• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Split Mario and Doc + suggestions

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
As cool as the clone engine is and that all these new costumes are being added, as much as I have tried to accept that doc and mario will be the same character I cant help wanting more, something greater than mario is currently. Some of you may disregard this thread, but I know that deep inside you want a cooler, faster mario like I do, and once im through explaining you will all agree with me, im sure.

So first off, I like mario in this game. Hes pretty simple and has options for everything, and is definately top tier although everyone that plays this game is reluctant to explore a characters meta which is why fox sheik and falco are being considered for nerfs. However, mario has much more potential than being the shoto of project m. Mario in his games is fast and jumps high, and he does neither of these in any smash game. I am suggesting changes to his play style that will better make him fit with his character, and he will have such a unique identity that doc will be a completely different alternative just by keeping his old melee traits.

Mario deserves speed, mexi-jumps, and faster fireballs like in his platformers. This I feel will make him very fast and have more potential for pushdown, but will keep him simple, easy to pick up, and still retain some of his defensive strengths. For general core buffs, he needs a faster run speed, about sheik speed I think, a higher jump at about foxes height (short hop is fine though) and faster fall speed at about links level. His traction, short hop, air speed, and weight should all remain the same. With all of these buffs, you can revert most of his attacks to their melee forms, bar his new dtilt, his cape mechanic buffs(less swing recovery and more pushback) the buffed recovery range of his tornado and easier to perform up b walljump. (also im pretty sure you guys helped make his dair and jump punch connect better but im not sure) Givng his tornado more ground manuevurability would be nice though, but not at the same level as luigi.

I would like to see his fair changed along with his fireballs. For his fireballs, revert them to the size and damage of his melee ones with all of the same properties. To go with this I would like to see them have slightly less start up and about 50% of their melee end lag. To balance this program a limit of only 2 fireballs on screen at a time, a homage to his 2d games. For his fair, I want it to work like a spike exclusively, but faster. Give it less start lag and much less end lag, and slightly alter the animation so he stays upright after using it. Give it a sweet spot like falcons knee, somewhere close to his body, which when triggered lets out flame fx and spikes the opponent with the same knockback and damage as his melee fair. If not sweetspotted it should only meteor and have slightly less knock back than his melee fair. this concludes my dream for a fast comboing mario and I know that everyone will love playing as him this way.

With a mario built like this, doc can ill the void for the old playstyle, which is generally read based and very defensive with pills and spacing. All the core mechanics doc would need are a slightly faster airspeed(not air control though) slightly heavier weight, either between mario and falcon or just at falcons weight, marios land lag values, and a longer grab to help with his fantastic grabs and help setup for fair kills and chain grabs . Most of his attacks are fine as they are, even his weak uair and bair and altering them would afftect his playstyle too greatly. However he could benefit from a faster second jab to hep improve mixups(still shouldnt be as fast as marios though), with the third hit being the same except it could maybe use a different animation, since doc is too roided up from his strength pills to lift his legs like that he sould probably just do a right hook instead, which should also emit lightning fx. dtilt and fair need less end lag, and the latter of which also needs lightning fx. His nair's strong hit should come out a bit faster and emit lightning fx so that I can know when I land it(only the strongest hit though) This is all doc needs, aside from special moves alterations.

Changing docs specials is difficult because he needs them far more than marios with his play style, although they fit marios character better, so they should remain the same, with a few differences. His pills should remain the same as melee, but with the end lag cuts that were implemented with marios fireballs in project m. His cape should be a little longer, and should stall him indefinately now, but does not need to faster swing speed that was implemented. his tornado needs the improved recovery distance as well and should maybe work like links spin attack, with just the single strong hit. His jump punch is fine but if you want to be creative with it you could make it a single hit attack, and like wolf's illusion have a strong hit at the end which should work as a kill move and not make him go into special fall.

This concludes the changes I want for mario, and subsequently doc, and if you so choose to implement them I will be extremely grateful, and I promise to win tournaments with the two (along with luigi) and further their metagames, bringing much rejoice to the mario boards. If you need help financially i will also see what I can to help with the progress of the game. Just please put these in

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
even if they did this he would get nerfed in a heartbeat js
mario is already good enough to do everything ur asking for

Papa+Stone

Well i suggested a few nerfs as well, faster fall speed would hurt his recovery and make him easier to combo, lots of his moves would be reverted to melee status, fireballs would be about as useful as they are now with the compromises, and others. Im not asking for buffs as I know how good he is already, Im just asking for changes to his playstyle to make him a fast combo character like he should be, and his current one could be given back to doc.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
pm mario is already a fast combo character tho

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I would agree with Mario & Doc being separate characters a lot more if what wasn't done wasn't already done.

The Mario/Doc Hybrid has just become Mario to me now and he feels like how he always should have couldn't go back.

Papa+Stone

but he runs so slow and has a tiny jump. why would mario of all characters run slow and have a tiny jump. I just feel like there is a lot of missed potential his pm incarnation, I like him already but he plays exactly like he does in melee as either mario or doc. There is an opportunity to put extra emphasis on combos and different directions they could take to make fair a nice sidegrade to docs in melee.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
if you wavedash mario becomes much faster and he has so many mix ups in his combos its crazy
he doesnt feel like a brand new mario compared to melee mario or doc he has the best of both worlds what more could u ask for

Papa+Stone

pm mario is already a fast combo character tho
His combos are pretty much exactly like they were in melee, if not worse in some areas. His uair is unchanged as are his core mechanics and ground values, all thats different is his dair and dtilt can setup slightly better than in melee, he has better kill moves now, and a safer fireball to make up for his bad approach now.

Papa+Stone

if you wavedash mario becomes much faster and he has so many mix ups in his combos its crazy
he doesnt feel like a brand new mario compared to melee mario or doc he has the best of both worlds what more could u ask for
Im not bad with mario and im probably more familar with both him and than anyone here lol. I just want a mario with consistent, long combos like a falcon. This may mean giving up his strengths in other areas but I feel like itll be worth it in the end.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
isnt that the point of making a character that is suppose to feel like how they were in melee but with more potential

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Im not bad with mario and im probably more familar with both him and than anyone here lol. I just want a mario with consistent, long combos like a falcon. This may mean giving up his strengths in other areas but I feel like itll be worth it in the end.
the combos last as long as u are reading ur opponents di which is where the mix ups come in
u can finish long uair combos if know when to finish it with fair or fsmash or even dsmash

Papa+Stone

He wont feel completely different if hes just faster, falls faster, and jumps higher with a reworked fair. his moves will all be the same anyway for the most part. He will work the same but have more potential for death combos and will generally be fast and fun to play, and and unique incarnation

Papa+Stone

the combos last as long as u are reading ur opponents di which is where the mix ups come in
u can finish long uair combos if know when to finish it with fair or fsmash or even dsmash
His combos are fine, but what if they were better? His punish game is still not at the level of the melee top tiers yet. He doesnt really get combos as often as some others and with some changes they could be much more consistent than they already are

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
His punish game doesn't need to be at the level of melee top tiers. He can already combo everyone from hell and back, you can barely combo him, and he can recover from anything. So with that said, what exactly is the reasoning behind this suggested change.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
idk man mario is already perfect if u ask me
players just need to step they game up

Papa+Stone

His combos are actually pretty overrated actually, they're decent in this game and better than a lot of the cast thats not orientated around lengthy punishes. however they function mostly the same as in melee but with a few tweaks to help them link together better. And he does get punished actually by characters like marth and sheik and falcon, and especially falcon. Im not asking for buffs by any means, Im just asking for a shift in the focus of his gameplay to be more combo based. I was inspired by the sd remix mario actually which is so fast and fun to play, but is really limited in its design because they dont have a great team like project m does or a large community either.

