to unlock everyone with local play and online vs anyway. I'd rather spend time learning the characters I want to play than jumping off a stage or doing extreme % 1 stocks for 120 matches. Although, I am going to immediately unlock Lucina.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I'll also take it slow, for some reason I like the characters themselves to go to me than go to them. Although I like Ness, I'm not really going first on him, I'll just check the characters out and if they fit my playstyle. So much interesting characters... Samus, Pit, RosaLuma, Luigi, Zelda and many more, I haven't tried them out much in Brawl(except RosaLuma of course) so I might give them a shot in this game.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
There're 35 characters to start with, so I'm definitely just gonna be playing with my friends all night in standard matches to get the rest. I don't particularly care to unlock them all within the first hour I have the game, but I would like to have them all by the end of the first night by actually playing the game instead of suiciding 120 times. :p To each their own though.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
120 suicides getting me all the characters in an hour. Then spending the other 23 hours practicing tech and generally learning what makes this game tick. It's a long road to the top and I don't want to faff about dealing with classic mode.

Top Bottom