• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

springs on platforms

infomon

Smash Scientist
So it occurred to me that platforms make me feel trapped. But Sonic has tricks on platforms! But I don't know what they are or how to use them effectively! I need to lrn2battlefield... but anyway, I want ppl to tell me what they think of this idea:

leave springs on platforms! It's like how Diddy loves to leave bananas on them as part of his tricksies.

- Leaving a spring on a platform is fast! Spring > Dair you don't have to wait until you're high enough for the Dair to be lagless, because you're landing lower than where you started. And depending on what your opponent's up to, the platform (and its spring lol) often mean they aren't able to punish your Dair; unlike, say, FD where they have to be pretty far away for you to grounded Spring > Dair safely with time to ever use the spring afterwards.

- Battle underneath a grounded spring to see which situations you want to full-hop onto it as a weird escape (and/or getting them used to you having this option, and the more options we have the less predictable we are). VSDJ onto it too.

- If you're fighting below a grounded spring, see if your opponent tries to use it too. If he ever goes for it, you can remove the spring just before he gets to it by springing yourself -- you'll be in the invincy frames as you pass by the opponent, and if he does anything you can Dair him lol.

- Uthrow an opponent onto a spring that's sitting on the platform above you! and spring > follow-up for lolz.

- Leave a spring on a platform, then from grounded level, full-hop into a side-B that lands on it. Use this as a launchpad for an attack, ex. jump immediately after leaving the spring into an ASC (from which you can still jump-cancel or spinshot from or whatever, if you want to).

- Leave a spring on a platform, then from grounded level, full-hop into a side-B that lands below the spring (on the platform that has the spring on it). That is, you faked-out going for the spring. You've got a very short spindash across the platform, and remember that even though you used side-B to land on that platform (platform-cancel the side-B's hop ftw! ... can you do that from a short-hop I wonder??), when the spindash rolls off the platform it'll become an ASC -- to either attack or shield-cancel into something else!

tl;dr: leaving springs on platforms is fast and gives you a bunch of really silly options, for movement, defense, or offense; especially when combined with our spindashes. Try it out!!

Umby

Smash Master
I'm personally not sure. If I ever left a spring on a platform, the battle would be continuing on the other side of the stage, and the spring wouldn't last long enough to make a difference. I'll experiment with it if I get a chance.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I agree with Tumby that by the time the spring is planted, and I'm trying not to get punished for my landing, the spring is already gone.

I also don't have my Wii currently so I can't even start to try and mess around with some of those options xD

:093:

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I just wish springs lasted longer so that this would work, but sadly they usually do disappear too quickly.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Because you know that they're expecting you to attack from below, ex. an Uair vs. Lucario's Dair. Instead I spring right past them (using its invincy frames) and Dair them lol. It works all the time, even vs. opponents who are used to me doing this. *shrug*

Top Bottom