• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle bombing.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Playing brawl teams with a friend I discovered a nice team tech involving Snake and Squirtle.

I call it Squirtle bombing, and basically consists in loading up squirtle with explosives (Letting him pick grenades, sticking c4...) And making him do his withdraw (Side+B) move against the enemies. If you sticked c4 on the little turtle, you only have to detonate it as soon as he makes contact with the enemies, or simply when being close to them. Squirtle will not take any damage.

Same with the grenades, altough those involve more timing from the squirtle player side.

This can be basically done by any other character, just by air dodging in the detonation moment or just shielding / countering / whatever, but squirtle bombing is easier to do than those, has more of the surprise element and all in all is less risky (it also removes the basic flaw of squirtle withdraw move, the vulnerability from above: If anyone tries to jump in squirtle... BOOM)

We yet have to test the effective uses of this technique, but so far it's been a lot of fun, and with the correct timing and coordination, it might become a real threat.

If you are interested, we'll record a video :)

Thanks in advance, and please don't be too flamey.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
that sounds pretty neat, btu i don't know how well it will work in a real match.

"aww its a turtle"
"squirt.....boom"

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
I have thought of this before, just not been sure how it works since I haven't been bothered to try it out. does squirtles withdraw get any effect from this? (loss of speed, change of trajectory etc.)

I'm doubting the usefulness of this, but sure. it could be used maybe once a match or so. otherwise people will start shieldgrabbing the little thing. think of it this way: they know he's gonna blow, therefore shield, squirtle cannot get out in time after the explosion, squirtle gets grabbed and probably *****.

:(

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Nope, squirtle CAN get out in time after the explosion.

What the explosion does, exactly, is turning squirtle back in his tracks, inverting the trajectory instantly. And that's, as far as I know, the only effect of explosions in squirtle's trajectory.

I have to try what two subsequent explosions can do.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
...Though the sticking of your partner and having him harass the enemy while transferring C4 is not a new idea, eschewing the transferring part and just having Squirtle pseudo-kamikaze seems funny in and of itself.

But then again, if the opponent reads you, you'll be in a world of hurt.

Top Bottom