• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon

Are you hyped for Splatoon?

• Total voters

Typhlosion09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Typhlosion09
3DS FC
0473-9119-9001
Squidboards? That actually sounds pretty interesting.

Oh and hi Omni, I'm subbed to your youtube

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Hory sheit it's Omni how ya doin'!?

Looks like Splatoon's going to round off Nintendo online multiplayer for the rest of the Wii U's life. Arranging groups for this is going to make the best of it's limited online communication.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Ok, picked the game up today, and I must say it's not half bad at all. Controls definitely took some getting used to, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I've also streamed the first two story zones, so that should be up shortly on youtube :)

Do we have any other smashers playing the game? If so, post your NID and let's get some games going!

Mine is K7Sniper

finalark

SNORLAX
So now that the game's out, I've got a few questions for everyone who has a copy: Is the single player any good and is there local multiplayer?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I've only played the first set of levels and boss in the single-player campaign. I can assure you that you'll find yourself entertained in how each level introduces a new gimmick that plays with the ink mechanic in some versatile ways. In fact, it's almost a shame they display all these potential uses not in any multiplayer maps. However, the way it is initiated feels really rushed. Like, you feel "thrown in" to the game setting with any proper immersion, all through dialogue poses and awkward stiff character animation. Oh, and Captain Cuddlefish's dialogue lacks a lot of impact with his Banjo-Kazooie-ish gibberish and becomes something akin to background noise, where you can go through the entire campaign disregarding his existance.

Only 1-v-1 Duels are local multiplayer, unfortunately. I have not touched this mode yet, as multiplayer seems to dull it even further in comparison than to the single player. If a splitscreen 5-player Turf War mode was planned at some point in development, I'm rather disappointed that the breadth of content that came in the final package truncated some of the features that could've gave this game more substance.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've been on the fence on if I want to get this game at launch or wait until it drops down to $30-40. Right now it sounds like something I wouldn't be satisfied paying full price for. The fact that the local multiplayer is just 1v1 instead of 2v2 teams or even 4v4 bots really hurts it for me.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Well, that's mainly because of the fact that only one Wii U screen controller can be connected at a time.

It is kinda needed because of the map.

The single player is rather fun though.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
It feels like a game that can actually stick around for a while... as long as there are a couple improvements (like private game rooms for friends, control scheme options, etc). Otherwise it's rather fun.

If you want to see some gameplay, I've recorded the intro and the first two story mode zones :)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Well, that's mainly because of the fact that only one Wii U screen controller can be connected at a time.

It is kinda needed because of the map.

The single player is rather fun though.
They could have brought up the map with Minus (-) on the player's quarter of the screen. There really isn't an excuse to have bad local multiplayer.

finalark

SNORLAX
They could have brought up the map with Minus (-) on the player's quarter of the screen. There really isn't an excuse to have bad local multiplayer.
I was literally just about to post this point.

Really, the lack of quality local multiplayer is a huge deal breaker for me. Maybe if they patch it in later then I'll consider picking it up for $60. But from the reviews I've read it just comes off to me as a game I really don't want to pay full price for. Which is a shame, because I want to support a new IP but I don't want to regret buying it either.

Typhlosion09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Typhlosion09
3DS FC
0473-9119-9001
I've played this game nonstop since release, don't worry if you feel it isn't worth buying, IT IS. Out of the billions and billions of matches I've played, only one was disconnected mid match. Plus, this game's online multiplayer is too addicting to pass away. I don't know how many times I've told myself "one more match" only for me to keep playing for another 2-3 hours. Seriously, buy this game unless you have bad internet because I didn't like the single player all too much

Last edited:

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Ok, I think I have come across an issue.

Are you able to sell/delete gear from your inventory?

The reason I ask is that the random ability I got for leveling a piece of gear isn't one that I really care for, and I cannot buy a new piece of the same item from the shop as they say I already have that item... So far, I can't seem to find a way to do so, nor is there any info online. Anyone else notice this, or knows a way to do this?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Ok, I think I have come across an issue.

Are you able to sell/delete gear from your inventory?

The reason I ask is that the random ability I got for leveling a piece of gear isn't one that I really care for, and I cannot buy a new piece of the same item from the shop as they say I already have that item... So far, I can't seem to find a way to do so, nor is there any info online. Anyone else notice this, or knows a way to do this?
:link:
Hhmm. . . I just checked (very quickly) myself, and didn't see a way to do so either. I suppose you're stuck with what you have. Now, if you really like the look of a piece of clothing, but don't have good enough attributes on it specifically, I think you could do the exchange thing with Spyke to potentially get the same piece if you find someone else with it in your plaza (you could also eventually increase stat slots of clothing with a lesser amount after you reach level 20 in Turf, I believe?).

Speaking of which, any of you good people here reach Level 20 yet? I posted about reaching it myself early yesterday! It didn't take too long since I pretty much average at least a 1,000 every match (bar some mishaps that are bound to happen, of course). I feel like I'm a pretty high-level player. Ha ha. Use the terrain to your advantage, guys! Climbing up walls and stuff really does make a difference in how dynamic your movements are, and the stage layouts in general.

Edit: Having fun with Ranked now, too! I haven't gotten to play much, so I am only at "B-" for the moment, but all in due time.

Last edited:

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
I'm currently level 10 myself, but mostly been spending my time in story mode. I really hope they do patch in a sell function or something soon. It does get very frustrating that I get stuck with a crap piece of gear with a good look.

Oh by the way, the next part of my Let's Play of story mode is up :)

Update:
I tried the Ranked mode today. The first match... was one hell of a learning experience. This is definitely different than the Regular matches, that's for sure, for good and for really bad.

Another update!:
Fourth Story Mode Zone :)

Last edited:

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Finally sat down to finish the fifth and final zone in story mode. Recorded it for anyone who is interested :)

The final boss fight starts at 54:10

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I am in love with this game. I still need to finish the story though. Both my wife and my 6 year old son have beaten it... I've mostly been playing online. I'm currently level 14. It's just a different style of game and extremely fun to play.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Whew, just won my first turf battle. Lost twice before that but I think I still provided for the team pretty well.

Really enjoying it so far, it's really intense. Definitely reminds me of the tension (good tension!) when playing a game like Team Fortress.

Is there a way to change your hair colour that shows up to other players? Or are you just stuck with changing your hair colour every time you play an online battle?

Dan

Smash Lord
Any advice for using weapons that aren't the ink roller, lol?

Top Bottom