• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon

Are you hyped for Splatoon?

• Total voters

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621

I think it's safe to say that aside from Smash 4, Splatoon was a game that got a lot of attention at E3. Now, let us discuss this game. Do you think it will do well and sell consoles in 2015? Is it deserving all the hype it has been receiving? Do you think this topic was made too soon?

Discuss.

Ifrit

Smash Rookie
Definitely hyped for Splatoon. I think the game will do okay, but I doubt this game will make people want to buy a wii u. The game is deserving of the hype as long as there is a local multiplayer option, more than a couple different stages or arenas, and smooth online play.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Really excited for this! I actually have hope that it'll be another Mario Kart for the Wii U (Although the Wii U might not be struggling when this comes out)
Edit: I've already seen a couple comments saying they're buying a Wii U for Splatoon. Things are looking promising!

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I think it's awesome. My big thoughts are whether are not it would see it's way into the Smash world. Not necessarily Sm4sh, unless they pulled a Roy, but in the future. The game is just unique and interesting as a concept. I really hope they expand on the game alot from what they had. It has wild potential. I would love to see some reference to Super Mario Sunshine too haha.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
This game speaks to me in a way only Quake has. There are a ton of a movement options, the game is fast paced, and there is alot of skill and the option for epic comebacks are possible. This game is so damn hype.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope they include pokemon inspired hats/ clothing for inklings.

Inkay, Malamar, Tenticool, Tentacruel, Octillary, etc.. Jellicent?

A shadow mario colour scheme alt costume would be cool too.

Seeing bloopers or shadow marios brush as items could be neat.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
This could be the new Melee, this game could reinvent the FPS genre. I'm generally a pessimistic person, but I would be more than happy to host tournaments and such. If I was old enough, that is.

BigBossJelly

Smash Rookie
NNID
64supermario
3DS FC
0387-8778-1783
Looks like a shooter that I could actually get really into and enjoy. Squid Girl for Smash 5!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'm going to buy it but I'm also worried it's too sugary for the average shooter fans, ergo: Not very much people online to play with.
I hope I'm wrong.

BigBossJelly

Smash Rookie
NNID
64supermario
3DS FC
0387-8778-1783
I'm going to buy it but I'm also worried it's too sugary for the average shooter fans, ergo: Not very much people online to play with.
I hope I'm wrong.
That would suck, since the game is made to be an online game.

Last edited:

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
Was never really a shooter fan but this looks really fun and multiplayer based, which is always a bonus. Depending on the amount of money I have upon its release, it'll be day one for me.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Given the unique gameplay, yes, I am excited for Splatoon. Not only that, but it'll also help my Wii U game library grow. My only gripe is lack of local multiplayer, but hopefully, Nintendo will hear and read feedback from consumers and add a local feature, even if it means requiring another Wii U game pad.

R0Y

Smash Master
Looks pretty sweet, Inklings included. They'd better flesh it out a lot if it's a full-priced release though.

The girl playing on the left is serious supermodel material O.o

Quillion

Smash Hero
Bumping.

I think it's AWESOME that Nintendo is actually putting effort into making a big new franchise.

And by that I mean BIG new franchise, not just any new franchise (the majority of them in recent memory have been eShop titles).

Nerf Herder EX

Smash Rookie

I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us.

Rosco

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5202-8834
My hopes is that Splatoon does fantastically.

My thoughts are that it will end up a beloved cult game, fondly remembered as a high point by those that bothered to pick it up but overlooked by most. Look to it to be the game people are scooping as a must have when WiiUs have stopped production.

Though I won't completely cut out hardcore FPS players from this. Despite image, mechanics go a long way for FPS fun and there looks to be a lot of creative and fun things that Splatoon will pull out of its bag of tricks that could catch the attention of the strategic gameplay minded.

Quillion

Smash Hero
We got a new trailer, guys!

It shows of the single player mode. And it actually looks awesome; I love TPS-platformers!

the8thark

Smash Lord
If there are good AI bots to play against in that and there is a reason in game (rewards possibly) to spam vs matches in this then I'll think about getting it. If this game is light on the single player content then it's a no go for me.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
The more I see of this game the more I like the look of it.

Still though, I can't shake the feeling that it would've been awesome if they put it in Isle Delfino and had you playing as transforming Bloopers. Final boss of the single player would be Mario and F.L.U.D.D.

Real talk though a new IP will do Nintendo good, hopefully.

finalark

SNORLAX
Something about that single player trailer really makes me think of Jet Set Radio. Maybe its that particular style of music mixed with the colorful characters. Either way, I like it!