Papa+Stone

btw once I play a rookie in a mario ditto im up for mario dittos against anyone here lol I feel like the mario players arent currently at a high enough level to challenge me yet no offense

Rawkuz

Smash Cadet
Mario is in a perfect spot when it comes to some of the others on the roster. Sick punishes, mean rushdown and great ways to defend himself.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
lawl
btw once I play a rookie in a mario ditto im up for mario dittos against anyone here lol I feel like the mario players arent currently at a high enough level to challenge me yet no offense
lawl this guy

Fortress

Smash Master
I'm sure I could take you with my Mario with that attitude, and he's my secondary. At the very least, Mr. M would probably trounce you.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH AND THE GAUNTLET HAS BEEN THROWN DOWN.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
They don't have to be, they get the job done and with less demanding technical skill, especially in comparison with falcon. In all honestly though, I think you're underrating mario's combo ability, sure it isn't flashy, but it works well on a lot of characters. That in combination with his other traits makes for a very threatening character.

Fortress

Smash Master
Mario has ****ing incredible and easy-to-perform combos. Who in their right mind thinks he has a mediocre combo game?

Papa+Stone

Mario has ****ing incredible and easy-to-perform combos. Who in their right mind thinks he has a mediocre combo game?
Someone good at mario and doc

They don't have to be, they get the job done and with less demanding technical skill, especially in comparison with falcon. In all honestly though, I think you're underrating mario's combo ability, sure it isn't flashy, but it works well on a lot of characters. That in combination with his other traits makes for a very threatening character.
lol i never said hes bad, hes actually underrated in this game because people are too worried about fox and falco being op to explore other characters. Hes easily as good as marth. However i had an epiphany and m ready for mario to be taken in a new direction

Papa+Stone

Listen doc is pretty good in melee but the reasons for it are not good combos. Mario in melee has decent combos and is mediocre. Pm mario is pretty good and all he is is mario+ doc with a few tweaks. His combos arent why hes good in this game. A combo based mario on the other hand would make me cry of joy

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I hate people with this "I`m the best, I won a tourney at wall-mart and that means that I am the best player ever and you all suck and I am better then you" attititude.

Papa+Stone

I hate people with this "I`m the best, I won a tourney at wall-mart and that means that I am the best player ever and you all suck and I am better then you" attititude.
Nothing wrong with winning tournaments yo. In fact id say winning more tournaments in wal mart makes you much better than someone with no walmart experience

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
so ur upset because u cant auto 0-death

Papa+Stone

Mario deserves auto deaths from 0 hes mario im far more mad that mario cant perform 0 deaths than i am about not doing any 0 deaths as mario

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
well im off this hmu for a ditto anytime ill be glad to record the matches

goodluck with mario

Papa+Stone

Im better than the rest of you not for my record of astounding victories at walmart, but because i dont complain about melee top tiers and dont exclusively play a game where my main is improved

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I know, and I never meant to imply that you thought he was necessarily bad, just that your opinion of his combo potential is different from mine. Though I disagree with the sentiment that he needs a new direction, there isn't any data to support this at all. Nor do I see many people sharing the same opinion as you, sorry to say.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Upset over Mario's balance and lack of 0-death combos? Now I know you're joking.
HE`S NOT JOKING! WHO WOUDN`T BE OUTRAGED ABOUT THE FACT THAT MARIO IS BALANCED AND NOT BROKEN! HOW DARE THEY NOT MAKE EVERY MOVE DO 999 DAMAGE!

Papa+Stone

I know, and I never meant to imply that you thought he was necessarily bad, just that your opinion of his combo potential is different from mine. Though I disagree with the sentiment that he needs a new direction, there isn't any data to support this at all. Nor do I see many people sharing the same opinion as you, sorry to say.
Yeah its a bummer i guess. I know now that this battle is lost

Top Bottom