• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon Has Been Released

D

Deleted member

I got nothing against Splatoon, but is the Smashboards news page for Smash news or Nintendo news? :ohwell:
If it's for smash news, then why is this here?
If it's for Nintendo news, then why don't we see more about other games and developments?
I think it's for both kinds of news, but I've been noticing most are inclined for more Smash-related news.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I think it's for both kinds of news, but I've been noticing most are inclined for more Smash-related news.
Hmmm... Makes me wonder how they choose what makes the news page and what doesn't. Do they leave it up to the writers what they write about and just review the articles they submit before they're allowed on the page?

Would you be willing to shed some light on this, @ Mikkelmann Mikkelmann ?

Last edited:

Soul.

If I'm to be honest, the game does not catch my interest. I suppose I'm in the "not interested club."
The hype seems "forced" to some, but I think that's just people being interested in the game since its announcement. After all, it's a new franchise; not expecting people to get hyped is a bit weird.

With Squidboards existing, competitive Splatoon seems necessary due to the nature of the game; shooters are inherently competitive. Just because the game is inherently competitive does not mean it has to be one, but people do it otherwise. I don't think it's a bad idea; it just seems... forced, forcible, necessary, so to speak—this is coming from someone who has no interest in the game (if any at all). Sure, "shooters" can be fun, but... you know, who am I to say something.

The gameplay is looking stale so far and it's day 1; I'm sure players will try to help find new "advanced" tips and the like. Splatdashing (or w/e that's called) and quick turning are already "advanced."

If competitive Splatoon is done for (if it ever happens), the game will still be fun, especially to those who liked it since day 1. I do wish the game had support for the Wii U Pro Controller in every single thing the game has; not just local multiplayer. Likewise, having a stage map on the TV screen is a possibility.

Just my two cents. I respect those who like the game and its community, and I hope all goes well.

Last edited:

Dinn3r

Smash Rookie
NNID
Th34wesomeness
I actually started a youtube channel almost exclusively for Splatoon and sometimes smash.

D

Deleted member

Hmmm... Makes me wonder how they choose what makes the news page and what doesn't. Do they leave it up to the writers what they write about and just review the articles they submit before they're allowed on the page?

Would be willing to shed some light on this, @ Mikkelmann Mikkelmann ?
Hmm, not sure. Better ask him.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I wonder why SmashBoards has advertised Splatoon so much. Did Nintendo pay you to do this? This place is called *Smash*Boards for a reason. You'd never see any Splatoon-related content on /r/SmashBros.
Ye, like, what does Splatoon have to to with Smash.
It's silly.

D

Deleted member

You know, this should have been posted in Squidboards, but I have nothing against posting it here instead.

Whatever works!

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
@ Soul. Soul. Something's wrong. SmashBoards' news *should* be about Smash-related content only. If I want Nintendo-related news, I'd pay a visit to Nintendo-related websites.

@ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix You seem to like conspiracy theories by repeating the same thing on this thread. For this special occasion, I've made another one just for you! I hope you will like it.

The advertisement of a Splatoon competitive community on SmashBoards will be damaging to the Smash 4 competitive community on SmashBoards.

My hypothesis is that a significant portion of the Smash 4 players will migrate to Splatoon and possibly never come back. Is it a bad thing? Maybe not! Perhaps Splatoon has a great future. However, Smash 4 is already struggling into being a strong and united community like Melee. I don't believe the people who try to build a strong Smash 4 competitive community would like SmashBoards, Home of the Smash Community, to invite people to move on to Splatoon.

(Please excuse my bad English.)

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Side forums are fine, purely because it's not the first thing you see when you come on the site. The front page of Smashboards should be Smash related. Or at least, I think it should be.
The way I like to interpret off-topic forums is that they are the exception, where people go to talk to other Smashers, but about non-Smash topics.

Just something I noticed from previous experiences with other forums.
Fair enough.

@Smashboards should put out a poll asking members whether or not they want/are ok with non-Smash related content on the news page.

EDIT: I guess tagging Smashboards in this post won't get anything done, though. Probably better to tag someone like @AlphaZealot or @Warchamp7

Last edited:

Noventia

Smash Cadet
My copy is literally in the damn lorry coming to me right now. I swear I'm looking outside every 2 minutes.

Soul.

@ Soul. Soul. Something's wrong. SmashBoards' news *should* be about Smash-related content only. If I want Nintendo-related news, I'd pay a visit to Nintendo-related websites.

@ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix You seem to like conspiracy theories by repeating the same thing on this thread. For this special occasion, I've made another one just for you! I hope you will like it.

The advertisement of a Splatoon competitive community on SmashBoards will be damaging to the Smash 4 competitive community on SmashBoards.

My hypothesis is that a significant portion of the Smash 4 players will migrate to Splatoon and possibly never come back. Is it a bad thing? Maybe not! Perhaps Splatoon has a great future. However, Smash 4 is already struggling into being a strong and united community like Melee. I don't believe the people who try to build a strong Smash 4 competitive community would like SmashBoards, Home of the Smash Community, to invite people to move on to Splatoon.

While you may be right, it was ultimately decided by the staff to post non-Smash news—or at least, that's what I heard. To some, tournament news fail to catch their interest, so seeing news about other games is a "cool" change of pace. They did this with Pokkén Tournament, too—they posted news about the game; there seems to be a balance of Smash Bros. and other Nintendo game news. News are still focused on Smash.

Smash 4 players will go play Splatoon for a while, but eventually it will have its own community (regardless of Smash players being in).

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
While you may be right, it was ultimately decided by the staff to post non-Smash news—or at least, that's what I heard. To some, tournament news fail to catch their interest, so seeing news about other games is a "cool" change of pace. They did this with Pokkén Tournament, too—they posted news about the game; there seems to be a balance of Smash Bros. and other Nintendo game news. News are still focused on Smash.

Smash 4 players will go play Splatoon for a while, but eventually it will have its own community (regardless of Smash players being in).
It's almost like they post news about Nintendo games that could potentially have a competitive scene. Shocking.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I got nothing against Splatoon, but is the Smashboards news page for Smash news or Nintendo news? :ohwell:
If it's for smash news, then why is this here?
If it's for Nintendo news, then why don't we see more about other games and developments?
Because the Splatoon and smash communities are very close at this moment...

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Honest question here:

Why is Splatoon good? It's very ugly, its concept is uninteresting, its memes are horribly forced, its gameplay is underwhelming, and there's the terrible local multiplayer. What do people like in it?
I was thinking the same things, until I got ahold of the game, and now I see the charm and pre childish fun it is, while still being competitive! I DEFINETELY recommend you give it a try... It MAY be better than smash imp, and this is coming from. A guy that plays smash 4 several hours a day and goes to smash fests.,.. They are tied for me because at least in my opinion they are both very big, and lots to unlock competitive games!

D

Deleted member

Honest question here:

Why is Splatoon good? It's very ugly, its concept is uninteresting, its memes are horribly forced, its gameplay is underwhelming, and there's the terrible local multiplayer. What do people like in it?
My honest answer? I think the concept is an elaborative, perhaps unoriginal, setup, and kind of a fun middleground for people who are good and bad at shooters. It allows people who aren't good at actually aiming and shooting at people to still be a pretty good asset to the team.

I don't know what you're talking about with the memes. If you mean the Squid Sisters, then sure, I can understand that. As for the gameplay being underwhelming, I really don't think there's any objective indication for making that good or bad for some. I found it underwhelming when seeing it, but I really enjoyed it when I played it.

As for the local multiplayer, there's no good excuse. They made 8-player Smash local-only which is baffling, and there could as well be maps made for 4 people locally if that would be and issue. And of course some more elaborate co-op for 2 people.

And in terms of it being ugly I just disagree. I find most of the character designs weird but charming, and the ink effects are fun to look at. But beauty is subjective and all, y'know.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Would you rather have no news this morning or splatoon news?
Honestly, to me they are the same thing.

I'd rather have something like a round up of small things smash related that happened during the week, or even a past match spotlight showcasing some classic smash matches. If there is literally zero smash news (there never really is) then something like that is preferable to something unrelated to smash.

I mean, I realise tournament news doesn't exactly "bring in new people", but what of Azen coming back for EVO? Surely that'd be all the rage with those who only learnt about smash through the documentary, which is a lot of these "new visitors" anyway.

For Smash 4 news what about the "Zero Bounty" at CEO? That was last week and I don't think it was mentioned, even though Smashboards added to the bounty if I recall correctly.

Even if you get tidbits of smash news and roll them up into "This week in Smash" news topic, all of this is preferable to a non-smash game by Nintendo whose only connection to Smash is that the Miis in smash 4 have (DLC) splatoon costumes.

If that's a close enough relationship to smash to be considered smash news, where's the news about the new Fire emblem games, considering that series actually has characters represented in smash (Not that I'm saying it should be here, just pointing it out)

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
What I want to know is when are the Splatoon Mii fighter suit codes useable?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
♫ Hey, now, you're a Squid Now get your game on, go play
Hey, now, you're a Kid Now get the show on get paid ♫

:laugh:

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Yes, repeating myself (only twice mind you) because certain in this who don't understand my point have thick af skulls :troll:

Also, I don't get how having a competitive shooter such as Splatoon, (game that is of a completely different genre to Smash 4) will suddenly damage Smash 4's competitive community because they aren't united like Melee.

Your "conspiracy theory" makes no sense whatsoever, but k whatever :p

I see this as more of an advertisement of Squidboards anyway lol XD :p

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I have to admit, I've had a kinda weird relationship with Splatoon... I love absolutely everything about it: gameplay, originality, the character designs... And it's a new IP. It's everything I could want from a game.

The only problem is, it's multiplayer focused, and I'm just not into games like that, barring Smash. I even played the testfire and loved it, had a great time for the one hour I was on. I just have a problem playing open-ended games like this for long periods... I'll play for a bit, but I either start to feel like I'm wasting time (yes I know you do that in single player game too, it just feels different), or I get scared off by competitive people once the strategies start to become hyper developed. I just prefer to play solo games that have a defined end; all that leaves is splatoon's campaign, and that's only about 5 or so hours I hear. After paying a full 60$ for about the same amount of single-player content in MK8, I'm a little leery of doing the same thing again, even if it is a cool new concept like splatoon. It kills me because I want to like it, to be excited about the new IP... but at that price, I just can't.

I just wish the game's solo mode better matched its multiplayer. As it is, I feel like it just wasn't made for me, despite looking exactly like the kind of game I'd like. On some level I always knew it would end up that way, but I guess I wanted to hope maybe I could make myself enjoy the multiplayer... When it came time to drop that cash though, I knew I couldn't. Maybe when it gets discounted I'll bite, but right now I'm just disappointed by the reality of what I already knew hitting me...

Sorry for the rant... guess that'd been building up this whole road to release...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

As a Splatoon player who in fact identifies as a kid and not a squid, I find Squidboards' slogan very offensive, racist, and discriminatory. What is so wrong with being a kid that us kids are shunned from Splatoon society? Why are we not given equal rights, privileges, and representation? Why are squids treated with a higher priority than kids? Smashboards should be ashamed of associating themselves with such a close minded community that is not inclusive of kids, and gives squids extra privileges.

#DownWithTheSquidtriarchy

I don't actually play the game though as I don't think it's worth the price of admission right now. I'll wait until it has actual content, then I will consider it and maybe 360 noscope scrubs online.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
@ Trieste SP Trieste SP

Yes the game is pretty cool. The gameplay might seem simple but it is quite fast, dynamic. Going from winning to losing in the last 15 seconds is a thing that happens >.<

Fun! That is all that matters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love how half the posts are from people complaining that this shouldn't be on the front news page. Is it really that difficult for you to not comment on articles that don't interest you, or do you simply lack self control?

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Smash is a game dedicated to the history of Nintendo. Splatoon is now officially a part of that history, like it or not, and it is entirely possible that more references to it will be included in Smash at some point in the future.

Top Bottom