• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon Direct Talks Weapons, Gear, Ranked Battles, And A Demo!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That doesn't excuse not having a voice chat option. They clearly made these weapons as a compromise AFTER they decided "no voice chat". It absolutely should have been an option at least for friends. It wouldn't have made the map useless either, you still need that for Super Jumping, checking how much territory there is, organising flanks, etc. All shooting games have a map of sorts and still have voice chat. Literally the only reason it doesn't exist is because "SOME PEOPLE ARE MEANIES ONLINE".

Also it's far from the biggest complaint people have. This game is devoid of content at launch, a lot of it being locked behind €15 figures (with more of those figures to come). That's awful practice. Also, 5 maps at launch is pathetic for a AAA shooter. Not to mention that you can't form your own parties. And many other cases of missing content and features.
But it's fun.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/

Scroll down and you'll see the Inkling Costumes with a release of Summer 2015 and where the prices usually are it says: TBD

So I'm guessing they'll be available later probably at the time Lucas is released, so no worries :cool:

SilentSpartan

Smash Cadet
NNID
QuietGreninja
3DS FC
4570-9370-4123
That doesn't excuse not having a voice chat option. They clearly made these weapons as a compromise AFTER they decided "no voice chat".
Let's not make assumptions. We weren't there when the game was being developed, so we have no base for claims like that. We start making assumptions, and we're going further down the path of baseless accusations rather than judging based on what we know for sure.

It absolutely should have been an option at least for friends. It wouldn't have made the map useless either, you still need that for Super Jumping, checking how much territory there is, organising flanks, etc. All shooting games have a map of sorts and still have voice chat. Literally the only reason it doesn't exist is because "SOME PEOPLE ARE MEANIES ONLINE".
Yeah, not going to lie and say that that doesn't piss me off a little bit, especially that last bit. Yeah, people are assholes, especially on the internet, where there's little to no consequence for it. Welcome to the real world, am I right? Now, all they're doing is punishing those who aren't guilty of that sort of behavior.

Also it's far from the biggest complaint people have. This game is devoid of content at launch, a lot of it being locked behind €15 figures (with more of those figures to come). That's awful practice. Also, 5 maps at launch is pathetic for a AAA shooter. Not to mention that you can't form your own parties. And many other cases of missing content and features.
Okay, to be fair, I personally thought games like Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 to be severely lacking in content at launch. Don't see people complaining about those games as they flock in droves to the paid DLC that came soon after. People are complaining about a lack of content at launch now, when in full honesty, they're a bit late to the party. I myself turned in both those games by this point, and don't see myself picking them up again.

This is just what happens when Nintendo "gets with the times" like people have been insisting since the Wii U came out. Now that they have, they're doing stupid things like every other major AAA company. Is it stupid? Yes. But were people asking for it without fully realizing it? Yes. Which means we're partially to blame as well.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Stayed off the Internet all day while being swamped at work and finally watched it around 5PM EST... so much hype. I didn't miss much, but I had no idea what they were going to announce. Day one buy for this and I am excited to be able to play the demo this weekend.

D

Deleted member

Okay, to be fair, I personally thought games like Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 to be severely lacking in content at launch. Don't see people complaining about those games as they flock in droves to the paid DLC that came soon after. People are complaining about a lack of content at launch now, when in full honesty, they're a bit late to the party. I myself turned in both those games by this point, and don't see myself picking them up again.

This is just what happens when Nintendo "gets with the times" like people have been insisting since the Wii U came out. Now that they have, they're doing stupid things like every other major AAA company. Is it stupid? Yes. But were people asking for it without fully realizing it? Yes. Which means we're partially to blame as well.
Just gonna say this real fast. There's a stark difference between the paid content of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon right now, which is that one is locked behind a paywall and developed AFTER the main game was finished, and the other has locked content which is developed BEFORE the main game was finished.

You can say what you like about how "finished" a game seems to be when released content-wise. If something as large as a gamemode is locked behind a paywall (i.e. amiibo) exclusive to that one game, it's kind of evolving itself into dubious territory. We need to, as customers, make Nintendo aware that such an extend of the modern times isn't what we want at all.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I'm totally with you @ ChikoLad ChikoLad , the free updates is like when I buy a car I can't drive it immediately. They showed us the modes, so it's done, why won't you just put it in day 1?? Why amiibos for every single game? It just feels like I'm missing out if I don't buy those toys. And the maps and modes are surely STILL not enough! CS:GO, for example, its main mode that people play is de_ maps, but there is always Arms Race, Demolition, Deathmatch, cs_ maps, even workshop maps if you get bored. Not to say about TF2, payload, cp, koth, ctf... compare it to splatoon.

but still might get splatoon tho

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I find the justapoxition of Sakurai recently bringing up again how much he hates releasing an unfinshed game and Splatoon being one of the most blatantly unfinished game's I've seen funny. Not hypocritical, since Sakurai has nothing to do with this game, but funny. Splatoon at launch is basicly an open beta.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
#disappointing have to wait till tonight in straya :(

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I find the justapoxition of Sakurai recently bringing up again how much he hates releasing an unfinshed game and Splatoon being one of the most blatantly unfinished game's I've seen funny. Not hypocritical, since Sakurai has nothing to do with this game, but funny. Splatoon at launch is basicly an open beta.
Funny how some smash games take 5+ years to reach that level of completion and still get booed for not sticking to the formula. (I love all things smash, don't get it twisted)

Splatoon at launch is basically something I can get my hands on and play, I don't want to wait any longer after that demo. Minecraft was a WIP success, expect many games to follow this strategy.

personally I can't wait and had so much fun in the short time I had with the game already. I would happily play just the two stages for weeks, but I'm a competitive minded individual who's pretty used to repetition.

