• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon Has Been Released

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't see much of a problem that other Nintendo games aside from Smash get some coverage once in a while. After all, Smash is a collection of Nintendo franchises and contains a treasure trove of the company's history as well, to the point that one can even say that Smash Bros. = Nintendo.
Splatoon is a new franchise coming to join the ranks of other gaming series so it's relatively harmless to publish articles about it, even if it's not in Smash. Yet.
I say, some people are bothered by this too much and blow the issue out of proportion when this is a "problem" that can simply be solved by not clicking the article. But I guess that would make too much sense

L1GHT

Adventures start At Dawn
i dont think it can become competitive because you need 8 wii u's to have one battle. while in smash you need 1

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
i dont think it can become competitive because you need 8 wii u's to have one battle. while in smash you need 1
That's so true.

Assumed that there are tournaments, hosting one is going to be VERY pricey if you're going to have more than one game playing at a time. Considering the prices for hosting a Splatoon tournament, the entry fee for a tournament is most likely going to be outrageous. With an outrageous entry fee, I'm pretty sure it'll turn a lot of people off, and then the "competitive" scene will crumble.

EDIT: Aren't there 1v1s in Splatoon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that 1v1s may lead the "competitive" scene. This way may still be a bit pricey, but it may be able to work out. 1v1s seem way more likely to work out than 4v4s.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's so true.

Assumed that there are tournaments, hosting one is going to be VERY pricey if you're going to have more than one game playing at a time. Considering the prices for hosting a Splatoon tournament, the entry fee for a tournament is most likely going to be outrageous. With an outrageous entry fee, I'm pretty sure it'll turn a lot of people off, and then the "competitive" scene will crumble.

EDIT: Aren't there 1v1s in Splatoon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that 1v1s may lead the "competitive" scene. This may still be a bit pricey, but it may be able to work out.
Nope, there is absolutely no customisation of the ruleset. Turf War is always 4v4, 3 minutes.

Splatoon could work as an online competitive game, but the problem there is:

1) Lack of voice chat, which is essential in online competitive play, when the game is team-based.

2) You can't set up a lobby with friends and remain on the same team the whole time. The game randomly shuffles players between two teams every match.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, to me they are the same thing.

I'd rather have something like a round up of small things smash related that happened during the week, or even a past match spotlight showcasing some classic smash matches. If there is literally zero smash news (there never really is) then something like that is preferable to something unrelated to smash.

I mean, I realise tournament news doesn't exactly "bring in new people", but what of Azen coming back for EVO? Surely that'd be all the rage with those who only learnt about smash through the documentary, which is a lot of these "new visitors" anyway.

For Smash 4 news what about the "Zero Bounty" at CEO? That was last week and I don't think it was mentioned, even though Smashboards added to the bounty if I recall correctly.

Even if you get tidbits of smash news and roll them up into "This week in Smash" news topic, all of this is preferable to a non-smash game by Nintendo whose only connection to Smash is that the Miis in smash 4 have (DLC) splatoon costumes.

If that's a close enough relationship to smash to be considered smash news, where's the news about the new Fire emblem games, considering that series actually has characters represented in smash (Not that I'm saying it should be here, just pointing it out)
\

Well its not like this announcement is holding any other news back, smashboards often has several stories come out the same day, so at least theres that for you. And honestly I kinda like it just because, well, ever since screwattack went down I didn't have a nintendo related news website I go to often. But just take it that, having splatoon news, or any other news isn't cutting into smash news, even if it is kinda silly that other games are in here. (and if it is cutting into other smash news then thats smash boards fault.)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Local multiplayer would've been great. I could've brought it with me on deployments, then me and my friends would've had a blast playing it. Guess I won't buy it then.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
Tried this game at a friend's house yesterday, it's mad fun. I usually don't like playing any kind of shooter on console, but this is very enjoyable. Wish I had a Wii U though. :(

Soul.

That's so true.

EDIT: Aren't there 1v1s in Splatoon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that 1v1s may lead the "competitive" scene. This way may still be a bit pricey, but it may be able to work out. 1v1s seem way more likely to work out than 4v4s.
1v1 exists, only in local multiplayer. One player has to use the GamePad while the other one uses the Classic Controller (Pro) or Wii U Pro Controller.
I feel as though people would like it more if it were 4v4 instead of 1v1, because that's what people play more.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I don't understand what the big problem about a new game getting coverage in Smashboards. :ohwell: It's a Nintendo IP the latest game out. More than likely people want the characters from the game to be playable which is an enough reason to be on the site.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
1v1 exists, only in local multiplayer. One player has to use the GamePad while the other one uses the Classic Controller (Pro) or Wii U Pro Controller.
I feel as though people would like it more if it were 4v4 instead of 1v1, because that's what people play more.
2v2 would've been fine. Split-screen with a map in the middle, with the cursor of your character disappearing whenever you're under the ink or something.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
2v2 would've been fine. Split-screen with a map in the middle, with the cursor of your character disappearing whenever you're under the ink or something.
It really wouldn't. The game would be much worse. The GamePad is essential and having smaller teams would make the game less frenetic, which is the whole point.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It really wouldn't. The game would be much worse. The GamePad is essential and having smaller teams would make the game less frenetic, which is the whole point.
So I assume then that 1v1 is even less frenetic? That multiplayer mode could've just been expanded to 2v2, or hell 4-man free-for-all, from what I've read about it. Just like every other couch multiplayer experience.

Last edited:

L1GHT

Adventures start At Dawn
Nope, there is absolutely no customisation of the ruleset. Turf War is always 4v4, 3 minutes.

Splatoon could work as an online competitive game, but the problem there is:

1) Lack of voice chat, which is essential in online competitive play, when the game is team-based.

2) You can't set up a lobby with friends and remain on the same team the whole time. The game randomly shuffles players between two teams every match.
as we all know nintendo doesnt like to embrace competetive play so they make it hard for their hardcore fans to come together. they dont want us to make something out of splatoon. if you look up casual in the dictionary, nintendo's picture is there.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
as we all know nintendo doesnt like to embrace competetive play so they make it hard for their hardcore fans to come together. they dont want us to make something out of splatoon. if you look up casual in the dictionary, nintendo's picture is there.
I don't think that's entirely true.

But it is in the case of Splatoon.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Ok, just to verify:

the page has evolved from just cvering Smash to covering ll Nintendo games that can have competitive scenes-Smash, Splatoon, and Pokken(no Pokemon yet, sadly.)

And I honestly see no issue with this. I mean this is a Nintendo franchise, and Nintendo is looking to try and connect to us more.

I mean hell, if the Pokemon site was able to go as far as making THIS an article: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/making-the-jump-to-video-game-competitive-play/

...I think the times are a changin' for the better.

HonestThtr

Smash Rookie
I may be responding to the wrong thread. Sorry if that is the case. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was still possible to vote for DLC characters for Smash for WiiU? I'm kind of suprised that the Inklings aren't in there, but a stage from Woolly World is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom