• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB Wii U & Cloud9 Win at SXSW Gaming Awards

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Smashers had a lot to be proud of last night with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Cloud9, who carry Joseph "Mang0" Marquez for Super Smash Bros. Melee, taking spots in the winner's circle. The second annual SXSW Gaming Awards were held in Austin, TX at the ACL Live and award excellence in the gaming industry. Both open voting and voting by an advisory board of industry experts influence the outcome.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U took home the gold in the category "Excellence in Multiplayer". Nominees in the category included Destiny, Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Titanfall, and Towerfall Ascension. No doubt the title's robust 8-player experience and developed online modes played a factor in this decision.

However, the Smash Bros. series did not get a clean sweep. The 3DS version of the game was bested in the category "Mobile Game of the Year" by Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. And the Wii U version of the game failed to secure victories in the "Excellence in Gameplay" and "Excellent in Animation" categories.

In another hotly contested category, eSports team Cloud9 beat out rival teams Alliance, Evil Geniuses, Fnatic, and SK Gaming for a win in "Most Valuable Esports Team". Top-ranked Melee player @MaNg0 is signed to Cloud9. The award is given to the team with the most impact on the competitive scene and excellence in overall performance.

Miss out last night? Watch the awards again on Twitch at SXSW's channel.

What other awards were you excited about? Follow me on Twiiter to let me know. -Xiivi

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Smash beating 3 boring FPS and an old-school style game ?
0a8.gif

Let's party boys. :mariomelee:

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
It's cool I guess, but SXSW isn't a big establishment or anything to celebrate about

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Excellence in Gameplay should have gone to the Smash Bros. games since they always innovate.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
"Video game awards show"

Hahahahahaha, that's almost as funny as "video game journalism".

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Congratulations to Sm4sh Wii U.... but how can a card game win (again) a best mobile game? How can it even be nominated for GOTY? (TGA event)
It gotta be a lot of bias towards Warcraft, seriously....

A_Y

Smash Rookie
NNID
ant-3d
3DS FC
0963-2027-2441
you did daddy sakurai u can finally be free untile smash 5 hype starts to get out of hand!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
you did daddy sakurai u can finally be free untile smash 5 hype starts to get out of hand!
You mean Smash 6.
Smash for Wii U and 3DS are two totally different games, the only similarities being Master Core, Items, one stage, the characters and the Stadium.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman

--NOW HOLD ON SMASH 4, NOW I AM NOT SAYING YOU DONT HAVE A GREAT MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE. BUT PROJECT M ON STAMINA WITH LOOPING BLASTZONES IS THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN EVER, PLUS ALL STAR MODE. IM JUST SAYING.

Not trying to start anything, just doofing around on the internet. Both games are great

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
What is the point of this at all?
He has "SSBM" in the beginning of his username so automatically he's entitled to act above anyone who plays anything that isn't Melee.

And take note that his join date is 2014. Just another random who stumbled across smashboards and tried to fit in with a crowd.

Last edited:

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
He has "SSBM" in the beginning of his username so automatically he's entitled to act above anyone who plays anything that isn't Melee.

And take note that his join date is 2014. Just another random who stumbled across smashboards and tried to fit in with a crowd.
Why are you getting so salty? I'm a Sm4sh player too, the game has no longevity though. Seriously my join date is irrelevent, it's like making fun of a 7 year old for being 7. It's just childish lmao

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?

Your first paragraph is so brain dead it hurts. I play Melee, so I have SSBM in the beginning of my name.
If your tag was SSB4_Laws I wouldn't say "He has "SSB4" in the beginning of his username so automatically he's entitled to act below anyone who plays anything that isn't Sm4sh." I'm not entitled to anything but my opinions, which is that Sm4sh has no longevity as a competitive video game. IMO it's pretty slow, the edge mechanics are dreadful which makes for a lot of running away and camping on stage, and there aren't any techniques that are vital to survival, it's very bare bones combat that doesn't impress people looking in. A competitive game with longevity like Melee or Counterstrike should look like a competitive game when it's played by it's top players. (Which Sm4sh doesn't deliver)

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Your first paragraph is so brain dead it hurts. I play Melee, so I have SSBM in the beginning of my name.
If your tag was SSB4_Laws I wouldn't say "He has "SSB4" in the beginning of his username so automatically he's entitled to act below anyone who plays anything that isn't Sm4sh." I'm not entitled to anything but my opinions, which is that Sm4sh has no longevity as a competitive video game. IMO it's pretty slow, the edge mechanics are dreadful which makes for a lot of running away and camping on stage, and there aren't any techniques that are vital to survival, it's very bare bones combat that doesn't impress people looking in. A competitive game with longevity like Melee or Counterstrike should look like a competitive game when it's played by it's top players. (Which Sm4sh doesn't deliver)
You basing your opinion on the game as a fact is what's braindead. It's fine if you enjoy Melee more, but making claims like you did that are, frankly, uncalled for is where my concern is. You may be entitled to an opinion and all that cute stuff, but if you deliver it in a baseless manner that has an underlying argumentative tone, then expect opposition.

Nintendo is supporting the game, which is fantastic, and there are tons of people who enjoy playing and watching it competitively. If you prefer Melee, go play it and quit spreading toxic bs on a game that you do not care for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom