• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB4 3DS Character Unlock Guide

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
VS Mode:
10 matches - Ness
20 matches - Falco
30 matches - Wario
40 matches - Lucina
50 matches - Dark Pit
60 matches - Dr. Mario
70 matches - R.O.B.
80 matches - Ganondorf
90 matches - Mr. Game & Watch
100 matches - Bowser Jr.
110 matches - Duck Hunt Dog
120 matches - Jigglypuff

Classic Mode:
Win with 1 character: Falco
Win with 2 characters: Ness
Win with 4 characters: Dark Pit
Win with Bowser on Intensity 7.0 or higher: Bowser Jr.
Win with Mario: Dr. Mario
Win with Link, Zelda, or Shiek (?): Ganondorf
Win with Marth on Intensity 5.0 or higher without continues: Lucina

THESE AREN'T CONFIRMED. I'm waiting to hear from people how they unlock things.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
It's worth noting that many of these have been shown to not be entirely true on Zipzo's stream. :p

Aaronsxedge

Smash Rookie
Can you expand on that so I can update the post to be more accurate?I'm in class so I can't watch the stream.
The versus mode unlocks are true. I was able to unlock everyone in about an hour. Does anyone know the method to unlock all the stages? Is team attack an unlockable? I can't find it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm... nice to know if this is accurate. Guess I'll probably just go through vs mode to unlock these characters....

No one found out about Jigglypuff's other unlock method though? Or R.O.B. and Wario?

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if there will be a way to unlock Rob, Wario and Jigglypuff without having to play a bunch of vs matches. Playing 120 of them seems kind of excessive.

Some of these characters are pretty lame as unlockables. Then againm, its nice to have a Smash game with a starting roster that isn't garbage.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Hmm... nice to know if this is accurate. Guess I'll probably just go through vs mode to unlock these characters....

No one found out about Jigglypuff's other unlock method though? Or R.O.B. and Wario?
No one's found their other unlock methods as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the VS mode unlocks are accurate but I'm still hazy on all the classic mode unlocks. I'll update the post as people tell me more info.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No one's found their other unlock methods as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the VS mode unlocks are accurate but I'm still hazy on all the classic mode unlocks. I'll update the post as people tell me more info.
I wonder if they get unlocked by playing All Star or any of the stadium modes. I haven't really seen anyone trying them out yet.... Could be wrong though....

Last edited:

ViViFlario7

Smash Rookie
In terms of stages you can unlock, I think there are three, they are:

Magicant: unlock Ness
Dream Land: Use Kirby's final smash (Ultra Sword) once
I believe there is one more unlockable stage but I am unsure which stage it is.

Also every character unlock will gain items for your Mii Fighters.

Also during the Jwitz stream, the unlock methods for Duck Hunt and Mr Game and Watch we're decomfirmed, as neither character was unlocked via the methods posted, making me think it has something to do with the number of characters used to beat classic mode or changes in intensity settings

Hope this helps everyone who either has the game now or is waiting for worldwide release on Oct 3rd. ;)

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I just unlocked Jigglypuff when I beat Smash Run as Greninja... Do with that what you will.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Win with Mario and classic mode in how much intensity? Cuz I play with Mario but no Dr.Mario yet.
And did you guys notice that you cannot friend with people in Smashboards anymore?

Last edited:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i just got g&w playing with ike. i think he may be classic completion based on how many times you've completed classic.

did not get him from beating it with duckhunt before that.
did not get lucina from beating it with robin (wasn't testing it, just happened to beat it with robin).
did not get jigglypuff from doing smash run as greninja.

as for classic, i've been doing each round on 7 intensity (maybe it was 6 for robin, that was a while ago so i don't remember).

characters i know i'm still missing: jigglypuff, wario, lucina, ROB, bowser jr, dr. mario

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The Lucina one is wrong from what I saw. You might have to do it with 2 FE characters.

tyrannosaurusrik

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3196-4352-0712
I witnessed Ganondorf unlocked with Sheik's classic. And G&W not unlocked with Duck Hunt's classic. ROB has been consistently unlocked with Versus matches.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
for puff clear classic with G&W, according to a stream i watched:
that or its one more classic than G&W, which he unlocked via pikachu classic

Last edited:

justinwing6202

Smash Cadet
NNID
justinwing
3DS FC
5026-5310-0665
I know how to unlock all the stages I think, In order to get Magicant you need to unlock Ness, in order to get the 16-bit F-Zero stage you need to win a few matches with Captain Falcon I think (not sure how many), in order to get the Warioware stage you need to unlock Wario, and in order to unlock Flat Zone 2 you need to unlock Mr.Game and Watch and complete the first set of challenges, in order to get Pac Maze you need to use Pac Man's final Smash, and in order to get Balloon fight use villagers up b 3 times

Last edited:

phanteon

Smash Cadet
i just completed classic mode with Marth and Reflet and lucina is still not unlocked

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if there will be a way to unlock Rob, Wario and Jigglypuff without having to play a bunch of vs matches. Playing 120 of them seems kind of excessive.

Some of these characters are pretty lame as unlockables. Then againm, its nice to have a Smash game with a starting roster that isn't garbage.
Excessive? In Melee you only would have unlocked 2 of the 11 unlockables with 120 matches played.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
i just completed classic mode with Marth and Reflet and lucina is still not unlocked
Odd... I did it with Reflet (used a continue) and then Marth (perfect 5.5 run) and got her. I had uses about 3 characters in between them.