Last edited:

SuperAtrain

Smash Rookie
Inklings for Smash Bros. DLC!!(Not Just Costumes) More amiibo useage, and more advetising, and MORE MONEY!!!

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure all GameStop stores internationally count. Whenever Nintendo says GameStop, the same offer arrives at EB Games here in Canada.
If only...
Either these exclusives are sold normally here in Sweden (like Amiibos, which is good) – or it isn't sold at all (DLC costume and Amiibo-package, which is really bad)

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
"buy the Amiibo, get the stuff", it's "buy the Amiibo to unlock the ability to unlock the stuff".
That's exactly what Amiibos are - On-disc Locked Content - DLC hidden as figurines.
But most people doesn't realise this.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
That's exactly what Amiibos are - On-disc Locked Content - DLC hidden as figurines.
I hate amiibos, the idea of them is exactly what took me away from Microsoft and Sony, where DLC was everything to them. I get that they're figures, but Nintendo shouldn't do this, despite it's popular demand. When everyone finds out what they really are, and what Nintendo's intention is, they'll just leave the Wii U for something else.

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
I hate amiibos, the idea of them is exactly what took me away from Microsoft and Sony, where DLC was everything to them. I get that they're figures, but Nintendo shouldn't do this, despite it's popular demand. When everyone finds out what they really are, and what Nintendo's intention is, they'll just leave the Wii U for something else.
Not sure how Sony handled DLC, but i don't know if Microsoft have DLC themselves.

• Forza (Turn 10) released twice the amount of "premium" high quality cars than GranTurismo. And expanded with DLC for those who wanted more.
• Halo (Bungie, 343i) comes with many stages, with DLC announced later, after the game release.
• Project Spark (Team Dakota) is free to play, with paid DLC to expand the experience.

Don't confuse that with what Activision or EA (Games, DICE, Sports) does.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Not sure how Sony handled DLC, but i don't know if Microsoft have DLC themselves.

• Forza (Turn 10) released twice the amount of "premium" high quality cars than GranTurismo. And expanded with DLC for those who wanted more.
• Halo (Bungie, 343i) comes with many stages, with DLC announced later, after the game release.
• Project Spark (Team Dakota) is free to play, with paid DLC to expand the experience.

Don't confuse that with what EA (Games, DICE, Sports) does.
Oops, my bad, I'll edit the post. There are certain games at the top of my head that release day one DLC which is bad enough, but releasing locked content, no matter the size, for 13 or more dollars is pretty stupid.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They haven't been that so far. Most of the stuff they do so far has been extremely minor cosmetic unlocks that actually reflect the character you scan in, or something like Smash and Mario Party, where they are used as peripherals and are needed for the mechanic they represent to work.

Last edited:

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
Oops, my bad, I'll edit the post. There are certain games at the top of my head that release day one DLC which is bad enough, but releasing locked content, no matter the size, for 13 or more dollars is pretty stupid.
I shouldn't act like such a Microsoft-fanboy; but people should be able to tell the difference on Activision/EA from Microsoft. (They did develop for Nintendo-consoles back in the day too).

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
They haven't been that so far. Most of the stuff they do so far has been extremely minor cosmetic unlocks that actually reflect the character you scan in, or something like Smash and Mario Party, where they are used as peripherals and are needed for the mechanic they represent to work.
• Mario Party has a locked game mode where stages are locked behind Amiibos.
• Mario Kart Wii offered free outfits for your mii. MK8 has more outfits, but all locked behind Amiibos.
• Hyrule Warrior has a weapon locked behind an Amiibo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
• Mario Party has a locked game mode where stages are locked behind Amiibos.
• Mario Kart Wii offered free outfits for your mii. MK8 has more outfits, but all locked behind Amiibos.
• Hyrule Warrior has a weapon locked behind an Amiibo.
Amiibo Party is "locked" because the Amiibos are actually required to play. The mode serves no purpose without them, so you scan an Amiibo in each time you want to play it. The whole point of the mode is that you can save tokens and bases to the Amiibo, and bring it to your friend's house with all of the data intact. Also the boards are not really unlocked either, it's more a case of whichever characters players are using, you are encouraged to figure out a way to decide on what board to use, such as flipping a coin to get your characters board. It's an element of the game. Besides, as you play, you can find "board tokens", so you can mix and match the board as you play (you can even equip these after you first find them, to use at the very beginning of a match - if all four players had Rosalina tokens on their Amiibos, but none of those Amiibos were Rosalina, they could still use the full Rosalina board). I've played on the Rosalina board plenty of times despite never scanning the Amiibo in, for example.

The MK8 outfits are not "disc locked", they were added after the game's release (in the same patch that brought in the Mercedes Benz cars, I believe). They are also not an essential game component, merely cosmetic bonuses that reflect your personal character preferences. If you like Yoshi, you probably buy his Amiibo for Smash or Mario Party and for the sake of having a well made Yoshi figure, and then you get that little cosmetic bonus in MK8. It's not the same as Splatoon, where the big use of the figure is to unlock major game content. Yoshi's main use is to be used in Smash and Mario Party where the data is saved and you can then bring it around.

Hyrule Warriors is developed by Koei Tecmo, not Nintendo, and Koei Tecmo are known for doing DLC with the Warriors franchise, and Hyrule Warriors is no exception. However, once again, none of it was disc locked. Also once again, the Spinner weapon isn't a big deal, because Link has a ton of weapons already, and even more in the larger DLC packs. It is once again a case of you buying the Amiibo for Smash (or other future games where Link has a bigger use), and getting a small bonus in a game made before Amiibos released.

Last edited:
Top Bottom