• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Srsly Europe what about Brawl?

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
If been asking myself this question for a few weeks now.
Since Brawl is available in Europe i've been wondering who of you melee players will move an to Brawl and stop playin Melee ?

I dont want this thread to be one of the standard melee-brawl discussion topics (since we all know melee is the better game ... jk jk dont take that seriously brawl lovers ;) ).

So what i want to know is whether the european community put their focus on melee or on brawl ?

Personally i will still focus on melee since i think atm its still the more competitive game, all tournaments we host or we will host down here in south germany will be melee main events with a bit brawl (check out Smash Royale its going to be HUGE x) )

Germany probably has the same attitude, so most tournaments will still have melee as their main event.

But whats up with all the other countrys ? France, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Italy, ...

Also i didn't heard much of very good brawlers, are there a few of you guys who play brawl pretty serious and acutally are really good at it ?

Im just curious ...

(Sorry if my english is not that good)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
There are quite a few people playing Brawl in the Netherlands, including me. I know of some others in Europe that are decent at it. Of course, there aren't many Brawl events and they usually aren't very interesting when it comes to prizes. This is bad for the growth of the metagame and our level in general, while the US seems to have completely moved to Brawl. Whatever the case, I'm getting pretty tired of people discussing which game is better, it's pointless at the moment.

What you're doing at your tournaments is somewhat promising, but I'd suggest you give Brawl a cash prize as well in the future. I think Melee is the better competitive game, but Brawl deserves a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if Brawl teams were to become more popular than singles and wouldn't be opposed to it replacing Melee teams, while we'd still have Melee singles.

Most of Europe seems to be scared to even try Brawl competitively, so the best way to introduce it would be to make it an event at Melee tournaments. Now that the game is out in Europe, I'm expecting its scene to get bigger in the next few months.

Mac Matrix

Smash Cadet
I have to agree with Marc.

Most people seem to be staying away from Brawl because of the lack of 'advanced techs' such as L-cancelling, wavedashing, Falco's spear shine, etc, etc.

Whilst I'm a long-time Melee player and I love the game, to me Brawl is the more interesting game. I'm going to leave my opinion on the Melee-Brawl argument there - as said, this topic isn't about arguing over the games. Both games have their good points and bad points. Everyone has an opinion.

Brawl is just new, that's all. I want to play Brawl competitively, for sure. I plan on attending some tournaments. I'm sure as time passes, people will find all the little tricks and glitches that made Melee so competitive and Brawl will become more of a tournament game compared to how it is now.

Or at least, I hope so.

I don't want Brawl to die; I want it to be as successful and as competitive as Melee. Both games deserve that.

That's my opinion. I hope it helps. ^^

Izaw

Smash Ace
This is what Brawl needs to become a more competitive game. More tournaments that only have Brawl, then Melee as a side-event. Remember it has gone 6-7 months since the Japan release, 5-6 months for US and 1 month for EU. Back when Melee was released it took 2 years for it to become what it is now and all that is thanks to the people that gave up Smash 64(or never played it) and played Melee to truly make it competitive. Brawl is in the same situation as Melee had 6-7 years ago. People hated it, they thought it wasen't as competitive as Smash 64, BUT that changed. I hope that changes for Brawl too.

So hopefully we'll see more Brawl tournaments. Atleast I'll attend to them ;P.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Since I'm done with Melee, if I play Smash it's Brawl now. In Finland in general people like Melee more, and there hasn't been a Brawl tourney yet and I have no clue when there will be one.

Marc was pretty much right in his post (as usual). If Brawl is good enough for the US EC community, it's good enough for me too for the time being. Like I've been saying for well over a year, Brawl shouldn't be ultimately judged until 2009 or so.

Kululu

Smash Rookie
But whats up with all the other countrys ? France, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Italy, ...
French community still plays Melee.
Until now, Brawl was always a side event, or less.

Of course, a lot of new players (Melee noobs) created many forums to play with lame online, but they would never come to a Melee tournament in person... :ohwell:
Btw, those are the same who usually said that WD is a glitch, "pros are tourney***s", etc... So I don't care about the french Brawl online situation.

All french events in coming are on Melee.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
French community still plays Melee.
Until now, Brawl was always a side event, or less.

Of course, a lot of new players (Melee noobs) created many forums to play with lame online, but they would never come to a Melee tournament in person... :ohwell:
Btw, those are the same who usually said that WD is a glitch, "pros are tourney***s", etc... So I don't care about the french Brawl online situation.

All french events in coming are on Melee.
That's the basic idea.
There's a brawl scene in France, but it isn't really active IRL, if you except ****ty tournaments in manga conventions. The problem is that they don't have any host : the 6 major hosts in France (=JD, Doraki, Poilon, porc, salepate and I) prefer melee by far, so the 5 tournament we planned until the end of 2008 are featuring Melee as the main event.
JD and I agreed on the fact that we need to host Brawl tournaments, but right now, nothing has been planned (but I'll host a Brawl tournament, that's a certitude). There's also another problem for brawl events : the active players don't want it. For instance, Salepate and porc made a poll on the French boards to decide between a Brawl event and freeplay at the TSL3, and freeplay won with an overwhelming majority. The people who prefer Brawl and want Brawl tournament aren't actually active outside of anime conventions, and don't want to travel a bit for tournaments. So, the logic consequence is that's there aren't any tournament.

Well. We'll see how it will develop, but right now, the Melee has the upper hand in France.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
you guys are lucky, UK has **** going on atm, no brawl or melee tournies -_- and the London community flakes ****ing everything

havent had a melee tourney in months, last brawl tourney was like 2-3 months ago

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Well, the Dutch community is a bit of a mess at the moment too. We don't have any big events and the events we do have are split between Melee and Brawl, instead of big events where the communities can be united. Some of the old tournament hosts aren't that active anymore and the newcomers lack experience when it comes to hosting, besides their inconsistent tournament attendance.

The benefit we have is that we live in a small country where it's easy for people to meet. The top players in both Melee and Brawl all know how to find each other and practice together, so we can keep on improving even without events. It's a bit of a paradox; smash seems to be dying, but on the other hand it's still very much alive. The level is higher than it's ever been, but it all depends on a small core.

Luffy Dahean

Smash Apprentice
In Spain theres like 50-50 right now, but main Brawl events are all online and it sux. We will probably keep on playing Melee instead of Brawl (maybe we could do a Brawl/Melee event, but doubt it at this moment) since all the main host for tournaments are "pro Melee".

neutralshadow

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I play Brawl because it's too late to get into the melee scene.
It'd take too long to learn everything I need to learn, and tbh I can't be arsed.

Plus, the only person I have around to play with is too far above me to learn from...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
It feels like melee is kinda dead in sweden at the moment but there´s not too many of the old smash scene that has gotten brawl yet and judges it to be a bad game.
It can be some due to some of us playing brawl uses "lame strats" that creates a illusion of infinite combos(zero to death) or things like that, punisching every mistake with like one less stock and the strat looks really easy hehe.
The last melee tournament in sweden if I remember correcly (more then 20 people) was Uppsmash like in march/april but we´ll hopefully get one in september, with brawl too since If it happens and we get the venua I´ll be hosting it XD

I´ve seen that some people will start playing brawl competively though when the tournaments comes, so there´s probably a bright future^^

Top Bottom