Vellocet

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vellocet
3DS FC
4699-7805-1419
Looks like im the only one not hyped for the game.
I would like to be proven wrong, since to me it looks like something i wouldnt play longer then an hour.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Its so fast and like that you don't have to kill each other just cover the map in your ink, that will make the game very frantic in the closing minutes. They added a single player with lore and being a squid person swimming on walls is gonna feel awesome.

I hope this sells system its a nintendo shooter and looks like its a lot fun with nice ideas.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
This and Xenoblade X are my most hyped games for this year!!!
Sorry Star Fox..... :awesome:
:bubblebobble:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So, Direct is an hour from this post. Bring all your hype this way!

Hoping for Smash amiibo compatibility for Nintendo-themed guns, sub-weapons, costumes, etc. I can only imagine that more people on the fringe would be attracted to this new game through that. Gotta induct Splatoon with a warm welcome from the Smash compendium.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Just played the demo. It's extremely fun! Unfortunately, the weapons don't seem very balanced with each other. The Splat Roller was definitely the best. One time, I played a game against a team who was only using Splat Rollers, and I knew from the very beginning that I was going to lose (I did). But overall, it was really fun.

Typhlosion09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Typhlosion09
3DS FC
0473-9119-9001
Just played the demo. It's extremely fun! Unfortunately, the weapons don't seem very balanced with each other. The Splat Roller was definitely the best. One time, I played a game against a team who was only using Splat Rollers, and I knew from the very beginning that I was going to lose (I did). But overall, it was really fun.
Splat rollers were NOT the best. I feel that the weapons were incredibly balanced, and Splatoon is way too fun for only 3 hours of demo time. I NEED MORE!!!!

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Splat roller seems like it'd be great to corner someone with, but once you remember 'oh right, i have a squid form' and stick to your own ink (which took me most of the time i played), you can kite them fairly easily.

Also, the Bubbler/shield prevents the insta-kill from it. I think Bubbler also prevents slowdown in enemy ink, but I'm not 100% on that!

Last edited:

Typhlosion09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Typhlosion09
3DS FC
0473-9119-9001
Well I used the standard one (splattershot i think) and literally everyone else would use the paint roller and I would destroy them by doing what you mentioned. It was a blast, especially because I was really good, always getting above 800p when my team lost and 1000p when we won.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I'm so jealous of people owning a wii U right now and it's because of this game.. Don't get me wrong, Wii U has tons of quality games but this one makes me really want to buy one (but I'm broke atm)

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Splat rollers were NOT the best. I feel that the weapons were incredibly balanced, and Splatoon is way too fun for only 3 hours of demo time. I NEED MORE!!!!
Eh. Let's agree to disagree! :)
It probably will get better once people get more skilled at the other weapons, but at the moment, I feel that the Splat Roller was the best.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
Convince me why I should buy Splatoon. I was only able to play one match on the testfire before it ended. It felt extremely fun, but I need more information before I pledge $60.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Convince me why I should buy Splatoon. I was only able to play one match on the testfire before it ended. It felt extremely fun, but I need more information before I pledge $60.
Splatoon is going to be perhaps the first big Wii U release of 2015, and those who have played the Testfire (you included) have caught the draft of hype enough to show that they are invested in the experience by trying it early. Splatoon looks to have a lot of bang for your buck with a single-player campaign, a strong multiplayer mode bevying a couple modes from the get-go, tons of customization in appearance and weapon sets, constantly-updated post-launch content and map rotation, special events that occur in real time, & amiibo functionality that goes to unlockables (if you're into that sort of thing.)

Splatoon's release is shaping up to be strong. And if the impressions from preview events & the Testfire are anything to go by, the hype will pay off. Drop $60 on the game alone around launch if you want to show Nintendo that you support this new IP.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Am I the only one who's secretly hoping for a chance to play as the octoling as an alt skin in Splatoon? It would seem like a waste of a good character model if they were just enemies. Maybe you could unlock them after you beat the single player campaign? It would be cool to see Inkling and octoling team ups in an online environment as well. Just pick your character model, and play! Plus, it would be cool to see an octoling boy for a change too. If this isn't planned already, they should def have an upcoming Splatoon DLC for octoling alt skins for online play.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I was hype before... after the demo, I'm fiending. Can't wait!

Be sure to check out Squidboards.com as well. It clearly piggybacked (I see it as a tribute to how well this site does) from smashboards and is worth joining or checking out.

Top Bottom