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
I found many different ways onto the net on how to unlock the characters...

Characters:
-Ness: Play 10 matches or Beat Classic Mode 2 times
-Falco: Play 20 matches or Beat Classic Mode 1 time
-Wario: Play 30 matches or Beat 100-Man Smash
-Lucina: Play 40 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Marth
-Dark Pit: Play 50 matches or Beat Classic Mode 3 times
-Dr. Mario: Play 60 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Mario*
-R.O.B.: Play 70 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Mr. Game & Watch on intensity 7.0 or higher
-Ganondorf: Play 80 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Link
-Mr. Game & Watch: Play 90 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Duck Hunt
-Bowser Jr.: Play 100 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Bowser on intensity 7.0 or higher
-Duck Hunt: Play 110 matches or Beat Classic Mode 8 times
-Jigglypuff: Play 120 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Custom Moves On

*That's what I have seen everywhere and how I had it, but if you see the vid of SullyPwnz on youtube finishing Classic Mode with Mario on intensity 5.0, he didn't unlocked Dr. Mario... He unlocked it while playing with Luigi! So i'm wondering if it's a bit random...

Stages:
-Balloon Fight: Use the Villager 3 times in VS Mode
-Dream Land: Use Kirby's Final Smash
-Flat Zone 2: Unlock Mr. Game & Watch and defeat challenges 1-35
-Magicant: Unlock Ness
-Mute City: Win 3 VS Matches using Captain Falcon
-Pac-Maze: Use Pac-Man's Final Smash
-WarioWare, Inc.: Unlock Wario

Verification is needed but it's the more accurate list I could make!

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Thanks for the lists! I've been wondering how to unlock the characters outside of versus mode since I find that way boring and prefer unlocking characters the fun way. >_<

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
Thanks for this good thread! I will bookmark it for when I get the game

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
I unlocked all the characters almost entirely by accident. I wanted to learn to play Robin better against players so I played a lot of multiplayer online. Then when I went to unlock characters I found that playing MP matches fulfilled the requirements I needed to unlock dudes. I just had to do a fight each to unlock someone new on single player.

It takes a trivial amount of time to unlock all the characters. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lucina seems to only unlock when beating classic with marth on 5.0 with no continues (at least, that's what worked for me after someone suggested it in chat and i'd already beat it with all fe characters and marth several times on higher difficulty)

edit: i also got jigglypuff without custom moves or using charizard in classic

Last edited:

TruckOSaurus

Smash Apprentice
I unlocked all the characters almost entirely by accident. I wanted to learn to play Robin better against players so I played a lot of multiplayer online. Then when I went to unlock characters I found that playing MP matches fulfilled the requirements I needed to unlock dudes. I just had to do a fight each to unlock someone new on single player.

It takes a trivial amount of time to unlock all the characters. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
It's great that multiplayer matches count for unlocking! That's the way I'll be unlocking my characters when I get the game!

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
argh, there's still so much confusion with unlocks, I don't really want to inaccurately change the OP >_<

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
lucina seems to only unlock when beating classic with marth on 5.0 with no continues (at least, that's what worked for me after someone suggested it in chat and i'd already beat it with all fe characters and marth several times on higher difficulty)

edit: i also got jigglypuff without custom moves or using charizard in classic
I can second this one. I was there when he was playing multiple times through with all the FE characters.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
some other notes
- unlocked dr. mario with 7.5 intensity
- unlocked jigglypuff after 8 classics at 7.0 intensity
- no lucina after ike 7.0 no continues
- no rob after game&watch 7.0 no continues

ended up just playing matches for rob cause i wasn't bothered doing classic with every character just to see if it was legit

also i skimmed my twitch vod for some statistics, maybe it will be helpful figuring out unlocks?
1 - yoshi 3.0 (no continues) -> falco
2 - toon link 5.0 (no continues) -> ness -> magicant
3 - palutena 9.0 (6 continues) -> black pit
4 - mario 9.0 (3 continues) -> dr. mario
5 - sheik 9.0 (7 continues)
6 - marth 9.0 (3 continues)
7 - bowser 9.0 (3 continues) -> bowser jr.
8 - robin 9.0 (4 continues) -> jigglypuff
9 - pacman 9.0 (3 continues) -> duck hunt
10 - wii fit trainer 9.0 (3 continues) -> game&watch
11 - ness 7.0 (no continues)
12 - link 9.0 (4 continues) -> ganondorf
13 - ike 7.0 (no continues)
14 - marth 9.0 (2 continues)
15 - marth 5.0 (no continues) -> lucina
16 - mii gunner 6.0 (1 continue)
17 - game&watch 9.0 (4 continues)
100-man melee (lucina) -> wario -> made in wario
18 - game&watch 5.0 (no continues)
19 - game&watch 7.0 (no continues)
did stuff in smashbrospm's post for remaining stages (all accurate)
played 70 matches -> rob

Last edited:

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Will you do classic mode or just play matches with CPUS? When I get the game Oct 11th I am going to practice all these chars with CPUS then play online with my friend :p. I have a feeling I am going to like ZSS, Greninja, and Shulk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom